"El Whatever"

Avid Brake on Giant Warp

Hi Folks!!

I have a Giant Warp DS1 '03. My rear brake (Avid Mech) has a problem. The caliper sits too high on the rotor by 2-3mm so the pads do not bite completely the rotor. This caused me warping and premature brake pad wear. My bike has only 8mo old and 354 miles. I got rid of a pair of pads too. Needless to say the rotor is all warped.

The brake heats up in long descents while the front runs just fine.

Anyone having this problem?? Am I beating a dead horse??

I'm pretty sure someone could have this problem too as the cause can be a wrong caliper or wrong washers abd it could be a bad batch from Avid which Giant did not noticed. It could be my case only too.

Any feedback on this???

Thanks
    Check my Site

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Hey, which of these two calipers do you have on your bike?

"El Whatever"

Nate...

V2. The one on the right. The post-'02 model. The one that has the BBDB MTN sticker. The V1 does not has this sticker and is more stylized as can be seen.

I'm very confused about the cause. I wrote to Avid. Let's see. Tomorrow I'll go back to my dealer but they will start by saying that they don't have any Avid spare....
    Check my Site

"El Whatever"

Nate... you're right...

I guess I only need a set of the right washers. Adapters are the same for 160/165mm as I could see at airbomb. They sell the same adapter for each rotor diameter.

My caliper is a post-'02 (good for 160mm) and rotor is 160mm. The only chance is the CPS washers.

I hope I could get them from Avid as a warranty item.
    Check my Site

mtbr member

why always avid mechanical?

I own a Giant Warp DS2, and I have been in disc-envy for at least a year now. The stock DS1 comes with Avid mechanicals, and these brakes certainly have alot of good feedback. But why not hydraulic? It seems like I have yet to find a post of someone running hydraulic discs on a Warp. Is it not possible or something? The LBS guy said that decent hydraulics are only marginally more $$ than the avid mech and worth it, so he suggested that route. Of course, he's trying to make a sale..... I know that if hydraulics are used I'd need new levers and whatever else goes along with them. Any feedback on this?

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by ewarnerusa
    I own a Giant Warp DS2, and I have been in disc-envy for at least a year now. The stock DS1 comes with Avid mechanicals, and these brakes certainly have alot of good feedback. But why not hydraulic? It seems like I have yet to find a post of someone running hydraulic discs on a Warp. Is it not possible or something? The LBS guy said that decent hydraulics are only marginally more $$ than the avid mech and worth it, so he suggested that route. Of course, he's trying to make a sale..... I know that if hydraulics are used I'd need new levers and whatever else goes along with them. Any feedback on this?

The hydro brakes include the hoses and brake lever but if your DS2 uses the Alivio integrated Shifter-brake levers, you'll need the shifters (Deore or SRAM triggers - the shitmano compatible ones - will do).

Yes you can install whatever disc you want on your DS2. I choosed the DS1 'cause the Avids. They're plain simple and can be repaired on the trail.... I can get a brake cable even in Middle-Of-Nowhere-in-Mexico but I seriously doubt I could get a hose or ferrules even at Mexico City promptly. Most of hydros are better but for me reliability is a must. Hydros would work fine for you and if you want them, go for them. Magura Julies and Hayez are cheap and good alternatives.

On what your LBS said like worthy for going hydro... it depends on you. If you want better modulation and not care about dealing with bleeding, resetting and cleaning pistons, the hydros are for you. If for you want reliability at max and do not care about dealing with cable and housing replacing and adjusting brake pads go for the Avids.

One note... the Avid is expensive indeed... but it is still better than some hydros and blows away the mechanical competition. Take a look around the Avid website. They have both a mech and a hydro cheaper brakes than the models currently available.
    Check my Site

Tater Like'um Bike Ridez!

I have avid Mechs on my Warp ds2...

Quote Originally Posted by ewarnerusa
    That was the first upgrade I gave my Warp, after a decent set of wheels of course. I went with the Avid Mechs because I have no problem working with cables and caliper mechanisms, even in the middle of nowhere, which is where I tend 2 ride. I didn't like the idea of messy fluid (especially the corrosive DOT 4 types) on my bike, and it's way easier to service myself (no bleeding/air issues.) I have ridden bikes with the Hayes hydros and wasn't too impressed with the comparison. I think with a good pair of levers (sd7) and some decent cables/routing there is little difference in feel. I think my Avid disc brakes feel more plush and have more modulation than any hydros I've tried. Plus they were cheaper too! Now that I have em on the bike, I wouldn't trade them for anything. Changing pads is easier than with Linear Brakes, and they last WAAAYYYY longer. I ran cable housing from lever to caliper which eliminates grit/dirt in the cables. I haven't pulled 'em off since I put the whole getup on over a year ago! Almost time to change my first set of brake pads too, and I've ridden many days of lift-serviced DH. I would have to change rim brake pads almost daily when riding a lift for DH before I switched to discs. Make sure you buy a quality set of hubs/rims for your DS2 first tho. You'll need the disc hubs to switch, and the stock stuff was the worst set of rims I've ever had the pleasure of bending. Either way, disc brakes are an AWESOME improvement for your bike! Whichever way you decide, practice on easy, flat ground first!!! They have a way different feel, kinda like stomping the gas in a Geo vs. stomping the gas in a Ferrari, only with momentum reversed.
    [SIZE=4]SEEK THE GNARL, LEST IT FIND YOU FIRST.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ullrite
    That was the first upgrade I gave my Warp, after a decent set of wheels of course. I went with the Avid Mechs because I have no problem working with cables and caliper mechanisms, even in the middle of nowhere, which is where I tend 2 ride. I didn't like the idea of messy fluid (especially the corrosive DOT 4 types) on my bike, and it's way easier to service myself (no bleeding/air issues.) I have ridden bikes with the Hayes hydros and wasn't too impressed with the comparison. I think with a good pair of levers (sd7) and some decent cables/routing there is little difference in feel. I think my Avid disc brakes feel more plush and have more modulation than any hydros I've tried. Plus they were cheaper too! Now that I have em on the bike, I wouldn't trade them for anything. Changing pads is easier than with Linear Brakes, and they last WAAAYYYY longer. I ran cable housing from lever to caliper which eliminates grit/dirt in the cables. I haven't pulled 'em off since I put the whole getup on over a year ago! Almost time to change my first set of brake pads too, and I've ridden many days of lift-serviced DH. I would have to change rim brake pads almost daily when riding a lift for DH before I switched to discs. Make sure you buy a quality set of hubs/rims for your DS2 first tho. You'll need the disc hubs to switch, and the stock stuff was the worst set of rims I've ever had the pleasure of bending. Either way, disc brakes are an AWESOME improvement for your bike! Whichever way you decide, practice on easy, flat ground first!!! They have a way different feel, kinda like stomping the gas in a Geo vs. stomping the gas in a Ferrari, only with momentum reversed.
    ....my disc envy grows stronger and stronger......