Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

ATX 27.5 serious trail bike?

So I just got back into biking after a 15yr. break and picked up the atx 27.5 2 due to $ restrictions, but after mounting up a set of tubeless kenda 2.25 hb's it really handles the trail well, its light and can crank uphill with ease, even over loose rock and gravel. Has anyone used this bike for trail riding and had any good/bad results?
    Im considering upgrading fork/bb/ hubs if $ allows in the future or would I be better off saving for a better bike and beating this one up till then?

Any advise would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    IMHO I'd go with the latter. I don't think it would be worth upgrading. It's a nice bike to get you back in the sport but if you end up really enjoying again you will need more bike with better components, fork and wheels. Plus you will end up spending a lot of $ upgrading!

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikers Only View Post
    IMHO I'd go with the latter. I don't think it would be worth upgrading. It's a nice bike to get you back in the sport but if you end up really enjoying again you will need more bike with better components, fork and wheels. Plus you will end up spending a lot of $ upgrading!
    This.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    See if your local shop will let you demo an anthem and see what you're missing out on!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks guys I will probably end up using this as a neighborhood bike. Fantom 6by6 looks interesting!! I like the anthem and xtc but a test ride in the parking lot probably wont convince me to drop 2k+ to ride. Probably? ...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I think the atx is a straight steerer but I can feel a narrowing step inside and it has a tapered look to it but not sure. If I was to upgrade the fork what am I ordering? I could transfer it to another 27.5 if tapered im assuming.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    i looked at this bike as well. And due to $ restrictions its enticing. Was wondering if anyone else can share there experience with this bike or should i keep on looking. The bike currently goes for $440 with standard double wall rims. It looks like the best bike for the price new from lbs (not including online bike manufactures)

mtbr member
    I'm really considering picking one of these up tonight to serve as my new commuter/neighborhood cruiser/bike path ride. For the $440 they're charging, it sure feels like a nice bike for pavement and dirt paths. That said, I'd not be as interested if I was planning to use it for single track.

mtbr member
    We have sold quite a bit of these at our shop and everybody that has bought them has loved them. Obviously it's not a bike that you can go out and nail big drops and jumps with (as stated on the bottom of the fork ), but for the money (and usually includes a year of service for free), and the fact that it carries a lifetime warranty on the frame it's hard to beat, BUT as far as upgrading goes vs. saving for another bike I'd go for another bike for the simple fact that it's going to be very very hard to get a decent return (if resale is ever a concern to you, it is for me since I kind of swap parts and bikes often). Plus, with another bike, you'll always have some sort of backup

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I wouldn't buy it to think of reselling it. In the future the most I would do is upgrade the fork and the pedals and that's about it. At my age I can't go to crazy with trails. I live in Florida and everything is flat. For me it's mostly light trails and riding along the cost and enjoying the views...lol. 🌴👙☀️

mtbr member
    If you plan on keeping the bike then I would definitely upgrade it as you go to satisfy your needs as it's still a nice rig! I sold a Giant Revel to a guy the other day who then turned around the next day and ordered an SR Suntour 32mm Air fork (can't recall the model though) to replace the cheaper SR that came on the bike. We installed the fork today and it transformed that bike completely. The catch? The fork was only $190! Great upgrade for a great price, and SR has great customer support!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I've already installed some rock bros alum mtb dh pedals (love them) and bb7's on the way. The tektro aires arent cutting it. But ive ridden this down 15 foot tall gravel drops and handled very well, (not on oem tires, those are too skinny) im concerned about the cassette and its long term toughness but im pretty hard on the bike so premature wear is expected. I would highly recommed for a novice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Look up brushy creek singletrack on you tube and you'll see what im putting this thru with no sweat so far. Has handled it all better than expected. 2.25 tires will fit but rub slightly on the rear under heavy pedaling.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    There's a few videos out there. Wow, so the atx has been handling the track with no major issues ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I agree wiht all save rather than upgrade but, if you want to upgrade; upgrade items that you would take to a new bike when the time and $s are available. Things like:

- Wheels - Looking for something that has decent hubs with multiple axel types
    - Saddle
    - Tires (seems you like your kendas but differnet tires for differnet conditions is nice)
    - Pedals
    - Other gear nothing more important than a comfortable pair of shoes and bibs

Have fun out there!
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    is $415 plus tax for 2015 atx a decent price ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yes, maybe able to get it for 400 if u buy new tires and a water bottle cage with it

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees24 View Post
    There's a few videos out there. Wow, so the atx has been handling the track with no major issues ?
    no major issues,im certain the fork wont hold up long but im doing things its not designed for.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I went this afternoon to buy it and after inquiring about a pair of tires, pedals and maybe a new handlebar I was at the talon 4 price. So now I'm going to think it overnight and see what I'm going to do. The talon also has hydraulic breaks but I really don't care much for it. I have a budget of less than $500

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I hear hydra brakes are more responsive but the surface area is the same so I would think stopping power is comparable but with bleeding and eventual caliper rebuilds I dont know if I would go with them given the choice. Fork is just a little better than the atx budget fork I believe

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I will be buying a nicer bike in the future but im sure my 8yr old will be using this one when hes a little older

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Since the rear hub is a freewheel as a opposed to cassette the rear wheel is not going to be too strong. Upgrade that and you'll have a pretty decent starter trail bike, or you could go to the talon which already has a cassette hub and hydraulic disc brakes and a hydraulic lockout on the fork for 530...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I wound up with a trek xcaliber 6 on clearance for $629

mtbr member
    That's a good deal. I have one at my LBS and they're asking $699 on sale.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Have them price match other Trek dealers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast