mtbr member
    May 2007

assembly and setup of Reign X0

so,
    my reign x0 is sitting at the LBS, and I sold off my old bike to help pay for it, but there is a long wait for assembly so I'm going crazy.

Is the setup process doable by a reasonably mechanically inclined DIY kind of guy? I was told "Install cranks, wheels, seat, seatpost and adjust bike as necessary; should be an easy job."
    would any special tools be necessary besides allen wrenches and a socket set?
    thanks a lot

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    No need to let the shop mechanic do it, even if you haven't worked on bikes before it shouldn't be a problem. But if you do have any friends with some experience you should have them have a look at it once you're done. I don't think any special tools would be required, the discs should already be mounted on the wheels.

mtbr member
    Yeah, no need if you want your bike set up about as well as a Wal-Mart bike. Proper assembly is very important for the bike to function properly, be safe and not destroy itself. You can do it your self, but bike shop mechanics do a lot more than just throw the wheels in the bike. Ask yourself why there is such a long wait for assembly. Proper assembly takes time, even when performed by an experienced mechanic.
    I am surprised to hear that your bike has come in and there is a long wait for it to be assembled. When we get bikes in that have been paid for, we get them to the customer as soon as possible. (Especially if it is a cool bike like the Reign X0!)
    Finally, it is a breach of Giant's contract for the shop to sell the bike without professional assembly and it will void your warranty,as well.
    Ride More

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I can appreciate the skill of a good bike mechanic, but typically the charges I've seen are for an hour's labor, which made me suspicious of how much work is involved. The shop is having some short term labor issues with vacations...

Not that I would want do anything to jeopardize my warranty, but how exactly would Giant enforce such policies?

mtbr member
    Unfortunately, some shops do not take the time to properly adjust your hubs, check spoke tensions, pre-load head sets and stretch the shift cables and cut them to the best length. An experienced mechanic can properly build a bike in less than an hour. If their 1 hour of labor costs $40-$60, that sounds reasonable.
    Giant enforces the professional setup policy by prohibiting their dealers from selling (current) models online or through mail-order. You have to go in and wheel the bike out of the store in person. Really, there is no way for them to tell in the end, but if a bike comes in with the derailleur hanger torn off because the lower limit screw wasn't properly set, they won't warranty that.
    Ride More