mtbr member

Anyone tryed a 7.875 x 2.25 DHX Air shock on 08 Reign???

Ive recently converted my 05 Reign to 6.7" travel by using a 7.875 x 2.25 Vanilla shock and have liked the results. Im thinking of also converting my 08 Reign to 6.7" travel but am a bit worried about any clearance issues.

Has anyone tryed it???
    Last edited by other aardvark; 07-11-2008 at 04:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Nope , but I'm thinking of doing the same thing down the track. There was a thread not so long ago , one of the guys had fitted at 7.875x2.25 roco tst air onto his reign.When the shock was fully compressed i.e no air the piggyback was very close to hitting the frame. Not sure if there is a difference in piggyback lengths b/w the roco and fox shocks. Fyg he hasn't posted any ride reports of this so far. Looking forward to hearing the results.

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by other aardvark
    Ive recently converted my 05 Reign to 6.7" travel by using a 7.875 x 2.25 Vanilla shock and have liked the results. Im thinking of also converting my 08 Reign to 6.7" travel but am a bit worried about any clearance issues.

Has anyone tryed it???
    I was thinking of doing the same thing on my 05 but with a dhx air. You have any pics? Did you get the shock tuned specifically for the maestro?

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by liqwid
    I was thinking of doing the same thing on my 05 but with a dhx air. You have any pics? Did you get the shock tuned specifically for the maestro?
    Nevermind, I just realized you're talking about the old fox van not the van R. Anyone ever tried squeezing a dhx air in a 05 reign?

mtbr member
    Nevermind, I just realized you're talking about the old fox van not the van R. Anyone ever tried squeezing a dhx air in a 05 reign?

There doesnt seem to be a way to fit any piggy-back shocks to Reigns with pierced down tubes or cradle mounts.There just isnt any room fore the piggy-back.

Its also worth mentioning, that as far coils shocks go, only old Fox Vanilla shocks fit and thats with the original 48mm diameter spring. It seems that most coil shocks have a 52mm coil diameter which doesnt clear the cradle or pierced down tube.

Hopefully this will save some heart break and frustration.

My leg feels funny
    There doesnt seem to be a way to fit any piggy-back shocks to Reigns with pierced down tubes or cradle mounts.There just isnt any room fore the piggy-back.

Its also worth mentioning, that as far coils shocks go, only old Fox Vanilla shocks fit and thats with the original 48mm diameter spring. It seems that most coil shocks have a 52mm coil diameter which doesnt clear the cradle or pierced down tube.

Hopefully this will save some heart break and frustration.
    If I can get my hands on a 06(ish) vanilla R can you even find those smaller springs (other than ebay)? How did you determine which spring rate to use?

My leg feels funny
    If I can get my hands on a 06(ish) vanilla R can you even find those smaller springs (other than ebay)? How did you determine which spring rate to use?
    Nevermind again

I just found your posting here...

Help!, I Cant Get A Vanilla Coil To Fit In 05 Reign Frame

mtbr member
    Other aAark was also talking about a 08 Reign...according to his threads name, and on the new 08 models most and many piggy back shocks DO fit because there is not longer any pierced or caged cradle to deal with. I also know the Japan top model comes stock with a Fox DHX Air as well as the UK model. But as others have already said, on the 05/ 06 models its pretty hard.

Link
    Pic:

What you can do though, is get a seperate piggy back shock set up which may work although they only do them on spring shocks and I believe the 05 model has more clearance then the 06 model in that regard. Again, it may not fit, I have not tried yet and really would like to mod an old frame is I had a spare! Just a small dremel of abount 3mm x 20mm should do it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sorry its taken so long to get back to you. Just as I was posting a reply to your post about 10% of Australia's Telecommunication network went down taking my internet connection with it. Its seems that someone put a excavator through a a big fat fiber-optic cable. DOH!!!

Vanillas and their springs are definably are around on Ebay from time to time. Its also worth posting on your local MTB community web site. You would be amazed what people have kicking around in there garage.

I personally was able to get a spring from the local Fox importer via my local bike shop but it took two goes as the first spring was to fat (52mm).

As for finding the right spring rate I used the calculator at this link http://www.tftunedshox.com/tech-area...alculator.html.

I went 50 pounds heavier than the recommended spring rate because the Maestro suspension system is very linear and easy to bottom out. IMPORTANT, for a 2.25 stroke Vanilla use a 2.3 " stroke spring so you can preload the spring with-out coil bind. eg 2.3 x 550 pounds

Heres a link to an old thread about shock mods to 05 Reigns http://forums.mtbr.com/giant/05-coil-reign-231591.html#post2292397

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim2u
    Other aAark was also talking about a 08 Reign...according to his threads name, and on the new 08 models most and many piggy back shocks DO fit because there is not longer any pierced or caged cradle to deal with. I also know the Japan top model comes stock with a Fox DHX Air as well as the UK model. But as others have already said, on the 05/ 06 models its pretty hard.

Link
    Pic:

As you say the 2"x 7.875 DHX fits 08 Reigns but the question is will 2.25 x 7.875 DHX piggy back hit the down tube on full compression??? The Australian model of the R 0 comes with a RP23 shock so I cant draw any conclusions locally.

My leg feels funny
    Sorry its taken so long to get back to you. Just as I was posting a reply to your post about 10% of Australia's Telecommunication network went down taking my internet connection with it. Its seems that someone put a excavator through a a big fat fiber-optic cable. DOH!!!

Vanillas and their springs are definably are around on Ebay from time to time. Its also worth posting on your local MTB community web site. You would be amazed what people have kicking around in there garage.

I personally was able to get a spring from the local Fox importer via my local bike shop but it took two goes as the first spring was to fat (52mm).

As for finding the right spring rate I used the calculator at this link http://www.tftunedshox.com/tech-area...alculator.html.

I went 50 pounds heavier than the recommended spring rate because the Maestro suspension system is very linear and easy to bottom out. IMPORTANT, for a 2.25 stroke Vanilla use a 2.3 " stroke spring so you can preload the spring with-out coil bind. eg 2.3 x 550 pounds

Heres a link to an old thread about shock mods to 05 Reigns http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=2292397
    Nice! thanks

Dishwasher Safe
    Quote Originally Posted by eckstar
    Nope , but I'm thinking of doing the same thing down the track. There was a thread not so long ago , one of the guys had fitted at 7.875x2.25 roco tst air onto his reign.When the shock was fully compressed i.e no air the piggyback was very close to hitting the frame. Not sure if there is a difference in piggyback lengths b/w the roco and fox shocks. Fyg he hasn't posted any ride reports of this so far. Looking forward to hearing the results.

I got a chance to ride the 2.25" stroke Roco TST Air but decided to stick with the stock DHX-A.

Therefore, I have a 7.875" x 2.25" Roco TST Air for sale that's seen a whopping 2 hours of trail time if anyone is interested (PM me).

mtbr member
    Yeah the dyslexia stopped me from getting that point...erm, thats my excuse! he hehe But the fit into a 08 model may be fine although the stroke value may be a different story!

As you say the 2"x 7.875 DHX fits 08 Reigns but the question is will 2.25 x 7.875 DHX piggy back hit the down tube on full compression??? The Australian model of the R 0 comes with a RP23 shock so I cant draw any conclusions locally.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim2u
    Yeah the dyslexia stopped me from getting that point...erm, thats my excuse! he hehe But the fit into a 08 model may be fine although the stroke value may be a different story!
    A few peoples have tryed 2.25" stroke shocks on the 08 Reigns and had no side effects but I havent found anyone who has tried a 2.25 DHX Air.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I think if there were any issues it would be far more obvious on an air shock.