mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Anyone switch from Trance X 29er to Trance 27.5?

I'm currently running a Trance X 29er (which I love) and I'm tempted to try a 27.5. If you've switched I'd love to hear your feedback.

mtbr member

Anyone switch from Trance X 29er to Trance 27.5?

Or a better geo'd 29er.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

No, I'll stick wth my 2014 TranceX1 29er.

Demoed a 650B and not drinking Giant's Cool Aid.
    don't tell me, "Show Me " !

mtbr member
    I switched from a 2014 Trance X 29er 1 to a 2014 Trance 27.5 1.

If you find my posts from around September of last year, I talked about it quite a bit, including riding a Bronson demo.

If I can tell you anything I didn't talk about there, let me know.

Since switching, I've demoed a few other bikes. Except for the Trance Advanced, I've not ridden a bike that works better for me ... though thinking about it, it's only been some Giants and the Mach 6, so not a wide field. I was disappointed to miss demos by Ibis and Cannondale. Alas.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I rode last years ibis HDR 650b and hated the thing, so maybe you didn't miss much. OP you really need to find a demo ride.

mtbr member
    I rode Trance 29 for a few minutes only, it felt comfortable but sluggish.
    Used to own Cannondale Trigger 29, similar feel but more burly, extremely fast over rough though and felt very surefooted.

I have custom Trance Adv. SX with Pike and Monarch Debonair now.
    Very light, climbs quite well and I like that it's very playful and agile compared to Trigger.
    It's also easier to manage, but feels less confident at high speed over rough terrain. Might be a psychological thing though, but larger wheels undoubtedly feel safer.

I love Trance 27.5 because it is very versatile and can handle anything and still be fun and compact. I can go ride long XC ride with friends and then ride downhill/light freeride with steep descents and jumps later.

It's great when you're not sure where you want to go when you leave the house on the bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thanks for the responses. I'm hoping to demo a 650B sometime soon. Where I live we have limited options, so a broad range demo of multiple brands is not going to happen. I was looking at the Trance 1 because I already have the Trance 29er and really enjoy it. Just wanted some opinions, that's all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Depends on the riding you want to do, I have a Trance Advanced 27.5 and love it, climbs great, agile and handles anything I can throw at it. I have rode many 29er's from XC bikes to long travel Yeti and if riding relatively flat single track and or fire roads nothing beats the 29er for roll over and speed. It's easier to keep it rolling and point it down a hill and it goes. Only place I don't like a 29er is on steep climbs and tight switch backs otherwise I think they are great.