mtbr member
    Nov 2011

anyone singlespeeded a trance x?

my rear mech got tangled up' in my spokes last week, so this week i replaced it with a brand new like for like item, 10 mins in to the ride on landing a small jump the new mech snapped clean from the hanger. the bolt was tightened correctly ect and now awaiting to find out if there was perhaps a manufacturing fault, and get a free replacement/refund but unlikely as i fitted it myself.

Anyway if i dont get offered any kind of replacement then im considering going single speed, has anyone done this on a full suss like the trance x?

ive already shortened the chain and removed the rear mech so i can still ride thiis weekend,which seems to work but im a bit unsure if it will put too much tension on the chain when the suspension compresses fully.

The rear frame pivots from the BB so i cant see it being a problem but perhaps someone else can shed more light on this for me.

if this is a route that will work then i will look at getting a proper ss conversion.

any advice or comments welcomed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    There was one in the Trance X photo gallery. In the last 20 pages I believe. It looked awesome. It may have had a Surly singluator on it to keep tension.

edit: My bad, it was a internal 7 speed hub. Page 58.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    thanks for saving me the trawl through loads of pages, i like the look of that and its gives me a bit of confidence that it will be ok but i think im gonna be pissed with losing the use of gears

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Let us know how you get on - been thinking about having a 1x9 or 1x10 setup for my trance over summer and running it as a single speed during winter. Interested to know what components you use and how successful the build is.

aw fiddlestix
    Not sure how much chain growth the TX has, but pretty sure you'd need a chain tension device that has a spring (aka can acount for it), as opposed to a fixed one.

I personally have found that I don't like SS (and will be selling mine), but if its your thing, go for it!
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Something like this might do the trick, but I want to wait to hear from someone that's use one

Welcome / bike chain tensioners and other goodies / your friends at yess labs

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Digging up an old thread, but I'm thinking about SSing my TX. Did the OP ever go through with the conversion? Or has anyone else had a crack? Any tip or words of caution?

Your Best Friend

Re: anyone singlespeeded a trance x?

Not sure what happened to the OP but he's probably still lost in the woods after his chain violently snapped. Unless you run a tensioning device, going SS on a FS bike WILL NOT work.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

aw fiddlestix
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Not sure what happened to the OP but he's probably still lost in the woods after his chain violently snapped. Unless you run a tensioning device, going SS on a FS bike WILL NOT work.
    with the exception of a couple of older FS bikes that have zero chain growth, of course. A buddy runs an old Ellsworth Joker SS.
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Im alive! not logged on here for ages but an email directed me here.

I got all the single speed stuff but put it on my hardtail instead as a i live in a flat area and it works for riding across fields and bridal paths.

my trance now has 1x10 xt stuff on it and thats perfect for everywhere, (coed y brenin, Afan, FOD ,ect)

Yes single speed will work on the trance but a few gears is better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    and as for the broken mech, i got a refund as there was a faulty batch with weak linkages.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I am going to jump on the single speed full suss thing and take it a step further. Going to run a solid fork and get a bar made up to replace the shock then run single speed fixie. Won't need the brakes as it's a fixie now, save some weight and can resell parts.

Way less to wear out or break. Check out the new Trance X updates. anyone singlespeeded a trance x?-fixie-bike.jpg

All in all jk and messing with you a little, been a crazy day at work.