mtbr member
    Jan 2007

is anyone running a 1 1/8" straight steer tube on 2011 overdrive head?

curious if anyone is running a standard straight tubed fork in the new overdrive head, Im trying to understand what is needed.
    Last edited by Black4esT; 04-07-2012 at 05:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You need crown race - reduction ring - you can get it from your local dealer, for a LOT if money, or you can probably use a FSA one for peanuts. I have both, Giant acquired one is alu, FSA is steel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    you have a pic of the setup? does it effect stem height at all? just need the crown race in existing headset? top cup can say?

thanks man

mtbr member
    The first picture is the crown race reducer, the second pic is with the 1/1/8 crown race for comparison sake. I hope this helps.

Dropbar SS Mamasita
    XTC Composite 29
    CruX
    Anthem X 29
    Unknown trials bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Black4esT View Post
    you have a pic of the setup? does it effect stem height at all? just need the crown race in existing headset? top cup can say?

thanks man
    tdee showed it.

Overdrive actually is "headtube" name, not headset name. It is Giant's fancy name for tapered head tube.

Providing you have the "right" headset, you can easily convert to straight steerer with just a crown reducer, nothing else; stem, top cap, all stays the same.

I would suggest you eiteher post the headset details here so folks can suggest a crown race for it, or you take it to a giant shop so they could provide you with one - it will cost you more but you will know it will fit to your headset.

Anyway - all you need is the right crown race, nothing else. Question is - what crown race (for which headset).

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    all I know right now is its the stock headset that comes with the 2011
    Reign 0