mtbr member
    Jun 2004

anyone ridind a XTC 2

Trying to talk myself into "04 XTC 2 over a Ranier. I've ridden a Ranier, but can't find a XTC around, but the shops can all order one. I need to stay below $1000, but I know spending more now, is less than later upgrades. I want a good xc that I could maybe get into beginner class racing. I appreciate input from XTC or Ranier riders.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Go XTC....
    I have owned a Yukon and now a XTC disk(aussie version) and was interseted in the Rainer...
    I would have been very unhappy with myself if I didn't pony up the extra cash for the XTC over the rainer. The rainer is a nice bike, but for XC the xtc is just plain better.
    And the frame on the xtc is just beatiful!

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    The XTC is streets ahead of a rainier... the rainer frame is a pretty standard entry level general bike, where as the XTC frame is designed as more of a race machine.

Not much of mine is standard (it's a 02 year BTW - things have changed since the photos were taken) and it's light as hell. Frame alone is around 1450grams, with the complete bike wheighing in very respectably (depending on your build of course ).

The reviews on this site give you a great indication of things, you'll soon get the picture that it climbs like a mountain goat on steroids, and decends alright too. Don't be afraid on the downtube being so thin, I can flex mine with my bare hands, but it hasn't dented at all, and I have run it into a few things during the last 2 years.....

Some find the ride a little harsh, but they a re generally bigger riders that have com from duallies. I haven't had a problem with mine, it's actually pretty compiant for an aluminium frame.

Let me know if you want to find out anything.

Cheers, Dave.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I have seen some folks having real problems with the Manitou Skareb Comp fork breaking. Do you have this fork or other and how do you like it. I can get a '03 for $899 for a '04 for 1050. '04 does have some upgrades esp. in fork. Did you try any other bikes before you purchase? Thanks for any input.[

QUOTE=Low_Rider]The XTC is streets ahead of a rainier... the rainer frame is a pretty standard entry level general bike, where as the XTC frame is designed as more of a race machine.

Not much of mine is standard (it's a 02 year BTW - things have changed since the photos were taken) and it's light as hell. Frame alone is around 1450grams, with the complete bike wheighing in very respectably (depending on your build of course ).

The reviews on this site give you a great indication of things, you'll soon get the picture that it climbs like a mountain goat on steroids, and decends alright too. Don't be afraid on the downtube being so thin, I can flex mine with my bare hands, but it hasn't dented at all, and I have run it into a few things during the last 2 years.....

Some find the ride a little harsh, but they a re generally bigger riders that have com from duallies. I haven't had a problem with mine, it's actually pretty compiant for an aluminium frame.

Let me know if you want to find out anything.

Cheers, Dave.[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hey, i personally would go with the 04 skarebs as it would probably be your safer bet, i've heard quite a bit of a defect the 03 skarebs had with the reverse arch cracking, however, i believe that manitou has fixed the problem for the 04 skarebs, just my opinion ^^

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    My bike has the 02 duke, but I have ridden a skareb on a number of occasions - I guess it depends on your riding style. I'd much rather the duke for trailriding, and it's quite o.k. for racing too. The skareb is a race fork in my opinion, and although it's fine on the trail (still resonably stiff) I'd rather a duke. The duke is nice and stiff, feels great to ride, and feels as though it can op a bit of abuse.

As for trying bikes, I rode 2 different XTC's, all different builds (riding buddies bikes), tried the whole NRS thing (not for me), trek fuels (not bad...) as well as two different 'dale hardtails - can't remember the model off the top of my head - one was a fatty forked bike, the other a lefty??

At the time I'd come from riding a small trek "playbike" that I'd built up, and I really wanted to get into longer trailrides and 12 and 24hr racing. Although I probably should of gone for a dually, I couldn't find a bike within my budget that actually performed. Although many love them, I never really got comfortable on the NRS, and the fuel I rode just didn't feel right (although not a bad bike at all.) I loved the idea of a 'dale hardtail with the fatty fork (the ultimate mud-plugger!!) but it was out of my budget, and the component spec wasn't all that great for the price.

Whenever I rode the XTC though, I just found them light, chuckable, and a blast to ride. In the end I couldn't get an XTC as a complete bike in Australia (all sold out like hotcakes) so I purchased a frame and got things built up to my spec, I since wish I'd spent an extra $400 and specced a few bits higher then having to do it now...

Oh... and I'm not hardtail biased - I have since ridden many great duallies, but they were all unfortuantely way out of my budget range at the time I built this bike up.

Cheers, Dave.
    Last edited by Low_Rider; 06-17-2004 at 06:22 PM.