Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Anyone own or ridden the new trance 27.5?

I've just sold my 2011 Reign and looking to get a Trance.

I've ridden a Trance 2011 26" in the past and the 2013 29er and I liked how they rode and pedalled. The suspension felt just right, not too short and firm and not too long and soft.

I'm interested in the new carbon Trance 27.5, but it looks like they've made some pretty significant changes this year. The suspension has increased from 120mm to 140mm and the head angle is now a very slack 67 degrees.

On paper, this makes the suspension and geometry very similar to the Reign.

If anyone's ridden the 27.5 Trance, could you provide some insights as to how it rides and feels? Does it still feel like a Trance or is it more like a Reign now?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I posted this on the 650B/27.5 forum in the Trance thread:

I had the opportunity to ride the Trance SX 27.5 aluminum last weekend at a Giant demo. I have ridden the Trance X1 26er and the Trance X0 29r and I liked the SX the most. I can't speak for climbing, as the local trails here don't have much climbing, but I cut 8 minutes off my fastest 26er time of this loop on the SX. I didn't think I was going to see that much difference. I was able to enter corners faster and exit even faster, as I didn't loose any speed through the corners. I was getting air in places where I normally rolled on my 26er. It was well balanced in the air and I didn't notice any significant weight difference compared to my XTR equipped 26er, which is lighter. I even cleared an obstacle with the SX that I have yet to clear with my 26er. I also left the fork on 140mm the entire ride, as I forgot to switch it liked I planned due to being so into the ride. Don't judge the SX color until you see it in person. When I saw it on the computer monitor, I didn't like it, but it looks so much better in person. It has this metallic finish that the pictures don't capture well. Take it for what it's worth, just my personal opinion.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I also had a 2011 Reign but with a fox 36 160mm Vanilla on it. I have had the new Trance 3 for 2 weeks now and the biggest difference I have felt is the fork. The 32mm stanchions just are not stiff enough for some of the trails in Washington and I only weigh 155 with gear. The rest of the bike is awesome and feels like it blows the reign away in every aspect. The frame is very very stiff and just flat out rips on the downhills. The long wheelbase and low bb help make it feel very stable too at high speeds. Climbing is great with no noticeable pedal bob.

I have not ridden the trance 29er but I believe the new Trance can handle anything the reign could, especially the Trance SX. If you want to ride rocky, rooty trails I would lean towards the SX or plan on getting a fork with beefier stanchions in the future. I think bike radar did a review on the Trance Advanced and their biggest complaint was the fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRush View Post
    I also had a 2011 Reign but with a fox 36 160mm Vanilla on it. I have had the new Trance 3 for 2 weeks now and the biggest difference I have felt is the fork. The 32mm stanchions just are not stiff enough for some of the trails in Washington and I only weigh 155 with gear. The rest of the bike is awesome and feels like it blows the reign away in every aspect. The frame is very very stiff and just flat out rips on the downhills. The long wheelbase and low bb help make it feel very stable too at high speeds. Climbing is great with no noticeable pedal bob.

I have not ridden the trance 29er but I believe the new Trance can handle anything the reign could, especially the Trance SX. If you want to ride rocky, rooty trails I would lean towards the SX or plan on getting a fork with beefier stanchions in the future. I think bike radar did a review on the Trance Advanced and their biggest complaint was the fork.
    What's the rear suspension like? I felt the Reign was a bit too soft and wallowy out back which made it feel heavy to pedal. The soft suspension also made it impossible to climb hard out of the saddle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by minhbo View Post
    What's the rear suspension like? I felt the Reign was a bit too soft and wallowy out back which made it feel heavy to pedal. The soft suspension also made it impossible to climb hard out of the saddle.
    I had the same issues with the Reign as well and so far the Trance has pedaled much more efficiently. The rock shox shock is quite a bit more stiff when pedaling but still super plush going down. I haven't noticed the wallowy feeling that the Reign gave me. The entire rear end just feels much more stiff when riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I had the same issues with the Reign as well and so far the Trance has pedaled much more efficiently. The rock shox shock is quite a bit more stiff when pedaling but still super plush going down. I haven't noticed the wallowy feeling that the Reign gave me. The entire rear end just feels much more stiff when riding.
    Awesome, sounds good man. Thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

I tested a Trance 27.5 3 (medium) today and it was very playful and i love the maestro suspension. Unfortunately it was too small for me. I am 5' 10" with a 32" inseam. This is the first Giant bike I have ever tested but, I was surprised how cramped the cock pit felt. My lbs did not have a large for me to test, but there are some ordered and on the way. Riding a bike like this in a parking lot is really not a true test but I almost positive this will be my new rig. I think I will be getting a lot of bang for $2000.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Nelson73, what bike do you currently own and what sort of trails do you usually ride?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

I'm currently riding a Santa Cruz Superlight 29er. I ride a bit of everything. Single track lots of roots and rocks climbing, drops etc. The Superlight Is a great bike and has served me very well but, I've been looking at trail bikes for a while. Something with more travel and different suspension design for the more technical stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by nelson73; 08-26-2013 at 10:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Well I was finally able to test ride the Trance 27.5 today, the alu 2 version. I liked it a lot. The suspension is much firmer and sportier than the Reign - acceleration felt much more responsive. The 140mm feels right - not too much, not too little. Pedaling is great, very little bob. My concerns about the geometry and travel being too similar to the Reign were completely alleviated. This thing feels nothing like the Reign, it feels way better to me, it feels fast!

I put a deposit down on the Advanced 1. Now I just have to wait 4-5 weeks before it arrives. This is gonna be the longest wait ever...

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Demoed it last week, it reminded me of my old Reign and made me smile all the time I was on it.

The bike is quick, agile, climbs well, plush suspension and did I mentioned that is fast.

mtbr member
    How does it do in rock gardens?

Quote Originally Posted by Swissam View Post
    How does it do in rock gardens?
    We had no pedal strikes and the suspension on full open sucked everything very well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Come on folks, I wanna see some "live" pics. Giant's pics almost universally don't do their bikes justice, let's see those bikes out in the wild!

On the Trance, the only thing that has me scratching my head is how loooong the bike is. Still though, I want to take a ride on one. I'm probably going to hang on to my Anthem 29er for a while as it's a heck of a bike and very versatile, but there are elements about my Trance X that I miss. I think this new Trance might be a lot of fun for how I like to ride, and it still sounds plenty efficient.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Your always going to get that with a monarch vs a float no matter what bike. Even in a L tune they are less active and more linear than a M tune Float.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by minhbo View Post
    Well I was finally able to test ride the Trance 27.5 today, the alu 2 version. I liked it a lot. The suspension is much firmer and sportier than the Reign - acceleration felt much more responsive. The 140mm feels right - not too much, not too little. Pedaling is great, very little bob. My concerns about the geometry and travel being too similar to the Reign were completely alleviated. This thing feels nothing like the Reign, it feels way better to me, it feels fast!

I put a deposit down on the Advanced 1. Now I just have to wait 4-5 weeks before it arrives. This is gonna be the longest wait ever...

@minhbo
    Will be very interested in feedback on that Advanced 1 once you get it, that's the one I'm thinking of getting.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    You sure you want a Large?? I haven't ridding the 2014 model but I had a 2008 medium and now have a 2011 Large and I'm 6' tall and feel as if I'm in between the two. The medium I loved most of the time, except long rides felt cramped. The large is too big and I spent an entire year fiddling with seat posts, stems, handlebars, etc to get it to fit right. It fits me great now, but it took a while to get it dialed.
    If I were you I would seriously consider buying Medium and adjusting stem, bars, and maybe seat post. Of course I haven't ridden the 14 so maybe the geometry is completely different from 2011 and I'm completely wrong :-)

Quote Originally Posted by GT5050 View Post
    Come on folks, I wanna see some "live" pics. Giant's pics almost universally don't do their bikes justice, let's see those bikes out in the wild!
    Don't have any of the bike alone, just a few action pics of my kid on it.

mtbr member
    Cool shots! That's the exact model I'm thinking of getting. Just wish the bike selection process wasn't so difficult lol.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i just put a deposit on one of these, i found these pics to drool over until mine is here in 2 weeks.
    2014 Giant Trance 27 5 1 in Sydney, NSW | eBay

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Don't have any of the bike alone, just a few action pics of my kid on it.

Nice pics! Look forward to giving one of these a run

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Nice shots! I'm liking the grey/turquoise colour scheme. I wasn't a fan at first, but it's really starting to grow on me. Reminds me of my grey/blue 2011 Reign, which funnily enough I didn't like the colour of either initially.

I'm getting the advanced 1 however which is all black. I'm not crazy about all black, hopefully it grows on me. Still another few weeks at least until I get it......

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I would love to pick up the new trance 1 but I have one concern the overall wheel base and rear chainstay length. Where I ride it is very tight and technical up hill and downhill tight switch backs. People with 29ers have a difficult time due to the length so 26 and hopefully the new 27.5 should rule. We really don't have many open super fast trails just very tight and twisty.
    I rode the Norco sight killer b and it performed very well with it's super short chainstay. Just the Giant has every bell and whistle for the $ Norco can't touch.
    What experience do people have on the giant trance on tight trails?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Anybody ridden in super tight low speed trails yet? Tight switch backs East coast style?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have a Trance 0 and ride in WV, the home of tight rocky techy single track. I can honestly say I have never been more impressed by a bike's handling than this. I'm normally a XC 29er guy (Flash, Scalpel 29, etc.), but this bike is just better on all levels except extended climbs that aren't very technical. It is 24.4 lbs with pedals and stock. Don't hesitate in taking it in the tight switches…..it truly is an all around awesome bike. You can drop the Revelation to 120mm if you need a more aggressive position for those steep *****y climbs and swoopy single track, too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Is that 24.4 lbs including the seat dropper? and what size is bike?

Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    I have a Trance 0 and ride in WV, the home of tight rocky techy single track. I can honestly say I have never been more impressed by a bike's handling than this. I'm normally a XC 29er guy (Flash, Scalpel 29, etc.), but this bike is just better on all levels except extended climbs that aren't very technical. It is 24.4 lbs with pedals and stock. Don't hesitate in taking it in the tight switches…..it truly is an all around awesome bike. You can drop the Revelation to 120mm if you need a more aggressive position for those steep *****y climbs and swoopy single track, too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    That is stock with seat dropper in size medium

Your Best Friend

Re: Anyone own or ridden the new trance 27.5?

Pics of the weight or it didn't happen.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Pics of the weight or it didn't happen.

...what he said!

So 24.4lbs = 11kg (roughly) with a seat dropper.

= 10.7kg replacing the seat dropper with say a Thomson Masterpiece. That's amazing for that amount of travel. And we dont even know what pedals your sporting, might go lower again...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

My scale looks to be 0.03 lb higher than the shop

I'm using my specialized saddle and converted to tubeless. The only differences from stock.

Anyone own or ridden the new trance 27.5?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1380918527.214390.jpgAnyone own or ridden the new trance 27.5?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1380918565.880876.jpg
    Last edited by trauma-md; 10-05-2013 at 12:36 AM.

Your Best Friend

Re: Anyone own or ridden the new trance 27.5?

Very nice. Good job.

Back in the saddle
    Agreed with trauma-md. I have a 2014 Trance X1 29er and I can only imagine that the 27.5 is even better in all regards, other than Rock Garden surfing.

The 29er handles the tight twisty stuff superbly; soaks up rock gardens like they're pebble beaches; and climbs incredibly well, even in "descend" mode. Seriously the most fun I've had on a bike since I getting into trouble when I was ten, armed with the very trick (for it's time) Yamaha "full suspension" bicycle! :-)

One of the coolest aspects of this bike is that when one is really ripping there is so much traction that one is really rewarded by pushing on the inside handlebar in a turn -- very much like riding a motorcycle. (Ooops. Hoping to not to start a "counter-steering" debate!).

The one minor irritation of the 29er is some "chain slap" on rocky downhills. It appears that you could remove a link or two from the chain. Could/should wrap your rear swing arm to protect it -- mine is already chewed up from the chain from one ride without any protection. Be interesting to hear the results of a 27.5 in this regards.

I just ordered a Bionicon Chain Guide and hope that quiets things down a tad.

Other than that, the bike is wicked. And for the price? Well, it's downright sinful! ;-)

Just Ride.
    Picked up my new Trance Advanced 2 yesterday. 12.7kg out of the box. Looks great, heading out for a ride soon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    chuck up a pic man! i get mine next week, can't wait!

Just Ride.
    Terrible photos but here are two: Looks 100 times better in person then it does on the Giant site.

Put a Race Face single ring on the front, different grips and Hans Dampf on the front. First ride went well, alot to get use to for me coming from what I was on before but it was awesome. Bike is so smooth over any terrain, just soaks it all up. Climbing was good, lock the rear shock out and tighten the front up and it climbs like my old hardtail. Over rocky or loose ascents it excels over 26inch. Just glides up.
    The bigger wheels didn't feel sluggish to me like the 29 inch do. The gearing does change pushing the bigger wheels over 26 though.
    Biggest advantage in speed was down descents, once up to speed you keep picking up speed alot more then 26inch. I was rolling down fire roads 10-15kmh faster without trying.

The brakes are amazing, so powerful and they aren't even bed in yet. Wheels felt good, as stiff as my old Mavic 819s or if not more.
    You will love it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Which version of the Trance is that?

Looks great!

Just Ride.
    Trance Advanced 2. Not every country got them. Luckily Australia did. It's perfect for my price range.
    Trance Advanced 27.5 2 (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Australia

Just Ride.
    Few better photos. Still getting use to t.

All going well so far. Having a little trouble stopping the Avid Elixr 7s from rubbing and not alot of room to get a drink bottle in and out. But all up it's going great.

mtbr member
    Name:  trance 2.jpg
Views: 7850
Size:  47.9 KBName:  Trance 1.jpg
Views: 8042
Size:  53.2 KB

I figured it's time to chime in about the 3 weeks of riding i've had on my Trance Advanced.

First off, i started with an Advanced 1 and stripped most of the parts off of it. I kept the wheels and the lower headset cup- that's about it!
    My build is XX1, XO trail brakes, Pike Solo Air 150, Reverb Stealth, HR2 EXO 2.4 front, Ardent 2.25 EXO rear.

Weight is 26.7 lbs

I've had a reign, and 4 Reign X's over the years, and have spent the last 2 summers riding 29ers. I had tried a handful of 27.5's over the last year but i didn't find one that gave me the light bulb going off in my head feeling i was hoping for. At first the 29ers blew me away with how fast they were, given it was the Yeti SB95 that started it all, before that 29ers felt too goofy to take seriously.

I'm into Enduro racing/ Super D, so i reached the point with the great riding Reign that i was simply faster on Super D courses on the 29er. So 29 i went. As Enduro racing exploded over the last year, i was really beginning to search out a 27.5 i liked as i was feeling the need for more travel yet still good rolling speed since Enduros are typically more technical than old Super D's were. After seeing the specs of the Trance 27.5 i went out on a limb and ordered one without even trying one!! That was one great bet!!! The first 100 feet of flowy trail and i was sold. This Trance 27.5 is actually faster on the vast majority of trails than any 29er i've had. It is much much easier to accelerate, has more travel, is lighter, fits better, oh- and is the most fun One Bike i've ever had (and it's number 68 of mtn bikes i've had over the years!)

There are places the 29er is still faster, like long straightaways with jumps, faster 2 tracks, etc, and places a 26 would still excel (even though none come to mind at the moment :-) . Those places seem far and few between. I mean- if i had a 29er set up with big all mtn tires the advantages of the 29 are minimal, if a 29 had light fast tires-which they can get away with- sure they are fast, but that's not exactly a fair comparison. I went through more tires than i care to mention this season since i was trying to avoid heavy 29er tires to keep the bike quick.

My Strava times are favorable, and i did get the trance just in time to race it at The Whole Enchilada Enduro, which is the ultimate test in my eyes. Last year the Yeti 29er took me to 3rd in amateur which i was very happy with! I bested my position this year even though the race was spread out into 2 days and had a first day of very pedaly stages which set me back before The Enchilada. Day 2 was the real test and i felt that i was fresher from easier accelerations, and the extra travel allowed me to look farther ahead, gave me more line options, and saved my tires/wheels.

Carbon everything, 1x11, dropper post, stiff yet strong and easy rolling wheels...i've only got my skill training and fitness to focus on for next year. There's not much more i can ask for in a bike, and i don't think there will be any major technology changes in the next few years. The bike is dialed!!!!!!!!!

Anyone own or ridden the new trance 27.5?-canyons-air.jpg
    Santa Cruz Bronson 2 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

Just Ride.
    Looks awesome! Great build!
    Just a question. When you took your stem off was there a sleeve that went over the steerer tube? Mine has a sleeve inside the stem. I lowered the stem a bit and think I got it the right way except it has a creak now. Do you remember which way it was?

Thanks

2010 Glory custom FR
    Krispy, original HA of T ADV 27,5 is 66, right? Can you tell what's the diff with 150mm Pike?
    Can you post full spec list?
    pozdro
    frango

2010 Glory custom FR
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel. View Post
    not alot of room to get a drink bottle in and out.
    SO, get "sidepull" WB cage ;>
    Giant Gateway Pro Side Pull Carbon Cage (Bottles / Cages) - Bike Gear | Giant Bicycles | UK / Ireland
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Joel,
    You have a bike we don't see in the States, it sounds like your bike has a normal 1 1/8 fork and an Overdrive By Giant 1 1/4 stem with a spacer inside. If you were to purchase that stem aftermarket it comes with a shim. It's odd that the fork isn't 1 1/4 if it came on the bike.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by krispy@go-ride.com View Post
    Joel,
    You have a bike we don't see in the States, it sounds like your bike has a normal 1 1/8 fork and an Overdrive By Giant 1 1/4 stem with a spacer inside. If you were to purchase that stem aftermarket it comes with a shim. It's odd that the fork isn't 1 1/4 if it came on the bike.
    I agree. He has a European Trance Advanced 2. It has a "standard" Giant overdrive 2, 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 frame. I would have guessed his RockShox Sektor RL Solo Air is also spec'd to be overdrive 2 but with the spacer, who knows. Since he has the spacer it is probably safe to assume it's a standard tapered fork with a standard tapered headset but his stem is OD2 compatible.

Joel, without looking at it I'm guessing the spacer goes on first with the lip at the bottom. I'll double check when I get a chance. You could also just buy a standard 1 1/8 stem and use that.

mtbr member
    Frango,
    A Trance 27.5 with a 140 should be 67, with a 160 should be 66 (as in the SX). Mine has a 150mm fork. It still measures about 66 though.

Specs-
    -Pike solo air 150, 50psi, custom trimmed 1/2 of a volume reducing token in the air spring
    -Cane Creek 40 series 44zs upper half of headset (to fit the standard 1 1/8 tapered Pike)
    -Enve RSR bar 740mm
    -Lizard Skins peaty lock on grips
    XX1 with a trigger shifter mounted with a matchmaker to the brake lever
    -32t ring
    -E Thirteen XCX ISCG 05 guide with velcro inside (Fur Taco)
    -XO Trail brakes with 160 rotors
    -Sunline am 50 mm stem
    -Giant wheels, came standard with DT swiss internals and 36step star ratchet. Gorilla taped for tubeless with Stans
    -Maxxis High Roller 2 27.5 x 2.4 EXO 3C
    -Maxxis Ardent 27.5 x 2.25 EXO
    -Shimano XTR pedals
    -Shimano BB, but with a Chris King stepped conversion so i can micro shim the chainline and run the SRAM cranks
    -Reverb Stealth 125mm post
    -WTB Rocket V ti saddle
    -1 10mm spacer under stem
    -Giant carbon top cap from some old stem
    -Ti bolts, aluminum bolts in brake levers, shifters, stem top cap
    -Stock Fox CTD rear shock, Rockshox Monarch Plus en route though

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'm looking to buy the Trance 27.5 1. I am something between 5' 6'' and 5' 7'' : what size will suit me best : small or medium?

It seems to be a good bike. Will try to test it soon!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    The OEM seat is the worst thing ever. I've got bruises just south of my hip flexor area from trying to get behind the seat on anything remotely steep and rough. Contributing to the problem is the relative lack of 'drop' on the dropper. The amount of travel is less than the Kronolog on my AX1 but it certainly compounds the problems created by the seat.

The fizik tundra 2 on my ax1 is light years better, not sure why they slapped a not even good house brand on there. Maybe (rightly?) they think one of the first things people do to personalize their bike is replace the seat?

mtbr member
    The bikes have gotten 1/2" longer this year, so a small might work out better than in the past. The seat tube is pretty low though, so i'd check the height of your seat and maybe that will help you decide.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks for your answer! I've just found a LBS near home so i'll try small and medium

It will be my first mountain bike! Yeah!

Just Ride.
    It hits the top tube though, Can only use small bottles.

Thanks for the replies guys. I have it at the bottom now. It's going into the shop next week for a tune up, I'll let them look at it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast