Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 176
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13

    Anyone own or ridden the new trance 27.5?

    I've just sold my 2011 Reign and looking to get a Trance.

    I've ridden a Trance 2011 26" in the past and the 2013 29er and I liked how they rode and pedalled. The suspension felt just right, not too short and firm and not too long and soft.

    I'm interested in the new carbon Trance 27.5, but it looks like they've made some pretty significant changes this year. The suspension has increased from 120mm to 140mm and the head angle is now a very slack 67 degrees.

    On paper, this makes the suspension and geometry very similar to the Reign.

    If anyone's ridden the 27.5 Trance, could you provide some insights as to how it rides and feels? Does it still feel like a Trance or is it more like a Reign now?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    83
    I posted this on the 650B/27.5 forum in the Trance thread:

    I had the opportunity to ride the Trance SX 27.5 aluminum last weekend at a Giant demo. I have ridden the Trance X1 26er and the Trance X0 29r and I liked the SX the most. I can't speak for climbing, as the local trails here don't have much climbing, but I cut 8 minutes off my fastest 26er time of this loop on the SX. I didn't think I was going to see that much difference. I was able to enter corners faster and exit even faster, as I didn't loose any speed through the corners. I was getting air in places where I normally rolled on my 26er. It was well balanced in the air and I didn't notice any significant weight difference compared to my XTR equipped 26er, which is lighter. I even cleared an obstacle with the SX that I have yet to clear with my 26er. I also left the fork on 140mm the entire ride, as I forgot to switch it liked I planned due to being so into the ride. Don't judge the SX color until you see it in person. When I saw it on the computer monitor, I didn't like it, but it looks so much better in person. It has this metallic finish that the pictures don't capture well. Take it for what it's worth, just my personal opinion.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    22
    I also had a 2011 Reign but with a fox 36 160mm Vanilla on it. I have had the new Trance 3 for 2 weeks now and the biggest difference I have felt is the fork. The 32mm stanchions just are not stiff enough for some of the trails in Washington and I only weigh 155 with gear. The rest of the bike is awesome and feels like it blows the reign away in every aspect. The frame is very very stiff and just flat out rips on the downhills. The long wheelbase and low bb help make it feel very stable too at high speeds. Climbing is great with no noticeable pedal bob.

    I have not ridden the trance 29er but I believe the new Trance can handle anything the reign could, especially the Trance SX. If you want to ride rocky, rooty trails I would lean towards the SX or plan on getting a fork with beefier stanchions in the future. I think bike radar did a review on the Trance Advanced and their biggest complaint was the fork.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRush View Post
    I also had a 2011 Reign but with a fox 36 160mm Vanilla on it. I have had the new Trance 3 for 2 weeks now and the biggest difference I have felt is the fork. The 32mm stanchions just are not stiff enough for some of the trails in Washington and I only weigh 155 with gear. The rest of the bike is awesome and feels like it blows the reign away in every aspect. The frame is very very stiff and just flat out rips on the downhills. The long wheelbase and low bb help make it feel very stable too at high speeds. Climbing is great with no noticeable pedal bob.

    I have not ridden the trance 29er but I believe the new Trance can handle anything the reign could, especially the Trance SX. If you want to ride rocky, rooty trails I would lean towards the SX or plan on getting a fork with beefier stanchions in the future. I think bike radar did a review on the Trance Advanced and their biggest complaint was the fork.
    What's the rear suspension like? I felt the Reign was a bit too soft and wallowy out back which made it feel heavy to pedal. The soft suspension also made it impossible to climb hard out of the saddle.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by minhbo View Post
    What's the rear suspension like? I felt the Reign was a bit too soft and wallowy out back which made it feel heavy to pedal. The soft suspension also made it impossible to climb hard out of the saddle.
    I had the same issues with the Reign as well and so far the Trance has pedaled much more efficiently. The rock shox shock is quite a bit more stiff when pedaling but still super plush going down. I haven't noticed the wallowy feeling that the Reign gave me. The entire rear end just feels much more stiff when riding.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRush View Post
    I had the same issues with the Reign as well and so far the Trance has pedaled much more efficiently. The rock shox shock is quite a bit more stiff when pedaling but still super plush going down. I haven't noticed the wallowy feeling that the Reign gave me. The entire rear end just feels much more stiff when riding.
    Awesome, sounds good man. Thanks for your input.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    29

    Anyone own or ridden the new trance 27.5?

    I tested a Trance 27.5 3 (medium) today and it was very playful and i love the maestro suspension. Unfortunately it was too small for me. I am 5' 10" with a 32" inseam. This is the first Giant bike I have ever tested but, I was surprised how cramped the cock pit felt. My lbs did not have a large for me to test, but there are some ordered and on the way. Riding a bike like this in a parking lot is really not a true test but I almost positive this will be my new rig. I think I will be getting a lot of bang for $2000.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13

    Anyone own or ridden the new trance 27.5?

    Nelson73, what bike do you currently own and what sort of trails do you usually ride?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    29

    Anyone own or ridden the new trance 27.5?

    I'm currently riding a Santa Cruz Superlight 29er. I ride a bit of everything. Single track lots of roots and rocks climbing, drops etc. The Superlight Is a great bike and has served me very well but, I've been looking at trail bikes for a while. Something with more travel and different suspension design for the more technical stuff.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by nelson73; 08-26-2013 at 10:43 AM.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13

    Anyone own or ridden the new trance 27.5?

    Well I was finally able to test ride the Trance 27.5 today, the alu 2 version. I liked it a lot. The suspension is much firmer and sportier than the Reign - acceleration felt much more responsive. The 140mm feels right - not too much, not too little. Pedaling is great, very little bob. My concerns about the geometry and travel being too similar to the Reign were completely alleviated. This thing feels nothing like the Reign, it feels way better to me, it feels fast!

    I put a deposit down on the Advanced 1. Now I just have to wait 4-5 weeks before it arrives. This is gonna be the longest wait ever...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,533
    Demoed it last week, it reminded me of my old Reign and made me smile all the time I was on it.

    The bike is quick, agile, climbs well, plush suspension and did I mentioned that is fast.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    312
    How does it do in rock gardens?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,533
    Quote Originally Posted by Swissam View Post
    How does it do in rock gardens?
    We had no pedal strikes and the suspension on full open sucked everything very well.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    335
    Come on folks, I wanna see some "live" pics. Giant's pics almost universally don't do their bikes justice, let's see those bikes out in the wild!

    On the Trance, the only thing that has me scratching my head is how loooong the bike is. Still though, I want to take a ride on one. I'm probably going to hang on to my Anthem 29er for a while as it's a heck of a bike and very versatile, but there are elements about my Trance X that I miss. I think this new Trance might be a lot of fun for how I like to ride, and it still sounds plenty efficient.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,098
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRush View Post
    I had the same issues with the Reign as well and so far the Trance has pedaled much more efficiently. The rock shox shock is quite a bit more stiff when pedaling but still super plush going down. I haven't noticed the wallowy feeling that the Reign gave me. The entire rear end just feels much more stiff when riding.
    Your always going to get that with a monarch vs a float no matter what bike. Even in a L tune they are less active and more linear than a M tune Float.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by minhbo View Post
    Well I was finally able to test ride the Trance 27.5 today, the alu 2 version. I liked it a lot. The suspension is much firmer and sportier than the Reign - acceleration felt much more responsive. The 140mm feels right - not too much, not too little. Pedaling is great, very little bob. My concerns about the geometry and travel being too similar to the Reign were completely alleviated. This thing feels nothing like the Reign, it feels way better to me, it feels fast!

    I put a deposit down on the Advanced 1. Now I just have to wait 4-5 weeks before it arrives. This is gonna be the longest wait ever...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    @minhbo
    Will be very interested in feedback on that Advanced 1 once you get it, that's the one I'm thinking of getting.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    24
    You sure you want a Large?? I haven't ridding the 2014 model but I had a 2008 medium and now have a 2011 Large and I'm 6' tall and feel as if I'm in between the two. The medium I loved most of the time, except long rides felt cramped. The large is too big and I spent an entire year fiddling with seat posts, stems, handlebars, etc to get it to fit right. It fits me great now, but it took a while to get it dialed.
    If I were you I would seriously consider buying Medium and adjusting stem, bars, and maybe seat post. Of course I haven't ridden the 14 so maybe the geometry is completely different from 2011 and I'm completely wrong :-)

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,533
    Quote Originally Posted by GT5050 View Post
    Come on folks, I wanna see some "live" pics. Giant's pics almost universally don't do their bikes justice, let's see those bikes out in the wild!
    Don't have any of the bike alone, just a few action pics of my kid on it.






  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Oakeshott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    124
    Cool shots! That's the exact model I'm thinking of getting. Just wish the bike selection process wasn't so difficult lol.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    303
    i just put a deposit on one of these, i found these pics to drool over until mine is here in 2 weeks.
    2014 Giant Trance 27 5 1 in Sydney, NSW | eBay

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Don't have any of the bike alone, just a few action pics of my kid on it.





    Nice pics! Look forward to giving one of these a run

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13

    Anyone own or ridden the new trance 27.5?

    Nice shots! I'm liking the grey/turquoise colour scheme. I wasn't a fan at first, but it's really starting to grow on me. Reminds me of my grey/blue 2011 Reign, which funnily enough I didn't like the colour of either initially.

    I'm getting the advanced 1 however which is all black. I'm not crazy about all black, hopefully it grows on me. Still another few weeks at least until I get it......


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    34
    I would love to pick up the new trance 1 but I have one concern the overall wheel base and rear chainstay length. Where I ride it is very tight and technical up hill and downhill tight switch backs. People with 29ers have a difficult time due to the length so 26 and hopefully the new 27.5 should rule. We really don't have many open super fast trails just very tight and twisty.
    I rode the Norco sight killer b and it performed very well with it's super short chainstay. Just the Giant has every bell and whistle for the $ Norco can't touch.
    What experience do people have on the giant trance on tight trails?
    Thanks

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    34
    Anybody ridden in super tight low speed trails yet? Tight switch backs East coast style?

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    447
    I have a Trance 0 and ride in WV, the home of tight rocky techy single track. I can honestly say I have never been more impressed by a bike's handling than this. I'm normally a XC 29er guy (Flash, Scalpel 29, etc.), but this bike is just better on all levels except extended climbs that aren't very technical. It is 24.4 lbs with pedals and stock. Don't hesitate in taking it in the tight switches…..it truly is an all around awesome bike. You can drop the Revelation to 120mm if you need a more aggressive position for those steep *****y climbs and swoopy single track, too.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Trance X 29 or wait for 650b Trance/Reign
    By DirtDogVT in forum Giant
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-20-2013, 03:15 PM
  2. 2012 Trance X2 or 2013 Trance X2 29er?
    By reid.post in forum Giant
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-29-2013, 01:48 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-06-2013, 09:02 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-23-2012, 08:28 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-03-2011, 09:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •