Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Anyone own or ridden the new trance 27.5?

I've just sold my 2011 Reign and looking to get a Trance.

I've ridden a Trance 2011 26" in the past and the 2013 29er and I liked how they rode and pedalled. The suspension felt just right, not too short and firm and not too long and soft.

I'm interested in the new carbon Trance 27.5, but it looks like they've made some pretty significant changes this year. The suspension has increased from 120mm to 140mm and the head angle is now a very slack 67 degrees.

On paper, this makes the suspension and geometry very similar to the Reign.

If anyone's ridden the 27.5 Trance, could you provide some insights as to how it rides and feels? Does it still feel like a Trance or is it more like a Reign now?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I posted this on the 650B/27.5 forum in the Trance thread:

I had the opportunity to ride the Trance SX 27.5 aluminum last weekend at a Giant demo. I have ridden the Trance X1 26er and the Trance X0 29r and I liked the SX the most. I can't speak for climbing, as the local trails here don't have much climbing, but I cut 8 minutes off my fastest 26er time of this loop on the SX. I didn't think I was going to see that much difference. I was able to enter corners faster and exit even faster, as I didn't loose any speed through the corners. I was getting air in places where I normally rolled on my 26er. It was well balanced in the air and I didn't notice any significant weight difference compared to my XTR equipped 26er, which is lighter. I even cleared an obstacle with the SX that I have yet to clear with my 26er. I also left the fork on 140mm the entire ride, as I forgot to switch it liked I planned due to being so into the ride. Don't judge the SX color until you see it in person. When I saw it on the computer monitor, I didn't like it, but it looks so much better in person. It has this metallic finish that the pictures don't capture well. Take it for what it's worth, just my personal opinion.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I also had a 2011 Reign but with a fox 36 160mm Vanilla on it. I have had the new Trance 3 for 2 weeks now and the biggest difference I have felt is the fork. The 32mm stanchions just are not stiff enough for some of the trails in Washington and I only weigh 155 with gear. The rest of the bike is awesome and feels like it blows the reign away in every aspect. The frame is very very stiff and just flat out rips on the downhills. The long wheelbase and low bb help make it feel very stable too at high speeds. Climbing is great with no noticeable pedal bob.

I have not ridden the trance 29er but I believe the new Trance can handle anything the reign could, especially the Trance SX. If you want to ride rocky, rooty trails I would lean towards the SX or plan on getting a fork with beefier stanchions in the future. I think bike radar did a review on the Trance Advanced and their biggest complaint was the fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRush View Post
    I also had a 2011 Reign but with a fox 36 160mm Vanilla on it. I have had the new Trance 3 for 2 weeks now and the biggest difference I have felt is the fork. The 32mm stanchions just are not stiff enough for some of the trails in Washington and I only weigh 155 with gear. The rest of the bike is awesome and feels like it blows the reign away in every aspect. The frame is very very stiff and just flat out rips on the downhills. The long wheelbase and low bb help make it feel very stable too at high speeds. Climbing is great with no noticeable pedal bob.

I have not ridden the trance 29er but I believe the new Trance can handle anything the reign could, especially the Trance SX. If you want to ride rocky, rooty trails I would lean towards the SX or plan on getting a fork with beefier stanchions in the future. I think bike radar did a review on the Trance Advanced and their biggest complaint was the fork.
    What's the rear suspension like? I felt the Reign was a bit too soft and wallowy out back which made it feel heavy to pedal. The soft suspension also made it impossible to climb hard out of the saddle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by minhbo View Post
    What's the rear suspension like? I felt the Reign was a bit too soft and wallowy out back which made it feel heavy to pedal. The soft suspension also made it impossible to climb hard out of the saddle.
    I had the same issues with the Reign as well and so far the Trance has pedaled much more efficiently. The rock shox shock is quite a bit more stiff when pedaling but still super plush going down. I haven't noticed the wallowy feeling that the Reign gave me. The entire rear end just feels much more stiff when riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I had the same issues with the Reign as well and so far the Trance has pedaled much more efficiently. The rock shox shock is quite a bit more stiff when pedaling but still super plush going down. I haven't noticed the wallowy feeling that the Reign gave me. The entire rear end just feels much more stiff when riding.
    Awesome, sounds good man. Thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

I tested a Trance 27.5 3 (medium) today and it was very playful and i love the maestro suspension. Unfortunately it was too small for me. I am 5' 10" with a 32" inseam. This is the first Giant bike I have ever tested but, I was surprised how cramped the cock pit felt. My lbs did not have a large for me to test, but there are some ordered and on the way. Riding a bike like this in a parking lot is really not a true test but I almost positive this will be my new rig. I think I will be getting a lot of bang for $2000.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Nelson73, what bike do you currently own and what sort of trails do you usually ride?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

I'm currently riding a Santa Cruz Superlight 29er. I ride a bit of everything. Single track lots of roots and rocks climbing, drops etc. The Superlight Is a great bike and has served me very well but, I've been looking at trail bikes for a while. Something with more travel and different suspension design for the more technical stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by nelson73; 08-26-2013 at 10:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Well I was finally able to test ride the Trance 27.5 today, the alu 2 version. I liked it a lot. The suspension is much firmer and sportier than the Reign - acceleration felt much more responsive. The 140mm feels right - not too much, not too little. Pedaling is great, very little bob. My concerns about the geometry and travel being too similar to the Reign were completely alleviated. This thing feels nothing like the Reign, it feels way better to me, it feels fast!

I put a deposit down on the Advanced 1. Now I just have to wait 4-5 weeks before it arrives. This is gonna be the longest wait ever...

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Demoed it last week, it reminded me of my old Reign and made me smile all the time I was on it.

The bike is quick, agile, climbs well, plush suspension and did I mentioned that is fast.

mtbr member
    How does it do in rock gardens?

Quote Originally Posted by Swissam View Post
    How does it do in rock gardens?
    We had no pedal strikes and the suspension on full open sucked everything very well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Come on folks, I wanna see some "live" pics. Giant's pics almost universally don't do their bikes justice, let's see those bikes out in the wild!

On the Trance, the only thing that has me scratching my head is how loooong the bike is. Still though, I want to take a ride on one. I'm probably going to hang on to my Anthem 29er for a while as it's a heck of a bike and very versatile, but there are elements about my Trance X that I miss. I think this new Trance might be a lot of fun for how I like to ride, and it still sounds plenty efficient.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Your always going to get that with a monarch vs a float no matter what bike. Even in a L tune they are less active and more linear than a M tune Float.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by minhbo View Post
    Well I was finally able to test ride the Trance 27.5 today, the alu 2 version. I liked it a lot. The suspension is much firmer and sportier than the Reign - acceleration felt much more responsive. The 140mm feels right - not too much, not too little. Pedaling is great, very little bob. My concerns about the geometry and travel being too similar to the Reign were completely alleviated. This thing feels nothing like the Reign, it feels way better to me, it feels fast!

I put a deposit down on the Advanced 1. Now I just have to wait 4-5 weeks before it arrives. This is gonna be the longest wait ever...

@minhbo
    Will be very interested in feedback on that Advanced 1 once you get it, that's the one I'm thinking of getting.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    You sure you want a Large?? I haven't ridding the 2014 model but I had a 2008 medium and now have a 2011 Large and I'm 6' tall and feel as if I'm in between the two. The medium I loved most of the time, except long rides felt cramped. The large is too big and I spent an entire year fiddling with seat posts, stems, handlebars, etc to get it to fit right. It fits me great now, but it took a while to get it dialed.
    If I were you I would seriously consider buying Medium and adjusting stem, bars, and maybe seat post. Of course I haven't ridden the 14 so maybe the geometry is completely different from 2011 and I'm completely wrong :-)

Quote Originally Posted by GT5050 View Post
    Come on folks, I wanna see some "live" pics. Giant's pics almost universally don't do their bikes justice, let's see those bikes out in the wild!
    Don't have any of the bike alone, just a few action pics of my kid on it.

mtbr member
    Cool shots! That's the exact model I'm thinking of getting. Just wish the bike selection process wasn't so difficult lol.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i just put a deposit on one of these, i found these pics to drool over until mine is here in 2 weeks.
    2014 Giant Trance 27 5 1 in Sydney, NSW | eBay

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Don't have any of the bike alone, just a few action pics of my kid on it.

Nice pics! Look forward to giving one of these a run

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Nice shots! I'm liking the grey/turquoise colour scheme. I wasn't a fan at first, but it's really starting to grow on me. Reminds me of my grey/blue 2011 Reign, which funnily enough I didn't like the colour of either initially.

I'm getting the advanced 1 however which is all black. I'm not crazy about all black, hopefully it grows on me. Still another few weeks at least until I get it......

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I would love to pick up the new trance 1 but I have one concern the overall wheel base and rear chainstay length. Where I ride it is very tight and technical up hill and downhill tight switch backs. People with 29ers have a difficult time due to the length so 26 and hopefully the new 27.5 should rule. We really don't have many open super fast trails just very tight and twisty.
    I rode the Norco sight killer b and it performed very well with it's super short chainstay. Just the Giant has every bell and whistle for the $ Norco can't touch.
    What experience do people have on the giant trance on tight trails?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Anybody ridden in super tight low speed trails yet? Tight switch backs East coast style?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have a Trance 0 and ride in WV, the home of tight rocky techy single track. I can honestly say I have never been more impressed by a bike's handling than this. I'm normally a XC 29er guy (Flash, Scalpel 29, etc.), but this bike is just better on all levels except extended climbs that aren't very technical. It is 24.4 lbs with pedals and stock. Don't hesitate in taking it in the tight switches…..it truly is an all around awesome bike. You can drop the Revelation to 120mm if you need a more aggressive position for those steep *****y climbs and swoopy single track, too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Is that 24.4 lbs including the seat dropper? and what size is bike?

Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    I have a Trance 0 and ride in WV, the home of tight rocky techy single track. I can honestly say I have never been more impressed by a bike's handling than this. I'm normally a XC 29er guy (Flash, Scalpel 29, etc.), but this bike is just better on all levels except extended climbs that aren't very technical. It is 24.4 lbs with pedals and stock. Don't hesitate in taking it in the tight switches…..it truly is an all around awesome bike. You can drop the Revelation to 120mm if you need a more aggressive position for those steep *****y climbs and swoopy single track, too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    That is stock with seat dropper in size medium

Your Best Friend

Re: Anyone own or ridden the new trance 27.5?

Pics of the weight or it didn't happen.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Pics of the weight or it didn't happen.

...what he said!

So 24.4lbs = 11kg (roughly) with a seat dropper.

= 10.7kg replacing the seat dropper with say a Thomson Masterpiece. That's amazing for that amount of travel. And we dont even know what pedals your sporting, might go lower again...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

My scale looks to be 0.03 lb higher than the shop

I'm using my specialized saddle and converted to tubeless. The only differences from stock.

Anyone own or ridden the new trance 27.5?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1380918527.214390.jpgAnyone own or ridden the new trance 27.5?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1380918565.880876.jpg
    Last edited by trauma-md; 10-05-2013 at 12:36 AM.

Your Best Friend

Very nice. Good job.

Back in the saddle
    Agreed with trauma-md. I have a 2014 Trance X1 29er and I can only imagine that the 27.5 is even better in all regards, other than Rock Garden surfing.

The 29er handles the tight twisty stuff superbly; soaks up rock gardens like they're pebble beaches; and climbs incredibly well, even in "descend" mode. Seriously the most fun I've had on a bike since I getting into trouble when I was ten, armed with the very trick (for it's time) Yamaha "full suspension" bicycle! :-)

One of the coolest aspects of this bike is that when one is really ripping there is so much traction that one is really rewarded by pushing on the inside handlebar in a turn -- very much like riding a motorcycle. (Ooops. Hoping to not to start a "counter-steering" debate!).

The one minor irritation of the 29er is some "chain slap" on rocky downhills. It appears that you could remove a link or two from the chain. Could/should wrap your rear swing arm to protect it -- mine is already chewed up from the chain from one ride without any protection. Be interesting to hear the results of a 27.5 in this regards.

I just ordered a Bionicon Chain Guide and hope that quiets things down a tad.

Other than that, the bike is wicked. And for the price? Well, it's downright sinful! ;-)

Just Ride.
    Picked up my new Trance Advanced 2 yesterday. 12.7kg out of the box. Looks great, heading out for a ride soon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    chuck up a pic man! i get mine next week, can't wait!

Just Ride.
    Terrible photos but here are two: Looks 100 times better in person then it does on the Giant site.

Put a Race Face single ring on the front, different grips and Hans Dampf on the front. First ride went well, alot to get use to for me coming from what I was on before but it was awesome. Bike is so smooth over any terrain, just soaks it all up. Climbing was good, lock the rear shock out and tighten the front up and it climbs like my old hardtail. Over rocky or loose ascents it excels over 26inch. Just glides up.
    The bigger wheels didn't feel sluggish to me like the 29 inch do. The gearing does change pushing the bigger wheels over 26 though.
    Biggest advantage in speed was down descents, once up to speed you keep picking up speed alot more then 26inch. I was rolling down fire roads 10-15kmh faster without trying.

The brakes are amazing, so powerful and they aren't even bed in yet. Wheels felt good, as stiff as my old Mavic 819s or if not more.
    You will love it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Which version of the Trance is that?

Looks great!

Just Ride.
    Trance Advanced 2. Not every country got them. Luckily Australia did. It's perfect for my price range.
    Trance Advanced 27.5 2 (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Australia

Just Ride.
    Few better photos. Still getting use to t.

All going well so far. Having a little trouble stopping the Avid Elixr 7s from rubbing and not alot of room to get a drink bottle in and out. But all up it's going great.

mtbr member
    Name:  trance 2.jpg
Views: 8077
Size:  47.9 KBName:  Trance 1.jpg
Views: 8224
Size:  53.2 KB

I figured it's time to chime in about the 3 weeks of riding i've had on my Trance Advanced.

First off, i started with an Advanced 1 and stripped most of the parts off of it. I kept the wheels and the lower headset cup- that's about it!
    My build is XX1, XO trail brakes, Pike Solo Air 150, Reverb Stealth, HR2 EXO 2.4 front, Ardent 2.25 EXO rear.

Weight is 26.7 lbs

I've had a reign, and 4 Reign X's over the years, and have spent the last 2 summers riding 29ers. I had tried a handful of 27.5's over the last year but i didn't find one that gave me the light bulb going off in my head feeling i was hoping for. At first the 29ers blew me away with how fast they were, given it was the Yeti SB95 that started it all, before that 29ers felt too goofy to take seriously.

I'm into Enduro racing/ Super D, so i reached the point with the great riding Reign that i was simply faster on Super D courses on the 29er. So 29 i went. As Enduro racing exploded over the last year, i was really beginning to search out a 27.5 i liked as i was feeling the need for more travel yet still good rolling speed since Enduros are typically more technical than old Super D's were. After seeing the specs of the Trance 27.5 i went out on a limb and ordered one without even trying one!! That was one great bet!!! The first 100 feet of flowy trail and i was sold. This Trance 27.5 is actually faster on the vast majority of trails than any 29er i've had. It is much much easier to accelerate, has more travel, is lighter, fits better, oh- and is the most fun One Bike i've ever had (and it's number 68 of mtn bikes i've had over the years!)

There are places the 29er is still faster, like long straightaways with jumps, faster 2 tracks, etc, and places a 26 would still excel (even though none come to mind at the moment :-) . Those places seem far and few between. I mean- if i had a 29er set up with big all mtn tires the advantages of the 29 are minimal, if a 29 had light fast tires-which they can get away with- sure they are fast, but that's not exactly a fair comparison. I went through more tires than i care to mention this season since i was trying to avoid heavy 29er tires to keep the bike quick.

My Strava times are favorable, and i did get the trance just in time to race it at The Whole Enchilada Enduro, which is the ultimate test in my eyes. Last year the Yeti 29er took me to 3rd in amateur which i was very happy with! I bested my position this year even though the race was spread out into 2 days and had a first day of very pedaly stages which set me back before The Enchilada. Day 2 was the real test and i felt that i was fresher from easier accelerations, and the extra travel allowed me to look farther ahead, gave me more line options, and saved my tires/wheels.

Carbon everything, 1x11, dropper post, stiff yet strong and easy rolling wheels...i've only got my skill training and fitness to focus on for next year. There's not much more i can ask for in a bike, and i don't think there will be any major technology changes in the next few years. The bike is dialed!!!!!!!!!

Anyone own or ridden the new trance 27.5?-canyons-air.jpg
    Santa Cruz Bronson 2 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

Just Ride.
    Looks awesome! Great build!
    Just a question. When you took your stem off was there a sleeve that went over the steerer tube? Mine has a sleeve inside the stem. I lowered the stem a bit and think I got it the right way except it has a creak now. Do you remember which way it was?

Thanks

2010 Glory custom FR
    Krispy, original HA of T ADV 27,5 is 66, right? Can you tell what's the diff with 150mm Pike?
    Can you post full spec list?
    pozdro
    frango

2010 Glory custom FR
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel. View Post
    not alot of room to get a drink bottle in and out.
    SO, get "sidepull" WB cage ;>
    Giant Gateway Pro Side Pull Carbon Cage (Bottles / Cages) - Bike Gear | Giant Bicycles | UK / Ireland
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Joel,
    You have a bike we don't see in the States, it sounds like your bike has a normal 1 1/8 fork and an Overdrive By Giant 1 1/4 stem with a spacer inside. If you were to purchase that stem aftermarket it comes with a shim. It's odd that the fork isn't 1 1/4 if it came on the bike.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by krispy@go-ride.com View Post
    Joel,
    You have a bike we don't see in the States, it sounds like your bike has a normal 1 1/8 fork and an Overdrive By Giant 1 1/4 stem with a spacer inside. If you were to purchase that stem aftermarket it comes with a shim. It's odd that the fork isn't 1 1/4 if it came on the bike.
    I agree. He has a European Trance Advanced 2. It has a "standard" Giant overdrive 2, 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 frame. I would have guessed his RockShox Sektor RL Solo Air is also spec'd to be overdrive 2 but with the spacer, who knows. Since he has the spacer it is probably safe to assume it's a standard tapered fork with a standard tapered headset but his stem is OD2 compatible.

Joel, without looking at it I'm guessing the spacer goes on first with the lip at the bottom. I'll double check when I get a chance. You could also just buy a standard 1 1/8 stem and use that.

mtbr member
    Frango,
    A Trance 27.5 with a 140 should be 67, with a 160 should be 66 (as in the SX). Mine has a 150mm fork. It still measures about 66 though.

Specs-
    -Pike solo air 150, 50psi, custom trimmed 1/2 of a volume reducing token in the air spring
    -Cane Creek 40 series 44zs upper half of headset (to fit the standard 1 1/8 tapered Pike)
    -Enve RSR bar 740mm
    -Lizard Skins peaty lock on grips
    XX1 with a trigger shifter mounted with a matchmaker to the brake lever
    -32t ring
    -E Thirteen XCX ISCG 05 guide with velcro inside (Fur Taco)
    -XO Trail brakes with 160 rotors
    -Sunline am 50 mm stem
    -Giant wheels, came standard with DT swiss internals and 36step star ratchet. Gorilla taped for tubeless with Stans
    -Maxxis High Roller 2 27.5 x 2.4 EXO 3C
    -Maxxis Ardent 27.5 x 2.25 EXO
    -Shimano XTR pedals
    -Shimano BB, but with a Chris King stepped conversion so i can micro shim the chainline and run the SRAM cranks
    -Reverb Stealth 125mm post
    -WTB Rocket V ti saddle
    -1 10mm spacer under stem
    -Giant carbon top cap from some old stem
    -Ti bolts, aluminum bolts in brake levers, shifters, stem top cap
    -Stock Fox CTD rear shock, Rockshox Monarch Plus en route though

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'm looking to buy the Trance 27.5 1. I am something between 5' 6'' and 5' 7'' : what size will suit me best : small or medium?

It seems to be a good bike. Will try to test it soon!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    The OEM seat is the worst thing ever. I've got bruises just south of my hip flexor area from trying to get behind the seat on anything remotely steep and rough. Contributing to the problem is the relative lack of 'drop' on the dropper. The amount of travel is less than the Kronolog on my AX1 but it certainly compounds the problems created by the seat.

The fizik tundra 2 on my ax1 is light years better, not sure why they slapped a not even good house brand on there. Maybe (rightly?) they think one of the first things people do to personalize their bike is replace the seat?

mtbr member
    The bikes have gotten 1/2" longer this year, so a small might work out better than in the past. The seat tube is pretty low though, so i'd check the height of your seat and maybe that will help you decide.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks for your answer! I've just found a LBS near home so i'll try small and medium

It will be my first mountain bike! Yeah!

Just Ride.
    It hits the top tube though, Can only use small bottles.

Thanks for the replies guys. I have it at the bottom now. It's going into the shop next week for a tune up, I'll let them look at it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for your great post Krispy. I relate to your needs since I race DH, Super D and did one Enduro. Have had many bikes and recently riding a trance x 29er for everything. I agree with how 29ers just are fast and I thought that was it for me. Turns out I have a demo Trance X 1 27.5 for a few days and took it out for a technical xc. This bike is the real deal, I am probably getting a 2014 with a Pike and throwing on some dh bars as well as some Schwalbe Super Gravitys. Bike rips

2010 Glory custom FR
    Quote Originally Posted by krispy@go-ride.com View Post
    Frango,
    A Trance 27.5 with a 140 should be 67, with a 160 should be 66 (as in the SX). Mine has a 150mm fork. It still measures about 66 though.

Specs-
    -Pike solo air 150, 50psi, custom trimmed 1/2 of a volume reducing token in the air spring...
    Awesome build!
    Yes, you're right about stock HA, my mistake
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    I have a 2011 Anthem X 29er 2 and was very interested in the Trance 27.5 1 and as luck would have it, there was a Giant demo day at the LBS a couple weeks ago. I was told I could have it out for 2 hours on local trails. I had ridden the same area about a month ago on the 29er and told myself I'd never do a particularly rough trail in that area again. It is technical, uphill at first, lots of switchbacks and rocks. I chickened out on all the tight switchbacks (both up and down ones) and had to walk a lot on the 29er.

As the demo Trance 27.5 1 was feeling pretty good on the easier trails, I decided to try the trail I hated..ended up walking less through the rough stuff and did 4 of the 6 uphill switchbacks (where I chickened out and walked all 6 on the 29er). Turns out my planned 20 minute ride (I didn't even take water) ended up being 1-1/2 hour and I actually rode the entire loop and enjoyed the trail. The 27.5 1 felt better balanced for some reason....I could ride slower (granny 1) and still have good balance. The suspension was plusher and felt like it would go over anything...I just had to keep pedaling. I even experimented with taking the crappy line and just pedaling and the bike just worked through the rough stuff. As mentioned, I was able to pedal through sections I had to walk on the 29er. It seems easier to turn vs. the 29er, and I just realized in looking at the specs that the 27.5 1 wheelbase is 2" longer than my Anthem X 29er. It doesn't feel that long!

I felt more confident on the 27.5 vs. the 29er in the more technical parts of the trail, the SLX brakes were awesome and the shifting and 2x10 drivetrain was very precise. Add in the fact that the LBS and Giant offered 15% off if you buy the day of the demo, I was sold from the demo ride and got one.

My Trance 27.5 1 size XL weighed 29.57lbs as delivered no pedals.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hey, I'm looking to find someone willing to swap drivetrain & brakes between the 2014 Trance Advanced sx & the Trance Advanced 1. Ultimately, I want the TA sx, with the Shimano drivetrain & brakes. So if I can find someone who wants a TA 1 with X01 & Avid Trail brakes, the swap would be easy.
    Thanks

Just Ride.
    After a month or so and two gravity enduros I can say I am getting use to the Trance. I am getting Strava KOMs which I tried on the old bike and couldn't get. They just love pointing down, just let it go and it will soak everything up. I am also smashing my Strava records on uphills. I think I will upgrade the wheelset to Stans ZTR Flow EX.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Going on two months with my Trance 27.5 1 (top alum version).
    Coming off of a 26" Kona Dawg.

This trance blows away my All-Mountain Dawg in both down hill and up hill.
    When pointed down - this thing rips and gets up to speed WAY faster.
    With a point-n-shoot feeling that the Dawg never had.
    On my secret down-hill sections (boulder strewn with ruts and lots of off camber turns), I beat my old times by a good minute - thats huge.
    And it's all in the areas where I would normally slow down for certain sections.
    I'm actually taking new lines that I would never had taken - and keeping my speed up.

Up hills - I'm pulling a couple more gears than I normally did on the Dawg.
    Normal sections I would take in 2nd, I'm in 4th or 5th and pulling away from my friends on climbs.

the Dropper seat post is a HUGE difference.
    Not sure how anyone can go without that.

SLX brakes and XT drive train is awesome.
    I notice a big difference in the 15mm front axle over my old 9mm.

My only issue is the stock NObby Nic tires.
    Fine when climbing and casual trails, but once you push the envelope in turns, the outside knobs want to roll over. that can get scary at 40mph.

I love it.
    I recommend the "1" version over the 2 or 3 if you can afford it.

This aluminum Trance-1 vs. Trance advance (Carbon frame).......
    I'm a Shimano fan. so very happy with the 2 x 10 set-up.
    I'm also a little fonder of the FOX suspension.
    So I think the Aluminum version is just fine for me.

I'm 5-9" / 150lbs / got the Medium.
    Cut the bars to 26" wide.

The only thing I see doing down the road is going to some lighter wheels and tube-less.

My only other option was the Norco Sight Killer-B.
    And since I had no dealer near me and it was a 4 to 6 week wait for one, I went with the Giant.

I am very happy.
    Last edited by Garrick_s; 12-18-2013 at 01:07 AM.

mtbr member
    I also didn't like the Knobby Nics, swapped them out for Kenda Slant Six and noticed a huge improvement

Good, green, Oregon.
    Questions for you owners, to which I am jealous of.....

- Getting the front end off the ground. How is it? Not from a climbing standpoint, but just all around.....can you manual? I am coming off an AX29er and with the long chainstays on the long geometry of an XC bike, getting it up is quite the challenge. This is something that I want to be able to do with my next bike and am thinking this one may be better.

- Sizing. I am just over 6' tall. My AX29er is a large and I keep thinking it is a hair big for me. It is long, and while I have tried shortening up the cokpit, it makes me think I might want to look at a Medium, to at least rule it out. That said, and I haven't ridden one yet, I understand the geometry has the Trance feeling a bit shorter in the cockpit, more upright seated than laying down. Anyone find themselves changing sizes or leaning one way or the other, smaller or bigger?

- Is "flickable" a real word, and if so, do you find that it applies to this bike well?

Alright, that is it for now. Would love some thoughts from you owners so far. Thanks guys!
    *2016 Transition Patrol Carbon (aka: Sweet Pea)

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Got my trance 1 Alum beginning of Dec but then snow arrived so haven't put many miles on it yet.
    Getting the front wheel off the ground is NOT a problem, I needed a bike that I could get the wheel off the ground quickly to get over down trees. The front wheel comes up easy with no effort so very happy.
    Sizing I'm 5 9 so a med fit well, but it does feel tight at first but I got used to it very quickly. I would think for your size a Large should fit, but I would check with the dealer.
    The bike feels very flickable, it might look long on spec sheets but when you ride it feels very tight in the rear.
    Can't wait for the snow to go so that I can get out again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eruizela View Post
    Thanks for your great post Krispy. I relate to your needs since I race DH, Super D and did one Enduro. Have had many bikes and recently riding a trance x 29er for everything. I agree with how 29ers just are fast and I thought that was it for me. Turns out I have a demo Trance X 1 27.5 for a few days and took it out for a technical xc. This bike is the real deal, I am probably getting a 2014 with a Pike and throwing on some dh bars as well as some Schwalbe Super Gravitys. Bike rips
    Are you serious your Trance X 29er is fast? I find mine bloody slow. my 26" is way faster than my Trance X 29er. I find the Trance x 29er very slow in cornering, acceleration and climbing. It also require much more effort to roll than my 26".

I'm ditching my Trance 29er, probably I'll purchase a trek slash or Bronson 650B. I tried the Trance 650b its a great bike but its limited to stem selection due to overdrive 2.

Anyway how durable is Trance 650b carbon frame has anyone crushed their carbon frame onto a rock?

mtbr member
    Got my Trance 1 in mid December and couldn't be more pleased. Though I have over 30 years of road cycling/racing experience, my MTB experience has been fairly limited. My FS experience has been on a 2004 NRS that I bought in 2008, so I'm sure that any bike with up-to-date suspension technology would be a vast improvement. Regardless, I feel like a totally different rider on the Trance. The bike just gives me confidence that I never had before. First time on my favorite trail I was taking lines and hitting features that I'd previously avoided or tip-toed through without hesitation. And as much fun as it is going downhill, I find that it is a very sure-footed and agile climber. I am 5' 9" and the medium is a perfect fit. Currently everything is stock and the SLX brakes and SLX/XT drivetrain perform flawlessly. I might consider a new wheelset with Stans Crest or Arch rims and tubeless tires, but for now I'm happy with the bike as-is and having a ton of fun!

mtbr member

on the fence

Im on the fence between the anthem advanced 2 27.5 and the Trance 27.5. Im an xc guy that likes to go fast but also likes to have fun. I test rode the Anthem and was blown away with how fast it cornered and how fast you could get back up to speed. Now the Trance would be another option as it has longer travel better components and shock and fork. I hate choices. As this will also be my race bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone own or ridden the new trance 27.5?-d672241f.jpg  

Anyone own or ridden the new trance 27.5?-trance_27.5_1.jpg  

1983 Ross Custom Deluxe Mtb
    2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5
    2015 Giant TCX SLR 2

SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    how do you find the the ride of Trance x 27.5 compared to Trance x 29er. Does the 27.5 wheel similarly rolls on rocks and roots as the 29?

Also what about the traction and acceleration?

mtbr member
    I rode both the Anthem Advanced and the Trance Advanced 1 at the local Giant demo back in August. Coming from more of an XC background I expected to prefer the Anthem, but instead found that the Trance had a noticeably more stable, predictable, plusher ride, which translates into better control (at least for me), yet seemed just as fast and responsive on climbs, and faster (due to the better control) on downhills. The head angle of the Trance is slacker than the Anthem by 2.5 deg (in the medium), and the wheelbase is ~2 in longer, so the Trance may not be as agile, but it makes up for that by being more forgiving, which certainly suits my old bones and marginal skills. I don't think there is much difference in weight and I believe you can certainly race XC on the Trance. For me, it's just a great all-round bike. Try them both; you can't go wrong with either!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Anybody have the weight of a trance 27.5 1 aluminum? M or L.

Thanks

Good, green, Oregon.
    Quote Originally Posted by mxzx121 View Post

Thanks

I got some info for you regarding weight from the Giant USA product manager. Here is his response.

Trance 27.5 1 = (depending on size) roughly 29.8 lb
    Trance SX 27.5 = (depending on size) roughly 28.5 lb
    From a Giant employee, seen in this thread:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/27-5-650b/gia...l#post10714747
    Page 18, post # 445.

mtbr member
    I have the Medium Trance 1, everything currently is stock, and I weighed it yesterday at 29.3 lb. I don't notice the weight on climbs compared to my 25 lb 26" bike, but that could be due to the Maestro suspension and the better fit of the Trance.

San Miguel Beer Drinker
    Apr 2009

Can i trouble the ones who had dropper posts installed already ? I want to see how they routed the cables. Pics please ? Pretty please...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    It is routed internally on the 2014 Trance, though the post can be set up with either internal or external operation. I'd be happy to sent some pics, but it won't show much except where the housing exits the frame. I can describe the misery of trying to route the housing through the frame for anyone dumb enough to accidentally pull the housing too far down the seat tube!

San Miguel Beer Drinker
    Apr 2009

Thanks oldroadie. I might just put the switch on the left, have the cable enter on the right-side then exit on the left.

Might be getting the non stealth reverb. Thanks

mtbr member
    For fully internal routing, the switch is on the left, housing/cable enters down tube at top right, then snakes up the seat tube. Don't see why you couldn't do partial internal routing like you described. If you do fully internal, I recommend feeding a guide of some sort (we used a brake cable - flexible but stiffer than a derailleur cable) down the seat tube, coaxing it to make the bend at the BB using a tool (a spoke will work) at the port on the bottom right of the down tube, and then up to top right port. Then push the housing down the guide starting at the seat tube. If the bike gods are with you, you can push/pull the housing around the bend at the BB (that's the tricky spot).

San Miguel Beer Drinker
    Apr 2009

Im using the non stealth reverb, thats why it wont be possible to route it internally competely

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mxzx121 View Post

Thanks
    My size XL without pedals is 29.53 lbs

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Climbing on the Trance 27.5 is a great mystery to me. We had a customer buy a 3 in Large and let a few of us ride it. I had very little fun on it, mostly because it just felt slow on the climb, and really slow and vague steering. The others felt similar but not as strongly as I.

However looking at the specs I just now realized that the 3 is the only one without a platform adjustable shock such as a Fox CTD or Monarch RT3. Thoughts?

San Miguel Beer Drinker
    Apr 2009

Mine is a trance 3 medium, weighed almost 31 lbs out of the box.

Oldroadie, i changed my mind and went for the stealth reverb. Had the switch at the left side, and through the route you mentioned. Had all cables done internally for a sleek look. The shop guys did it for me. Couldn't imagine how i would have been able to accomplish that.

mtbr member
    I have the Trance 27.5 1 and a 2011 Anthem X 29er 2 (and previously a 2008 Trance X2). When first jumping on the 27.5 1 on a demo day ride, I noticed the slacker 67 deg head angle coupled with the 140mm fork feeling slower in steering than my other bikes. But since mine has the TALAS fork, dropping the travel for the climbs brought the Trance into a climbing feel similar to the other bikes. The way the T27.5 1 handled slow rocky technical climbs for me was one of the reasons I bought the bike, to me I felt better balanced and more manuverable vs. the 29er in tight sections on the same trail. Now that I've had the T27.5 1 for a couple months, the geometry is feeling more 'normal' to me, and I don't seem to use the TALAS as much, but will still engage it on the steep climbs. I've also played around with fork and shock pressure (varying a few psi) to find a good 'geometry' feel between front and rear.
    I think the Travel adjust fork helps a lot on the climb feel (and the 3 model doesn't have this feaure obviously).
    As far as the shock on climbing, I've tried all 3 CTD options, and for me they don't really affect climb 'feel' much as far as steering to me at least. I usually just leave it in Descend mode most of the time, with occasional use of Trail mode.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Well, there goes that theory. The T29er feel quicker steering to me, but I have limited time on one. I guess the T27.5 and I were destined to not get along.

mtbr member
    No, you're right, the AX29er (and for that matter the TX29er) will feel quicker in the steering based on their head angles, my only point was the T27.5 1 with the Talas fork in the dropped position gets you closer to their feeling. I don't think I'd like the 27.5 3 - being stuck with the 140mm fork coupled with the 67 deg head angle. The Talas was a big selling feature for me in getting the T27.5 1 as most all of my 26" wheel bikes have travel adjust forks on them.

Good, green, Oregon.
    Well, my Anthem sold yesterday, and I will be putting a large down payment for layaway of a 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1. Stoked! I was going to wait to see what the 2015's bring to the table, but I couldn't pass up the offer on the Anthem. So I will soon join the club, as it should take me a month or so to get the remainder paid off. Sure, I want to ride it now, but I am getting over a separated shoulder, and the extra time off the bike isn't a bad thing to allow for further healing.

Thanks to all posting about this bike, as it has been a big help. It sounds like this will do exactly what I hoped for me and my riding, and I am looking forward to giving some feedback once I get some rides in.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitedog View Post
    No, you're right, the AX29er (and for that matter the TX29er) will feel quicker in the steering based on their head angles, my only point was the T27.5 1 with the Talas fork in the dropped position gets you closer to their feeling. I don't think I'd like the 27.5 3 - being stuck with the 140mm fork coupled with the 67 deg head angle. The Talas was a big selling feature for me in getting the T27.5 1 as most all of my 26" wheel bikes have travel adjust forks on them.
    That is helpful, thank you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jazclrint View Post
    Well, there goes that theory. The T29er feel quicker steering to me, but I have limited time on one. I guess the T27.5 and I were destined to not get along.
    ^ This for me too.

Damn should be ridding
    Ok its down to Trance Advanced SX & Advanced 1...... like Shocks on SX but like groupo on 1.... comments from the peanut gallery?!!

Already purchased Ti Egg beaters and Diadora Pro 2 Shoes just need bike to put them on.
    FREAKIN just bought EXO ML

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Whipray View Post
    ^ This for me too.
    At least I'm not alone.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Buy the 1 and put an SR Suntour 120/160 travel adjust Auron on it.

Love spending other people's money.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Got a 2014 Trance-X 29er 1 in med. Came with a 80mm stem, swapped it with a 60mm stem and it made me forget it was a 29er. I couldn't ride the T27.5, it felt much more squirrely in corners.

mtbr member
    As someone who went with the alu 1 over the SX and kind of regrets it, I would say go with the SX as the components are easier to upgrade. Overdrive 2 makes swapping forks a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaridge View Post
    Ok its down to Trance Advanced SX & Advanced 1...... like Shocks on SX but like groupo on 1.... comments from the peanut gallery?!!

Already purchased Ti Egg beaters and Diadora Pro 2 Shoes just need bike to put them on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pablobell View Post
    As someone who went with the alu 1 over the SX and kind of regrets it, I would say go with the SX as the components are easier to upgrade. Overdrive 2 makes swapping forks a pain.
    Just change the overpart of the headset to a regular one and you are good to go with a regular tapered fork. That's must have been done over a hundred times. I will be doing it again on my new AX29er Advanced this year. Swapping the original Fox FIT to a Fox FIT Kashima regular tapered.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Whitedog View Post
    I have the Trance 27.5 1 and a 2011 Anthem X 29er 2 (and previously a 2008 Trance X2). When first jumping on the 27.5 1 on a demo day ride, I noticed the slacker 67 deg head angle coupled with the 140mm fork feeling slower in steering than my other bikes. But since mine has the TALAS fork, dropping the travel for the climbs brought the Trance into a climbing feel similar to the other bikes. The way the T27.5 1 handled slow rocky technical climbs for me was one of the reasons I bought the bike, to me I felt better balanced and more manuverable vs. the 29er in tight sections on the same trail. Now that I've had the T27.5 1 for a couple months, the geometry is feeling more 'normal' to me, and I don't seem to use the TALAS as much, but will still engage it on the steep climbs. I've also played around with fork and shock pressure (varying a few psi) to find a good 'geometry' feel between front and rear.
    I think the Travel adjust fork helps a lot on the climb feel (and the 3 model doesn't have this feaure obviously).
    As far as the shock on climbing, I've tried all 3 CTD options, and for me they don't really affect climb 'feel' much as far as steering to me at least. I usually just leave it in Descend mode most of the time, with occasional use of Trail mode.
    Currently on an AX29 and considering one of the new "all mountain" bikes. Trance is on the short list. I'll probably wait on a demo day but any other comparisons between the two would be great. The biggest changes I'm hoping for would be generally a more playful bike. Anthem 29 is in no hurry to get off the ground. Looking for a lot easier to manual and poppier bike... Just generally more fun. The anthem is surprisingly confident on descents especially with a 120mm fork and wide bars/short stem. Anyone that can speak to the characteristics of both bikes and how they relate to one another? Oh and climbing ability, both tech/punchy and good old fireroad sweatfest climbs.

Also looking at Bronson, Process 134/153, Solo, Enduro, Camber, Sight and probably a dozen others that claim to offer similar rides.

Damn should be ridding
    ok looks like I have settled on the Advance 1. My LBS explained the SX is more relaxed and fits the riding in the Atlanta area trails better. Then it came down to 0 and the 1 or Sram vs Shimano they really showed me the difference and how Shimano has stepped up there game with a lot of little things that go a long way. In turn that increased the reliability and the cost is so much less. Now thinking about the wheels I like the new Mavic Cross Max ST he said the Max only shave off grams and I like my beer way to much for worrying about grams. in fact the cheaper wheels i have more beer $

mtbr member
    What tools do you use to get that done?

Quote Originally Posted by plupp View Post
    Just change the overpart of the headset to a regular one and you are good to go with a regular tapered fork. That's must have been done over a hundred times. I will be doing it again on my new AX29er Advanced this year. Swapping the original Fox FIT to a Fox FIT Kashima regular tapered.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jn35646 View Post
    .... The anthem is surprisingly confident on descents especially with a 120mm fork and wide bars/short stem. Anyone that can speak to the characteristics of both bikes and how they relate to one another?
    Funny you should mention the Anthem X29er with the 120mm fork and wide bars. I liked the way my new Trance 27.5 1 handled descents...and in taking the AX29 out for a spin after the 27.5 made me wish the AX29 had more front travel and a slacker head angle to feel more like the Trance. I recently installed a 120mm fork on the AX29 and really like the extra plushness of more front travel and the better confidence on descents with the effective slightly slacker head angle. I also really like the stock Trance 27.5 1 bars with their 730mm width and got a set and put on the AX29.

You'll note in my post #53 of this thread that I felt the Trance 27.5 maneuvered better than my AX29. The suspension is really good, soaks up the trail better than the AX29 (and it should due to having more travel). Fox really improved the air spring section of their forks for 2014 and the TALAS on my 27.5 1 is the best Fox fork I've ridden.

To me the 27.5 1 is quicker to react and maneuver but also more stable vs. the AX29. The slacker head angle and longer travel fork along with the more front/center design results in the 27.5 1 having about 2" more wheelbase (size XL) vs. the AX29. The longer wheelbase helps in the confidence in descents, but the bike doesn't feel longer, and actually handles tight sections/switchbacks easier (at least for me).

Fireroad and normal climbing on them is pretty close, but for granny/1 real slow in rutted rocky terrain, the extra rear suspension of the 27.5 seems to soak up stuff better and I feel better balanced too for some reason on the 27.5. This was one of the traits noticed during my demo ride that sold me on getting the bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Good stuff. Thanks

mtbr member
    Yesterday I got to take a Trance Advanced 27.5 0 out for a 42 mile 6500 foot ride which included road burns, tight twisty DH single track, long grueling fire road climbs and open gnarly DH rippers. I can honestly say this bike is a blast! It climbs like a XC race bike and descends like a fully fledged AM rig. Even on the road burns and long climbs I was able to keep up with my fast buddy on his Anthem 29er. On the DH the rear shock almost felt bottomless even when being pushed hard on some balls out trails. There would be just a couple things I would change for my personal riding style. First the contact post would be switched for the Reverb to get 5 inches of travel and second I'd switch out the 120/140 revelation 32 for for a 120/150 pike. With these 2 changes IMO you would quite possibly have one of the fastest most capable trail rippers on the market, that you could take on a 75 mile all day epic to blasting down a full on Enduro course!

I have a feeling this will be my next rig

Damn should be ridding

Good job! Deal done !!!

Ordered Trance Advance 1...now the wait Giant may ship this week may ship in a month>Cant wait to get into a Trance

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I ride one....it's gooooooood. Having a problem with the rear derailleur right now though. Keeps clicking on every couple wheel revolutions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tavm View Post
    I ride one....it's gooooooood. Having a problem with the rear derailleur right now though. Keeps clicking on every couple wheel revolutions.
    cable tension most likely? less likely, but worth checking is the check b-screw

San Miguel Beer Drinker
    Apr 2009

Prolly frozen chain link

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I am about to pull trigger on giant trance advanced sx however I read the vitalmtb review and has me rethinking my choices. I test rode a medium trance sx with same geometry as advanced and felt like i had to stretch my arms a bit. I was just going to shorten stem and replace the bars but that is not my major issue. I am concerned about when doing drops and jumps it will stretch on the derailer cable causing some issues according to vitalmtb review. This bike will be used for enduro racing and will be put to the test. I have yet to talk to my LBS about this but anyone had this issue? I don't feel like dropping that amount of cash to have to tape the cable to the frame to keep it from pulling out of the rear derailer. I am beginning to think of other options like the mach 6 for same amount of money. If anyone has had that issue chime in also just read that comment above about the rear derailer clicking. Could that be the cause?

Good, green, Oregon.
    Alright guys, and more specifically, owners of the aluminum Trance 27.5 1. I have mine on layaway (I don't do credit cards) at my LBS and I was in visiting it today and making a payment on it. I noticed something that seemed odd and wanted your opinion. Take a look at the pic:

As you may note, the rear brake line is routed externally. I asked my LBS about it and they were perplexed about it too. They said it actually came that way and that they can certainly move it in, but would have to get a different plug as it has a solid plug on the lower port. The drawback to moving it in though is that the brake line would have to get opened up and re-bled. I said not to worry about it now and maybe we can do it at the first big service. He laughed and said the SLX brakes are pretty bulletproof and rarely need bled or serviced.

So, anyone else's come like this? Thoughts? If this was yours, would you have it moved or leave it for now? Thankfully, my shop and the staff are top notch and are willing to do what I want with it. I was just curious on the general consensus and if anyone else's came this way. Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    They all come that way, with the brake line on the outside. I would have them install internally because it gives the bike a cleaner look. Ill have mine installed internally when I ugrade the brakes. I have the Trance 3.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast