mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Anyone on here got a 2002 AC-1? Also Crankset input needed please?

Feel free to post up links/pictures to your AC-1 if there are any around.

Also I know nothing about cranksets as i haven't owned a bike in 20+ years. I'm looking at lightening this bike up as much as possible and am wanting to start with the crank. What should i put on it? Brands to look for or avoid? Here's what's on it now, Race Face North Shore DH, 22/32/44 teeth. Thanks dudes/dudettes!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Buuueeellleerrrr?
    Trying to sell a GIANT ROAM 2 or trade it for a HardTail MTB. Albuquerque area only.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I still have my giant ac air- and have purchased a few higher end bikes since..... But that thing was just such a fun bike to ride! Great bike to get you back into mtn biking. Just don't throw a lot of money into it because a lot of the component standards are outdated. Lightening the stock bike will be a waste of time and money.

Have fun

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Any input on a crank?
    Trying to sell a GIANT ROAM 2 or trade it for a HardTail MTB. Albuquerque area only.

mtbr member
    Look at Shimano for cranks. SLX or XT level are the best bets for going lighter without draining your bank account. You lightening money is best spent on wheels and tires, though. You will notice the biggest difference reducing this rotational weight. Cranks rotate, too, of course, but all the weight is close to the center instead of out at the perimeter. Look at Stan's tubeless wheels, and do some tire research to find one that fits your needs.
    Ride More

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm running tubeless now. I'm not looking at a crank to lighten it exactly. I'm missing a tooth on it. I actually decided since the original post i'm just going to beat up on this bike and probably buy a frame or a new bike towards the end of October. I do want a nice crank though. I don't like buying cheap stuff and money isn't really an issue. Do i need to stick with a crank that matches the pattern i posted in the original post?

mtbr member
    Not familiar with your bike but if it has race face you can get a crank set off blue sky for cheap. Race face or Shimano SLX usually come with bottom bracket and your 3x is a standard size. Most stuff now is 9/10speed but cranks should work with 8/9/10 speed drive trains. You should be able to get a good crank set with bb for under a hundred bucks.
    Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    No clue what race face is but thanks for the tip on the website. Looks like there's some good deals on there!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Re: Anyone on here got a 2002 AC-1? Also Crankset input needed please?

Here's my setup:
    Drivetrain:
    1x10
    XT crank
    XT cassette
    XT clutch derailleur
    Slx shifter

Suspension:
    2012 Fox Van 36 160mm rc2 FIT
    Fox DHX 5.0 Pushed tuned with Titanium spring

Controls:
    Easton Havoc 35 Carbon Handlebar
    Easton Havoc 35 stem
    Avid code r brakes
    2 piece rotors
    Forte platform pedals
    Gravity dropper Seatpost
    SDG Ti seat

Wheels/Tires:
    Stands Flow EX wheel set
    Hope pro 2 EVO hubs
    Excavator tires 2.35 front 2.1 rear

Bike weights about 32-33lbs

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Nice wheels. I need something different as well, just don't know if i want to spend that much on this bike. Nice setup overall you've got going on there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Dude, you're making me want to sink some money into my ac air!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JB505 View Post
    Nice wheels. I need something different as well, just don't know if i want to spend that much on this bike. Nice setup overall you've got going on there.
    Thanks, I picked up the wheel set from Wiggle.com from the UK came out to just over 300 bucks with the hope hubs. Awesome deal and fast shipping too...Good luck with your build..

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cptjack View Post
    Dude, you're making me want to sink some money into my ac air!
    I feel ya, this is years of upgrading components ever since I've own the frame in '05. I'm pretty much satisfied how the bike is currently, if the frame ever goes at least i'll have nice components to transfer over...By the way majority of the components were bought used...