Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Anyone have a 2014 Anthem 275?

I'm looking for a fun, short travel bike that is a bit different than what I currently have. During the winter I ride a lot of flatter singletrack and my 6" bike is overkill. I use to ride a 29er HT, but it kills my back so I sold it and want to replace it with a short travel 275 or 29er bike.

I'm not looking to XC race or anything, I just want a short travel rig thats efficient and fun to ride. I'm currently looking at the Anthem 275 3 and have rode it around the parking lot, but I was hoping to hear from people some on the trail experience with the bike!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have the Anthem 275 0 model. I have been riding xc bikes for 20 years and this is hands down the best. The 3 model is good for the $$

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Just bought one last month and have only had it out on a trail once, weather has been sucking here. Coming from a 29 hardtail, bit of a difference but it's very responsive. Can't wait to get out hopefully this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Love it, have it setup as a Xc trail bike. 4 months old only complaint is the low bb height, which I have come to accept. The upside is it handles awesome. Took some getting used to from my 26" bikes. Would definitely buy again. Suspension is great. Very flickable once I got rid of the stock wheelset. I have the anthem 3

mtbr member
    I'm thinking about getting either the Anthem Advance 1 and leaving it as is, or the Anthem 3 and throwing some Stan's Crest wheels on it. I just need to figure out how much I will ride it, which will determine which model I get.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm happy with my aluminum 3 model for the most part. It's a bike that feels small and easy to throw around (A big reason why I went 27.5 over 29). The suspension obviously works well being Maestro. Feels pretty efficient too, even though I tend to run my rear shock a bit soft for comfort. The BB height is a love/hate scenario for me right now being fairly new to the bike. I love how low it makes the bike feel and the stability I get in corners, but I definitely need to relearn a few things in order to clear some obstacles without too many pedal or crank arm strikes. In most cases this is just a technique issue that I need to adapt to, and I wouldn't really fault the bike for it. The bike is pretty much well suited for me. I wanted a comfortable XC rig that didn't feel too big or like a boat and could still hold its own in short and long distance XC events. It could stand to lose a bit of weight so some new wheels and probably a 1x setup are on the quickly approaching horizon.

mtbr member
    My Stumpjumper has a 13.1" BB which is pretty low for a 150mm travel bike, but I believe the Anthem 27.5 has a 12.5 bb. The Anthem would be replacing a Rockerhopper 29er hardtail that had a bb of only 11.8", so I got pretty use to avoiding pedal strikes. I think 12.5" would make for a sweet handling bike!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    What do you mean by "flickable"? What's the difference from the stock wheelset to what you installed?

Small Lunged, Big Bellied
    Nov 2010
    I'm riding the 2014 Anthem Advanced 1 coming from a Aluminum hard tail 29er ( XTC 1 2011)

This bike is easily the best bike I've ever ridden. Maybe I've tasted the 27.5 Kool-Aid but, this thing really is a great match up to the East Coast trails I ride. Rooty, twisty single track that undulates through th woods with no extended climbs or downhills.

Also, the carbon helps too.

O2D

mtbr member
    ^ Thats exactly the type of stuff I'm looking to use the bike for. Even though my Stumpy is under 26lbs, 150mm of travel is way overkill for the trails we ride in the winter around here. It's mostly tight twisty singletrack in thick forest will minimal climbs/descents. I use to ride a 29er HT on them but my back didnt like it, and I think a short travel, low slung 27.5 might be better suited for the trails.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I rode the xt equipped and the model below that had x7/x9 (black and yellow). I forgot the model numbers. Both felt really responsive, and accelerated like my light 26 inch hard tail. They were both really quite good. I seemed to feel that the XT bike with the lighter DT Swiss wheels accelerated slightly better since the wheels were lighter, but that could have been in my head. My dealer had a set of Stans wheels in stock, I was tempted to go with the x7/x9 bike as he would have upgraded them at a small charge, but I ended up going a completely different direction. I would have been totally happy with the Anthem Advanced though. Our trails here are pretty smooth and fast, with not too many drops or stunts. I actually considered getting a Lysnkey 650b hard tail, which would have been ok here too, but I like to take a trip a year to a destination like Moab, so I went with a 120mm travel Turner Flux. If you are looking for a shorter travel 27.5 inch bike, I don't know of another option better than the Giant. 100mm is enough to get it done on all of the trails around me, but I suppose that some people like the comfort of a 120-140 mm travel bike here. If you already have a 150 mm travel bike, the 100 of the Giant is probably a good choice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Could not be more fun! Fast and light, it climbs like you want it to. My most FUN bike a 2014 Anthem Advanced 1.

mtbr member
    I almost pulled the trigger on the Anthem Advanced 1, but a little birdy hinted at a Anthem Advanced SX for 2015 that might fit my needs perfectly! If not, i will get a 2014 and throw a 130mm Pike on it.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Is what you are referring to is a "Manthum", and they are a rare beast that pushes the anthem well into the fun section. I am building one currently from an Anthem 0 frame, and cannot wait to shred it.

I am in a similar situation as you, my Trance 27.5 is the best bike I have ridden in ages, but the single track where I am is just so flat.

Anthem w/Revelation knocked to 130, short stem, 800mm bars, dropper post. "MANthum"

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Please post a ride report once you got that 130mm fork installed. Seriously contemplating putting a 120mm fox ctd on my AA1.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I definitely will. I will provide plenty of pictures too. I would imagine 1-2 weeks out. Maybe a bit longer. All depends on when the frame arrives.

I think you would like the 120mm, that is what was ridden by the few guys I have spoken to that recommended this rout to me. Gives you a stiffer front end and slackens the head angle a bit, but keeps the good geo that the Anthem has. I am really hoping this is going to give me all mountain angles with a very light, flickable, xc set up.

mtbr member
    I too am hoping for Santa Cruz 5010 like angles, but without the crap VPP suspension!

A light, flickable trail bike that is fast on XC stuff, but can handle some rough on the downhill.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    One more request to keep us all posted on the fork conversion. The more I ride my AA1 the more I love it, but the fork is definitely the weak link imo. I've got the back working perfectly, tires sorted out, and the fork marginal but acceptable when I run it on descend mode. Slightly relaxed #'s and better travel would be the perfect addition.
    '14 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5"
    '11 Giant Anthem X1 29er
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Mr. Lynch: I couldn't agree more. And Mark16q: I have been running the Revelation on my Trance Adv. 0 and it's one of the best I have ridden. Rode Fox on my previous bikes. That bike is getting a pike, so it it rides how I think it's going to ride. Expect epicness.

As much as I hate to throw weight on the front, I think I might even roll a 2.25 Trail tire on the front. Might run me a an extra 200-300 grams up front, but will make the downhills much more fun. I already run pinner tires on the rear anyway. If you haven't seen them, the BeeLine from WTB is amazing for the rear.

mtbr member
    Manthem, that's great, glad I have a name for mine when I finally throw a 120mm up front.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Frame came in yesterday, I would imagine it get's built up by the weekend. If not, by next weekend for sure. Will keep everyone posted on build, weights, and how it rides. I am hoping sub 23lbs with a proper front tire. But we will see.

mtbr member
    what tires did you decide on?
    I think i will go with a Hans Dampf 2.25 front and a Nobby Nic 2.25 rear when conditions are soft (9 months of the year) and switch to Nobby Nic front, Rock Razor rear for the summer.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Manthem?! Yes! I look forward to seeing pics and details of this bigger fork. I have an Anthem Advanced 1 27.5 and was going to go to a 120mm fork but feel like a 130 would make me happier, Im just concerned about the frame taking it. I run a 1x system with big 2.35 Hans Dampfs and solid nukeproof rims as the riding here is very rocky and rooty. Ive figured a 120mm fork would give me about 68.5* HA and a 130mm would give about 68* with only about .25-.5 inch increase in the wheel base leaving it still very agile. Considering either a 120mm SID/Reba or maybe one of the shiny new Manitou Marvels or Minutes if I can figure out if Manitou is still crap or not. I'm done with the expensive, maintenance requiring Fox stuff I think. Keep us posted!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    So it looks like it will be another weed until the build is complete. Going to wait for a few more extras to come in. warmerdamj: Don't forget about the revelation. Stiff, light, and rides amazing. This should build up exactly how the Trance Adv. 0 is built swapped out with Enve DH bars and a larger disc up front. I am even going to swap the wheels over. Tires, I am a WTB guy. BeeLine in the back, Vigilante in the front. It's a bit slow rolling and heavy, so when I am racing XC I will mellow the tire out up front. You really should try out that BeeLine. One of the best rear tires I have ever ridden, at least here in the desert. Getting antsy for sure. Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Yes I have considered the Revelation but then I definitely have to go to 130mm and I'm still concerned it might be too much (you're the guinea pig lol). Up front I have a 70mm Easton Haven Stem, zero rise over 1 1/4" of headset spacers with 750mmx20mm rise carbon Nukeproof bars (trails here won't allow wider, I actually got stuck the other day between two trees). Been considering 2.25" tires though, at least for the rear when I burn through these as they are a bit slow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast