mtbr member
    Apr 2008

anyone with feed back on giant xtc alliance?

like that title says. I am looking for an xc race rig and thought the alliance was the rig to buy

If anyone has any input on that bike please let me know, anything will be helpfull

Thanks
    Michael

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    After more time on mine as well as riding other bikes I really like it. I am not an advanced rider by any means, so this all means nothing. I at first did not like the fork, but I had to send it in for a warranty issue and am now using a Fox Vanilla that is a couple years old, and the Marchozi is much better. Someone else on here has the Alliance as well and got a Reba for it I think.

Right out of the box I swapped out shifters and rear derailuer. The bike seems to handle pretty well, though I am still trying to dial in some of my own imperfections, i.e cornering. I would recomend the bike to anyone, but if you want one better do it quick, last time I checked there were not many left to be had, and from what I hear around these parts is there will not be a new one next year.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I just rode one, and I'm thinking of buying it. Stock w/ pedals the bike weighs 27.4 pounds on the scale at the store (16'' size), if that matters to you.

I compared the Alliance w/ the XTC 1 and the Alliance has a more forgiving ride, so the the carbon really does its job. Compared to a steel bike--Jamis Dragon Comp--I found that the Alliance was more comfortable than the Dragon also, but not by a lot. The Alliance is quick and pretty nimble compared to the Dragon (to be fair, the Dragon was a little big on me (17'' size)).

I'd like to hear from anyone who has had an Alliance for an extended period.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jaja
    I just rode one, and I'm thinking of buying it. Stock w/ pedals the bike weighs 27.4 pounds on the scale at the store (16'' size), if that matters to you.

I compared the Alliance w/ the XTC 1 and the Alliance has a more forgiving ride, so the the carbon really does its job. Compared to a steel bike--Jamis Dragon Comp--I found that the Alliance was more comfortable than the Dragon also, but not by a lot. The Alliance is quick and pretty nimble compared to the Dragon (to be fair, the Dragon was a little big on me (17'' size)).

I'd like to hear from anyone who has had an Alliance for an extended period.
    Where did you test ride the Dragon? What city and state?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    University Cyclery in Austin, Texas.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've been riding an XTC hybrid for 3 years now. Granted it is the previous generation but I could only expect the new one to be better. I have it converted to a single speed and have now been racing it for two years. I love it. It is stiff and responsive but bhe carbon rear end really does take the edge off compared to alum bikes I've ridden before. I weigh 180 and have really abused the thing. It takes it and just keeps going. Hope that helps

John

mtbr member
    I love my XTC Alliance

Its a large 20"

Right now its all stock except for a Reba Race fork.. Saves almost 1.5 lbs over the Marz it came with stock.

Rides awesome, no complaints on the components at all.

Gonna swap some stuff out later once I am out of school, lighten her up a bit.

All in all, for the money, awesome looking and performing bike. Happy trails!
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I picked up my XTC Alliance today and took it for a quick ride on the Barton Creek Greenbelt. Keep in mind that my points of comparison are mid-90s steel hardtails w/ rigid and suspended forks. Having said that, the Alliance is as quick handling as I originally noted. The BCG is a mix of hardpack and gnarly rock gardens. The shock works well enough to get over the nasty stuff, and the frame is stable and sure-footed to keep you on track. Turns and corrections were no problem, very quick even uphill over big rocks. the bike also accelerates really well. I'll post a thorough review after a few months of riding it.