mtbr member

Anyone done the 12x142 conversion on their new Anthem?

My wheelset will run either way, I'll call my LBS Monday and see about ordering it and the price, but I thought I read online in early reviews that the bike came with the parts to convert it?
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Anyone done the 12x142 conversion on their new Anthem?

I asked the lbs to order it but haven't heard anything.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I have the new Trance and heard from my lbs the adapters for the frame will not be available until mid November.

Your Best Friend
    The adapters for the frame come with the bike. If your LBS tells you they don't have them, get a new LBS.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    The adapters for the frame come with the bike. If your LBS tells you they don't have them, get a new LBS.
    Nice!
    I am waiting for an Anthem 2014, so it should be included in that as well.
    Is it possible to find more info about the kit?
    What are the changes on the frame?

Your Best Friend
    Different drop outs with two different adapters. the 135 is set up on the bike already.

mtbr member
    Thanks man!

mtbr member
    Follow-up....

I spoke with the owner of the LBS I bought the bike and he said they definitely did NOT come with the bike. He was going to check with his Giant rep I believe and I'll update if he is told otherwise but it appears they have to order them from Giant.

So if they don't deliver from Giant with the bikes and they aren't stocked at the dealer than I'm inclined to think they do NOT come with the bike. Its possible your dealer may automatically supply them with their builds but since there is no way to get a clear answer from Giant as there would be with Trek or Specialized we only have the dealers to go by.

On another note I searched the Giant site for e-mail or phone contact info for questions and found nothing, am I looking in the wrong spot or do they really not want any contact with buyers, and only want everything to go through their dealers?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Never known of any contact info for giant released to the public. Everything has to go through the dealer.

mtbr member
    Crazy but I guess a good measure of cost control. It works perfectly assuming that all of your dealers have been well trained on the current product line and are able to handle the info. My experience is that every time I've had a specific question I couldn't figure out the dealer didn't know either and I was always able to get the info from Specialized or Niner, etc.
    So far I've gotten input from 3 different Giant retailers on a particular question when I was shopping for the anthem and all 3 had a different answer so.....

mtbr member
    OK, to close this issue, this is official from a Giant Retail Concept store owner.

The bike does NOT come with the conversion parts. Early runs models had a few of them incidentally thrown in on those early bikes but they are out of the parts for a month or so. These can be ordered but are currently not in stock with Giant, and are not free with purchase of the bike.

If your LBS makes the decision to include them that's their call but not official from Giant and it comes out of their pocket.

From what I could find it appears the drop out components are about $25 and whatever axle you decide to use on top of that. I'll likely get the DT Swiss model myself.

Your Best Friend
    Interesting. Every one of our 2014 Giants with convertable drop outs came with them. We have a whole box.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Interesting. Every one of our 2014 Giants with convertable drop outs came with them. We have a whole box.
    So you didn't give them to the customer?
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    If you convert do you need a new wheel hub or do you remove the hub reducers?

mtbr member
    Don't know about the giant wheelset, I never checked it before I sold them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hmm,
    We have just had our first 27.5 Trance in our shop in the UK.It came fitted with 12 x 142 as standard.
    No conversion kit to standard q/r in the box,just a spare dropout.
    Thanx,
    Max

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I presume this does not apply to 2013 models? The 2014 must have different (modular?) drop-outs?

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Clink View Post
    I presume this does not apply to 2013 models? The 2014 must have different (modular?) drop-outs?
    You are correct. 12x142 is marketing hype when applied to the maestro BTW. Don't worry about it. Think of it this way...12x142 is designed solely to add stiffness to the rear triangle. Now picture the maestro rear triangle. One welded piece without any pivots/linkages. Large aluminum or carbon tubes. There isn't any flex in this triangle, especially when you put ANY axle between the only open spot in the rear triangle. The only reason you'd want a 12x142 is if you already owned a wheelset with that axle.

mtbr member
    Good point Silentfoe, and the 12x142 may be heavier anyway.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MAX LLOYD View Post
    Hmm,
    We have just had our first 27.5 Trance in our shop in the UK.It came fitted with 12 x 142 as standard.
    No conversion kit to standard q/r in the box,just a spare dropout.
    Thanx,
    Max
    Max,

Was the included 142 axle a DT Swiss model with the flat washer?

The reason I ask is that my Anthem 27.5 frame set came with the conversion kit but no thru axle. I ordered a dt Swiss axle (which is what the giant website said was spec) and the threads didn't match on the nut in the conversion kit. I'm waiting on a response from Giant. Hopefully they just sent the wrong nut with the frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBinRIC View Post
    Max,

Was the included 142 axle a DT Swiss model with the flat washer?

The reason I ask is that my Anthem 27.5 frame set came with the conversion kit but no thru axle. I ordered a dt Swiss axle (which is what the giant website said was spec) and the threads didn't match on the nut in the conversion kit. I'm waiting on a response from Giant. Hopefully they just sent the wrong nut with the frame.
    Hi,
    I believe it was a generic through axle and not a DT Swiss.
    We have the two basic model Trance's.
    I will double check when back in work Monday.
    Thanx ,
    Max

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MAX LLOYD View Post
    Hi,
    I believe it was a generic through axle and not a DT Swiss.
    We have the two basic model Trance's.
    I will double check when back in work Monday.
    Thanx ,
    Max
    Spoke with Giant and you are right Max. The 142 axle is not a dt Swiss. The website is incorrect. The giant axle has a different thread pitch. Must use a giant axle to fit the convertible dropouts from giant.