Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Anyone done the 12x142 conversion on their new Anthem?

My wheelset will run either way, I'll call my LBS Monday and see about ordering it and the price, but I thought I read online in early reviews that the bike came with the parts to convert it?
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Anyone done the 12x142 conversion on their new Anthem?

I asked the lbs to order it but haven't heard anything.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I have the new Trance and heard from my lbs the adapters for the frame will not be available until mid November.

Your Best Friend
    The adapters for the frame come with the bike. If your LBS tells you they don't have them, get a new LBS.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    The adapters for the frame come with the bike. If your LBS tells you they don't have them, get a new LBS.
    Nice!
    I am waiting for an Anthem 2014, so it should be included in that as well.
    Is it possible to find more info about the kit?
    What are the changes on the frame?

Your Best Friend
    Different drop outs with two different adapters. the 135 is set up on the bike already.

mtbr member
    Thanks man!

mtbr member
    Follow-up....

I spoke with the owner of the LBS I bought the bike and he said they definitely did NOT come with the bike. He was going to check with his Giant rep I believe and I'll update if he is told otherwise but it appears they have to order them from Giant.

So if they don't deliver from Giant with the bikes and they aren't stocked at the dealer than I'm inclined to think they do NOT come with the bike. Its possible your dealer may automatically supply them with their builds but since there is no way to get a clear answer from Giant as there would be with Trek or Specialized we only have the dealers to go by.

On another note I searched the Giant site for e-mail or phone contact info for questions and found nothing, am I looking in the wrong spot or do they really not want any contact with buyers, and only want everything to go through their dealers?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Never known of any contact info for giant released to the public. Everything has to go through the dealer.

mtbr member
    Crazy but I guess a good measure of cost control. It works perfectly assuming that all of your dealers have been well trained on the current product line and are able to handle the info. My experience is that every time I've had a specific question I couldn't figure out the dealer didn't know either and I was always able to get the info from Specialized or Niner, etc.
    So far I've gotten input from 3 different Giant retailers on a particular question when I was shopping for the anthem and all 3 had a different answer so.....

mtbr member
    OK, to close this issue, this is official from a Giant Retail Concept store owner.

The bike does NOT come with the conversion parts. Early runs models had a few of them incidentally thrown in on those early bikes but they are out of the parts for a month or so. These can be ordered but are currently not in stock with Giant, and are not free with purchase of the bike.

If your LBS makes the decision to include them that's their call but not official from Giant and it comes out of their pocket.

From what I could find it appears the drop out components are about $25 and whatever axle you decide to use on top of that. I'll likely get the DT Swiss model myself.

Your Best Friend
    Interesting. Every one of our 2014 Giants with convertable drop outs came with them. We have a whole box.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Interesting. Every one of our 2014 Giants with convertable drop outs came with them. We have a whole box.
    So you didn't give them to the customer?
    Tantrum incoming
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    If you convert do you need a new wheel hub or do you remove the hub reducers?

mtbr member
    Don't know about the giant wheelset, I never checked it before I sold them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hmm,
    We have just had our first 27.5 Trance in our shop in the UK.It came fitted with 12 x 142 as standard.
    No conversion kit to standard q/r in the box,just a spare dropout.
    Thanx,
    Max

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I presume this does not apply to 2013 models? The 2014 must have different (modular?) drop-outs?

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Clink View Post
    I presume this does not apply to 2013 models? The 2014 must have different (modular?) drop-outs?
    You are correct. 12x142 is marketing hype when applied to the maestro BTW. Don't worry about it. Think of it this way...12x142 is designed solely to add stiffness to the rear triangle. Now picture the maestro rear triangle. One welded piece without any pivots/linkages. Large aluminum or carbon tubes. There isn't any flex in this triangle, especially when you put ANY axle between the only open spot in the rear triangle. The only reason you'd want a 12x142 is if you already owned a wheelset with that axle.

mtbr member
    Good point Silentfoe, and the 12x142 may be heavier anyway.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MAX LLOYD View Post
    Hmm,
    We have just had our first 27.5 Trance in our shop in the UK.It came fitted with 12 x 142 as standard.
    No conversion kit to standard q/r in the box,just a spare dropout.
    Thanx,
    Max
    Max,

Was the included 142 axle a DT Swiss model with the flat washer?

The reason I ask is that my Anthem 27.5 frame set came with the conversion kit but no thru axle. I ordered a dt Swiss axle (which is what the giant website said was spec) and the threads didn't match on the nut in the conversion kit. I'm waiting on a response from Giant. Hopefully they just sent the wrong nut with the frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBinRIC View Post
    Max,

Was the included 142 axle a DT Swiss model with the flat washer?

The reason I ask is that my Anthem 27.5 frame set came with the conversion kit but no thru axle. I ordered a dt Swiss axle (which is what the giant website said was spec) and the threads didn't match on the nut in the conversion kit. I'm waiting on a response from Giant. Hopefully they just sent the wrong nut with the frame.
    Hi,
    I believe it was a generic through axle and not a DT Swiss.
    We have the two basic model Trance's.
    I will double check when back in work Monday.
    Thanx ,
    Max

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MAX LLOYD View Post
    Hi,
    I believe it was a generic through axle and not a DT Swiss.
    We have the two basic model Trance's.
    I will double check when back in work Monday.
    Thanx ,
    Max
    Spoke with Giant and you are right Max. The 142 axle is not a dt Swiss. The website is incorrect. The giant axle has a different thread pitch. Must use a giant axle to fit the convertible dropouts from giant.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBinRIC View Post
    . . . The giant axle has a different thread pitch. Must use a giant axle to fit the convertible dropouts from giant.
    Seriously?! Is this just to make $$ selling conversion kits, or is there a possible technical reason for this?

thecentralscrutinizer
    Quote Originally Posted by tuvok View Post
    Seriously?! Is this just to make $$ selling conversion kits, or is there a possible technical reason for this?
    The thead is more coarse than a standard DT Swiss axle...My guess is it's a $$$$ thing.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    where can I get the conversion kit to 12x142? Bought an anthem used but want to switch to 12x142 that I have in another wheelset.

because GIANT
    ^giant dealer can order one

mtbr member
    Talked to my dealer this weekend about ordering this. They said January 2015.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Ok Guys, As I work as the mechanic at one of the concept stores over here in the UK, here's the definitive lowdown:

The bikes that come as QR as standard do not come with conversion kits in the box they are sold separately. They do however come with a spare hanger (the same as the one already fitted) included in the box.

The same applies for the bikes that come with 142x12 as standard, they will not come with a conversion kit, however they will come with a spare hanger that matches the one already fitted.

You can order the following kits from Giant dealers with these part numbers:

QR - 1280GS834609A1
    Name:  image_975_4_5637387406.jpg
Views: 3733
Size:  9.8 KB
    142x12 - 1280GS834609B1
    Name:  image_975_4_5637387407.jpg
Views: 4773
Size:  11.8 KB

The 142x12 axle that comes on the bikes is a specifically designed one made for Giant by DT Swiss. It uses a DT Swiss RWS style axle, but the thread is different. It uses the same thread that is found on a Shimano 142x12 axle.

You are unable to use a DT Swiss axle as the threads are different, and the other end of the axle is cone shaped, not flat.

You can in theory use a Shimano axle, however:

The Shimano axles use a nut on the end which is free to move - so that you can adjust where the thread starts - which means that you can place the lever (once closed) in any direction you like. Because the Giant design uses a thread that is attached to the frame, you cannot adjust where the thread starts, therefore when the lever is closed it may foul the chain/seatstay or the brake mount.

The DT Swiss axle uses their RWS design, meaning you can pull the lever out (even when the axle is tight) and adjust the finishing position of the lever.

You can use the Shimano axle as the threads will fit, but it's pot luck whether the lever will foul the frame or not. Your best bet is to order the specific axle which uses the part number: 1529-GDTRWS-402

Anyone done the 12x142 conversion on their new Anthem?-image_975_4_5637395685.jpg

Also, for those of you that may wish to order the QR skewer to go along with your QR dropouts the part number is: 1529-GDTRWS-403

Anyone done the 12x142 conversion on their new Anthem?-image_975_4_5637383445.jpg

This should probably tell you everything you need to know but if you have any other questions please ask.

(What a hell of a first post eh?)

thecentralscrutinizer
    LBS Giant dealer is where I got mine...Got REAL LUCKY because they had it in stock.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MaestroMaster View Post

(What a hell of a first post eh?)
    Excellent post, this answers a lot of questions that even some dealers have trouble addressing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I got a Shimano axle (1.75mm thread pitch) to complete my conversion. A washer or two between the axle cam and the frame allows you to tune the closed position of the lever.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Cymohn View Post
    I got a Shimano axle (1.75mm thread pitch) to complete my conversion. A washer or two between the axle cam and the frame allows you to tune the closed position of the lever.
    Now that is a good idea.

because GIANT
    Just now picked up my conversion for Giant XTC advanced 2015
    -----

bike shipped as 135

obtained:

-dropout pieces x 3 plus screws
    -hub inserts
    -DT skewer specific for Giant!!! The Giant dropouts don't use 'common threading' it is a coarser thread pitch

anyhow I got the pieces and yes Giant uses a thread pitch specific to them, not the usual pitch

EDIT: based on the post below mine, then it is not a specific thread. Note however, in the land of 12x142, it is the coarse thread pitch not a fine pitch.
    Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 10-21-2014 at 07:19 AM.

mtbr member
    hello everyone , i did the conversion in a xtc adv 3 , i bought the dropout in sos hanger, and the axle in chain reaction. i boght a DT Swiss E-thru axle and works perfect , is not a specific axle.
    here the links
    #GS8346 142x12mm complete kit GIANT - SOS Hanger
    DT Swiss RWS E-Thru Alloy | Chain Reaction Cycles

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by KBzon View Post
    hello everyone , i did the conversion in a xtc adv 3 , i bought the dropout in sos hanger, and the axle in chain reaction. i boght a DT Swiss E-thru axle and works perfect , is not a specific axle.
    Looks like the E-Thru axle is slightly different do the other DT Swiss axles we've seen so far. Great to know! This gives us another option. We'll order one in and double check to confirm.

Thanks for the info!

Rocks belong
    Stumbled across this thread... I think I have a few spare parts if they can help anyone.

Qty: 1, Giant hanger
    Qty: 4, 12x142 Giant hanger

Anyone done the 12x142 conversion on their new Anthem?-fullsizerender.jpgAnyone done the 12x142 conversion on their new Anthem?-qr-giant-hanger.jpg
    I like 'em low, long, slack and playful

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm confused here...Does the Giant branded skewer ratchet so you can index the position of the lever once tight or not? or does if fall wherever the threads finish???

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMac View Post
    I'm confused here...Does the Giant branded skewer ratchet so you can index the position of the lever once tight or not? or does if fall wherever the threads finish???
    It ratchets.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Mine seems to be stuck...the lever doesnt pop out like my buddy who has the QR version installed in his trance. Are the 12x142 heads know to stick?

Your Best Friend
    Nope. You have a bad skewer.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    shit!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by madsedan View Post
    My wheelset will run either way, I'll call my LBS Monday and see about ordering it and the price, but I thought I read online in early reviews that the bike came with the parts to convert it?
    Only the Advanced models come with the 142x12 conversion kit. The alloy frames and bikes do not.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    The alloy frames and bikes do not.
    Complete bikes, no. Frames, yes.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    May 2009
    no worries....my skewer wasnt broken just stuck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Hi MaestroMaster. Can you help. I'm trying to attach a pannier rack to my Anthem 2 (heresy, I know!) by using a skewer-mounted rack. I've found a rack whose mounts would fit but the DT Swiss system doesn't allow me to do this at the non-handle end, without unscrewing the screw which holds the derailleur dropout: and also the fixing into which the DT Swiss screws, gets in the way. Can you advise any way round this?

Your Best Friend
    So you want to attach it at the axles and where else?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    To the seat stays, just behind the pivot, using P-clips and rods

Your Best Friend
    And when the suspension cycles through, the rack will hit the seat post?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    And when the suspension cycles through, the rack will hit the seat post?

You obviously think I'm a cretin... How about coming up with some useful suggestions instead of snide remarks?

Your Best Friend
    Seriously? I'm trying to figure out how a rear pannier rack, attached to a rear triangle, on a full suspension bicycle, will actually work. Please talk me through it. Just curious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast