Too easily annoyed.

Anyone 5-11 and up riding a medium Trance X?

Like everyone else my size, I am waiting for Giant to make a size M/L mountain bike. Until then, is there anyone out there riding a size Medium, who is 5-11 or taller? I am 5-11 with shoes, and have a 74" wingspan, 32.5" inseam. My main concern with the medium is I am going to have to get a 110mm + stem to not feel cramped, and I don't enjoy that "going over the bars" feeling long stems can give on downhills.

The other concern is the Large being too big, with it's 32.2 stand-over.

Parking lot test rides have shown me very little - other than I have a lot of seatpost showing on the (M) and not much stand-over room on the (L).

What is the consensus?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    6ft tall - 32" inside leg ......trance X0 in medium! Standard stem and seatpost - lots of adjustment avaliable.

5ft 11", you need a medium I would have thought mate!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    dont worry about standover. its a useless measurement.. the top tube is what counts. you're so much better off on a bike that fits your reach than one you can arbitrarily stand over.

if you feel comfortable on a large, get it and never worry for a second about standover.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    double post.

Kind of a big deal
    I'm 5'10 and rockin a medium X2, and find that there's still room for more play. I don't find it to be smallish in the slightest so with an inch taller you should be fine imo.

mtbr member
    I demoed a Medium Trance X, although I'm 6'1".

It was fine for just cruising along. It handled really well in general riding. When it came to the technical stuff, I felt cramped in the cockpit. A longer stem would have helped.

mtbr member
    I have a trance x2 and I am about 5' 11" 32-33 inseam long arms. When I demoed the bike at my lbs I also felt a little cramped, but they flipped the stem for me and that made it much better. Two months later and I still wanted to have a more stretched cockpit. So I removed the conical cover for the headset and the stem spacers. (and put my stem right side up) What a diffrence.

mtbr member
    I am 5'11 and I ride a L. It fits great, see if you can demo one rather than just a parking lot ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm 5'11" w/ relatively short legs and long torso. The stock medium was way too cramped in the top tube for me. I tried a set back seat post and a 120mm stem and it felt pretty good. I then demoed the large and it was no brainer. The large fit perfect. I have dropped the stem somewhat using the spacers. Standover height has not been a problem. I think you need to demo both the M and L for yourself and see what fits.
    -Mike