mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Anybody running a 1X10 on a Trance X?

Anybody running a single chainring on your Trance X?
    What chainguide are you running? crankset?
    Did this to my 2010 Specialized Enduro and just freaking love it..so thought I would try it on my 2008 Trance X2...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yes, 2011 X3, e13 XCX guide, Hope CR and stock Deore crank arms. Spot on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I also have a 2011 x3, just went 1 x 10 last night actually. stock middle ring and cranks with a bbg bashguard. i'm researching chain guides now but i'm still on the fence. i haven't dropped a chain yet. i never used the large ring and went 2 x 10 a few months ago. since i moved to texas from ct, i haven't used the small ring. i might just order another bbg and make a chain sandwich, if that's possible.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have a MRP 1X on my Enduro and a 34t chainring...I wondered if you can use the MRP bottom bracket mount or if you would have to use the seat tube mount?
    I am going to see if my stock Race Face cranks will adapt to that so I can just use the middle ring and drop the big and little off...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    you can def. convert your race face cranks, same bcd as shimano. I went with a 34T because thats the largest crc had in stock when I ordered, I found myself spinning out last nite. If I had it to do over again I would go 36 or 38T.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Just swopped to 1x10 on my 2008 X2 and loving it. Went X0 carbon crank, removed the spider and direct mounted a homebrew 32t chain ring. The real trick was the XT shadow plus RD, this is awesome, silent operation and......no need for chain retention. Did not believe it until I tried it, bought MRP guide but have not needed to fit it. Have ridden 100 miles so far on rocky and rooty NC trails without a single dropped chain. If you are budget constrained like me there are a lot of people stripping down 10spd drivetrains from new bikes, I got the shadow plus, 11-36 cassette, slx shifters and chain for $100, the used xo cranks were also $100, score!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    One of the new gen derailleurs is high on my want list, the xx1 system appears to be the ultimate setup with its custon CR and chain profile but I will probably opt for just a X.0. rear D, its encourageing to hear of your sucess with out a chain keeper Steve.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    All my bikes are 1 x 9 or 10. I think my TX is 1 x 9. I use n gear jump stops and 32 tooth bbg bash guards. I used to use thirteen gaurds but this set up has less alignment hassles and is tidier. I run from 27t to 29t inner rings depending on wheelsize.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    2009 X-1. Installed a MRP G2 SL mini bb mount. 32t ring with 34t 1x9 drivetrain. Still running the stock Raceface Dues cranks, had to grind down the granny ring tabs. Anybody running a 1X10 on a Trance X?-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

1x10

Here's a picture of my 1x10 set up. Kinda hard to believe but I have not dropped a chain since going to this. Crank is XO with homebrew 32T chainring
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody running a 1X10 on a Trance X?-photo-25.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have an MRP G2 SL Mini with ISG adaptor and 32T E13 ring on my 09 Anthem X-2 and love it. It required an extra 1.5 mm or 2mm spacer on the crank shaft to centre the chain in the guide. I just filed the top ISG bolt and tab back slightly to get some clearance to the maestro link. I went with the ISG version and adaptor for ease of reinstalling if it takes a big hit an spins around the BB (I imagine it would be hard to torque the BB at keep the guide in the right place at the same time). Secondly it can be re-mounted onto a bike with ISG tabs if I by one in the future.

Anybody running a 1X10 on a Trance X?-img_0794.jpg

Anybody running a 1X10 on a Trance X?-img_0796.jpg

From the top looking down onto the lower link
    Anybody running a 1X10 on a Trance X?-img_0787.jpg

From the front-looking back to the BB
    Anybody running a 1X10 on a Trance X?-img_0798.jpg

sorry some are upside down. Tried re-attaching the pics but still the same result
    Last edited by Bluman8; 11-06-2012 at 12:29 AM.

wheelie king
    I used to run 1x10 on my TX. MRP 1X and RaceFace 32 ring on old Stylo cranks. Worked great.

[IMG]
    From bike stuff
    [/IMG]

mtbr member
    mrp bling ring
    sram x.9 cranks
    sram x.9 type II rear mech
    sram x.9 rear shifter

i was running an xcx guide but have actually removed it after installing the type II rear mech. so far so good, haven't dropped the chain and even quieter than before in rocky AZ.

Sep 2008
    Rocky technical east coast AM - 2011 Trance X frameset
    MRP bling ring
    X.9 cranks
    X.9 rear mech [not the fancy new one like 'size's]
    X.9 shifter
    E.13 XCX - dayum that thing was expensive, never again, never again. Got impatient tho.

Rides really well. Can pedal up steep climbs still - went 32 up front with 11-36 10spd in rear. Simple, I like. Need to rig up a bottom roller as the chain does come off the bottom of the ring if I come close to bottoming on drops/jumps.

DO NOT order Homebrewed Components. Didn't check the recent forums on him when I went to buy. Ordered one as I knew he used to be good. Not so good these days. Guy took my money. MRP for the win.

mtbr member
    I am about to go 1 x 10 with one of these: Widgit | Get the MTB chainring that will turn your ride into a lightweight mountain bike.

Light weight, no need for another chain guide. Blingy red available to match my 11TX1

Went for a 32 but have a nagging doubt I should have gone 34. Time will tell...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodpuddle View Post
    I am about to go 1 x 10 with one of these: Widgit | Get the MTB chainring that will turn your ride into a lightweight mountain bike.

Light weight, no need for another chain guide. Blingy red available to match my 11TX1

Went for a 32 but have a nagging doubt I should have gone 34. Time will tell...
    Let me know when you get this, I'm interested in it myself. Would like to hear some feedback.
    14 S-Works Epic WC
    14 Yeti ARC
    14 S-Works Crux Disc
    15 Echo Big Deal

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I used to ride a 30T widget, its how I started out with a 1x9 setup. The widget is great its light, good ground clearance, very simple, never dropped a chain and I loved it. However, I have 2 warnings:

1. "it is light" I bent both and ring and all the guides on when I slipped off a log ride.
    2. Be careful on really wet and muddy rides in autumn or where long grass gets dragged into your drive chain. The mud+leaves+grass pack down between the guides creating chain suck and preventing the chain from sliding onto the tooth completely and eventually lifting the chain out of the guides. Just give it a quick squirt with some water every now and then on muddy rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by irishpitbull View Post
    Let me know when you get this, I'm interested in it myself. Would like to hear some feedback.
    Will do. It's going on tomorrow, and first ride on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluman8 View Post
    However, I have 2 warnings:

1. "it is light" I bent both and ring and all the guides on when I slipped off a log ride.
    2. Be careful on really wet and muddy rides in autumn or where long grass gets dragged into your drive chain. The mud+leaves+grass pack down between the guides creating chain suck and preventing the chain from sliding onto the tooth completely and eventually lifting the chain out of the guides. Just give it a quick squirt with some water every now and then on muddy rides.
    Thanks for the heads up. I have a history of destroying gear, so could be an issue...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by irishpitbull View Post
    Went out for my first ride on the new Widgit setup, and was really happy with it.

I know blokes are supposed to be rubbish at multi-tasking, but I never realised that thinking about chainring selection was actually using any processing power. Seems it was, because the whole ride felt so refreshingly simple.

The trail was a reasonably technical XC trail (manly dam for those who've been to Sydney) with plenty of rock steps, lumpy roll downs and water bar jumps. Drivetrain was totally quiet and chain stayed nicely in place.

Happy with gearing so far- 32t onto 11-36 - but I know I'll miss the big dog on fire trail rides. For general trail riding, I think this is going to work well.

So far so good.
    Last edited by bloodpuddle; 12-05-2012 at 04:01 AM.