mtbr member

Anybody had both a Trance X and a Stumpjumper

I've got a 06 SJ, but I'm not happy with it, and I'm considering a Trance X. My main problems with the SJ are it's tendency to squat while climbing, it's a little twitchy (lateral stiffness) on the downhills, and the linkage bushings won't last for sh!te.

Has anyone had both, that could compare the ride qualities for me?

I need a bike that climbs steep and rough stuff great, and can handle technical, rough downhills with the occasional 2' drop. I weigh about 230.

Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Youíve come to the right place, I was the proud (or not in my case) owner of the 07 Stumpy Comp.

What I can say is the Trance Xís Maestro suspension is always active when climbing and Iíve never noticed it squat. However I did notice some serious flexing when you really put the power down on the Stumpy which you donít get on the Trance X, it just kicks forward with no waggle. I havenít ridden it enough in really bad conditions to tell whether the pivots last, theyíre a big improvement from the old Trance, in fact Giant thinks theyíre so good they took the dust covers off to save weight.

As for uphill performance it is a lot faster than the Stumpy with the TXís steeper angles and a forward riding position and better pedalling suspension. Itís also great on the down hill sections with very plush, responsive suspension, the Maestro suspension feels like it has a lot more travel than it does and works better through its travel, it also feel s a lot more responsive than the Stumpy.
    [/SIZE]

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    I had a 08 Stumpjumper FSR Elite and Trance X...rode them in parallel for a while until I decided to sell the Stumpy.

before those two bikes I had been on IH dw*link bike for a few years...so I had come accustom to bikes that are pretty damn efficient.

Things about the stumpy I didn't like

1) Flex. like EGF mentioned...you can easily feel the back end twist when hitting corners hard.
    2) Pedaling efficiency. Unless you use pro-pedal or the lockout (which I hate using) the Stumpy doesn't pedal that great. There's a lot of loss of energy (squat) when putting the power down - most noticeable when you have to grind long climbs. Compared to my dw*link bikes (and Maestro now) the Stumpy (and so did the Enduro which I owned for a few months) falls short.
    3) FSR. Contrary to what Specialized markets - the Stumpy has a forward axle path and I don't like that since it doesn't deal so well with square edge hits. Feels like the rear wheel is "catching" or "getting hooked" on stuff when trying to flow over a rough section. Dw*link, Maestro and VPP works better in that respect.
    4) Noise..no matter what I did, I can't get the bike to be quiet. The "squeak" was forcing me to ride with an iPod...

This is just my personal opinion...I'm not saying the Stumpy is a bad bike, but just that there are better ones out there that suites me more...just like the Trance X

mtbr member

Thanks

for the replies amigos. Have either of you noticed anything that you don't like about the Trance X?

Acadian - do you prefer the maestro to the dw-link?

Are there any down sides to the maestro (bob, kickback, ramp-up, etc.) ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d365
    for the replies amigos. Have either of you noticed anything that you don't like about the Trance X?

Acadian - do you prefer the maestro to the dw-link?

Are there any down sides to the maestro (bob, kickback, ramp-up, etc.) ?
    Well the bars come too high but they can easily be moved right down to headset height and even flip the stem so donít let that put you off and mud clearance is a bit tight at the back.

Other than that I feel itís perfect!