mtbr member

Anybody choose a Giant Anthem X over a Trek Superfly 100?

Just like the title says, did anybody choose a Giant Anthem X 29er over a Trek Superfly 100 recently?

Going into town this weekend to look at both bikes and wanted to know your thoughts as to why you decided on one over the other? Can't rent a bike this weekend, but will test them in the parking lots, which really doesnt do much. I dont race, but I ride singletrack with a mix of XC and rocky/techy trails. Ride a Fuel EX right now, but likely going to give that to my brother and pick up a 29er 4" bike for the climbing/speed advantages. Thought about a new Trance 29er, as they look nice and plush, but really want something lighter/quicker.

The models I will be looking at will be the SF 100 AL Elite vs. the Giant Anthem X 29er 1. (Posted this in Trek forum too, to get both sides, and more opinions)

Thanks!

SoCal Rider
    Apr 2008
    Don't own one yet, but I chose the Anthem X 29er (I demo'd one earlier this year) over the Superfly, which my friend owns. I rode his bike out on the trails, and preferred the Maestro suspension (which is still my favorite). Also, never liked the handling of G2 geometry, and this bike was no different.

Component-wise, both bikes are fairly similar, but the 2x10 on the Anthem gets the edge for me. I have also had a great experience with my Elixir 5's. Both bikes have the same shocks and I don't think the extra 10mm on the rear of the Superfly will make much of a difference. Also, the Anthem felt like the lighter/faster bike while riding my local trails.

Will be purchasing the the X2 model this coming Spring and will transfer my XTR/XT drivetrain and Elixir 5's to it. Ultimately, you should get whichever bike you feel most comfortable on as I'm sure either bike will get you up the hill faster

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've owned the Hifi (similar to the Superfly) and have an Anthem. I prefer the suspension on the Giant - just felt better to me.

Edit: In my opinion, Maestro is more plush than the Trek suspension, but just as efficient on the climbs. It feels like it has more travel than it does on descents. I never quite liked the Trek's suspension no matter how much I fiddled with it.

On a side note, you really have to dial in the Maestro suspension to get the best performance out of it. 10 PSI can make a big difference on it.

mtbr member
    good to know font. Thank you both for the opinions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I did. Have the '12 model. Wanted 2x10, the Anthem is lighter and felt better.

Only thing that kept drawing me to the Superfly was the thru-axle rear, but after riding both I liked the giant suspension and fit better anyway.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Currently have an EX 8 and demoed a superfly and an anthem x1. Got on much better with the anthem. Felt better positioned on the bike. I felt forward biased on the superfly. Ordered an anthem x advanced 1 and it should arrive at my dealer tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Yeah, have always ridden Trek, and love the brand, but am leaning toward the Anthem. I have an opportunity to test a Rumblefish so I'm going to do that as well. Seems you are in the same boat with the EX8 as well. I love that bike, so still not sure I'll be upgrading, just heard 29er makes a world of a difference for singletrack.

mtbr member
    I rode the Trek, then chose the Anthem.

Both bikes are good.
    The Anthem just felt more compact and agile and I liked the maestro rear of the Anthem.

Also the Anthem was a lot less expensive for the same parts spec.
    Ride Safe.

www.lighttouchchiropractic.com.au Manly Sydney

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have an 2012 Athem X0 29er. I havent ridden a Trek superfly.Here in Oz AMB Magazine pitted both against each other and the anthem won. The 2013 model has the same frame just different spec. Note that the test was the 2011 models. the bar on the anthem has changed which copped the most criticism. i'm sure the trek has changed too. I dont have the post count to post links but on you tube search "AMB shootout" or "AMB anthem" and you'll find it. someone else might like to post it up

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks JH. Gotta get the post count up!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks again (10 now!! I can post links)

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Anthem for me. The treks seems so heavy for me.

DaFaJa
    I have been testing riding both, 2 times each, I have only ridden the anthem 2 & Superfly 100 PRO, I am leaning more on the trek, Its more relaxed, Kind of a mix of Anthem & Trance, Plus I like the full carbon frame & swinger, price wise there way off from one another. The Advance Anthem 2 was 28+lbs & the Trek was 25+lbs, I am sure when I am ready to pull the trigger I will have to ride them both again..Wish they were @ the same shop...
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 Carbon/ xx1 / xo type2
    Tampa FL USA