Fragile - must be Italian

Anybody break an NRS frame?

I have a 2003 NRS Air that has seen 5 months of hard riding from me (including a 24-hour and MBAA races). I am not a very heavy person (150 lbs), but I ride fast and enjoy banging the bike around. But as I do so, I wonder "just how long this bike is going to hold up?".

My told Trek 8000 hardtail has seen the same abuse for the past 5 years with nary a structural problem. The NRS seems like it's also a sturdy, durable design.

So my question is -- how many of you have broken your NRS frame? If you did, what was the circumstances under which it broke?

And do any of you know if there is a "life expectancy" of this frame? I know that's a loaded question, but what the hell...I thought I would throw that out and see what comes back.

Thx...Doug

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    You scared me for a second with a post like that!
    My frame still seems fine. I've had it since May, weigh 180-185, and do some rough XC with the occasional 1 foot drop. Scrapes here and there but no dents.
    I do have a buddy who broke an 02 Ranier frame. The 03 frame Giant replaced it with has a molded-in "gusset" on the TT like the 03 NRS does. Hopefully that means they've strengthened it some more. I've seen plenty of NRS's on the trail and have only met one person who'd broken a frame (it was an 01 I think, but I'm not sure)
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

I love Pisgah
    I figure since I've been slamming/racing/hammerng my blue frame 02 race bike..for 2 full years now here in the SE mtns and such, that even if it broke tomorrow(knock on wood), I'd still say.."what took so long?".

160lbs on a 18.5" and another 20.5". Both are as solid as the day they were built up.

Inrideo est vita

I did!

I broke the original NRS XTC-1 frame from 2000(?). I put 4 cracks into the welded yoke that wrapped around the seatpost... it makes up part of the pivot mount that the rocker arms rotate upon.
    I was just riding along, normal XC use, for 1 season. When I cleamed it that winter... voila!

Warrantied by Giant Canada. I promptly took the new frame and sold it...
    Canadian distribution: X-Fusion Shox, Rand Momentum lube and Canadian Shield fenders.
    TheRide.ca
    Facebook

I love Pisgah
    Was gonna say but forgot...the 2000 frame doesn't have the bigass gusset thats along the seatpost connecting the shock points. This was a source for breakage regarding the 2000 model.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    I figure since I've been slamming/racing/hammerng my blue frame 02 race bike..for 2 full years now here in the SE mtns and such, that even if it broke tomorrow(knock on wood), I'd still say.."what took so long?".

160lbs on a 18.5" and another 20.5". Both are as solid as the day they were built up.
    Yeah, but how many pedals have you gone through
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

Trail Sanitizer

I have

I broke my 2000 frame late last year. It broke on the rear triangle just above the derailleur. I figure four years of racing and heavy riding is an adequate amount of abuse for a frame to take. My LBS took care of the warranty and I received a 2003 frame in Team Blue. I did notice that in 2004, the rear triangle area where mine broke is significantly different. Not so much "open space."

mtbr member
    I'm 5'6" and teeter between 180-185.

I broke/cracked a 2001 NRS-1 frame after about 1.5 years of VERY hard technical riding. I was about 1 month out from a major Moab trip when I noticed the crack. The crack was around the previously mentioned shock mount gusset on the seat post. It ran from the top point to a few inches down. I was quite concerned about riding it in Moab - the shop said it should be OK as long as I keep an eye on it during the rides.

It survived the trip to Moab (including Amassa, Flat Pass, Porc Rim and Slickrock) - I pounded it pretty hard and the crack barely lengthened. The day I got back I turned it in for warranty replacement.

Superb warranty coverage...turnaround was about 2-3 weeks.

I then rode the 2002 NRS-1 frame continuing to be very frustrated with constant and unsolveable ghost shifting that the shop thought the new frame would fix. Didn't fix the problem - so about a year later after monthly trips to the shop for various "fixes" and a terse and lenghty letter to Giant - Giant stepped up and warrantied it with a 2003 VT-1 frame.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

mtbr remember
    I have an 03 NRS size med that I have put many hard miles on up here in the north country. I tend to ride it rough and aggresive, but I only weigh 150lbs. I do come accross quite a few 2-3ft drops (anything bigger I definetly avoid on this bike) on the trails here in the UP and it (so far) has taken them well- this could be due to the fact that I try to ride smooth as well. I would imagine that most of those cracks in the seattube gussets you hear about are from repeated bottoming of the rear shock and by people who weigh more than I do (I know of multiple AC frames cracking at the seattube too). Almost any aluminum bike does make me nervous- just how when you tap on the tubing it sounds like a pop can. I try to take care not to dent it. I don't know if the hydroformed gussets rather than the welded gussets help with durability- they sure look hot though.
    Last edited by BikeSATORI; 03-27-2004 at 09:32 PM. Reason: add

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Have a 2001 NRS1.
    Haven't busted it yet and I weigh in the 200# range. The trails I ride have a few 2 and 3 foot drops, and the usual creek, log, and rock hazards.
    Last October it seemed to be getting more flexy, so I have replaced the bushings.
    Friends who break things say there is a flxy feel when something is beginning to fail, but I can't find any evidence in the paint of fatigue wrinkles or flaking.
    I kill bars, seats, and seatposts. Also have put a flat spot in the back wheel. So under regular XC use the bike should do fine I would think.

I love Pisgah
    Just some more feedback is all. Just raced my 02 blue framed nrs again this past week. I feel racing is THE hardest on a given bike short of doing lots of drops just for the heck of it. In racing one depends on the bike more to absorb shocks(ie. not standing when one really should be otherwise) and such that normally we don't subject it too when trail riding hard. Your always trying to manage your recovery, resources, etc as the race goes on, and sitting more then you normally would is part of that. Many times I sit while hitting a short steep gravity low that makes the bike flex and wallow somewhat(wheels too), that even makes me feel abit guilty for doing it to the bike, over and over again. Saves the legs from taking yet one more heavy load to absorb and such. It all adds up. The bike was flawless the entire race, have'n never ever protested in any way. That makes 6 races this frame has done(and 2 on the 03 hydro black frame), as well as 2.5yrs of general hammering up in Pisgah, N Ga, training rides, etc. Still going strong.

The 03 hydro form frames feels measurbly stiffer by the way, FWIW.

Duck

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

seat stay on a early 2000 XtC Team

I had a seat stay break on my old 2000 XtC Team about a year ago. I'm about 195lbs, but don't race or ride too hard. It was one of the first ones sold in Taiwan and didn't have the added reinforcement that later frames have. Giant UK gave me a new 2003 NRS 2 frame with no questions asked.