siv
    mtbr member

Any taller guys on medium XTC's?

I really want a 2011 XTC 29er 1 but theyre sold out. Ive seen several mediums on ebay etc. and am wondering if Id hate it. More concerned about seatpost extension than the cockpit. The spec on that years bike is great, ill never ride a bike without a QR15 fork again. I cant believe all the other manufactures are still offering standard QR's.

Small Lunged, Big Bellied
    Nov 2010
    I have a Large 2011 XTC 29er 1 and may be upgrading to a 2012 carbon XTC 29er 0. PM me if you're interested in it.

For what it's worth, I'm 6'2" and i wouldn't recommend this frame size to anyone taller than me.

mtbr member
    I've posted this earlier on another thread, but I don't quite recall which, so I've re-uploaded.

Unfortunately I haven't got a bigger size, but i hope it helps. I'm 6'' and I've always ridden medium Giant frames. It's a height which allows to go either way according to rider preference. Personally I prefer smaller frames. Better maneuverability. Seatpost extension indeed should be taken into account but that also varies in accordance to the rider inseam height. I have found that to have an over minimum recommended (just my personal belief) seatpost length inserted in the toptube I had to go with longer seatposts. Thomson Elite 410mm to be exact.

mtbr member
    im 5'11 240lbs and im on a medium xtc. I changed out the seat post for a straight and shortened the 90mm stem to a 45mm.

I have shortish legs, long arms and long body. From what i have seen the XTC geometry is pretty forgiving for size.

I also have the 29er and went for the smaller frame so i can really toss my weight into it.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinGB View Post
    im 5'11 240lbs and im on a medium xtc. I changed out the seat post for a straight and shortened the 90mm stem to a 45mm.

I have shortish legs, long arms and long body. From what i have seen the XTC geometry is pretty forgiving for size.

I also have the 29er and went for the smaller frame so i can really toss my weight into it.
    Long arms and using a 45mm stem does not compute... You must pedal almost sitting straight.

mtbr member
    I find it a more comfortable riding position, mostly i am standing when i hit the local trails. There are always a few climbs (most are too steep to sit and peddle anyways) but if i was doing flatter terrain or street riding i would go back to the 90mm or even a 100mm.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    Have you considered the XTC may not be the most suited bike geometry for your riding genre?

mtbr member
    once or twice its crossed my mind, but its doing well for me. Maybe in a season or two i will get a reign, but im going to wait until i hit that wall and am out riding my bike.

I think the XTC 29er has great geometry the angle of the head makes it really responsive, right now im between DH/AM and XC. But even if i jump to a AM/DH full suspension rig, i am going to keep this one pretty well setup as is for commuting and rides with friends.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

siv
    mtbr member
    Unfortunately I can't ride one. My first bike was a medium Cdale F3 HT 26er. It was rideable but with my longer legs I like my seat about 31 inches from the center of the BB. If that gets my seat and bars parallel I'm good. I ride lots of rocks so endoing is a concern but I would be getting this for singletrack and rail trail days. My Cdale had an 17 inch seatpost whole the Giant has an 18, thinking this would help a little. The Gisnt seems very steep at a HTA of 71.5, any of you guys hate it for technical riding?

siv
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OxygenDeficit View Post
    I have a Large 2011 XTC 29er 1 and may be upgrading to a 2012 carbon XTC 29er 0. PM me if you're interested in it.

For what it's worth, I'm 6'2" and i wouldn't recommend this frame size to anyone taller than me.
    PM sent.

mtbr member
    once or twice its crossed my mind, but its doing well for me. Maybe in a season or two i will get a reign, but im going to wait until i hit that wall and am out riding my bike.

I think the XTC 29er has great geometry the angle of the head makes it really responsive, right now im between DH/AM and XC. But even if i jump to a AM/DH full suspension rig, i am going to keep this one pretty well setup as is for commuting and rides with friends.
    Indeed the geometry allow it to be an easy going all-around bike. And if you beef it up at the front with a bigger travel fork, although being out of its natural environment, it won't refuse to perform. However with such frame I wouldn't be comfortable pushing the envelope much further than trail riding, but that is if it was intended to last.

Quote Originally Posted by siv View Post
    Unfortunately I can't ride one. My first bike was a medium Cdale F3 HT 26er. It was rideable but with my longer legs I like my seat about 31 inches from the center of the BB. If that gets my seat and bars parallel I'm good. I ride lots of rocks so endoing is a concern but I would be getting this for singletrack and rail trail days. My Cdale had an 17 inch seatpost whole the Giant has an 18, thinking this would help a little. The Gisnt seems very steep at a HTA of 71.5, any of you guys hate it for technical riding?
    Your post isn't unreadable, but it isn't pleasant.

Where the head angles imply more are on the bike personality. Obviously different riders have different preferences. I enjoy nervous and tight bikes even when just munching miles. When I was looking into getting a FS I tried (more like sat) a Trance and immediately felt the riding position and geometry weren't what I really was looking for.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BustedBearing View Post
    Indeed the geometry allow it to be an easy going all-around bike. And if you beef it up at the front with a bigger travel fork, although being out of its natural environment, it won't refuse to perform. However with such frame I wouldn't be comfortable pushing the envelope much further than trail riding, but that is if it was intended to last.

Its extremely common to see this level of XC bike on the mountains, whistler, washington and the likes. I think you are really under rating the bike, being a 100mm travel i stay away anything over 3' drops but other then that its soaking up everything i throw at it. This bike is certainly alot more capable then just light trails and fire roads.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    Its extremely common to see this level of XC bike on the mountains, whistler, washington and the likes. I think you are really under rating the bike, being a 100mm travel i stay away anything over 3' drops but other then that its soaking up everything i throw at it. This bike is certainly alot more capable then just light trails and fire roads.
    I'm definitely not underrating the bike, you got me wrong. I was precisely talking about stuff like 3" drops. I used a XtC 840 for almost ten years (a couple of months short). Half of its life was made with a 130mm Vanilla fork and it handled it very well. I had the chance to try out newer XTC bikes in the meanwhile and they still keep their flare. It's indeed a good frame. Just not for AM/DH, as you've said you're in between. It copes pretty well with trail riding, but forcing the frame in an AM scenario might end badly. And that applies to all similar grade bikes, not only to the XTC. It wasn't my intention to bash it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I got the medium frame anthem, needed to swap out the 375mm seat post to get the seat high enough I now run a 400mm post 5mm from max. Im 5'11" but have longer legs and shorter body. You'll have to find one to sit on and get the seat adjusted to suit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    i think it has got do more with if you have longer upper body or longer legs

i am stuck in between the medium size and large

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I am 181cm ~ 5'11/2" with 32" inseam. I have stuck with the same question of Anthem X size. I tried both M & L. M is on the small end, stand upright, seems a bit confined and seatpost extension too long (scarey?) . L is on the large end and a bit stretchy particularly at DH. It seems a shorter stem on L on gentle XC terrain is good but not for DH.
    Any suggestion?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    6'2" , always stay with Giant and M-size, long stem and 410 thomson seatpost.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'm 5'10", with shorter legs and a longer torso, so I prefer the medium.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    well im 5ft 11

same as the guy above im in between medium and large bike

mtbr member
    6'0 on my mdium XTC29er but i do prefer to run bikes slightly small.