Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Any pics of blue Reign 1?

4K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  ZePequeno 
#1 ·
Kinda ugly but wanted to see a real picture.

#11 ·
Acadian....That is a nice set up! What mods are on that Reign? I would like to know your rim/hub spoke set up as well as the travel on your swapped out fork. I would like to switch out my fork to a 160 Talas and am searching for a new wheelset with 20mm TA. Also, what size/type of rear shock did you switch to, I too am contemplating switching my 09 Reign 1 to a coil. Thanks much.

#15 ·
twistedshifter said:
Acadian....That is a nice set up! What mods are on that Reign? I would like to know your rim/hub spoke set up as well as the travel on your swapped out fork. I would like to switch out my fork to a 160 Talas and am searching for a new wheelset with 20mm TA. Also, what size/type of rear shock did you switch to, I too am contemplating switching my 09 Reign 1 to a coil. Thanks much.
- 2010 Lyrik Solor Air set to 160mm
- rear shock is a 7.875 x 2.0 Fox RC4
- wheelset is factory DT 1750 with 10mm thru axle rear end (use a Hadley 10mm TA)

other than that bike is stock..

#17 ·
kobayashi said:
+1. I like my Trance X'08 color scheme.
Idly pondering the purchase of Reign '11. Anodized frame would be a decisive factor:cool:
I can't see how that colour factor can be so decisive. I guess it's pretty personal.
Anyway, I changed my 08 TranceX3 for this Reign, and i cannot foresee how can they make the Giant logo readable in that (beautifull) brushed alluminium. I think that for Giant that must have some weight. You need to be somewhat insider to MTB to know that this is a Giant:

#18 ·
Im told I can still get a large, my price would be $2200. It would be a blind purchase which I hate making. This would replace my Prophet which I just dont like, geometry is so weird I cant describe whats wrong. Not sure I need a Reign over Trance X but I want one. The large at 20' sounds pretty big, is it? Im 6ft and rode a M/L EX 9 the other day and it was a very nice fit. Also any stock weights for a large? If the 2011 has a tapered headtube should that be enough for me to wait, prices will be going up.

#19 ·
Trek doesn't have a M/L size for their Fuel EX's on their website... Looking at the sizes they have, the medium would feel fairly similar size-wise to a large Reign, as both have about a 24" toptube. Seat tube size doesn't really matter all that much for sizing as long as it's long enough to get your seat high enough. At 6 feet tall, you will probably like a large for general trail riding, assuming you don't have an abnormally short or long torso. If you order it and it doesn't fit, I'll trade you my large sized Santa Cruz Heckler :) As far as waiting for the tapered headtubes, I personally wouldn't. The marginal amount of stiffness that you gain isn't worth the extra money in my opinion. I highly doubt you're saving any weight there, unless they make the steerer thinner, which doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I think the weight savings is over a 1.5" steerer, but if you're riding a 1.5" steerer, you probably won't notice a few grams... I don't know, what was the question again?

#21 ·
marsupilami said:
I can't see how that colour factor can be so decisive. I guess it's pretty personal.
Anyway, I changed my 08 TranceX3 for this Reign, and i cannot foresee how can they make the Giant logo readable in that (beautifull) brushed alluminium. I think that for Giant that must have some weight. You need to be somewhat insider to MTB to know that this is a Giant:

That X3 is apsolutely gorgeous! Anodized is quality! it will last for a long, long time and will always look fresh. I also don't like big and flashy logos. That Reign blue made me bored of it after two looks at it. It is just personal taste...

#22 ·
The Trek was an 18.5 and more comparable to a Trance X. I guess the question would be does the Reign climb close the a Trance? Prefer the geometry of the Reign over the Trance but will mostly be doing techy rocky singletrack in PA. Considering the Trance X2 also but I think that really is ugly, whats with the orange streak? Reign 1 for $2200 is hard to beat though, only complaint would be shimano rear hub. WOuld still like a weight on a large stock Reign 1 if anybody knows.

#23 ·
The Trance X and Reign are very similar in sizing. The Reign will climb very well, not quite as good as the Trance X in most situations, but pretty darn good. If you're out of the saddle, the Trance will climb much better. Sometimes that extra inch of travel will make climbing easier over truly technical terrain. In fact, my old Reign X climbed up some hills better than my Trance X and Heckler do. The biggest difference between the two is the weight. Not frame weight so much as the weight of the build. The geometry isn't so different that you can't shift your weight a bit to compensate. I went back and forth between the Trance and Reign back in '08. I went with the Trance X because I lived in Wisconsin at the time and didn't need the travel of the Reign. Now that I live in NC, I would choose the Reign over the Trance, I think.

#25 ·
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I dont know how but my Prophet weighs around 33lbs so anything around 30 would be awesome. I searched the web for real pics of the Trance X2 but couldnt find any, dont mind the X3 but spec is a tad weak considering Im not an upgrader. At age 37 Ive lost my balls and just dont know if I need the 6 or 5 inch bike. Do have lots of rocks here in PA though. Must decide...:crazy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.