Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

any more impressions of the Trance X1 and X2 29er?

I read through the trance intro thread, but I was wondering if there were more impressions of the two low end models. I'm too poor for the X0 by far.

Anyone have any personal experience? Know of any online reviews or info?

thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Personally, I owned the Trance X1 for whopping 7 days before selling it on CL. I just was not impressed with the Elixir 3 brakes and the Fox CTD components. They feel too plush and not to keen on them. A month later I rode the X2 version expecting to get the same impression. I was wrong. I LOVE the X2 by far. But order time keeps getting pushed back and back, so I opted for a 2013 AX 29er X4 instead.

If I was given a X0, first thing I would do is swap the Fox components for Rock Shox. Better components and company in my opinion.
    Current:
    2013 Giant Trance X2 29er

Previous:
    2012.5 Giant Anthem X4 29er (SOLD)
    2013 Giant Trance X1 29er (SOLD)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm liking the X1. I like the Fox stuff on this bike because it's plush. If it were an Anthem, I'd probably want RS. Brakes aren't great, but I'll upgrade those along the way. At the price point they're at, you're pretty much going to get Avids on whatever you buy. I could have afforded buying the X0, but I'd rather go cheaper and use the extra cash and grab XT brakes and a good wheelset with quality hubs (Kings, Hopes, etc).

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I just got the x2 7 days ago. Love it so far. The cheap shimano brakes work great for me. I've only been riding for 4 months and this is my first full suspension bike, so take it for what it's worth. I have no regrets.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JTAC View Post
    Personally, I owned the Trance X1 for whopping 7 days before selling it on CL. I just was not impressed with the Elixir 3 brakes and the Fox CTD components. They feel too plush and not to keen on them. A month later I rode the X2 version expecting to get the same impression. I was wrong. I LOVE the X2 by far. But order time keeps getting pushed back and back, so I opted for a 2013 AX 29er X4 instead.
    Judging by your sig, I think you have bike commitment issues tehehehehehe.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Genetic_Drift View Post
    Judging by your sig, I think you have bike commitment issues tehehehehehe.
    I agree!

I'm the opposite, I've been shopping for a long time now. My current bike is an '08, and I hope to keep my next one just as long.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    You guys are definitely right...LOL
    Current:
    2013 Giant Trance X2 29er

Previous:
    2012.5 Giant Anthem X4 29er (SOLD)
    2013 Giant Trance X1 29er (SOLD)

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Loving my X2 so far

I have had my X2 for about 2 weeks now and I absolutely love this thing! I actually demoed a X1 because the LBS didnt have a large X2 on the floor and I wasn't impressed by the Avid 3's at all. They were noisy from the outset. Didn't get to really try out the Fox shocks so no comment on those, but I felt that I would rather save the money and buy the X2 (which I actually liked the paint scheme better anyway) and make the necessary upgrades along the way. LBS threw in some XT 780 clipless pedals and I upgraded to the XT brakes from the outset. Best money I could have ever spent. Completely quiet and experienced no fade whatsoever on some the steep downhills I have hit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I love mine!!! (X1)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Cant comment on either versions ( I have targeted the x1 - if the demo goes well based on the value) other than regardless of what you get - upgrade to Shimano XT or even the new SLX - both will kick the crap out of the cheap and bad elixirs that get spec'd

I bought the 11 Anthem 29 x1 - full XT except the brakes - upgraded to XT's and i can't think of or imagine a better upgrade... the elixirs were crap from the start and hear the new stuff is the same - cheap, noisy, no feel or modulation -

I demoed a Kona Satori recently that had full SLX and I was amazed how good the new stuff is - inc the brakes - felt very much like my 12 xt's

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    antone know if the difference in the wheels from the X2 to the X1 justifies the price increase
    ? Are they that big of an improvement?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Not just wheel difference. Front fork and shock, other
    components, upgraded. I just purchased a 2 today
    and ordered wheels and going tubeless. They
    weighed the bike for me and it was 30.7 lbs, med
    frame. I'm pretty sure I will be under 30lbs with the
    new tubeless set. Have to wait for wheels to come
    in. Hated not bringing that baby home.
    Last edited by grnd0; 10-18-2012 at 05:18 PM. Reason: added

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by grnd0 View Post
    Not just wheel difference. Front fork and shock, other
    components, upgraded. I just purchased a 2 today
    and ordered wheels and going tubeless. They
    weighed the bike for me and it was 30.7 lbs, med
    frame. I'm pretty sure I will be under 30lbs with the
    new tubeless set. Have to wait for wheels to come
    in. Hated not bringing that baby home.
    Congrats gran0! I got my 2 a few weeks ago and was lucky that the lbs had just received it in stock the night before so I was able to get my instant gratification. Let me know how your tubeless conversion goes...I am thinking of doing the same but I have never done it before.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks Trance. Congrats on yours too. My dealer, in Oviedo, FL,
    was great to deal with. When the wheels come in, they are going
    to show me how to mount. They took my wheels on trade up for
    the Stans ZTR Crest wheels.
    Probably pick it up late next week.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have spent about 4 hours on a demo medium X1 this weekend so I thought I would give my 2c. As a bit of history I currently ride a 2008 Trance 1 (4" travel) and have put over 5000 km on it I have also been mtbing for 7 years. I must preface this by saying I do not race mtb (only on strava) and as such do not profess to be a professional as far as mtb is concerned. So... I was wondering what all the fuss about these 29ers was, so I found a local store and got a demo bike. First impressions were that the bike felt surprisingly familiar, just like my current bike just bigger. I set the suspension up using the fox app for the first ride, and I was not really that impressed. Plush but did not climb well, I then realized that I hadn't accounted for my camelbak etc. So I set it up again (increase rear shock pressure 10-20 psi) and the bike was transformed. I also increased the tyre pressure 2 PSI which helped.

On the trail. The elixir 3 brakes suck, ok modulation but consistently felt like they were lacking power when hammering into corners. The also squealed like a banshee. The bars feel huge and on more than one occasion I clipped a tree, on the second ride i got used to this and adjusted my riding accordingly. With respect to cornering, this bike is a beast! It felt completely planted and had plenty of grip. On tight corners and switchbacks you realize you are riding a bike with bigger tyres. On tight opening corners I felt I had to take a racing line (hugging the inside apex) to ensure that I did not shoot off into the bush on exit. On switchbacks I found you have to lean into the corner and rotate the hips inwards (read corner properly) to get the most of it. Once you realize you have to ride it differently to a 26 and adjust accordingly it is a tonne of fun, and quick. I also found that the back end will come out to play if you want it to and when it does it feels controllable and predictable. When the trail gets a bit rougher (drop offs and big roots) this is where this bike shines. I have never been one to jump my bikes (due to lack of talent) however the trance begs for it. I found it well balanced front to back so that it lands with great stability. Because of this it is confidence inspiring and I found myself trying to get it airborne at every opportunity.

The CTD settings of the suspension is great in theory but becomes a bit of a pain having to keep reaching down to adjust it. As such I found that I used trail mode at both ends most of the time, only opening them up to descend on particularly rough tracks. When faced with big climbs (cat 4 on strava) I set the back to climb, which the bike did surprisingly well. I did feel that climb mode didn't reduce bob as much as my old rp2 with propedal but that may have been shock pressure. The small bump compliance of both ends was noticeably better than my current steed. I also noticed the difference in stiffness between the 15QR front end and my current 9mm, it felt alot more solid when cornering hard. The x9 type 2 derailleur mostly did what the marketing blurb promises however it did ghost shift a couple of times (set up?).

The saddle was average and had lost most of its colouring. The adjustable seat post is a good idea, however i found that i did not use it very much. If i was to start tackling more jumps i think it would pay for itself.

Ok so that was more like $1 of opinions, so if you are still reading I will conclude this by saying that the bike appears to be a jack of all trades, master of none. I do feel that I could ride this bike all day over any terrain as it is confidence inspiring and comfortable. I am also considering getting the X0 with full XT as the brakes and drive train appear just that bit more finely tuned.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    demod the x1 this weekend.

nice bike. maneuvers great. no probs with switchbacks. climbs great lots of traction here. descends well. handles rough stuff well. the avid 3 felt good but did start sqeaking, but didnt bother me. i liked the ctd stuff. Put in climb mode I thought it was hugely efficient. I had no probs getting this thing up the steepest of steep climbs. heavy-ish, but didnt worry me. Shifts well. Had no probs with bar width but i'm use to 720 wide bars and currently have 780 on my bike. U can always cut em down if u dont like. I'd have no probs parting with the cash and eventually upgrade wheels and brakes. I found myself wishing it was carbon though. I really love how carbon just soaks up trail noise and spares my wrists. Also found myself wishing it had a little more travel like a stumpjumper FSR's 130mm. But hey, for the price you have to be happy. Lots of fun to be had with this bike.

Your Best Friend
    Where did you find the app? iphone or Android?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Silentfoe the app is for iphone and is called Fox iRD. It is only for 2013 CTD suspension

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I did the app thing, didn't like the way it rode, and then went back to my own settings. It's probably good if you're unsure of how you like to set it up/how you like to ride, but if you've got a good bit of experience what you like, it's probably better to set sag then go by feel.

Your Best Friend
    Thanks. I knew what it was and what it was for, just didn't know it was out now. Apparently it still isn't for Android. I'd like to see how it works.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    For those that have ridden them, how is the pedal bob with the shock fully open? I don't want to keep reaching down to adjust it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The pedal bob in descend mode was actually surprisingly good. It was certainly better than the open setting of my RP2. As i said previously i tended to leave it in trail and it performed well on that setting.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just picked up today. X2 that weighed 30.7lb stock. Had
    Stans ZTR Crest wheels and stock tires, which are lite,
    mounted tubeless. Put on Wellgo MG1 peddles and
    ESI Chunky Silicone Grips. Weighed bike. 28.6lbs.
    Couldn't believe that it would lose that much just by
    changing wheels and going tubeless. Can't wait to ride.
    Swapped out seat when I got home. 40 gram heavier.
    Got some good pics but can't post them yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Any one that has the X2. Does your front fork have an o ring
    sag indicator?? Mine that I just got today doesn't, and I think
    it should.

Your Best Friend
    Yes, the fork should have a ring on it. It would take a bit of effort but your shop should be able to put one on for you.

Oh, and your bike lost a lot of weight because you put a fairly light weight XC wheelset on there. I hope you don't weigh more than 175lbs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast