BIGNATE
    Feb 2004

Any big guys on AC w/swinger??

I'm a bigger guy, just over 6'1 and 210 lbs., and am having difficulty setting up the rear swinger shock on my AC. I upgraded to the 550 lbs. spring, but the shock still sags about half way into its travel while I'm riding in the longer travel position. Recently at the Sea Otter, I was talking to the guys at manitou and they told me that when they designed the shock they didn't take into consideration the longer leverage ratios that bike such as the AC would use and that the only way to alleviate this problem is to ride in the short travel position (550 lbs. is the heaviest spring rate that they make). They did inform me however that they would be coming out with heavier springs towards the end of the year. Has any else had a similar problem, and does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes heavier spring that will work on the swinger?
    BIGNATE

locked - time out
    Jul 2004

Big Guy on AC w/ Swinger

Quote Originally Posted by nathanross@hotmail.com
    I'm a bigger guy, just over 6'1 and 210 lbs., and am having difficulty setting up the rear swinger shock on my AC. I upgraded to the 550 lbs. spring, but the shock still sags about half way into its travel while I'm riding in the longer travel position. Recently at the Sea Otter, I was talking to the guys at manitou and they told me that when they designed the shock they didn't take into consideration the longer leverage ratios that bike such as the AC would use and that the only way to alleviate this problem is to ride in the short travel position (550 lbs. is the heaviest spring rate that they make). They did inform me however that they would be coming out with heavier springs towards the end of the year. Has any else had a similar problem, and does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes heavier spring that will work on the swinger?
    I have an '03 AC2 w/ Swinger and 550lb spring. I weight 215-220 and set it at 140lbs pressure and it seems to work fine for me.

mtbr "member"

Give Mountainspeed a call..

Quote Originally Posted by nathanross@hotmail.com
    They did inform me however that they would be coming out with heavier springs towards the end of the year. Has any else had a similar problem, and does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes heavier spring that will work on the swinger?

I'm 200 and have a 550 spring as well. Yeah the AC with a swinger rides alot different than my Dakar XLT with swinger in terms of "stable platform" feel. I have my SPV chamber at 150 (before my pump disconnection and all the air leaks out). I do alright like that.

I think mountainspeed makes custom springs to fit many shock makers. Try out their web site or call em.

enjoy!

REEK