mtbr member

The Anthems are coming! The Anthems are coming!

So after ordering an Anthem 2 a couple of weeks ago at my shop, I found out they were not quite ready. They are planning on week 50, so they should finally start to come into the warehouses this next week. Even though it hit -13 degres last night here in Lawrence, I'll be ridin' that thing all over the place! I'll post pics when I get them. Gonna' slap on an XT cassette and some Conti Explorer Pros and call it good.....for now. Anybody else waiting for theirs?
    -Chris

P.S. Oh yeah, this is my first post, so hello!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I have been waiting also. My dealer got an Anthem 3 a month ago, but no 1 or 2. I am leaning toward a Anthem 2 right now. Sounds like I will get a test ride soon.

mtbr member
    I'm riding my custom NRS Team until the Carbon Anthems come out next year. Thats when i'm buying an Anthem. My next frame i build up is most definately going to be carbon!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    My LBS told me the 06 reigns have been delivered to the supplier and a my R2 should be in about a week or 2.I would think the Anthems are there as well. 8" of snow Friday,3rd snow of the year,no big hurry at this point.
    prunepit

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    That's the best news I've heard in awhile I've got an anthem 1 on order to bad their is about 6 inches of snow outside right now

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I am curious what the Anthem 2 will weigh. I also wonder why they have spec the Mavic 717 rims that look like they are for rim brakes when they have a 717 that is disc specfic. What happened to tubeless tires and rims? My 2001 Giant NRS has tubless tires and rims.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    My Reign 2 came in and is ready to role today.He said the Anthem's are in as well.Looks like the ugliest gray in the shop,they definetly meant battleship gray.Lucky it will be covered in mud by the end of the weekend.The rest of the bike looks awesome,nice parts pick,Nixon Air,RP3,DTswiss hubs,WTB rims,SRAM X7 shifters,X9rear,shimano front der. By his terribly out of wack scale,I got an average weight of 33 pounds for the 20" bike w/o pedals.
    Last edited by tkrutis; 12-16-2005 at 04:21 PM.
    prunepit

MBAA!
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrutis
    My Reign 2 came in and is ready to role today.He said the Anthem's are in as well.Looks like the ugliest gray in the shop,they definetly meant battleship gray.Lucky it will be covered in mud by the end of the weekend.The rest of the bike looks awesome,nice parts pick,Nixon Air,RP3,DTswiss hubs,WTB rims,SRAM X7 shifters,X9rear,shimano front der. By his terribly out of wack scale,I got an average weight of 33 pounds for the 20" bike w/o pedals.
    Pictures are a good thing...
    One of my friends recently died of a coke overdose and it really got me thinking, "damn, maybe I should start drinking pepsi"

mtbr member
    I was lucky enough to get the race a Anthem 1 at a 24h race. My inside rep brought 4 of them 1 for each team mate. Best race bike I have ever ridden. My Anthem 2 just showed up at my shop so I need to sell my trance 3.
    Pic of me at the start LeMans style
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sweet!!!!!

mtbr member

Good job!

And after the race.

mtbr member
    We had a few Giants!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hi everyone!
    Please all of you with 2006 models post your bikes. I really interested in compare the new 2006 models with 2005, specially the Reign. Please post your Reign tkrutis

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gambo2166
    We had a few Giants!
    ahhh....the beauty of Giants parade bikes ;-)

I have Trance 2 and thinking about the Anthem as a replacement in the future (maybe).

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Reign 06 Shock
    prunepit

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The 06 Reign rite out of the shop,not even pedals yet,sorry for the bad pics,camera phone
    prunepit

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Sram stuff
    prunepit

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Why only 1 bottle cage bolt on the underside of the down tube? Definetly going to put on a bash gaurd for the shock but still think 2 bolts would be better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the pics tkrutis.
    why don´t you put on the bash guard for the shock yet?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Do they sell a premade guard?I figured I had to fabricate 1 myself

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I supose Giant should sell it. I made my self one for my Reign 05

mtbr member
    My Giant rep said that thay should be avalible in jan.or feb.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    My Giant rep said that thay should be avalible in jan.or feb.
    The bash guards?

mtbr member
    The bash guards?
    oops. Ya the bash gaurd. made out out some kind of carbon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    oops. Ya the bash gaurd. made out out some kind of carbon.
    Sounds good,save me from making some king of Frankenstien looking guard.Will ask My LBS to ask the rep to order

mtbr member
    Just got my anthem 2 it comes in at 25.5lbs. with the plastic pedals. I will post a pic later.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Just got my anthem 2 it comes in at 25.5lbs. with the plastic pedals. I will post a pic later.
    What size is your bike?

I am waiting for an 18" Anthem 2 and I was told (by my LBS) that size and model combiantion is the only one not available yet !

mtbr member
    Its an 18"

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

SwEEt!!!!!!!

MBAA!
    What a beatiful red...
    One of my friends recently died of a coke overdose and it really got me thinking, "damn, maybe I should start drinking pepsi"

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Awsome bike!!

Does it have all the original components? Some of them do not match the spec in Giant's web page

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    That's an excellent weight for the price / component level of the bike. What size frame?

Looking forward to the picture(s).

mtbr member
    Its an 18". I put the sram x9 rear der. and shiftes on and change the seat.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Howd it ride?

Wow man. So you already got to race the A1? Cool...
    How would you describe the ride?

So, you ended up buying the A2. Are you going to miss the SPV shock on the A1, or not?

I was thinking about ordering the A3 and upgrading it. The A1 has a tasty spec (for a price), and I just can't do a 2 because I'm superstitious about red bikes.
    Thanks,
    Nate

mtbr member
    The bike ride so nice. I dont think I will miss the SPV there is no bob at all. The bike goes downhill as good as it climes. I will be doing some endurance and 24h races on it I cant wait!!!

mtbr member

Good job!

Christmas eve in Cali!!!

mtbr member
    One more..

MBAA!
    I have one word an an acronym for you, my friend..: Lucky SOB!!!

Hows she ride? If she rides anything like she looks, it would be like having angels carry you over the trail. Or, you know... a nice, pleasant ride. Not to mention fast!

mtbr member
    Anyone know of where I can buy the frame only or complete Anthem 2 or 3?

Regards...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    You're so lucky guys! I'm still waiting for the Reign at least 6months...Here, in Portugal, Giant is dead! Probably the Maestro arrives at portugal in January (Trance and Reign), I think that Anthem don't arrives here so soon!....You're so lucky, I just want a simple Reign!... ...

Sorry the bad english, but here is not the official language ... Anthem looks great, good rides... After 6months I decide to make my first post .. I'm a Maestro fanatic!

Good Rides, and thanks for the good posts in this forum! They are great!

JSQ
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Anthem frame size

I'm 5' 8", should I get the 16" or 18" frame? I'm currently riding a medium Trek and a medium Cannondale. Seems like the 16" is sligthly smaller than my mediums, but the 18" is perhaps too big. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by andrextr
    You're so lucky guys! I'm still waiting for the Reign at least 6months...Here, in Portugal, Giant is dead! Probably the Maestro arrives at portugal in January (Trance and Reign), I think that Anthem don't arrives here so soon!....You're so lucky, I just want a simple Reign!... ...

Sorry the bad english, but here is not the official language ... Anthem looks great, good rides... After 6months I decide to make my first post .. I'm a Maestro fanatic!

Good Rides, and thanks for the good posts in this forum! They are great!
    The wait will be worth it,been riding my 06 R2 and it is a fantastic bike.Pedals better than my VT,less pedal bob,Nixon with through axle makes for a solid front end.Still dont know what Giant was thinking when it choose the color,looks like they bought Navy surplus paint.That would be my only complaint. Nice

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The wait will be worth it,been riding my 06 R2 and it is a fantastic bike.Pedals better than my VT,less pedal bob,Nixon with through axle makes for a solid front end.Still dont know what Giant was thinking when it choose the color,looks like they bought Navy surplus paint.That would be my only complaint. Nice
    Yes, but, the 2006 european Reign is equal to 2005 USA Reign... So, i just want a simple thay green Reign2 05... .... Did the Fox RP3 work fine? I've been reading that SPV of Swinger3 offers a more stable platform than RP3, so less bob efect.. The 20mm through axle should be amazing in the nixon! eh he (sorry bad english)

JSQ
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

This is an Anthem thread!

Shouldn't you be discussing the reigns in another thread...

I contacted my local Giant importer. He suggested I'd go for the 16" frame. He'll get a demobike in the middle of January. Can't wait to get my feet over it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Whatever

Quote Originally Posted by JSQ
    Shouldn't you be discussing the reigns in another thread...

I contacted my local Giant importer. He suggested I'd go for the 16" frame. He'll get a demobike in the middle of January. Can't wait to get my feet over it!
    Reign , Anthem , Whatever all Giant.Read the earlier post and you would see how it got there,was just trying to help. Friend of mine rides the 18" and is about 5'8".Compare top tube lenghts from your old bike,Giants seem to run a little short. I'm 5'10.5" and was cramped on my 18.5 VT,went to the 20" Reign.

mtbr member
    Reign , Anthem , Whatever all Giant.Read the earlier post and you would see how it got there,was just trying to help. Friend of mine rides the 18" and is about 5'8".Compare top tube lenghts from your old bike,Giants seem to run a little short. I'm 5'10.5" and was cramped on my 18.5 VT,went to the 20" Reign.
    Im 6.0 and ride a 18 Reign,trance and anthem.

mtbr member

I confirm on 25.5 lbs.

I got mine Dec. 23rd. Santa came in his big brown truck and brought me my new baby. In the box with all the packing, shock pump, and manuals, it still weighed under 29 lbs. It turns out that it does come with Mavic 717 DISC rims.
    After the holidays and once the ground dried out halfway, I finally was able to get out and ride. So, after a quick "safety meeting" I grabbed two lights with unknown amounts of charge left and headed out to the Clinton Lake Trails for a night ride. This bike is incredibly agile! The trail was slick, the rocks were slimy, I was running Pythons and it was dark and it still climbed the technical stuff like a champ! I was able to put that front wheel wherever I wanted to put it. I'll update more on it later with pics.
    Peace
    -Chris
    Last edited by CRogge; 12-30-2005 at 10:19 AM. Reason: clarification
    Ride More

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CRogge
    I got mine Dec. 23rd. Santa came in his big brown truck and brought me my new baby. In the box with all the packing, shock pump, and manuals, it still weighed under 29 lbs. It turns out that it does come with Mavic 717 DISC rims.
    After the holidays and once the ground dried out halfway, I finally was able to get out and ride. So, after a quick "safety meeting" I grabbed two lights with unknown amounts of charge left and headed out to the Clinton Lake Trails for a night ride. This bike is incredibly agile! The trail was slick, the rocks were slimy, I was running Pythons and it was dark and it still climbed the technical stuff like a champ! I was able to put that front wheel wherever I wanted to put it. I'll update more on it later with pics.
    Peace
    -Chris
    Thanks for the ride report chris. I did the indoor, slow ride/ trackstand thing on the A2 in the shop after building it up, and I could tell I liked the fit and feel. Very responsive. It's been much too crappy to ride here, but the trails may be dry enough to ride this weekend. The Giant rep is supposed to bring in his A1 for demo riding, so I should have a real ride report of my own shortly.

I'm leaning toward getting the A3 and customizing it to my taste. Got an A3 at the shop and I dig the stealth grey color. Will post pics in the spring when I get the project rolling.

Have a happy New Year. Ride fast, take chances.
    Safety meeting adjourned.
    Last edited by Ride_Ypsi; 12-30-2005 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Work interupted my original post....

mtbr member
    here is my new baby, a 22" Anthem 1. Couldn't wait, had to do a night ride in the rain!
    It handles nice, very quick and responsive at speed. Light - 23-24lbs (on my bathroom scale). Still need to dial in the position but so far so good!

JSQ
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    What's the seatpost diameter on the anthem? 27,2?

mtbr member
    What's the seatpost diameter on the anthem? 27,2?
    Seatpost is 30.9

mtbr member
    Help!!! Has someone photos in size 16''?????

mtbr member
    I'm 5' 8", should I get the 16" or 18" frame? I'm currently riding a medium Trek and a medium Cannondale. Seems like the 16" is sligthly smaller than my mediums, but the 18" is perhaps too big. Any thoughts?
    Medium...

This space for rent!

Hmmm. Anthem or Trance

So, is anyone else torn between the Anthem and Trance? Seems like the major difference between the T1 and A1 would be .75 inch travel, and about a pound of weight. Same difference between the A2 and T2, correct? My normal riding is singletrack, and rocky downhill singletrack, top speed of maybe 25 MPH. But mostly tight woods riding. So the steeper head angle of the Anthem seems pretty nice. I've currently got an '03 GF Sugar 2+, which I always have thought was kind of sluggish in tight woods-type riding. What do you all think/recommend?

Thanks,
    Chuck Church

MBAA!
    Anthems are built for XC, they are lighter by more than a pound I believe than the Trances. Price is also differnet, and componets are better on the Anthem for XC. If I were you I would go Anthem..

Is it just me, or is the center of gravity, from the looks of it, on the Anthem while sitting down, really far back?

mtbr member

NRS vs. Anthem

Can anyone tell the difference between the NRS and the Anthem? Who has ridden both and what were your conclusions?
    When I get to the bottom I go back to the top of the slide
    Where I stop and I turn and I go for a ride
    Till I get to the bottom and I see you again...

Helter Skelter

MBAA!
    Although I havent ridden one, I do know the Anthem aluminum frame is lighter than the NRS carbon frames.

mtbr member
    Ride Quality is pretty much what I'm after, but a lighter frame is good news!
    When I get to the bottom I go back to the top of the slide
    Where I stop and I turn and I go for a ride
    Till I get to the bottom and I see you again...

Helter Skelter

mtbr member
    NRS ride like a hard tail set up with no sag and not very active but works ok. The Anthem is fully active set up with some sag, No pedal bob hooks up better going up hill. The Anthem handels better over all then the NRS (IMO) better going down hill too. The Anthem is light fast and hadels like a dream. And I have owned both bikes.

JSQ
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Shock eye to eye?

What's the shock eye to eye measure on the Anthem? Is it 152 mm? Is the spv really necessary on this frame design. I'm thinking of buying the frame alone, but I'm not so keen on spv-shocks. Would it be wiser to buy the Anthem 2, which comes without the spv feature?

Any more ride impressions would be nice...

mtbr member
    I asked the same question, and sorta got an answer from Giant. My guru says there is no need for an SPV shock though, I presume those of us with proper form dont need the SPV. It's likely there for the yuppies that buy a no bob bike but cant actually ride...........so sorta like a back-up.
    Heres the link the the Maestro Forums
    http://suspensionmadeharmonious.com/...topic.php?t=36

MBAA!
    Im getting mixed reviews, however...

It seems as though the Anthem was designed to have no reliance on the shock (SPV or otherwise). Thus, whether a Cloud 9, Float R, or a Wal-mart bike coil shock, it should not have ANY noticeable pedal bob. On the other hand, the SPV does slightly increase the frames overall effectiveness, albeit, I dont know how. Perhaps with SPV it soaks up more, smaller bumps.

This space for rent!
    Quote Originally Posted by en are es
    Anthems are built for XC, they are lighter by more than a pound I believe than the Trances. Price is also differnet, and componets are better on the Anthem for XC. If I were you I would go Anthem..

Is it just me, or is the center of gravity, from the looks of it, on the Anthem while sitting down, really far back?
    Thanks. Guess I'll track down an A1 or A2 to try out. Should be a blast.

mtbr member
    Another big difference between the Trance and Anthem is the geometry- much like 'en are es' said the Anthem pure XC race geometry whilst the Trance is enduro/trail bike (ie relaxed) in it's geometry.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    How about some reviews on the Anthem from those who have them?

Thanks

This space for rent!
    I stopped by my LBS today, they told me the '06 Anthem 1 and 2 won't be available until late Feb/early March. So they've got a T2 on the way for me to test next week. They had a R3 there, which I rode around inside. It's feels about the same weight as my Sugar 3+. So I'm thinking the T2 will be a nice weight decrease over what I've got, yet still handle the bigger stuff better. Getting pretty psyched now!

Chuck

MBAA!
    Just checked up on things...

ANTHEM 1 - BLUE

ANTHEM 2 - RED

First page of this thread, we see...

2 Anthem 1s (inside rep bought, but poster claims that he bought an Anthem 2)

A personally bought Anthem 2

The Anthems are such beatiful bikes, great colors especially. Loving that crimson and the race-looking blue. Congrats to all the current and future Anthem owners!

MBAA!
    Quote Originally Posted by majura
    Another big difference between the Trance and Anthem is the geometry- much like 'en are es' said the Anthem pure XC race geometry whilst the Trance is enduro/trail bike (ie relaxed) in it's geometry.
    heh... does nobody get that my name says "NRS" when said aloud? haha everyone says out en are es.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Church
    I stopped by my LBS today, they told me the '06 Anthem 1 and 2 won't be available until late Feb/early March
    I may be mistaken but... isnt the red/crimson Anthem the Anthem 2? And is there not already a red Anthem in this thread? Perhaps for your LBS they may have missed the first shipment (although thats a long delay between shipments) and... well I dont know why they would do that. There are no componets on the Anthem that we havent already seen on market, no "mid-06" componets. The only thing I could think of would be the S-type and R7 shocks, but we have seen both of those already.

EDIT: This was posted first. Sorry for the confusion.
    Last edited by en are es; 01-12-2006 at 04:41 PM.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

I will be riding my Anthem 2 tonight on a training ride WEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

This space for rent!
    Quote Originally Posted by en are es
    heh... does nobody get that my name says "NRS" when said aloud? haha everyone says out en are es.

I may be mistaken but... isnt the red/crimson Anthem the Anthem 2? And is there not already a red Anthem in this thread? Perhaps for your LBS they may have missed the first shipment (although thats a long delay between shipments) and... well I dont know why they would do that. There are no componets on the Anthem that we havent already seen on market, no "mid-06" componets. The only thing I could think of would be the S-type and R7 shocks, but we have seen both of those already.
    Don't know. Perhaps they're out of stock right now, and back ordered. I'm going to give the T2 a shot, and see how it compares to my Fisher. I'm thinking my 205 lbs might be better suited on a Trance anyway.

P.S. I noticed the NRS reverse-acryonym after reading it a couple times Very nice!

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckChurch
    Don't know. Perhaps they're out of stock right now, and back ordered. I'm going to give the T2 a shot, and see how it compares to my Fisher. I'm thinking my 205 lbs might be better suited on a Trance anyway.

P.S. I noticed the NRS reverse-acryonym after reading it a couple times Very nice!
    I also think a Trance would suit you better at that weight, it's a great all mountain type bike and I think you'll really enjoy it.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

banned
    Feb 2004

In Stock

Anthem 1's and 2's are currently in open stock at Giant.

It's quite possible that your LBS is simply waiting till Feb/Mar to get them in, figuring bike sales will pick up then.

mtbr member
    I did get the "NRS"... but diddn't want to make it all confusing with so many model names.

willtsmith_nwi

22" Anthem ....

Quote Originally Posted by jhlong
    here is my new baby, a 22" Anthem 1. Couldn't wait, had to do a night ride in the rain!
    It handles nice, very quick and responsive at speed. Light - 23-24lbs (on my bathroom scale). Still need to dial in the position but so far so good!
    What is your height??? Does the 22" Anthem fit you well.

I've been considering a replacement frame for when when current hardtail bites the dust (yet again). I'm 6'3" and ride on a Giant Yukon frame. Perhaps the longer top tube would accomodate larger riders (just like Gary Fisher bikes).

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Here's a pic of my new anthem3, been raining recently so haven't gotten many rides yet, but sure does feel great.

Members who have read this thread: 0