Gone Bikin'
    Mar 2006

Anthem1 Rear Shock Problems

I have a new Giant Anthem 1 with the Manitou S-type SPV on the back. Ridden it twice and both times the stiction on the shock has been unbearable. It is so bad you can hear it and it vibrates through the whole bike. Both times it started out fine for the first half hour or so but got progressively worse. Both rides were below freezing. Anyone else had this problem? It there a break in period?
    I've got the main air at 130psi and the SPV at about 110psi. Rebound is in the middle. Changes in these settings does not seem to make a difference. At lower SPV its worse because the shock is more active.

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneBikin'
    I Both rides were below freezing.
    I do believe that you may have answered your own question with that statement. Have you riden in below freezing temps before w/ a FS bike and did the same sort of thing happen? And yes most shocks and forks have some period of break and running it in sub zero temps during this period is generally not a great idea.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Gone Bikin'
    Mar 2006

No problem with Fox

My other bike is a Rocky Mtn ETSX70 with a Fox Propedal that I have been riding in the winter for the last 2 years. It has never had this type of problem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

check linkage?

Quote Originally Posted by GoneBikin'
    I have a new Giant Anthem 1 with the Manitou S-type SPV on the back. Ridden it twice and both times the stiction on the shock has been unbearable. It is so bad you can hear it and it vibrates through the whole bike. Both times it started out fine for the first half hour or so but got progressively worse. Both rides were below freezing. Anyone else had this problem? It there a break in period?
    I've got the main air at 130psi and the SPV at about 110psi. Rebound is in the middle. Changes in these settings does not seem to make a difference. At lower SPV its worse because the shock is more active.
    Maybe it's in the linkage. Cycle suspension with no shock just to be sure. I stuck my new 4-way air at 8 degrees by the way...not happy