mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Anthem X3 questions

I'm in the early planning stages of getting a better mountain bike than my old beater. I've been riding/racing on the road for 3 years and am looking for a bike to do some races and some ~2 hour trail rides.

Right now, these are what I'm looking at:
    -Anthem X3, upgrade components after a year or two.
    -Anthem X2, would require me to wait and save money for a while.
    -Stumpjumper Comp hardtail, may be able to get a good discount on this.
    -Hardtail 29er? dunno, never ridden one.

I'm 6'1" and 180lbs, ride in the midwest, is full suspension needed? If the Anthem is as good as it sounds, I'll take the extra comfort if I won't be giving up climbing/acceleration performance to a hardtail.

The X3 and X2 have the same frame/shock/fork, correct? What is the weight difference between the two complete bikes?

Anyway, just interested in some opinions on X3 vs. X2 vs. hardtail vs. 29er from some more knowledgeable folks.

Older & Slower
    I'm 6'0" tall/200 pounds and recently purchased the X2. I felt the component upgrades from the X3 were well worth the extra money (I would have bought the X1 or X0 if I had the money, because I believe it's cheaper than upgrading over the long haul). Upgrading the X3 might prove to be more expensive than just saving up and buying the X2...who knows?? I ride in central/northern California and it sounds similar to your riding conditions (somewhat mellow). I have found the X2 to be perfect for my riding locations/races...not overkill. It's a great balance between travel, efficiency, and weight for me. Over time I will upgrade worn out parts and continue to chip away at the weight. My X2 weighs 25 pounds and 11 ounces right now, but I transfered upgrades from my old bike (carbon bar, thomson stem and post, silicone grips, wheelset, light XC tires and tubes, XTR pedals). Happy shopping.

mtbr member
    I have been comparing and contrasting these same bikes for far too long, finally bought my Anthem X3 today - I can't wait to ride it!

I upgraded the rear der and shifters to SRAM X9, the LBS gave me a money back on the take off parts. Since the frame, fork and shock are the same (between the X2 and X3), I saw this as the one area I wanted to upgrade. I got some good feedback on the M486 brakes, so now your down to the wheels, crank and bars/seatpost. The $700 difference between the upgraded X3 and the X2 was mostly to buy lighter parts (in my novice opinion), which the CFO (wife) was not buying into......

The weight of a medium X3 with normal (bmx style) pedals was 28lbs 5oz, the X2 was 26lbs, 12oz with the same pedals, but it was a large frame, I watched him weigh both.

My total for the X3, SRAM shifters and rear der upgrade, Shimano M520 pedals, $85 helmet and $85 shoes was $2000+tax.

I plan to use the bike for the same stuff as you, just in SE Michigan.

Hope this helps....good luck!
    Last edited by BTLS; 03-04-2009 at 04:50 PM.