Thread: Anthem X3 Plus?

mtbr member

Anthem X3 Plus?

Looking for some advice / comments:

I am planning on buying an Anthem X3 and upgrading the rear der and shifters to SRAM X9. My LBS is selling the bike for $1750 and the upgrade will be about $100 - $125 with the take off credit.

I plan on trail riding in Michigan (nothing too crazy) and competing in two or three local races a year. Of course I really like the X2, but I can't justify the increase for what I think I need.

Since the LBS seems to be good with take off credit - anything else I should consider upgrading? I know if I do too much more, I will be better off getting the X2, but the cheapest I can find it is $2800, so there still is a pretty big gap between the two.

Also, the other forums and my LBS suggest the SRAM shifters and rear der are the way to go. I know XT stuff is great, but I think I will take their advice and go with SRAM - any thoughts there?

Thanks in advance for your comments!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The new XT shifters and derailleurs that come on the X2 shift way smoother and quicker than my X-O Gripshift with X-9 derailleurs on my current rig. I was impressed enough with the XT to contemplate giving up the gripshift.
    And this SRAM stuff is last years goods, too.
    Still, I like un unclutered handlebar, so until Shimano comes up with their own version of the Grip, I'll (reluctantly) have to stick with my SRAM setup.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I too thought about doing this especially since I already had parts to put on it. But I did end up buying the X2. It worked out ok but I could have saved a lot of money. but in the end i ended up with the bike I wanted, which is important also.

Check you PM

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Pics?

Got any pics?

mtbr member

Any other ideas?

Thanks for your responses - anyone else have any input? As soon as this snow stops , I will head to the bike shop, do some test rides and buy one!

Oz
    mtbr member
    I am looking at the same bikes right now and am leaning towards the X2. I worked in a couple of different bike shops many years ago so I am always biased towards the higher level bikes. I probably don't need the X2 over the X3(or even a new bike for that matter), but I like the all XT parts and love the blue and black paint scheme. Good luck with your decision, and post some pics when you get yours. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    It would cost more to upgrade an X3 to near X2 level than just to get the X2. The XT servo wave brakes are awesome, the XT crank and BB is much nicer, shifters, deraileurs....you get a lot for $800.