mtbr member

New question here. Anthem X29er rear tire clearance question

Hi all,

Currently own a 2012 Anthem X29er 1 with the stock Racing Ralphs. Upgraded to a Stans Flow rim and have purchased 2.35 RR (vs the stock 2.25RR).

The rear tire clearance on the stock setup is a bit tight on the seat stay bridge and I'm wondering if the wider Stans rims plus the wider tire is going to give me rubbing issues.

Yes, I can assemble up the tire/rim package and find out for myself, but I thought that I'd post the question in case any owners already have gone through this already.

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri View Post
    Hi all,

Currently own a 2012 Anthem X29er 1 with the stock Racing Ralphs. Upgraded to a Stans Flow rim and have purchased 2.35 RR (vs the stock 2.25RR).

The rear tire clearance on the stock setup is a bit tight on the seat stay bridge and I'm wondering if the wider Stans rims plus the wider tire is going to give me rubbing issues.

Yes, I can assemble up the tire/rim package and find out for myself, but I thought that I'd post the question in case any owners already have gone through this already.

Thanks!!
    Just put in 2.4 " Ardents and the rear tire clearance is not super good but seems to work quite ok. (2012 Anthem x 29 frame and Arch EX rims)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anthem X29er rear tire clearance question-clearence.jpg  

Last edited by Xizor1; 10-03-2012 at 11:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply! New wheels should be here next week. I'll post a pic for reference sake once I get the new wheels up and running.

mtbr member
    I'll keep an eye on this - want to see what it looks like, because a similar conversion is apt to happen on my 2013 X2.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Xizor1 View Post
    Just put in 2.4 " Ardents and the rear tire clearance is not super good but seems to work quite ok. (2012 Anthem x 29 frame and Arch EX rims)
    nice ... im going for this setup soon. thanks!

mtbr member
    2.35 Racing Ralphs with Stans Flows. LOTS of room and no rubbing. Would pack up if riding in mud, but the Maestro did that with the stock setup anyways, so no loss there. Pics:

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    2.35 Racing Ralphs with Stans Flows. LOTS of room and no rubbing. Would pack up if riding in mud, but the Maestro did that with the stock setup anyways, so no loss there.
    thanks for sharing!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Anyone running Panaracer Rampage 2.35's?

mtbr member
    Portland PA Rider, did you put the Ramage on your Anthem? I'm about to make a trip to the mountains and play on the rocks (quite different from my local trails with some roots and loose rock) and was looking at the Rampage for a rear tire that might hold up to the rocks better than my current tires. Curious if you had any issues with it if you switched to it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Portland PA Rider, did you put the Ramage on your Anthem? I'm about to make a trip to the mountains and play on the rocks (quite different from my local trails with some roots and loose rock) and was looking at the Rampage for a rear tire that might hold up to the rocks better than my current tires. Curious if you had any issues with it if you switched to it.
    The tires fit with no problems and hook up great on everything. I run the rear reversed which improves bite going up over roots and rocks. They roll well too. I did burp the rear last time out. The pressure was low and I hit a little jump on an off camber trail. Landing on an angle caused the tire to come off rim briefly. The wheels are set up with gorilla tape and Stan's on non-UST rims. Probably less likely to happen on a UST rim. Have a good trip!

mtbr member
    Awesome, thanks for the update

mtbr member
    For what it's worth, I've been running 2.35 Hans on stock wheels with no negative issues.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy V View Post
    For what it's worth, I've been running 2.35 Hans on stock wheels with no negative issues.
    How would you rate the Han's as compared to the stock Racing Ralphs?

mtbr member
    How would you rate the Han's as compared to the stock Racing Ralphs?
    I ride pretty rocky trails so the weight penelty I gladly accepted.
    I destroyed the RaRa's in about a month or less.
    I noticed right away improved traction, cornering , climbing, braking...
    They have been my front and rear for a year now and the rear is starling to show a little ware. The only pinch flat was entirely my fault, tire pressure was way to low.
    Now the RaRa's rolled like they were almost self propelled. Not so with the HD's, they roll very well, but not like the Racing Ralph.
    I will continue to use the Hans as my everyday tire, and may try the Geax Saguaro for racing.

mtbr member
    Sounds good. Thanks for posting back!