mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Anthem x29 wheelset upgrade to Giant P-TRX wheels

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has upgraded the stock P-XC wheels on their Anthem x29 to the Giant P-TRX wheelsets to help give a better profile for fatter tyres?

The second question is if anyone has a suggestion for a better set of wheels around the same price range it would be appreciated. Only difficulty is I am located in Japan and bits and pieces are a little harder to come by.

Thanks in advance
    Matt

cowbell
    I'm not sure what a P-XC wheel set would cost, but if I was going to upgrade my wheel set, it wouldn't be to that. When my S-XC's give out, my current thought for replacements is a set of Pacenti CL's laced to some Chris King hubs.

davidcarson48
    Not sure what the P-TRX would cost you there, but I'd look at the Stan's Arch/Flow from Wiggle, as well.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yeah, I wouldn't go that route. They're a fine wheelset if they come on the bike, but the MSRP outside of that is about $1050. You can get several really nice wheelsets for half that, or a nice set of handbuilt Kings for around that price.

I'd agree with the others - Stan's Arch EX or Flow EX (depending on your riding style) would be a good rim. Wiggle | Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo MTB Wheelset | Performance Wheels will cost you less than 400 before shipping.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for the ideas guys! Will check out net and see what I can get shipped. The P-TRX was really a lazy/easy option when it is difficult to deal locally.

carbon classic
    Jul 2011
    After a few solid years riding on the stock P-XC2 wheels, I'm also finally looking an upgrading the wheels on my 2011 Anthem X29er to something lighter.

Having had a amazingly good run from a pair of DT Swiss Hugi hubs, that are still running well and were originally built up as a custom Wheelset in 1993, I am a BIG fan of DT Swiss hubs. Therefor I have a bias towards wheels which run on hubs with DT internals.

I've also considered the Giant P-TRX wheels for their wider rim and better larger tire performance, but as Fontarin mentioned, for around $1,000 there are some other very good alternatives.

I'm currently considering the (Specialized) Roval Control Carbon Wheelset (approx.$1,200) and the soon to be released SRAM Roam 50 Wheelset (approx. $1,072) as options as well.

Both these wheels have wider internal rim widths, like the P-TRX wheels. I believe the Roams are 21mm and the Rovals are 22mm. They also both offer a nice weight saving on the P-XC2 & P-TRX wheels. P-TRX - 1,795 grams, Roam 50's - 1,610 grams, Rovals - 1,580 grams.

Have read some good reviews on the Rovals and I'm keen to check out the Roam 50 wheels when they are released soon. I also like the idea of one spoke length for both the drive and non-drive side that the Roam wheels offer - much simpler if you break a spoke.

Enjoy your new wheelset when you get them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Had a look at all the options offered and had picked a wheelset out until I read about the Syntace W35 wheels. Am waiting to hear back from the Japanese importer to find out what the damage will be..........

carbon classic
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack0207 View Post
    Had a look at all the options offered and had picked a wheelset out until I read about the Syntace W35 wheels. Am waiting to hear back from the Japanese importer to find out what the damage will be..........
    I didn't know about these Syntace wheels. They certainly look the goods!
    And I really like the 28.5mm internal rim width.
    Thanks for posting - you've added another option for me as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OnAnySunday View Post
    I didn't know about these Syntace wheels. They certainly look the goods!
    And I really like the 28.5mm internal rim width.
    Thanks for posting - you've added another option for me as well.
    Will post the price and availability if I get a reply.