mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Anthem X29 1 vs Superfly 100 AL Elite

On the way to a trail ride I stopped by a Giant dealer to see the Anthem. I was surprised to find the off th anthem 29 22as a demo bike. Only $45 for the day. After all the reviews on the Anthem I was very interested in taking out the bike for ride but I was let down they did not have a size M available. It would have been great because I would have been riding the same trail I got to demo the Trek Superfly 100 AL Elite on. Has anyone here ridden both the Anthem X29 1 and the Superfly 100? These two bikes seem to be both a great trail/XC bike. I ride general XC singletrack trails. I am looking for something faster than my Fuel EX8. Both the trek and giant are similarly equiped. I would change the giant brakes to SLX and the Trek to a SLX 2x crank. I have ridden a rumblefish and also a stumpjumper. Both nice bikes but are more bike than my terrain requires. I also want a faster bike than those (handling and pedaling efficency). The price difference is only $150. Trek is my local dealer, Giant is 1.5 hrs away but by a trail I ride. The giant shop also offers the Trance as a demo bike....but it is the bottom model. I think it may be too much bike for what I want like the stumpjumper and rumblefish is.

1. Is the wheels and tires tubeless ready

2. weight of a stock AX1?

3. Ride impressions vs Superfly 100?

4. What is maestro suspension? Is it basically ABP like Trek? i.e. dont lock up while braking?

5. Is the front brake rotor really 170mm?

6. Anything else?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

Your Best Friend

Re: Anthem X29 1 vs Superfly 100 AL Elite

1. Can be made tubeless easily.
    2. Somewhere just north of 27lbs.
    3. No idea.
    4. Maestro uses a dual short link rear suspension. It creates a vertical wheel path with imperceptible chain growth. Minimal bob as well and does not require a platform shock. It is not ABP. ABP is a single pivot. It is active but it has a lot of bob, needs a platform and has an arching wheel path with it's accompanying chain growth.
    5. Yes.
    6. You're on a Giant forum. Take everything here with a grain of salt. Trek sucks.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I used to have a HiFi (the aluminum version of the Superfly in 2011), and it wasn't bad. The Anthem (which I sold my HiFi for) is a much better bike in my opinion. The suspension is much nicer. The bike also seems a bit better for aggressive XC riding. The Hifi just felt like a bigger bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    So more compact than the trek? I like how the Giant has a riser bar...kind of gives it the "trail" look vs the hunched over XC racer look. Whats alll needed for tubeless besides sealant? Are the RA RA's tubeless ready?

Yea I know I am in a giant forum. Who better to talk about the giant then giant riders? If I posted this in the General forum everyone would be posting about some one off or botique bike that I have no interest in. Keep it coming. More info the better.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Does the rear suspension lock up when braking?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

davidcarson48
    I own a 13 Anthem. My last ride was a 10 HiFi Pro.

Both were great bikes. The HiFi felt a little bigger and a little more plush (I have SID/Monarch on my Anthem though). I do like the suspension on the Anthem better. It's more linear in the shock travel but it still climbs great.

Both are nice bikes, I think you'll be happy with either. The Giant is probably a better value overall, but maybe not if the dealer is 90 minutes away.
    Last edited by davidcarson48; 03-11-2013 at 07:58 AM.

Your Best Friend

No. That is a single pivot trait.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    This thread caught my eye. Due to the weather here, I haven't been in a big hurry to pull the trigger on a new bike yet. I have ridden both of these bikes, and I happen to like both. Coming from a hardtail, I think I would be happy on either. For me, I can buy a new 2012 SP 100 AL Pro at a great discount, which is basically the same price as a 2013 Anthem 29 1. My problem is the Superfly Pro is complete xt,which I really liked and the discount makes it a great buy. I am trying be a little more objective, but I seem to be a sucker for what seems to be a deal. Deep down, I think I would be happier with the Giant rear suspension. However, I was actually thinking I would be more likely to buy an Anthem 29 2, and make some upgrades from there to fit my needs. For me, I can change a lot of parts, but I can't change the suspension design.

From the demo day, I learned

I had better traction on both
    I thought the giant rear suspension was a lot more active, and plush
    They handle a lot different, and sit different, but I can't say that I have ridden either enough to prefer one over the other. Anthem seemed a little quicker handling, maybe
    Both bikes were more fun than my current Trek Cobia Hardtail, so both were plenty of fun to ride.
    I learned that I had little interest in a Trance, given my terrain, and riding style
    Without a choice, I rode a carbon on my demo ride. So, I can't fairly compare the feel of the weight. On paper, I think the Anthem is hard to beat for an aluminum bike.
    Riding a carbon on the demo made me want to consider a cabon, it just feels different.

Take this for what you will, I am a average rider just having a good time. I don't have a trek or Giant Tattoo, but I really like riding bikes, being outside, and working out. I think either bike will make me want to ride more, longer, and harder.

I was really hoping someone on here would respond to your thread and push me over the edge,

Good luck,

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Another delema I have is the Trek dealer is local and has been good to me with my current bike that I did not buy from them. The Trek dealer is road bike bias though. The Giant dealer is about 1.5 hrs away but located by a trail I like to ride. They seem to be a great dealer that I would frequent often. The Giant dealer does offer a good selection of mtb gear. To be honest I would feel alittle guilty not buying from my local trek dealer. But I want a bike that is good for me.

On paper here is how they stack up for me:

Giant -

1.Avid brakes need to go! I could have the dealer swap my SLX on my bike to the new and put the Avid on my Fuel.Or work out a brand new set.

2. Tubeless on Giant does not seem as nice of a setup as Bontrager's. I read somewhere on the Giant website they do not recommend setting up their wheels tubeless but it can be done.

Trek

1. A 2x10 SLX crank is needed to replace the marginal stocker. Dealer says the 3x10 F derailer and shifter can be adjusted to work with 2x10. If it dont work I would have to get a shifter and F derailer.Bike is alittle cheaper so that could help if more cost is involved.

Is the Giant frame a life time warranty?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I've just bought an Anthem X1 and it's one helluva bike.

As I get used to it I'm getting faster & faster, the traction from the rear suspension is excellent on everything from loose dirt to scrabbly small rocks.

Stock it weighed 11.95kg on the scales in the shop I got it from, mines now a fair bit lighter since going tubeless on Stans crests / hope pro II Evo SP's around 800g's less in reality.

The Avids are fine as brakes if I'm honest, I was going to swap them but can't be bothered now. The front rotor is 170mm, but due to the excellent rear traction, it doesn't hinder stopping as on big descents you can use a fair bit of rear brake without fear of locking the rear wheel

Your Best Friend

Yes stygz1, the Giant has a lifetime warranty on the frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The shop I have talked to has either a small or Large Anthem X2 available for demo (they sold the Med). I am 5'9 with about a 30 inseam. I think I would be a size medium. Would I get a decent demo impression riding either a small or large?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

One of the guys I ride with is 5' 9.5", he rides a small Giant 29er. Not an Anthem, it's a hardtail, but that's his personal preference. So I would say that you could get a decent impression but I'd probably lean toward the small rather than large. I'm 5'8" and before I bought my Trance X years ago all I could demo was a small, loved it and bought a medium.

And my vote goes for the Giant. Not because I'm a fanboy, but the Anthem X is truly a great all around bike with an XC flavor. But in my short time with mine, it seems to be so much more capable than it would look on paper but at the same time is also very fast and efficient, and light for the money. And the Avid 5's don't seem to suck so far either. In fact I read somewhere that they received a rework for 2013..

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

My new AX1 is set up tubeless already BTW, I will post a weight when my scale gets here...in the meantime:
    http://youtu.be/FXhR9j1Hjo8

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Any word when they release the 2014 models? Wondering if the Anthem is due for an update.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    What is the width of the stock bars on the X1? How is the Fizik saddle working out on the x1?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

The bar is a generous 730mm wide, I cut mine marginally to 710. The saddle works really well for me, but it's a very personal preference. I liked the WTB Devo, which is similar in size and flatness, on my Trance X. On that I tried a more 'shaped' Fizik Gobi and didn't like it too much. Others may feel the opposite, but for me the Fizik Tundra gets the job done.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Cool. I like wide bars. I think those Fizik saddles are fairly expensive.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Does the stem, bars, and seat post good quality? Are the grips lock on?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Yes on all counts. Grips again are a preference thing and I may switch them out eventually, and also go to a carbon bar out of personal preference. But all parts are as nice as the RaceFace stuff that was on my last bike. Nothing screams 'change me now'. Stem is nice and for me the right length, so not changing that at all...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    That video makes a good case for the Anthem. From the video and terrain it shows that pretty much checks all my boxes. Just need the shadow+ RD and swap to shimano brakes. Just need to get out for a demo
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

OK, I weighed my Medium X1, and mine is the 2013. Without pedals it sits at 26.6, with XT pedals it is at 27.35.

I had it out at the more technical trail in my area. The bike is very versatile, easily as versatile as my 5" 26er was. Actually more so because it tackles the same terrain only faster. And for a 29er it seems quite happy in the air too which I like. But man on steep climbs this thing feels like someone is helping me from behind.