mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Anthem X29 0 or 3 with upgrades?

Looking for a new bike but having a hard time deciding what route I should take.
    Just get an Anthem X29er 0
    Anthem X 29er 0 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Australia

Or Anthem X29er 3
    Anthem X 29er 3 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Australia
    With the following upgrades
    Thundra 2 saddle
    Wheelset (DT240+Crest)
    Groupset: XT + XT Brakes
    Lightweight rotors
    Carbon Handlebar and carbon seat post

The Anthem X3 will be a few hundred dollars less than the 0 and with a better wheelset, brakes and carbon handlebar but would an Anthem X0 still be a better bike with X0 parts? I really like the color of the 0 but the CTD Fox fork with the possibility to run remote on both front and rear shock is tempting.

What would you do?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'd go with the 3 with the upgrades you have listed. No question. I personally think the Deore is fine for shifting and would just go with XT brakes.

Edit: That's assuming you want to save money. You could also upgrade the hubs to Kings with the extra cash.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fontarin View Post
    I'd go with the 3 with the upgrades you have listed. No question. I personally think the Deore is fine for shifting and would just go with XT brakes.

Edit: That's assuming you want to save money. You could also upgrade the hubs to Kings with the extra cash.
    Not in to save money, more in to get the best bike for the money =)

XT is minimum if I go for Shimano, I guess I would upgrade the X9 shifters on the 0 also.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'd probably go with the 3, then. I haven't ridden the fork/shock on the 0 though, so it might be an improvement enough to consider - that'd have to be determined on a test ride. I will say that the 0 specced rear shock was nicer (RT3 I think?) on the 2012 than the Fox RP2 on the lower models (stiffer, better for climbing).

Wheelset and brakes would be something I'd change on the 0 though - same as the 3, so going with the 3 and then upgrading those (+groupset, like you said) might be a better option.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    A lot of riders say that the fox 29" fork is a better choice for ruff trails as it is a real 29er fork and not a longer 26" fork. I guess 0 has SID due to the weight.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yeah, last year's model, the RT3 was stiffer, but less plush on descents. The Fox was less so, but very plush on the descents, so it really depended on what you were using it for.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The RT3 is a great rear shock, but fox ctd with remote lever could be a good thing.