mtbr member
    May 2012

Anthem x1 29er Fox shock settings

I'm 200 lbs fully loaded on my bike. I'm set at 200 psi rear shock and 60 psi front. I got about 25-30% sag on the front.

I get full travel on rear and have about an inch to spare on the front. I have to go down to about 50 psi to get full travel.

75 or 70 psi "feels" good to me. What seems strange is that from about 80 psi right down to 50 psi I have an inch of travel left after riding. What really seems strange is that right at 50 psi I get full travel, at 51 psi I still have an inch?

I'm a civil engineer, so springs and shocks are not my specialty, lol.

It seems like maybe my shock is defective?

Thanks Bill
    Last edited by Billinsd; 11-06-2012 at 07:32 AM.

mtbr member
    What year is your bike and what fork are you running?

My 2011 has the Fox Float 29 and these are notorious for not getting full travel due to oil migration. The mod to fix this has been discussed in the shock/suspension forum. I'm sending mine out for service and the air chamber mod.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    What year is your bike and what fork are you running?

My 2011 has the Fox Float 29 and these are notorious for not getting full travel due to oil migration. The mod to fix this has been discussed in the shock/suspension forum. I'm sending mine out for service and the air chamber mod.
    My bike is 2012, and it's got the Fox Float 29. I called Fox again yesterday and explained the situation and they told me to send it in. I asked if it was common and they said no.

I'll look for some threads in the shock forum.

Thanks Bill

mtbr member
    Bill,
    There are a couple of threads about this in the suspension forum. One is about modifying air volume to get full travel and another one about oil migration into the air chamber. From the number of pages in these threads I would say its very common.

Both Push and Suspension Experts do this mod and reports seem to say its well worth doing to get full travel. Those who are experienced can DIY but I don't want to mess with an $800 fork.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hey thanks!!! I found this one about the oil migration Bath Oil Migrating to top of Air Piston

And this one about modifying the air volume Fox air forks - Modifying volume to get full travel?

I do not want to mess with my $800 fork either. When I talked to Fox the other day, I thought they said something about the possibility of oil migration.

So, will Fox make an air chamber mod? If so I will ask them to do it.

Thanks!
    Bill

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I just got the fork back from Fox and they rebuilt the whole thing. They even replaced the steering tube, because they said it was creaking. I took it to my LBS to have them cut the steering tube and put it back together.

I set the front fork at 85 psi and got full travel on my normal rides

Happy ending!!

Thanks all
    Bill