mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Wink Anthem X Mud control!

Hey to fellow Anthem X riders who want to cut down cleaning time and keep your front derailleur shifting smoother for longer:

I found a way to keep the mud from my rear wheel from clogging up my front derailleur, at least for a lot longer than usual...(see the pics).

If you want to create the same deflector you need the following:
    1. From your local arts supply shop, buy a large sheet (250mm x 380mm) of "plastic etching plate". I chose 0.5mm thickness which is thick enough to be durable, but thin enough to retain some flex (which you will need as you slide the deflector into place). You'll be able to make two deflectors from this one sheet.
    2. Cable ties: I used 2 x 300mm X 4.8mm cable ties and 2 x 200mm X 4.8mm cable ties
    3. A sheet of plain white paper
    4. A pair of scissors.
    5. A hole punch
    6. some gaff tape

Use the plain sheet of paper to create the template and hole locations. Cut the plastic to shape and punch the holes. It will take a little bit of twisting and bending to slide the deflector into place, then use the cable ties to secure the deflector. I use the long cable ties at the top of the seat stays in opposing directions to give some for and aft stability to the deflector. I use the short cable ties near the junction with the chain stays.
    I use gaff tape to cover any sharp edges that have frame contact and to cover any space left by holes that I might not have punched in the correct places!

http://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/50...or_142-800.jpg

Good luck and hope you enjoy this tip!

PS I've also used plastic ice-cream container lids to protect the down tube from being dented by stones - very useful whether your frame is alloy or carbon.

Anthem Addict,
    Woodend, VIC Australia (home of the Wombat Forest single track circuits)
    Last edited by AnthemAddict; 09-26-2010 at 12:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

hmmm ... can't seem to get the photos up there :(

I'm just resizing the photos to make them smaller and will try to re-ulpoad!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Photos are now up!

Also goto my gallery to see more images.

Cheers

Anthem Addict!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    you should patent the design and sell it to giant. looks great and pretty clever.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hey thanks - Cost of parts is about $5 so probably take me 20 years to recoup a patent!

basically I had one of the early trance's 2005 model and I spent so much time cleaning up when it was muddy!

The Anthem X improves it a little but still leaves the front derailleur exposed.

Big plus is the Maestro suspension stays clean too!

Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Nice one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthemAddict
    Hey thanks - Cost of parts is about $5 so probably take me 20 years to recoup a patent!

basically I had one of the early trance's 2005 model and I spent so much time cleaning up when it was muddy!

The Anthem X improves it a little but still leaves the front derailleur exposed.

Big plus is the Maestro suspension stays clean too!

Cheers
    Great idea! Do you have to worry about mud that much though living in Oz?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Well we have just come through a 'normal' wet winter - the first really wet one after 5 much drier ones. We had a 100mm (4 inches) dump of rain about 3 weeks ago that caused some pretty widespread flooding.

Woodend is aboout 650m (approx 2000 feet) above sea-level and tends to be one of the wetter parts of southern Australia. So even in this drier start to Spring the deflector has done a great job as there are still loads of muddy sections in the forest trails here.

Cheers
    AA

Cycle Solutions
    dude put down some electrical tape where the zip ties wrap around your frame or you will have deep scratch marks from the ties.

bi-winning
    It seems you take riding in the mud pretty seriously. Why Crossmarks?

Just given' you a hard time. :-)
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hi Benno and RKJ
    Gaff Tape to prevent scratching - yep have done so, the photos were taken early in the piece.

RKJ - I tend to run the Crossmarks at about 38psi and they seem to shed mud reasonably well - that said I'm gald we've come to the end of our wet winter I find them to be a fast rolling tyre that I think will be very good for our spring - more dry than wet.
    Cheers
    AA

mtbr member
    Great setup mate! might do that to mine, would save alot of hassle in the wet

You riding the BMC Dirtworks? I'll be hading down from Sydney to do the right in about 10days. Whats the course like at Woodend?
    My Rides
    2010 Anthem x2
    2007 Giant Reign 1
    2006 KONA Hoss

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlam
    Whats the course like at Woodend?
    Farkin fantastic is what it is. Was supposed to be racing it again this year as parf ot a 10 day Vic road trip but alas is not to be.

OP - nice simple design and does not look as bad as I thought it would when I read what you were doing.

This winter had to be the worst for riding I've ever seen. Bloody miserable it was. But summer is here and my exams finished yesterday - I feel as free as a bird

mtbr member
    Is there much hill climbing?
    My Rides
    2010 Anthem x2
    2007 Giant Reign 1
    2006 KONA Hoss

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

BMC Dirtworks at Woodend VIC

Hey J

the BMC dirtworks circuit at Woodend feels like it's about 60% uphill - so don't go out too fast too early! That said it doesn't have the sheer steep climbs of the Otway Oddysey circuits. The Elite riders do the 100km in about 5h 45m depending on the weather (dry vs wet).

The Wombat Forest has many super fun technical and fast sections and it's overall a softer more forgiving track than say at Castlemaine where the sharp quartz and granite are constantly threatening to cut you open if you fall off.

A tip if you arrive a day or two early pop into Woodend Cycles (the owner is Russell Eckersly - the guy with dreadlocks) in Woodend - they basically built the trail and can give you a map if you wanted to do a reconnaissance ride.

Good luck and enjoy yourself!

AA

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Correction the eilite riders do the 100km in about 4h 45 mins

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Rock
    Great idea! Do you have to worry about mud that much though living in Oz?
    AR, this past Winter has been the wettest winter in 38 years along the Great Dividing Range and already this Spring it is the wettest Spring for 40 years in the SE to quote the BOM.

Even the farmers are saying too much of a good thing is now far too much. Some of the lakes like Lake George have had no water in them for 16 years. Lake George is filling nicely. Where I live in the ACT there are no water restrictions, for the first time in about 12-14 years. One tends to forget how long after about a decade of being thirsty.

Lake George ... from a ride across the Cullarin Range to the Lake George Escarpment back in mid winter.

In the race Capital Punishment held recently, the damage to the bikes from the sandy clay was extraordinary. A third of the way through the race riders had no brakes. New pads were warn through the pads then through the metal. I saw pads that after the race, the metal was as thin as metal foil, something that I had not seen before. At my local LBS Onyabike Belco, the guys were saying that every bike that they were servicing after Capital Punishment needed about $300 worth of repairs from the brutal sandy clay. On Kowan Forrest's fire trails the mud was like a power grinder.

Last Autumn on the March long-weekend, I was a couple of days into a bike tour in East Gippsland on the Murrangowa Mud (mud like grease even when it looks dry), and where I was had the heaviest rainfall ever recorded in Australia over a 24 hour period. Not often is a tour abandoned ... and it feels like it has been raining every second day since then.

The latest prediction for the East Coast is heavier than normal rainfall for the looming Summer. I think that I'll make one of these "deflectors" for my X3, I should have made it when AA first posted, but living here in what is normally a rain shadow region one has little experience expecting rain ... Cheers.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 11-09-2010 at 10:53 AM.