Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Anthem X flex.

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  TigWorld 
#1 ·
Has anyone noticed any flex in anthem X's (09 or 10 model) rear triangle due to the linkages (pivots,bushings,bearings) even after some trail abuse?Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
I went from a '06 Stumpy 120 to the '09 Ax, and the first thing I noticed was how much STIFFER the Ax is. Mine doesn't feel very flexy at all ....especially for a 25 lb xc bike, with my big 220 lb ass on it.

That reputation, you speak of, is unfounded in my experience with limited comparisons.

#5 ·
My '09 model & my 2 mates (same model) have all had this inner shock bush replaced & the bobble/flex in the rear triangle went away. Its a simple part to replace if your LBS has the press it can be done in 5 minutes.

I've had Trances & Anthems and they all seem to develop a loosening of the rear triangle within 12 months and I put it down to wear & tear or lack of care (by me).

The Anthem is a race bike & race bikes are not made for long life. My life rolls around racing & enjoying riding so I've kitted myself out with a XTC29er for the long road/fire road rides, a Reign X for bombing & trail riding (bullet proof) and keep the Anthem for the weekend race. If you don't want 3 bikes get a Reign and put it on a diet as much as your budget will allow, that way you get a frame that will endure whilst still being able to get around the track at a fair pace.

Or buy a hard tail & rue the day you gave up that rear shock.

#7 ·
Its a very simple replacement that you can do yourself but if your LBS has the tool its a 30second job.
Take the top bolt out of the shock mount, take the rocker mounts out of the shock & there is a thin bush inside the top shock eye. This is the part that wears out, now most may think this is a design fault but metal on metal wears out so before you can finish a beer the $2 part is installed & your good for another 12 months.

#8 ·
It is actually best to remove and throw away the crappy alu and brass bushings Fox uses and get an Enduro Needle Bearing shock kit - works way better and last way longer and is also much smoother than the crap bushings.
Window_shopper said:
Is this wear and tear repairable by changing bushing or bearings?

#9 ·
good info, I noticed the rear end to be a little wobbly after only a few rides (enough for the tire to touch the chainstay)

LyNx do you have a link to the specific enduro needle bearing shock kit that fits the anthemX RP shock ?

#10 ·
Best I can do you is point you to the page for them, now clue what size the Anthem takes as I don't own one. http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id275.html

Evan55 said:
good info, I noticed the rear end to be a little wobbly after only a few rides (enough for the tire to touch the chainstay)

LyNx do you have a link to the specific enduro needle bearing shock kit that fits the anthemX RP shock ?

#11 ·
I own a giant XTC 2 2006 and giant doesn't look like the company which would try to shave of like 50$ from their bike just to make it more appealing to the blind buyer.Has anyone else had the same problem?
I think that a tire rubbing on the chainstay doesn't indicate play in the rear triangle by itself.The tire is laced onto the rear wheel which is laced on the rear triangle.If the rear triangle plays the wheel will play accordingly.Now if you are conrenring rigorously(which means the rear wheel is planted onto the ground)and the rear triangle comes in contact with the tire that would indicate play.Does this happen when you corner or when you move the wheel side to side on a standing bike?Just some thoughts,open to corrections.

#12 ·
I can't see how your rear tyre can come into contact with any part of the rear triangle no matter how sloppy your suspension bushings and/or bearings get. The Anthem rear triangle is one piece. The only way you can get tyre rubbing is if your wheel bearings are flogged or your wheel is not in properly/tight.

Also, that top busing on the shock will have very little effect on the rear feeling flexy. The main bearings on the maestro link and the top bearings on the rocker plates take all of the lateral force. If it feels flexy look at those. Indeed, to check flex its easier to remove the shock from the top mount, swing it forward out of the way and then work the suspension up and down and see if there are any parts that bind or feel sloppy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.