Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 279
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    210

    Anthem X cracked frames.

    With the Anthem X having been around for a couple of years now and with the recall on the Anthem X 29'r because of cracks at the top tube/seat tube junction, I thought it would be a good idea to see how many Anthem X 26'r owners have had a problem with their frame developing a crack at the same place as the 29'r.

    Out of the three AX owners, myself included, that I know in my area, two have had to get their frames replaced due to the frame cracking.

    How many others in this forum, if any, have had the same problem?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    245
    Weird, I Know at least 4-5 guys with Anthems so far no problems. I know they had some with a few of the 29ers, but i have never seen a picture or heard anything about the 26ers breaking.. The good thing is the Lifetime warranty so no worries..

  3. #3
    icy
    icy is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    106
    I am still waiting for my frame replacement for a cracked seat tube top tube junction, have not heard anything it's been about 9 weeks

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    63
    Never heard of any regular Anthems with cracked frames. As for lifetime warranty??? 5 years for giant suspension frames (taken from owners manual version 8.0), 10 years for hardtails.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    245
    They must have changed the Warranty.. I'm looking at my owners manual (2009) and it has a lifetime Warranty as long as the original purchaser owns the bicycle..

  6. #6
    TranceX Rider
    Reputation: Onie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    951
    ^ true, according to my LBS... that's what keeps me buying Giant stuff... good after-sales services and what not... LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatienza
    There was no need to scare potential buyers and burn bridges "buddy"
    Tell me now, what's Product testing all bout then?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    145
    Well, if they have changed the warranty, they haven't updated their FAQ on their website...

    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/page/175/

    Quoting from the above:

    "Giant Bicycle, Inc. ("Giant") warrants the frame and rigid fork of each new Giant brand bicycle and Giant brand frameset to be free from defects in material and workmanship for as long as the original purchaser owns the bicycle."

    Now, I can see how they could get around that by saying something along the lines of "you must have crashed it or been doing 5 foot drops on an XC bike...warranty DENIED!" But on the surface at least it appears that the lifetime warranty is still in effect.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 743power's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    334
    Surprised to hear about cracked ax's. I have about 3k miles off road on mine and our shop has sold a few dozen over the years, with some 250+# guys on them without any issues.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by 743power
    Surprised to hear about cracked ax's. I have about 3k miles off road on mine and our shop has sold a few dozen over the years, with some 250+# guys on them without any issues.
    This is good to hear. I was hoping that there would not be a whole bunch of cracked frames, but with the two out of three frames cracked in my area I was concerned that maybe Giant had a design problem with the Anthem X.

    With the hassle I and others here in Canada seem to have getting replacement frames, I was contemplating selling my new frame and buying something else. I really like the bike though and didn't really want to do that so I will hold on to mine and hope that the first cracked frame was just an unfortunate occurrence.

    Thanks all for your input.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    57
    Here in Europe no problems with that as far as I know, and I researched it a bit.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2
    Problem of cracking Anthems X (26 ones) exists in Poland and is getting bigger.
    I own 2010 X2 size M, and today i purchased longest Thomson Elite post (410mm) hoping that it will prevent my frame from cracking- now OEM post sits in minimum insert of 5 inches...

    Frames are cracking at seat tube top tube junction under 70-75kg (155-165lbs.) riders with seatpost inserted 5 or more inches in frame.

    The problem is that Polish Giant distributor refuses to replace frames under warranty, infact Giant is known in Poland that they build good frames in decent price but when it will crack they won't replace it on warranty.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    63
    So far never heard of any Anthems cracking here in the UK, mine is a 2009, with Thomson Masterpiece post(350mm), inserted into the frame 115mm (4.5inches) and I weigh approx 87kg in riding kit.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    25
    I have already had one frame replaced and am awaiting the outcome of my second frame failure, both developing cracks on the top tube seat tube junction next to the weld. Both frames less than 12 months old. First frame replaced no problem currently being told the second frame failed due to damaged bearings??????? so not covered by warranty! personally I'm not sure how a bearing should affect the structural integrity of a frame, you would have thought they would have taken these things into account during development.
    I have been offered the second frame for a third of the retail price but am not happy with this as I believe its a warranty issue and they don't. Do you think I have a case for argument?
    I live in the UK and both frames are standard 26" wheels.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB1978
    I have been offered the second frame for a third of the retail price but am not happy with this as I believe its a warranty issue and they don't. Do you think I have a case for argument?
    Try to find "customer right representative"- loose translation from polish , he should help You with your problem. In Poland they are helping with preparing paper work free of charge,

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    565
    im 210lbs + gear and been riding mine for over 2 years. no cracks, just a great handling bike
    The mountains are calling and I must go

  16. #16
    icy
    icy is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    106
    I was told they should have a warranty replacement frame available by the end of March. I was offered a trance x frame immediately but declined and will have to wait. Hopefully they will be in soon as the snow is melting quickly around here.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB1978
    I have already had one frame replaced and am awaiting the outcome of my second frame failure, both developing cracks on the top tube seat tube junction next to the weld. Both frames less than 12 months old. First frame replaced no problem currently being told the second frame failed due to damaged bearings??????? so not covered by warranty! personally I'm not sure how a bearing should affect the structural integrity of a frame, you would have thought they would have taken these things into account during development.
    I have been offered the second frame for a third of the retail price but am not happy with this as I believe its a warranty issue and they don't. Do you think I have a case for argument?
    I live in the UK and both frames are standard 26" wheels.

    Sounds to me like they are looking to shaft you on the replacement. Was the first frame replacement just the front triangle and if so who did the tear down and rebuild?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by icy
    I was told they should have a warranty replacement frame available by the end of March. I was offered a trance x frame immediately but declined and will have to wait. Hopefully they will be in soon as the snow is melting quickly around here.
    So it has been about 20 weeks so far? Even though it is winter that is still unacceptable. I hope you do get it in time for riding once the trails dry up.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikhs
    Sounds to me like they are looking to shaft you on the replacement. Was the first frame replacement just the front triangle and if so who did the tear down and rebuild?
    No the first replacement was a complete frame, new shock etc. This time my bike has been stripped down to the frame by the shop and the frame then returned to Giant UK for investigation and what I mentioned in my original post were their findings.
    I've emailed them direct over the weekend but still awaiting a reply.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CRogge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    291
    I found a crack at the seat tube-top tube junction on my '09 Anthem X today. I stopped by the shop where I bought it and I should be getting a new one soon. I'm just wondering what replacement options I'll be getting. If they offer me a current frame, I'm not sure how I'll go about adapting my fork to the newer, tapered head tube or the cranks to the newer press-fit BB.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anthem X cracked frames.-frame-break.jpg  

    Ride More

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    10
    Mine (2010 Anthem X frameset) cracked at the seat/top tube junction as well, I'm 75-78 kgs, ride an XL with a 400 mm seatpost pretty far extended, but still with enough in the frame. Giant was great with replacement, within a week I had a new 2011 frame, the new frame has a sticker at the junction warning about seat post insertion. Getting a headset to fit my conventional fork in the tapered headtube was quite a nuisance as I needed the bike back in order quickly. Also I was running square taper cranks on my old AX so had to buy new cranks, I can't really complain though :-)
    For what it's worth, two riding buddies also have "old" AXs and they also cracked them in the exact same place, but again, Giant does an admireable job around here. I see plenty of guys riding AXs around here and from what I understand the problem is pretty limited, but those using their bike a lot and riding it pretty hard seem to have a great risk of cracking their frame.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by CRogge View Post
    I found a crack at the seat tube-top tube junction on my '09 Anthem X today. I stopped by the shop where I bought it and I should be getting a new one soon. I'm just wondering what replacement options I'll be getting. If they offer me a current frame, I'm not sure how I'll go about adapting my fork to the newer, tapered head tube or the cranks to the newer press-fit BB.
    dont need a new fork. just need a lower reducer cup, and possibly upper reducer cup if you get a 2012 frame with the 1.25 upper.

    dont need new cranks, just a press in BB.

    should be less than $100 for both parts and the lbs should do the work for free along with swapping your parts over

    pretty sweet deal for getting a newer lighter stiffer frame for just $100
    The mountains are calling and I must go

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CRogge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    291
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan55 View Post
    dont need a new fork. just need a lower reducer cup, and possibly upper reducer cup if you get a 2012 frame with the 1.25 upper.

    dont need new cranks, just a press in BB.

    should be less than $100 for both parts and the lbs should do the work for free along with swapping your parts over

    pretty sweet deal for getting a newer lighter stiffer frame for just $100
    Sweet! Thanks for the info! I might look into a tapered fork to make the most of the new frame.
    Ride More

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: anesthesia-matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    215
    So I guess if you're not the original purchaser.......your just screwed??

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: d365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,306
    Quote Originally Posted by anesthesia-matt View Post
    So I guess if you're not the original purchaser.......your just screwed??
    sort of... they may give you a crash replacement deal, which will be cheaper. That's the risk you take with buying any used bike. I'm not aware of any companies honoring a warranty for a 2nd owner.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •