Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Anthem X cracked frames.

132K views 395 replies 122 participants last post by  Lopaka 
#1 ·
With the Anthem X having been around for a couple of years now and with the recall on the Anthem X 29'r because of cracks at the top tube/seat tube junction, I thought it would be a good idea to see how many Anthem X 26'r owners have had a problem with their frame developing a crack at the same place as the 29'r.

Out of the three AX owners, myself included, that I know in my area, two have had to get their frames replaced due to the frame cracking.

How many others in this forum, if any, have had the same problem?

#187 · (Edited)
Add a 2010 Anthem X3 26er to the list.

Bicycle accessory Cylinder Stationery
I'm just posting to add my bike to the list. I bought a 2010 model on close out in March of 2011 and I started to hear a clicking noise about 2 months ago. I couldn't figure out what it was. it went away after I removed the seatpost and put it back in and tightened it up. It came back today and thats when I noticed that the black line at the top tube and seat stay was actually a crack. (I put clear tape on my frames when I get them new to keep the paint damage to a minimum for when I want to sell the bike in the future. )
I thought the tape was causing the black line but it was actually a crack. Taking it to my LBS in about an hour. I really wanted to know what frame they would replace it with or do they actually repair it. I'll post back.

#190 ·
It seems I haven't been putting enough information on this forum. I brought my Anthem 29er x1 in April 2013 after doing lots of research and reading up on mountain bikes. It seemed like the Anthem was the best thing since sliced bread, winning all the awards. I have a friend who rides a specialized Carve 29er. We go out on most rides together and he has had no problems with his bike. I however seemed to be constantly chasing a creak! Thought it was the crank or pedals. It got so bad we stopped at local bike shop. They spotted the fractures in the paint work on the seat tube and seat tube/ top tube weld. They said the whole frame should be replaced and should stop riding it immediately. They sent photos to Giant and spoke to them. Giant was happy to replace frame under warranty. My problem was it was going to cost to be stripped down and rebuilt as I did not purchase the bike from them. I therefore took it back to shop I purchased it from. He has apparently taken it to Giant and they have said they would not replace frame as it has been damaged through use!! What am I to do? This is my dilemma??!!

#192 ·
I need to get some feedback on your warranty claim experience

I have been dealing with this shop called Roswell Bikes in the Atlanta, GA area. I brought bike (2011 Anthem X3) to them that I bought from them and they have the nerve to tell me that they're going to charge me $175 plus $40 shipping to get my frame replaced under warranty. So I ask what the charges are for and they say the $40 is for freight (understandable) and the $175 is for stripping down and rebuilding the new frame up. I said, this is a warranty issue. Why should the customer have to pay for this service when it failed though no fault of my own? They said, after 30 days, the return period is over and I have to pay for service. I think this is a bunch of crap!

So I say, I don't have the money and I can swap the parts myself. (which is true, I've been building bikes for 20 years!) They say that my new frame will not be covered under warranty because it was not built up by a Giant authorized dealer. This is just wrong in my opinion. I feel they should honor the warranty again if it breaks no matter who built up the bike.

What have you all's experience been dealing with your bike shops? I'm going to contact Giant and if they tell me they're not going to honor a warranty on the 2nd frame, I'm just going to sell the bike and never deal with Giant or Roswell Bikes again.

#193 ·
My shop didn't charge me for a tear down build up because they want my future business. They could have, as it's within their right as Giant doesn't cover labour hours, just the frame. Your shop chose to charge you at the expense of a lost future customer; that's their call.

Phoning Giant won't get you anywhere as it's within your LBS right to charge you. As to requiring an authorized dealer to do the rebuild sounds skeptical as the frame shouldn't fail because a cable was cut too long (as an example) UNLESS it's in regards to the pivots not being torqued correctly. THAT might be the issue and if so, I'd get them to torque the pivots and hand over the frame for you to rebuild yourself.

I have been dealing with this shop called Roswell Bikes in the Atlanta, GA area. I brought bike (2011 Anthem X3) to them that I bought from them and they have the nerve to tell me that they're going to charge me $175 plus $40 shipping to get my frame replaced under warranty. So I ask what the charges are for and they say the $40 is for freight (understandable) and the $175 is for stripping down and rebuilding the new frame up. I said, this is a warranty issue. Why should the customer have to pay for this service when it failed though no fault of my own? They said, after 30 days, the return period is over and I have to pay for service. I think this is a bunch of crap!

So I say, I don't have the money and I can swap the parts myself. (which is true, I've been building bikes for 20 years!) They say that my new frame will not be covered under warranty because it was not built up by a Giant authorized dealer. This is just wrong in my opinion. I feel they should honor the warranty again if it breaks no matter who built up the bike.

What have you all's experience been dealing with your bike shops? I'm going to contact Giant and if they tell me they're not going to honor a warranty on the 2nd frame, I'm just going to sell the bike and never deal with Giant or Roswell Bikes again.

#199 ·
Sadly, the shop is within their rights to charge for the tear down and build up. It won't make you any happier when I tell you this - my shop didn't even charge me freight on my new frame. I took my bike to them, they handled the warranty situation, and charged me not one thin dime for freight, labor, or even having to look at my ugly mug both times I stopped in the shop.

This is the real variance between shops. It's a bit glib to say they aren't all created equal, but I think it's safe to say there are shops out there who are willing to work for your business, and shops out there who don't seem to care, they think just because you ride bikes, and they sell bikes, you'll be back. Sadly, many of those shops go out of business, and people who don't know any better think their only choice is to buy a bike from chinamart.

As far as building the bike up yourself, I'm pretty sure that's not really a problem, it's just your shop trying to scare you into paying them too much money to do the tear down and rebuild.

#200 ·
Follow up

Just following up to let you know what happened. I got my 2011 Anthem X frame to replace my cracked 2010 Anthem X. It was about 1 week later (fast turn around). I opted to swap my own parts so I just stripped the bike down to the frame in the parking lot at the bike shop. Everything was mostly smooth. Giant sent a free tapered headset with adapter for my fork. The bike shop charged my $60 for a new BB (which they originally said would only be $45) and $40 for shipping. They were great with handing the claim in a timely manner but that will be the last time I shop of visit Roswell Bikes.
Now I'm just waiting on a new chain and rear caliper adapter since I upgraded to 180mm rotors. Product Musical instrument accessory Floor Tan

#205 ·
First thing my LBS did was check my Thomson post for how far it was inserted into the seat tube. Once they saw that it was inserted well past the minimum insertion point, my warranty went ahead with no issues or hassles. It was literally a ten second inspection (loosen seat post clamp, raise seat tube, yep, it's in there good, put seat post back to original spot, tighten seat post clamp).

#206 ·
Any evidence to support this? Have any of the cracked frames mentioned in this thread run a longer travel fork?

I'm on my third Anthem X29, first was Aluux, second and present one Advanced. All had 120mm forks and IMO rode better than stock. 185lbs with no gear and ride aggressive XC/Trail with no issues so far.

#207 ·
Bacdoc, if you showed up with a 120mm fork and a cracked head tube, i think your chances of getting warranty on a frame would be slim. If however it has a cracked seatube top tube junction which is far more likely, then it's hard to imagine having any problems except from a store employee who is a little short in the brains dept .

#208 ·
I've bought all my frames used so not eligible for warranty. To me it's worth the discount and if I brake this carbon frame I'll send it to Calfee and rebuild. Just can't see how slackening the HT angle slightly would lead to failure but would like to see evidence of this. I would bet that most if not all of the cracked frames are running stock components.

From the abusive riding/crashing I put this latest anthem thru, I'm pretty impressed, I mean the frame even seems more scratch resistant than the Alu. I don't baby the bike and looks like new.

A brand like Giant produces a kazillion frames an there always is a possibility of a defect. Feel bad for those who got a lemon but Seems like Giant has been taking care of warranty issues - that's why you pay a premium for new bike from the LBS and a good reason to buy from the LBS if you have concerns.

#209 ·
As a Giant dealer I will look at your broken frame to determine why it cracked before I contact Giant. So yes, I have plenty of evidence to back up what I'm posting here. If you only buy used, why are you so interested? Giant does a great job with warranties but they won't help if you've added parts the bike wasn't designed for. This is standard with any brand.

#210 ·
If you read my post, I know warranty does not apply and that's not the issue. People say a lot of stuff but sometimes reality is different. I'm interested because it's been brought up (fork travel) but I've never seen it. Most of the stuff posted on here is cracked frames with stock components. I value your opinion as a dealer and if you said your shop has seen this I would believe the relationship. If you said you never saw one that is interesting to me too. Just curious, what's wrong with that?

#212 ·
Data points to add to the issue of cracked aluminum Anthem 29 frames.

In the group of guys I ride with, there are/were 4 aluminum Anthem 29s. The two bikes that are ridden the most have both broken at the top tube/seat tube intersection.

1. My 2011 XL cracked after 1.5years. I am 170lbs. I ride a lot but am an 'on the ground' XC guy, at least with this bike, and have always been easy on wheels and frames. Unfortunately, I'd just sold the bike to my 160lb friend a month before it broke, so there was no warranty. Thomson post, 6cm short of full extension (ie. plenty of post in the frame)

2. 2012 medium: Cracked after 1 season of riding by my 150lb friend. Stock seatpost, inserted far into the frame

The two bikes that haven't broken are owned by guys that ride once every week or two, ie. not much.

I think there's a design problem causing the joint to prematurely fatigue and crack, and this problem hasn't been fixed.

FWIW, the carbon Anthems have held up better so far.

#213 ·
I think you've pretty much nailed it. When mine let go, it wasn't because I was catching a bunch of air; I think it's a design issue.

When my frame cracks again, I'm going to ask my LBS if there's anyway that I can spring for the carbon frame (I'd pay for the upgrade) as I think that the carbon mold on the frame addresses the seat tube/top tube junction issue. I'm very happy with the geometry and maestro suspension design, so I don't want to go to another company if I can help it.

#215 ·
That's my plan as well. Anyone know what, if any, the weight difference is in the carbon frame? I've got a friend with a carbon Anthem, and my bike isn't much heavier than his. Makes me think the weight difference in the carbon and Al frames isn't much either, which would lead me to believe either the carbon is WAY over built (probably not) or the AL is way under built, which is more likely. I know for a fact the carbon frame is much beefier around the shock mount than the AL frame (that's where mine broke).

#218 ·
which would lead me to believe either the carbon is WAY over built (probably not) or the AL is way under built, which is more likely. I know for a fact the carbon frame is much beefier around the shock mount than the AL frame (that's where mine broke).
It probably the latter. I don't think the Al frame is under built. After all it's a light XC race frame. Many heavier riders beat on them without any issues.

Judging by the XTC carbon frames, Giant tends to focus more of durability and stiffness without their carbon frames rather than light weight.

#222 ·
Well... I'm sorry to read all these words only after buy a used Alu 2013 AX 26er frame... I should expect my frame to crack in the near future? Ok, I bought a used frame but from a great brand that should do great bikes, not paper bikes. Giant site even says that this frame can take a 130 kg rider!
If it brakes, what can I do? Can be welded again by someone good in this stuff?

#223 ·
Well, you have two options. Either ride it, and don't worry about it, or sell it to someone else, and don't worry about it. Presumably you got a really good price on it since it was used. The odds are in your favor against it breaking because if you look at the number of bikes sold vs the number turning up broken here, it's a very small percentage. But for someone like me who has bad luck with frames, that's why a used bike is pretty much always out of the question.

If you keep it, and it breaks, you can always use the components to build up another frame of your choice, so it isn't a complete loss.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.