Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 265
  1. #176
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by koedi View Post
    Attachment 824282
    Just noticed this when I was cleaning my bike. 2013 AX2 29 XL, just over three months old and roughly 15 races/rides done. Lets see what my LBS has to say,
    After seeing this i quickly checked my 2012 anthem 29er 1 Aussie Version and found a crack in the paint in a very similar spot to the crack in this photo. Has anyone else noticed a crack developing from a paint crack in this region? I have attached a photo that may help with my explanation.

    Cheers

    Anthem X cracked frames.-img_0938.jpg

  2. #177
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,456
    I realize I've never posted a picture of my frame, but yes, it's that exact spot that mine cracked. When my frame cracked, it made a rather horrible creaking noise when power was applied to the cranks (climbing a hill for instance). Anthem X cracked frames.-2013-08-06-07.55.05.jpg

  3. #178
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    When my frame cracked, it made a rather horrible creaking noise when power was applied to the cranks (climbing a hill for instance). Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-08-06 07.55.05.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	830888
    I guess i just keep riding until it completely cracks like yours

  4. #179
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by koedi View Post
    Just a status update. LBS made reclamation two weeks ago, no news from Giant.
    Finally good news. Giant has processed claim and new frame is on the way. Yay!


    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    That seems strange. I don't know if things work differently, or more slowly where you are, but honestly, my LBS received my new frame 6 days after I dropped my bike off there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    That is on your LBS. I'll bet they either forgot until you bugged them or they just did it wrong somehow. All it takes is a 2 minute phone call to their local rep and the new frame would be on the way. Piece of cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri View Post
    I had my new frame within five days. I'd be suspect of your LBS vs Giant.
    I guess it was a bit of both. LBS made normal reclamation through dealer portal and didn't push local rep. Also processing times at Giant seem to be really long and LBS doesn't get any information how the process is progressing nor have any direct contact at Giant Europe.

  5. #180
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jkirkpatri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,158
    Good news! New bike (almost) day soon!

  6. #181
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    Attachment 823662Here is my warranty replacement
    Very nice frame! Did you put on the scale?
    ___
    2012 On-One Inbred 29er (custom ht w/2x10, trail, fun & race bike)
    2013 On-One Lurcher Carbon SS (in progress)

  7. #182
    Team Vitrin Hungary
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by LGee_ View Post
    I'm adding another photo to the topic. My buddy's 2010 2011 Anthem X frame in size M has just cracked today during a regular ride. He has ~12000km (~7500mi) in the frame.

    http://i.imgur.com/pqVlZjJ.jpg
    Update: After ~2 months of waiting (including waiting for the LBS, then the frame has probably been sent back to Taiwan), the replacement has just arrived:

    http://i.imgur.com/yod7SGr.jpg

    As you can see, this is the 2013 Anthem X. For some reason, shipment costs must be paid by my buddy (~30USD, not a big deal, this is why it is particularly not very generous from them IMO...)

    ---

    Do you guys know if there was any improvement in the 2013 Anthem X frames as opposed to older models?

  8. #183
    Epic rider
    Reputation: rapsac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    317
    2013 models have cable guides for a dropper post.
    12 Anthem X29
    07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

  9. #184
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    117
    broke mine at seat tube/top tube junction. giant is sending a new front triangle
    I'll be taking these huggies, and whatever cash you have in the drawer

  10. #185
    mtbr member
    Reputation: edmorales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    91
    Hi all, I have a 2010 Anthem X 26er, purchased on clearance sale last 2011. Is this cracking issue affecting the 26ers as well or only the 29er?
    cheers

  11. #186
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,456
    I wouldn't worry about it unless something happens to it. I saw something about one other 26" frame cracking, and they replaced it with a carbon model.

  12. #187
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    144

    Add a 2010 Anthem X3 26er to the list.

    Anthem X cracked frames.-2013-10-03-10.10.35.jpgI'm just posting to add my bike to the list. I bought a 2010 model on close out in March of 2011 and I started to hear a clicking noise about 2 months ago. I couldn't figure out what it was. it went away after I removed the seatpost and put it back in and tightened it up. It came back today and thats when I noticed that the black line at the top tube and seat stay was actually a crack. (I put clear tape on my frames when I get them new to keep the paint damage to a minimum for when I want to sell the bike in the future. )
    I thought the tape was causing the black line but it was actually a crack. Taking it to my LBS in about an hour. I really wanted to know what frame they would replace it with or do they actually repair it. I'll post back.
    Last edited by shwndh; 10-03-2013 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Changed model year from 2011 to 2010

  13. #188
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ha-evolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    107
    That's exactly what happened to my Anthem X 26er. They will replace the frame.

  14. #189
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jkirkpatri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,158
    Same thing happened to my X29. They replaced the frame AND rear swing arm. Totally new frameset!

  15. #190
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    7
    It seems I haven't been putting enough information on this forum. I brought my Anthem 29er x1 in April 2013 after doing lots of research and reading up on mountain bikes. It seemed like the Anthem was the best thing since sliced bread, winning all the awards. I have a friend who rides a specialized Carve 29er. We go out on most rides together and he has had no problems with his bike. I however seemed to be constantly chasing a creak! Thought it was the crank or pedals. It got so bad we stopped at local bike shop. They spotted the fractures in the paint work on the seat tube and seat tube/ top tube weld. They said the whole frame should be replaced and should stop riding it immediately. They sent photos to Giant and spoke to them. Giant was happy to replace frame under warranty. My problem was it was going to cost to be stripped down and rebuilt as I did not purchase the bike from them. I therefore took it back to shop I purchased it from. He has apparently taken it to Giant and they have said they would not replace frame as it has been damaged through use!! What am I to do? This is my dilemma??!!

  16. #191
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    144
    What! That is insane! The frame is under recall right on their website. I call BS from your bike shop.

  17. #192
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    144

    I need to get some feedback on your warranty claim experience

    I have been dealing with this shop called Roswell Bikes in the Atlanta, GA area. I brought bike (2011 Anthem X3) to them that I bought from them and they have the nerve to tell me that they're going to charge me $175 plus $40 shipping to get my frame replaced under warranty. So I ask what the charges are for and they say the $40 is for freight (understandable) and the $175 is for stripping down and rebuilding the new frame up. I said, this is a warranty issue. Why should the customer have to pay for this service when it failed though no fault of my own? They said, after 30 days, the return period is over and I have to pay for service. I think this is a bunch of crap!

    So I say, I don't have the money and I can swap the parts myself. (which is true, I've been building bikes for 20 years!) They say that my new frame will not be covered under warranty because it was not built up by a Giant authorized dealer. This is just wrong in my opinion. I feel they should honor the warranty again if it breaks no matter who built up the bike.

    What have you all's experience been dealing with your bike shops? I'm going to contact Giant and if they tell me they're not going to honor a warranty on the 2nd frame, I'm just going to sell the bike and never deal with Giant or Roswell Bikes again.

  18. #193
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jkirkpatri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,158
    My shop didn't charge me for a tear down build up because they want my future business. They could have, as it's within their right as Giant doesn't cover labour hours, just the frame. Your shop chose to charge you at the expense of a lost future customer; that's their call.

    Phoning Giant won't get you anywhere as it's within your LBS right to charge you. As to requiring an authorized dealer to do the rebuild sounds skeptical as the frame shouldn't fail because a cable was cut too long (as an example) UNLESS it's in regards to the pivots not being torqued correctly. THAT might be the issue and if so, I'd get them to torque the pivots and hand over the frame for you to rebuild yourself.


    Quote Originally Posted by shwndh View Post
    I have been dealing with this shop called Roswell Bikes in the Atlanta, GA area. I brought bike (2011 Anthem X3) to them that I bought from them and they have the nerve to tell me that they're going to charge me $175 plus $40 shipping to get my frame replaced under warranty. So I ask what the charges are for and they say the $40 is for freight (understandable) and the $175 is for stripping down and rebuilding the new frame up. I said, this is a warranty issue. Why should the customer have to pay for this service when it failed though no fault of my own? They said, after 30 days, the return period is over and I have to pay for service. I think this is a bunch of crap!

    So I say, I don't have the money and I can swap the parts myself. (which is true, I've been building bikes for 20 years!) They say that my new frame will not be covered under warranty because it was not built up by a Giant authorized dealer. This is just wrong in my opinion. I feel they should honor the warranty again if it breaks no matter who built up the bike.

    What have you all's experience been dealing with your bike shops? I'm going to contact Giant and if they tell me they're not going to honor a warranty on the 2nd frame, I'm just going to sell the bike and never deal with Giant or Roswell Bikes again.

  19. #194
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by shwndh View Post
    What! That is insane! The frame is under recall right on their website. I call BS from your bike shop.
    i am in the uk. where on the website is the recall, i can not seem to find it

  20. #195
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by BOb scaff View Post
    i am in the uk. where on the website is the recall, i can not seem to find it
    Recall Information - Giant Bicycles | United States

    I'm on the US site though.

  21. #196
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri View Post
    My shop didn't charge me for a tear down build up because they want my future business. They could have, as it's within their right as Giant doesn't cover labour hours, just the frame. Your shop chose to charge you at the expense of a lost future customer; that's their call.

    Phoning Giant won't get you anywhere as it's within your LBS right to charge you. As to requiring an authorized dealer to do the rebuild sounds skeptical as the frame shouldn't fail because a cable was cut too long (as an example) UNLESS it's in regards to the pivots not being torqued correctly. THAT might be the issue and if so, I'd get them to torque the pivots and hand over the frame for you to rebuild yourself.
    Charging to rebuild the bike is one thing. But refusing future warranty on the bike because you built it up yourself is not right. What if I just bought the frame? There are enthusiasts who build up their own bikes. They know this, that's why they sell the Anthem X frame only. Are they denying warranty on those too?

  22. #197
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jkirkpatri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,158
    Quote Originally Posted by shwndh View Post
    Charging to rebuild the bike is one thing. But refusing future warranty on the bike because you built it up yourself is not right. What if I just bought the frame? There are enthusiasts who build up their own bikes. They know this, that's why they sell the Anthem X frame only. Are they denying warranty on those too?
    That's why I placed emphasis on the pivots as that's the only place I think that Giant could have an issue with. I agree with you, you should be able to build up your bike without warranty concerns.

    Some on here have had their front triangle replaced only, some, like me, have had their entire frame replaced. I assume that your frame = the front triangle only? That's where I was alluding to in regards to the pivots. If the frame includes both the front and the rear, then yes, I agree, it's all hogwash!

  23. #198
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri View Post
    That's why I placed emphasis on the pivots as that's the only place I think that Giant could have an issue with. I agree with you, you should be able to build up your bike without warranty concerns.

    Some on here have had their front triangle replaced only, some, like me, have had their entire frame replaced. I assume that your frame = the front triangle only? That's where I was alluding to in regards to the pivots. If the frame includes both the front and the rear, then yes, I agree, it's all hogwash!
    Gocha. I got a call back from my LBS this afternoon. They said they were going to send out a whole new frame with the shock and rear triangle. They're also sending an adapter kit for the newer style tapered head tube but the BB is press fit. I'll have to replace that on my own dime. The shop said they would order it for $45. If they press it in, it's $30 labor.

    I'm just going to strip the bike down and either assemble it myself or take it to another Giant dealer and let them assemble it so I have no issues with a future warranty claim. This shop I'm dealing with is about 35 miles away from me and they're really not offering me any value for shopping with them. Every issue I've had with the bike had a charge associated with it and 45min drive both ways. I'd rather just deal with another shop that's closer since they're going to charge me anyway.

    But I hope they don't make an issue out of assembling the bike myself since I don't have to take the frame apart. I'm just concerned about the frame cracking again.

  24. #199
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,456
    Sadly, the shop is within their rights to charge for the tear down and build up. It won't make you any happier when I tell you this - my shop didn't even charge me freight on my new frame. I took my bike to them, they handled the warranty situation, and charged me not one thin dime for freight, labor, or even having to look at my ugly mug both times I stopped in the shop.

    This is the real variance between shops. It's a bit glib to say they aren't all created equal, but I think it's safe to say there are shops out there who are willing to work for your business, and shops out there who don't seem to care, they think just because you ride bikes, and they sell bikes, you'll be back. Sadly, many of those shops go out of business, and people who don't know any better think their only choice is to buy a bike from chinamart.

    As far as building the bike up yourself, I'm pretty sure that's not really a problem, it's just your shop trying to scare you into paying them too much money to do the tear down and rebuild.

  25. #200
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    144

    Follow up

    Just following up to let you know what happened. I got my 2011 Anthem X frame to replace my cracked 2010 Anthem X. It was about 1 week later (fast turn around). I opted to swap my own parts so I just stripped the bike down to the frame in the parking lot at the bike shop. Everything was mostly smooth. Giant sent a free tapered headset with adapter for my fork. The bike shop charged my $60 for a new BB (which they originally said would only be $45) and $40 for shipping. They were great with handing the claim in a timely manner but that will be the last time I shop of visit Roswell Bikes.
    Now I'm just waiting on a new chain and rear caliper adapter since I upgraded to 180mm rotors. Anthem X cracked frames.-2013-10-11-18.55.11.jpg

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •