Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Hi guys.
    I have a 2013 anthem x 29 0 and I have noticed a hairline crack on the weld for the seat tube/top tube junction, the typical failure place.

I've also notice the when riding hard, some times with no weight on the saddle I get loud cracking noises. I get the same noise when I also put my weight back down on the saddle occasionally.

Bike shop says I have to wait for it to break, but I think the cracking noise is sure thing that it will give way soon. This has got worse recently. I only weight 70kgs.

Did anyone else notice any noises before their frames cracked and did it show up as a hairline crack before breaking?

Thanks

Nathan

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoskurner View Post
    Hi guys.
    I have a 2013 anthem x 29 0 and I have noticed a hairline crack on the weld for the seat tube/top tube junction, the typical failure place.

I've also notice the when riding hard, some times with no weight on the saddle I get loud cracking noises. I get the same noise when I also put my weight back down on the saddle occasionally.

Bike shop says I have to wait for it to break, but I think the cracking noise is sure thing that it will give way soon. This has got worse recently. I only weight 70kgs.

Did anyone else notice any noises before their frames cracked and did it show up as a hairline crack before breaking?

Thanks

Nathan
    If there is a hairline crack that you can see you are being given poor advice from the bike shop and I would even go as far to say advice that could get them in legal trouble. A crack is a crack whether it is just starting and you can feel it with your fingernail or you can slip a quarter through it. If the frame is under warranty they should start the warranty process immediately. I would go back and demand they address it.

cowbell
    Hi guys.

Thanks

Nathan
    Two things here. First, if it's cracked, it's cracked. I've had two frames replaced because they were cracked. It's a warranty. You shouldn't have to risk personal injury to have it honored. That's the first thing.

The second thing is, it sounds like you may already HAVE a break. Take a good, long, careful look at the drive side lower shock mount in your downtube. It's probably cracked through just forward of the weld. This is also a common mode of failure for these frames. I broke TWO 2013 frames in that exact same place. I'm now on a brand new 2017 frame that didn't cost me a cent, except the $80 I had to spend to buy the 12x142 through axle conversion kit for the wheel set I put on the bike.

In short, you may have two cracks, and if that shop won't take care of you, take it to another Giant dealer, and then never darken the doorway of the first shop again. The clearly don't value their customers in the least if they won't take care of this for you.

Your Best Friend
    I agree that your current Giant dealer sucks and their counsel is dangerous, at best.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Thanks for the replies.

Dealer reckons its just a paint crack because giant use thick paint, which is the complete opposite to my experiences with giant paint previously. It started out small and has now gone the whole length of the weld...

The fact the paint is cracked across the weld and the noises im getting to me suggests a weakness in that area, which is a known point of weakness.

I may give them another try and see what they say.

Thanks

Nathan

mtbr member
    pull the seatpost, clean the inside and see if you can see or feel a crack on the inside

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcanius View Post
    Developed a small crack on my 2012 Anthem X 29er 1 near the rear shock mounts. Took it to my Giant LBS and got a call the next day to let me know they were sending me a replacement frame and to ask if the new color scheme would be alright. I also had some minor hairline cracking occur around the top tube and seat post junction but not to the extent others have seen.

My riding style is usually described as extremely aggressive but I live in the low country of South Carolina so the average elevation change on a trail is maybe 30 feet; a few small table tops and doubles but that's it. No significant wrecks with it.

My 2013 anthem X 29 has the same hairline cracking on the top tube and lots of clicking noises when riding quite hard. Has anyone else had their frame warrantied for the same cracking as my dealer says its just the paint, but with the clicking noises im hearing I'm guessing it may be something more especially with the noises im getting.

Picture is from a previous post as my blue frame is hard to get a good photo of.

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/gia...ramecrack2.jpg

cowbell
    My 2013 anthem X 29 has the same hairline cracking on the top tube and lots of clicking noises when riding quite hard. Has anyone else had their frame warrantied for the same cracking as my dealer says its just the paint, but with the clicking noises im hearing I'm guessing it may be something more especially with the noises im getting.

Picture is from a previous post as my blue frame is hard to get a good photo of.

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/gia...ramecrack2.jpg
    If you have loud creaking or grinding noises when you're riding, and you've made sure your cranks/BB aren't the culprit, I'll say it again: Check the drive side lower shock mount for cracks. I can see a paint crack in your picture, but I honestly can't tell from the picture if that's all it is or not - that's one of my biggest issues, people post pictures of a frame and ask if it's a scratch or cracked paint or if the frame is breaking - it's hard to tell from a picture. But if you have a lot of noise, it's a break somewhere if you've ruled everything else out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Koen View Post
    I wouldn't buy this garbage at all (unfortunately I have). It's hard to find another frame that fails so often. Says a lot about Giant's attitude towards testers, sorry, customers..
    I have 5 anthems in my Garage ridden by 2 racers and one Clydesdale and zero breakage if these were that shitty I know I would of broke one for sure!
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Just an update.

I have a brand new 2016 frame waiting to be built up in the shop. I took it in and they called giant who accepted it as a warranty claim straight away.

Hopefully the 2016 frame with the revised top tube is longer lasting than before!!

Thanks for the advice regarding pushing to get a replacement.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Might be a little early to tell but has anyone had (or heard of) these type of breakage problems with the 2017 Anthem 29er AL?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    i have the 2017 and they definitely beefed up the top tube/seat tube junction.

cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyChap View Post
    Might be a little early to tell but has anyone had (or heard of) these type of breakage problems with the 2017 Anthem 29er AL?
    I don't have enough milage on mine to be able to say much about it. As Ranger observed, they beefed up the top tube/seat tube junction, but that's not where I've broken the past two frames anyhow. There's not really a lot of change in the lower shock mount, so I figure eventually I'll be getting another frame warrantied.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678