Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Anthem double failure

Broke the seat tube/ top tube junction on my 2012 anthem 29er 4. Less than a month later the linkage. Too much failure for a bike less than a year old. I guess this is not like a car recall where you actually get a fix with new parts. Just the same **** waiting for it to fail 10 miles into a ride and hopefully with no major injury. Thank you again Giant for ****ing my ride up.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

mtbr member
    That's either really bad luck, or you need a stouter bike. I have people ask me how my anthem jumps all the time. They look at me funny when I tell them it doesn't. It's an XC bike, not designed for jumping.

BTW: No one can see your facebook pictures because we aren't your friends.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Ok..thanks on the pics, I really dont let my bike leave the ground. Those days have been over long ago. I really love this bike, brought me back to the days of 20 mile rides and actually enjoying them. I am going to see about maybe trying to upgrade to a trance 29er. I just bought a SID for this bike unfortunately so that wouldnt transfer over as its a 4 inch against 5inch.

mtbr member
    I dropped my bike off at my LBS last Tuesday with the drive side shock mount cracked. Yesterday my new frame arrived. That was faster than I expected. The replacement frame is the '13 X1 frame. Giant moved so fast, I didn't even miss a chance to ride. It's rained EVERY DAY since I dropped the bike off.

Deere Rider
    Anthem X cracked frames.-20130808_175215-copy.jpgAnthem X cracked frames.-20130808_175250-copy.jpgAnthem X cracked frames.-20130808_175320-copy.jpg

Here is my warranty replacement. Cracked the lower shock cradle on my polished '11 aluminum frame. I was offered the opportunity to take this as a replacement for just $300. It came with no shock but I had just PUSHed my RP23 so it worked out perfectly. It's built by now but I'm waiting on the carbon specific seat post clamp to take a first ride.

I would think this option should eliminate the top/seat tube and shock cradle breaks that appear to be the likely problem spots.

I almost thought about selling the new frame but I enjoyed the aluminum version so much I couldn't pull the trigger. When I'm feeling strong and want to drop the hammer and find some speed, the AX29 is near perfection.

Your Best Friend
    Score! Enjoy it. Night and day better than the aluminum model.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130808_175215 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	419 
Size:	237.4 KB 
ID:	823662Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130808_175250 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	454.0 KB 
ID:	823663Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130808_175320 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	486.5 KB 
ID:	823664

Here is my warranty replacement. Cracked the lower shock cradle on my polished '11 aluminum frame. I was offered the opportunity to take this as a replacement for just $300. It came with no shock but I had just PUSHed my RP23 so it worked out perfectly. It's built by now but I'm waiting on the carbon specific seat post clamp to take a first ride.

I would think this option should eliminate the top/seat tube and shock cradle breaks that appear to be the likely problem spots.

I almost thought about selling the new frame but I enjoyed the aluminum version so much I couldn't pull the trigger. When I'm feeling strong and want to drop the hammer and find some speed, the AX29 is near perfection.

With replacement warranty Service like that how can you go wrong.
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 12-12-2013 at 09:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Anthem X cracked frames.-13581_10151633801353335_1348122624_n.jpg
    Just noticed this when I was cleaning my bike. 2013 AX2 29 XL, just over three months old and roughly 15 races/rides done. Lets see what my LBS has to say,

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by koedi View Post

Name:	13581_10151633801353335_1348122624_n.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	824282
    Just noticed this when I was cleaning my bike. 2013 AX2 29 XL, just over three months old and roughly 15 races/rides done. Lets see what my LBS has to say,
    I'm not discounting this, and it sucks, but even though we are seeing a few of these in this thread...I'm wondering about the sample size. We've been selling these since they came out and have had ZERO returned for warranty because of a break. Not saying it won't happen but you'd get the impression after reading this thread that they are all breaking. And...if that was the case, I'd have at least seen one of them, right? Just curious and thinking out loud.

Deere Rider

That's exactly where my '11 cracked...same side too.

Deere Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    I'm not discounting this, and it sucks, but even though we are seeing a few of these in this thread...I'm wondering about the sample size. We've been selling these since they came out and have had ZERO returned for warranty because of a break. Not saying it won't happen but you'd get the impression after reading this thread that they are all breaking. And...if that was the case, I'd have at least seen one of them, right? Just curious and thinking out loud.
    Agreed. There's a LOT of AX29s on the trails. Granted, we don't see nearly all the cracked frames in this thread but I imagine that has been a fairly high volume bike for Giant over the past few years.

Deere Rider
    Before and after photos with my warranty replacement. I think I still like the polished look the best but I like the carbon frame better for durability reasons.

Anthem X cracked frames.-2013-03-26_18-55-47_85.jpgAnthem X cracked frames.-20130814_181130.jpg

davidcarson48
    I love the Smurf blue.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    Agreed. There's a LOT of AX29s on the trails. Granted, we don't see nearly all the cracked frames in this thread but I imagine that has been a fairly high volume bike for Giant over the past few years.
    Forums (Internet) are quited biased on topics like this one, negative feedback is much more common than positive. Anyway, sometimes stuff breaks and it sucks, but that's just bad luck. Then you hope that warranty process goes smoothly.

mtbr member

You should have no problems with this. That's *exactly* where my 2013 AX2 29er frame crack two weeks ago. The shop had my new frame 6 days from when I dropped my bike off. I'd have the bike back by now, except the shop had to order a pressfit removal tool, and the plastic shell on my bottom bracket had an issue when they got it out, so SRAM is warranty replacing that - which may be in today. So, you should have no problems.

Silentfoe - I agree, I don't think, percentage wise, that many of these frames are breaking. My LBS is a relatively small shop, and I bet they've sold 5 AL Anthems in this area in the past two years. They sell a lot more Trances, for some reason. I'm not certain about the milage on some of these bikes, but mine had some good milage on it, and I'm certain it sees a fair amount more stress than it would from a typical user in spite of my sticking to "cross country" and no jumping policy for this frame. I've got very strong legs, and somewhere, a friend of mine amused himself one day by noticing how much a frame I was riding flexed when I was hammering on it. It at amused him so much, he mounted a camera to the frame - so there's video, but I don't think he's posted it anywhere. I'm no engineer, but it looks to me like if you apply a load to the cranks that's going to cause this frame to flex, there's going to be a LOT of stress on that little bit right there. Now, I'm not saying the design is inadequate, rather, imagine how many of these things are made. Any instability in the power at the factory during the welding of this spot could cause that point to be weaker than it should. Someone else mentioned the possibility of annealing issues - a cold spot next to the door of the oven. Either way, with the numbers produced, even a very small percentage of errors could account for these breaks.

But here's the bottom line, and the beautiful part: Giant understands stuff like this can happen. They believe they do a quality job, building quality frames, and they're willing to stand behind all of them, and make good the few that fail, for whatever reason, thus offering a lifetime warranty to the original buyer. Thus far, it appears to me they have been golden about honoring that warranty. They certainly were on top of mine. I couldn't ask for better service from Giant, or from my LBS. And really, that makes the fact that my frame failed ok with me. The warranty is part of the reason I bought the bike....well, that and the fact the nothing else in the price range can touch the Maestro suspension.

Your Best Friend
    I think you came out ahead. IMO the polished frames looked awful.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Lets see what my LBS has to say,
    Just a status update. LBS made reclamation two weeks ago, no news from Giant.

mtbr member
    That seems strange. I don't know if things work differently, or more slowly where you are, but honestly, my LBS received my new frame 6 days after I dropped my bike off there.

Your Best Friend
    That is on your LBS. I'll bet they either forgot until you bugged them or they just did it wrong somehow. All it takes is a 2 minute phone call to their local rep and the new frame would be on the way. Piece of cake.

mtbr member
    Just a status update. LBS made reclamation two weeks ago, no news from Giant.
    I had my new frame within five days. I'd be suspect of your LBS vs Giant.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I broke my XTC at the seat tube top tube intersection but since I had the bike painted it voided the warranty but they did offer me a crash replacement and it was at the LBS in less than a week.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    My lovely shiny AX11 29 is no more, on a downhill stretch, flicked a stone up into the bottom of the down tube rather hard and did this.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Getting a crash replacement frame through Giant and it'll be built up within a week but wanted to share my misfortune.

mtbr member
    Shoulda just kept riding it f it's straight - soon enough you'd have got a new frame from a warranty crack

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Not the best angle on the picture but there is a large deep dent which is obviously a stone hit. To be honest didn't trust riding further on it, the cracking is right under the suspension pivot / crank which probably has a lot of force going through it, definitely don't want that failing under a high load situation.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NullAndVoid View Post
    Not the best angle on the picture but there is a large deep dent which is obviously a stone hit. To be honest didn't trust riding further on it, the cracking is right under the suspension pivot / crank which probably has a lot of force going through it, definitely don't want that failing under a high load situation.
    Actually, you'd have been fine. My 2011 Alu X1 26'er frame had 2 big dents there (both significantly bigger than that one) with no issues for 2 years (both from large rocks kicked up by the front tire on fast firetrail decents. Seemed to like doing that, had lots of impacts on cranks and toes for the same reason). It looks alot worse than it is because it's on the outside of the curve too.

The frame is actually very strong around that area, and significanlty reinforced, unlike the toptube/seattube interface, which failed on me a few months ago, with most of the load not going through the bottom of the downtube there (most goes through the vertical peice welded above that the suspension is attached to), so as long as it's straight apart from the dent, no issues. If it was higher up the downtube, I might be worried, but not there.

Was glad I didn't take it in for crash replacement myself when the first one happened about 2 months after purchasing it. Was due to upgrade about now, so getting the warrenty replacement for the cracked toptube (new SL0 full carbon for no cost!), meant I could sell it without having people put off by the dents (after all it's a never riden frame now).

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast