Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Silentfoe,

There is 4 cracks in my frame. The rock caused 1. Check the picture above, there is 2 in the downtube on the side.

The only one I dont have a picture of is the bottom bracket one under the link, had a pic but destroyed that phone.

They are not warranting it for the impact damage, but the 3 other cracks. I took it in when I found the first one on the bottom bracket. They wanted to do nothing. I took it again when I found the two on the downtube and they wanted to do nothing again. When I took it in to get the downtube checked for structural they again wanted to do nothing.

I took it to another shop that sent in pictures of the downtube and bottom bracket cracks and giant justified the replacement.

Dont understand why you're hellbent on me putting giant out of business and you didnt even look at the pictures or read the story. The lbs I bought the bike at was lazy.

I'm getting a new frame and im happy as a clam. I'll remain a happy customer and still recomend giants. This is my 3rd anthem and i've only had an issue with 1 that was handled.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Utahbikemike View Post
    Silentfoe,

There is 4 cracks in my frame. The rock caused 1. Check the picture above, there is 2 in the downtube on the side.

The only one I dont have a picture of is the bottom bracket one under the link, had a pic but destroyed that phone.

They are not warranting it for the impact damage, but the 3 other cracks. I took it in when I found the first one on the bottom bracket. They wanted to do nothing. I took it again when I found the two on the downtube and they wanted to do nothing again. When I took it in to get the downtube checked for structural they again wanted to do nothing.

I took it to another shop that sent in pictures of the downtube and bottom bracket cracks and giant justified the replacement.

Dont understand why you're hellbent on me putting giant out of business and you didnt even look at the pictures or read the story. The lbs I bought the bike at was lazy.

I'm getting a new frame and im happy as a clam. I'll remain a happy customer and still recomend giants. This is my 3rd anthem and i've only had an issue with 1 that was handled.
    Ya if my frame had those cracks in the bottom tube near the head tube as you pictured Id be pitching a fit also, Sure the rock damage doesn't warrant a free replacement but I can see where you are coming from on those other cracks, Glad they took care of you Giant rocks
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

My Frame just cracked too 2014 29er X 2

Anthem X cracked frames.-wp_20141220_10_13_39_pro.jpg

Oh of course it would break 5 days before XMAS. arrrggghhhhh

Lets see how this plays out

cowbell
    The timing sucks, but I'm sure they'll take care of you. Too many other people here with breaks that have been handled very well in a timely way for them to screw up very much. If it happens as quickly for you as it did me, you'll be on a new frame before the new year.

rubber side down
    Quote Originally Posted by Utahbikemike View Post
    Well, an update.

It had everything to do with my lbs.

I understand the impact damage was not warranty. The only reason I was mad about it was the sheer size of the rock that did it. It was about the size of a quarter. I've taken rocks bigger than potatoes to the downtube with no issues.

My biggest concern was the 4 other paint cracks forming on the frame. My first one appeared 3 months into my ownership. I've had this frame 9 months, I cringed thinking about what it will look like in a couple years. I'd never be able to resell it, ever.

I took it to another shop, they sent in pictures and they're warranting it under the giant 1yr paint clause. Giant stepped up for me and I'll be a loyal lifetime giant customer now.

Only bad thing is that large frames are on backorder until march or so, but they ordered me one and are letting me ride this frame until it gets in. Can't be happier and will be ordering a defy advanced 2 come springtime.
    Buy one of these for your new frame;
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anthem X cracked frames.-rockgardz.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by misterbill View Post
    You must be really bored if you have read this entire post.

rubber side down
    Quote Originally Posted by ryrager View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20141220_10_13_39_Pro.jpg 
Views:	1129 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	948239

Ouch, how'd you do this?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Same.....

Xmas morning ride through the forest and BANG. Anthem 2013 29er X1 with less then 500k's on it. (Im mainly a roadie). Pretty disappointing to say the least! Went on a smooth forest trail.

Anthem X cracked frames.-image1.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Did mine yesterday
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anthem X cracked frames.-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Took mine in to get the paperwork started and the shop was very unsurprised. They had 2 others on the go at the same time! Apparently the current model has reinforcing to avoid this very problem. FWIW.

Don't Tread on Me
    Anthem X cracked frames.-20150213_094305.jpg

My riding buddy and I have been riding and racing Anthem 29ers since 2011 without a single issue other than rear suspension bolts loosening with new bikes. I still haven't broken one but last week my buddy broke his 2012 XL during an XC race. Needless to say, a DNF.

Kudos to Giant for an immediate shipment of a replacement frame. Great model and a great company.

Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Third Cracked Frame - Eau Claire Bike and Sport is amazing.

Been riding this mostly on single track trails with no drop-offs more than a double curb...this is my third cracked frame. I'm 225# and this is 75 miles on this frame. This is also the second time it's cracked next to the Maestro pivot on the down tube. My LBS (Eau Claire Bike and Sport, Eau Claire WI) has been monumental at getting me replacement frames quickly and free. Zero problems with Terry and Ryan...highly recommend.

Giant did not offer a replacement for this frame, simply a credit to purchase another Giant product....unfortunately they are heavy into 27.5's now. Probably getting another Anthem X 29er because I thought the 27.5's seemed like a kids bike when I was at the local demo ride. Got back on my Anthem and it was like getting on the right bike after riding the 27.5.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anthem X cracked frames.-20150416_180543.jpg  

Anthem X cracked frames.-20150416_180706.jpg  

rubber side down
    What year is that? Do you "sit heavy" when riding?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    The frame is a pre-2015 frame. I didn't ask when the frame was replaced. I believe it's a 2013/2014 paint scheme....if that gets you close

I don't understand 'sit heavy'....I weigh 225 pounds and stay in the saddle as long as possible on flats and uphills and am out of the saddle (almost all the time) on downhills. If the trail gets undulating, I don't stand, I hover......

I also don't understand 'XC' vs 'Trail' bikes. My riding buddy has a Trance X 29er that cracked the frame in the same spot...I think that's a 'Trail' bike? Aren't we crossing the country when we are on the trails? I was told by my LBS that the Trance X would be a better match for the type of riding I do.

I ride his bike thinking the front tire is waaaaaay out there and the geometry, although acceptable on the Trance, isn't as comfortable to me as the Anthem. I won't ride an uncomfortable bike because it suits my riding terrain...I'm going to ride what's comfortable regardless of what's under the tires.

Regardless, we ride the same terrain, same thing happened to his bike...so that point is moot.

P.S. The Trance X is MUCH better equipped (Amazing Guide RS brakes, Tubeless, Carbon Bars/Seat Post, Mavic superlight rims, etc..etc...etc...) than my relatively stock Anthem X and I still prefer my geometry.

mtbr member
    Maybe try getting carbon frame replacement. It's definitely stronger than aluminium.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    If the 2015 doesn't hold up...it's something to pursue.

rubber side down
    Quote Originally Posted by OntheRedline View Post

I don't understand 'sit heavy'....I weigh 225 pounds and stay in the saddle as long as possible on flats and uphills and am out of the saddle (almost all the time) on downhills. If the trail gets undulating, I don't stand, I hover......
    Hard to explain, but meaning do you 'unweight' your body while in the saddle when the trail gets rough?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    If I take your meaning....my answer would be yes and no.

If I have the chance to hover or push down with both feet when the trail gets rough, I do. If I am going down the trail and am fully weighted in the seat and a few roots or bumps (even 1.5" high) come up, that's what I use my suspension for...to soak them up. If I'm pedaling, then no, I do not unweight my body, even if the trail is rough. I can't imagine doing that and still having any power in my legs after a mile or so.

rubber side down
    I was asking because I'm a bigger dude (215lbs) and I ride fairly hard. I check my 2014 Anthem for cracking almost after every ride.

My 2014 seems to have a beefier section where the seat and top tube meet

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I just got down to 216 pounds.....so I'm with you. I 'think' my last frame was a 2014 because it did have a much larger weld than the previous two frames. The 2015 I am riding now not only has a larger weld, but the top tube is larger where it meets the seat tube.

I am gun shy as well, full inspection after every ride. Thanks for all the help.

mtbr member
    May 2015

2 cracked Anthem frames

I had a 2013 Anthem 29er, cracked the frame 2 months ago, and then cracked the second, newer frame yesterday. 2 cracked Anthems in 2 months. I think there is a design flaw for sure.Anthem X cracked frames.-img_4190.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I cracked my 2013 two months ago, Giant replaced it with a 2015 frame, which I cracked that one yesterday. Two broken Anthem frames in 2 short months. Very unhappy.

cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by adamjkeller View Post
    I cracked my 2013 two months ago, Giant replaced it with a 2015 frame, which I cracked that one yesterday. Two broken Anthem frames in 2 short months. Very unhappy.
    Did they both break in the same place? What sort of riding do you do?

"El Whatever"
    Any reports on cracks/failures on 2014/2015 27.5 Anthems?
    Thanks!
    Check my Site

cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Any reports on cracks/failures on 2014/2015 27.5 Anthems?
    Thanks!
    I haven't heard any. Keep in mind, that's a completely different frame, my notion, looking at it, is that it's a much more heavily built frame than the 29er, it seems thicker in all the areas that have been problems.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I just bought my 2015 Anthem X and I will confess its sad reading these posts. I weigh 255lbs, I guess I should just plan on the day coming when it will break and pray im not to far away from home. The fact they will give me a new frame to break does not make me feel much better. Perhaps the 2015s are stronger. I don't see as many broken 2015s in this thread. Regardless, im starting to feel buyers remorse creep in based soley on breaking potential. The bike itself rides incredibly well and it comes with a great gearing and suspension system.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMc2006 View Post
    I just bought my 2015 Anthem X and I will confess its sad reading these posts. I weigh 255lbs, I guess I should just plan on the day coming when it will break and pray im not to far away from home. The fact they will give me a new frame to break does not make me feel much better. Perhaps the 2015s are stronger. I don't see as many broken 2015s in this thread. Regardless, im starting to feel buyers remorse creep in based soley on breaking potential. The bike itself rides incredibly well and it comes with a great gearing and suspension system.
    If its a X29er ya I would be a little worried they are basiclly the older frames with a different paintjob i have one also, but if its a 27 no worries! Im 215lb all kitted out and we have had 5 Anthem Xs beat the crap out of them and no cracks.. ride light in the saddle as much as you can...

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman View Post
    If its a X29er ya I would be a little worried they are basiclly the older frames with a different paintjob i have one also, but if its a 27 no worries! Im 215lb all kitted out and we have had 5 Anthem Xs beat the crap out of them and no cracks.. ride light in the saddle as much as you can...
    Its a 29er, I am wondering if there is a correlation between frames braking and the strength of the wheelset. If I had a stronger/more durable wheelset would that reduce the risk of the frame braking.

mtbr member
    Its a 29er, I am wondering if there is a correlation between frames braking and the strength of the wheelset. If I had a stronger/more durable wheelset would that reduce the risk of the frame braking.

No the 26ers broke the same, On the 2015 29ers they just used the same frame design that can break. that said they have sold 10s of thousands frames that didn't break I truly think alot of breakage depends on weight and riding style, if these are so fragile I should of broke one buy now being a Clydesdale but I grew up riding hard tails and am really light in the saddle, and I treat my bikes like they are Xc rigs not AM no seated pushes in the rough or hucks and jumps..

cowbell
    I wouldn't sweat it. I was looking at a new Anthem 29er frame in a shop the other day. They've beefed up the two areas that broke all the time. As long as you use the bike like a cross country bike, and don't go jumping it, you'll likely be fine. Plus, the frames listed as broken in this thread are a very, very small fraction of a percentage of all the Anthem frames sold. Don't let this get you down. You bought a fantastic bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    I wouldn't sweat it. I was looking at a new Anthem 29er frame in a shop the other day. They've beefed up the two areas that broke all the time. As long as you use the bike like a cross country bike, and don't go jumping it, you'll likely be fine. Plus, the frames listed as broken in this thread are a very, very small fraction of a percentage of all the Anthem frames sold. Don't let this get you down. You bought a fantastic bike.
    Thanks, i am still fairly new to mtn biking and I don't ride super fast and the wheels stay on the ground. I'm 51, my healthy fear of crashing keeps me from getting to brave. However I do use knee and elbow pads ""just in case". Also thanks for the encouragement regarding the frame breaking it was starting to mess with my head.

mtbr member
    V
    I don't think it has anything to do with jumping or hucking - it does have to do with a marathon type riding style, and decent miles. When I broke mine I had been doing a solid minimum of 7 hours a week and max 11 hours a week 100% off-road for 2 years - that was 3 times the previous bikes kms and and about 5 times more than the bike before that.
    If you ride 5 times a week every week, then sure , choose another bike, but any clysdale that Breaks an anthem won't be a Clydesdale by the time they break it

mtbr member
    Anthem X cracked frames.-img_20150627_071953790.jpg
    What year were you looking at My 2015 X 29 is exactly like my 2012 at the seatpost to toptube joint ? go back to post #320 thats a picture of a cracked 2015

cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman View Post

Name:	IMG_20150627_071953790.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	998282

What year were you looking at My 2015 X 29 is exactly like my 2012 at the seatpost to toptube joint ? go back to post #320 thats a picture of a cracked 2015
    Looking at a 2013 vs a new 2015. Now, they weren't sitting side by side, so maybe the top tube is the same. But the area around the lower shock mount is very, very different.

Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy View Post
    V

I don't think it has anything to do with jumping or hucking - it does have to do with a marathon type riding style, and decent miles. When I broke mine I had been doing a solid minimum of 7 hours a week and max 11 hours a week 100% off-road for 2 years - that was 3 times the previous bikes kms and and about 5 times more than the bike before that.
    If you ride 5 times a week every week, then sure , choose another bike, but any clysdale that Breaks an anthem won't be a Clydesdale by the time they break it
    To be sure, overall fatigue of the frame can be a huge factor. It's aluminum after all. Aluminum frames DO have a finite lifetime. But the Anthem frame in particular is a VERY light weight frame, and you only get a frame that light by taking material off the frame. That's going to weaken it. So, the design and intended purpose of the frame is XC, and XC is not hucking stuff, it's wheels on the ground pedaling hard and going fast. These are two very different kinds of stress to put on a frame. So yes, I broke my frame in one year without jumping/hucking stuff. But I'm a clyde, and not because I'm fat. I'm 6'4" and if I had 8% body fat, I'd weigh 185 at best, but I'm more of a normal guy, and weigh 215. I'm just a big guy. Riding more isn't going to make me less big. A strict diet of rabbit food might, but it's not like I eat junk food, I don't drink soda at all, and on the whole, I'm pretty healthy. But I'm still a clyde, and I'd be willing to be I could break a brand new Anthem frame in one day by jumping it. My current frame is 2 years old. It's in the shop right now having the BB, all pivot bearings, fork lowers (don't ask) replaced and everything else gone over and tuned up - because it goes a lot of miles. And it stays on the ground.

So I'm not disagreeing that milage can be a huge factor in a frame breaking, but I object to the idea that if I, or another clyde, rides enough we won't be clydes anymore. I'm not fat, and I'm not going to shrink because I ride a bike, or I'd have bought a medium, not a large. And jumping a bike that isn't intended to be jumped will break it, especially if a muff the landing.

mtbr member
    It's really weird how that some people tend to break frames.
    Personally, I know only 1 person who had broken an xc bike (alu ht) and a lot of people have them.
    It's either manufacturing defect or poor structural design, otherwise you'd have to break several wheelsets before the frame and that would give you a clue you are perhaps riding your bike with a finesse compared to that of a bear.

cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinCRO View Post
    It's really weird how that some people tend to break frames.
    Personally, I know only 1 person who had broken an xc bike (alu ht) and a lot of people have them.
    It's either manufacturing defect or poor structural design, otherwise you'd have to break several wheelsets before the frame and that would give you a clue you are perhaps riding your bike with a finesse compared to that of a bear.
    I've noticed too that some people are "prone" to breaking frames, while others aren't. Personally, I'm one of those who IS prone to breaking frames. It's why I bought a bike with a lifetime frame warranty. I've also broken chains on single speeds, and my last SS frame that I broke, I took the wheels off that, and put them on my new SS frame without having to true them (I checked - they were still true). On my Anthem frame, one of the guys at my LBS put the break down to me making huge power in bigger gears rather than shifting down into an easier gear. I think it's very possible to break frames without breaking wheels, but yes, I think if you're constantly folding wheels, that's a sign your technique needs a little work.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    They have finally 'admitted' it was poor design that caused so many frames to crack; just have a look at the 2016 Anthem X Aluxx frame and yuo clearly see the difference. The 2016 top tube has been redesigned and instead of slimming down where connected to the seat tube the added 'extra' tube. Also in 2016 they let go of the quick release at the back wheel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    An update to this forum turned up in my inbox, so 17 months later I thought I'd have a look.
    My 2009 X1 26er (That looks rather like a 2014 X1 27.5) is still going strong and Cotharyus is still telling you all to buy one, ride the crap out of it and take it back under warranty smile as you receive your upgrade and go and ride the crap out of it.
    My 2009 was 5.6 years old when I waved goodbye at the bike shop. With most other brands I'd have been waving bye to a few $k at the bikeshop as the warranty would have been expired from between 0.6 & 2.6 years. I'm still smiling.
    Friends with Anthems are offering me their bikes to ride in the hope I can crack theirs to and get a nice upgrade. At this rate though, I wont have to ride mine for a while.

Why do they crack? (I'm an engineer by the way) They are a fatigue failure (riding the crap out of it), not an overload failure (Jumping etc). I'm a bit of a tractor. Reasonably heavy and a lot of torque (not to mention talk). I like playing in the hills and tend to twist the bars hammering up the hills (so I don't bob on the forks. If you've ever been on a bike trainer with the rear triangle locked down and do a big sprint or grind, you'll see how much the frame actually flexes. For whatever reason (and as an example it could be the frames are flexible somewhere else (like in the downtube again as an example. (I say this as the 09 frames downtubes are almost a square section and square sections are far less torsionally stiff than round sections)) and even stiff somewhere else (top tube in lateral bending lets say) and that produces a lot of stress on the seatpost joint, and its just not big enough to take it. Add some heat affected zone for the weld and away we go.

(I.E. The seatpost joint design may be fine on a frame of different design elsewhere on the frame)

Again.
    No. of frames cracked globally 1000's *
    No of frames sold globally. 1,000,000's
    Therefore overall probability of an anthem frame cracking .001 0.1%
    Overall probability of me recommending giant due to the awesome warranty 1.0 (100%)

*(Not forgetting that the probability of finding people talking about cracked frames on a forum about cracked frames is 1 (100%) so stop worrying, get out there and ride the crap out of it)
    Ride it like you stole it, and the owner is chasing you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Brambo67 View Post
    They have finally 'admitted' it was poor design that caused so many frames to crack; just have a look at the 2016 Anthem X Aluxx frame and yuo clearly see the difference. The 2016 top tube has been redesigned and instead of slimming down where connected to the seat tube the added 'extra' tube. Also in 2016 they let go of the quick release at the back wheel.
    So, a little over a month after the previous post it happened to me as well. My frame is starting to crack. Contacted my LBS and put in a warranty claim. I told them not to accept a frame older than the 2016 models as they all have the same faulty design. The 2016 top tube - horizontal tube is different, much stronger. Does mean not biking for a while....

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Brambo67 View Post
    So, a little over a month after the previous post it happened to me as well. My frame is starting to crack. Contacted my LBS and put in a warranty claim. I told them not to accept a frame older than the 2016 models as they all have the same faulty design. The 2016 top tube - horizontal tube is different, much stronger. Does mean not biking for a while....
    Having downtime for bike repairs or suspension servicing is super annoying, perfect justification then to have more than one bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    My 2008 Giant Anthem also cracked at same juncture, but I am unsure they will cover the frame due to the year. If they send me a 27.5 frame, no problem, as I have a wheelset. I Broke Quit a few Specialized frames, and they told me to take a hike. Ended up sending me a down hill frame in place of a Stumpy Pro frame. I am thinking with all the problems they are having with frame breakage, that Giant also will go the same route. And I really liked that bike, but glad I have a backup.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by stu8975 View Post
    Never heard of any regular Anthems with cracked frames. As for lifetime warranty??? 5 years for giant suspension frames (taken from owners manual version 8.0), 10 years for hardtails.
    I was told they have life on all frames, from 2 dealers

cowbell
    They have a new version of the Anthem 29er frame that has been built a little stronger in the problem areas. There's no reason they shouldn't send you a new frame, I wouldn't sweat it. Warranty is lifetime on all Giant frames, it's one of the reasons I bought one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Piling on an old thread...Giant just replaced my 2014 Anthem X29er 1 frame with a new 2016 Anthem 29er frame. The 2014 frame developed a crack in the webbing of the lower shock mount in the BB area. It was quick with no questions asked. About 10 days to get the new frame. Converted to 12x142 thru axle on rear since the frame came that way. Dropped in a new PF BB, and had to have the upper headset bearing race punched out of new frame and replaced with one from old frame. Giant switched from Overdrive 2 (2014) to Overdrive (2016). Plus the 2016 frame has internal shifter cable routing. Giant did right by me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

same model cracked too (Athens Greece)

Quote Originally Posted by ryrager View Post

Name:	WP_20141220_10_13_39_Pro.jpg 
Views:	1129 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	948239

Too sad:

Anthem X cracked frames.-anthem-cracked.jpg

cowbell
    It's looking like you can chalk me up for a second one, appears broken in exactly the same place as my first frame, drive side lower shock mount. First frame was a 2013 X2, second is a 2013 X1. When I talk to the shop, I'm going to see if I can get them to pull for a newer year frame with the updated top tube junction and shock mount. My only question is, it looks like they went back to regular tapered forks when they changed up the frames - will an OD2 headset still fit the newer frames, or will I need a new fork? Anyone?

Your Best Friend
    They did go back but you won't need to change a thing. The frames are standard taper but the steerer and upper headset bearing were 1.25. They both fit in the standard frame.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    They did go back but you won't need to change a thing. The frames are standard taper but the steerer and upper headset bearing were 1.25. They both fit in the standard frame.
    Thanks, that's good to know. I dropped my bike off a little before lunch yesterday, and the shop called me before 2 - a 2017 frame is being shipped out no later than today for me. The shop and Giant are really on their game, I specifically asked the shop if they could try to get one of the re-designed frames that fixed the shock mount and top tube problem areas.

mtbr member
    I think you will need 142x12 rear hub. New anthems have through axle rear end.

Your Best Friend
    Yes, they do have that axle.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinCRO View Post
    I think you will need 142x12 rear hub. New anthems have through axle rear end.
    Handled. I snagged a set of Rolf wheels last year when my stock hub started to show signs of being done (you couldn't tighten the play out of it without it starting to drag badly) and went for the model with SRAM xD support and a convertible hub to future proof it (thanks boost?) so I'm confirm with rolf the kit I need and getting that on the way as well.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567