Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSkillet View Post
    Is this an issue with Carbon or Aluxx frames? Think the 2014 will address these issues?
    It's the Aluxx. I haven't heard about any non-crash failures of the advanced (carbon) ones.

If there's a redesign involved in the 2014, it would be AMAZING if they failed to fix it. It would actually be sad--there was a recall in 2011 and they have kept producing the exact same design for two more model years? If they don't resolve it with a new design, they are either bad engineers or don't care. I don't believe either of those things are true, I'm guessing it was just a business decision to deal with the design issues for a couple years until it was time to re-visit it.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Wow really? I've finally narrowed down my bike choice to the Anthem x 29er a few days ago. Kinda makes me want to wait for 2014's come out to see if they address the "issue"

mtbr member
    I'm going to question the idea that this is a straight up design problem or that a minor tweak wasn't made to fix it. Here's why: It's straight up illegal to sell something that's been recalled for safety issues. So there are a number of options here. Either the 2011 bikes that were recalled were produced with a bad batch of tubes, or they've changed something in the process that should solve the problem. Most of the cracks I saw in frames looked like they were right across the front side of the weld connecting the top tube to the seat post. Being right across the front edge of the weld indicates a possibility that someone got a setting wrong when they made that weld. It's just a thought.

On a brighter note, I've had my 2013 Anthem X2 for almost 10 months. I ride frequently, and I ride it pretty hard, although my riding probably mostly falls well within the bounds of XC that the Anthem was designed for. I weigh just north of 200 lbs, and my frame is in good shape so far.

davidcarson48

Re: Anthem X cracked frames.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSkillet View Post
    Wow really? I've finally narrowed down my bike choice to the Anthem x 29er a few days ago. Kinda makes me want to wait for 2014's come out to see if they address the "issue"
    Buy the 2013 if it's discounted. If you break it, you'll end up with the 2014 frame anyway.

Team Vitrin Hungary
    Jun 2011
    I'm adding another photo to the topic. My buddy's 2010 2011 Anthem X frame in size M has just cracked today during a regular ride. He has ~12000km (~7500mi) in the frame.

http://i.imgur.com/pqVlZjJ.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I think we'd need to know how many Anthem's were sold and how many are cracking. It's quite possible that these cracked frames are from a bad batch. Perhaps a bad session of welding or some other issue?

mtbr member
    There are 2 issues,

1 bad design
    2 bad welds

In some of the 2011's there were bad welds on top of the bad design , and so failure rate was very high. Subsequently it's just been bad design so riders who sit and run longish seat posts would put the most force on the area, and even then generally it takes some thousands of kms for the crack to develop.

I do not believe its a safety issue, as the bike doesn't break in 2 - it's a triangle, so when one angle disconnects , the other 2 hold it together

So far then pictures of the 2014 anthems seem to have redesigned this area in line with the trance

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy View Post
    So far then pictures of the 2014 anthems seem to have redesigned this area in line with the trance
    I don't think so. The only frames I've seen that look like they are "redesigned" are the 27.5" anthem frames, I don't think the 29er has been changed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    I don't think so. The only frames I've seen that look like they are "redesigned" are the 27.5" anthem frames, I don't think the 29er has been changed.
    All I've seen are spy pics and unlabelled giant pics , but they are consistent for the junction on the 27.5, the xtc and the carbon. I'm extrapolating , but what we need is a confirmed 2014 colour way in Aluxx in a 29 er. All pictures point to a change, confirmation requires a specific from giant - a week or 2 perhaps?

More to the point I haven't seen any pics of a 2014 colour way with the current design.

mtbr member
    I've seen the 2014 dealer catalog. The 29er frames haven't changed in those pictures. Hence my suspicion that you've been seeing 27.5 frames.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

another one bites the dust. 2012 Anthem X 29er. I wonder what color frame the replacement will be...

mtbr member
    I've seen the 2014 dealer catalog. The 29er frames haven't changed in those pictures. Hence my suspicion that you've been seeing 27.5 frames.
    Well obviously not enough people are cracking them then. Other possible, is their plan is to move over to carbon only for the anthem 29 er in 2015, and so couldn't be bothered to change their frame design.

In the races I go to, almost every other giant anthem is a replacement frame - ie because I know the shock frame combos, I ask other riders where theirs cracked- it's always the same answer. It's obviously not a proper survey because it misses the 95% of owners who don't race, and probably do a 1000km or less a year.

mtbr member
    Well obviously not enough people are cracking them then. Other possible, is their plan is to move over to carbon only for the anthem 29 er in 2015, and so couldn't be bothered to change their frame design.

In the races I go to, almost every other giant anthem is a replacement frame - ie because I know the shock frame combos, I ask other riders where theirs cracked- it's always the same answer. It's obviously not a proper survey because it misses the 95% of owners who don't race, and probably do a 1000km or less a year.
    Or it could be that they aren't planning on continuing to make the 29er at all, pending how sales of the 27.5 anthem stack up. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Does this thread cover both 26 and 29er Anthem frames? Are both frames having similar issues?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    just got mine back yesterday. same exact frame so hopefully this one doesn't break! i had to buy a new bottom bracket for $60.00 and other than that no charge on the swap. the bike shop did use zip ties instead of c-clips so I may have to swap them back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by enfig View Post
    Giant was quite good with the frame replacement for me (although they refused to change the Anthem 29 frameset for a Trance 29, even if I was willing to pay a price difference).
    In less than a week a 2012 X0Attachment 795582Attachment 795583 whole frameset arrived with a brand new shock. They rear shock mount seems to be the same design as my 2011 frame; I hope that this one doesn’t break.
    Here are photos of the crack and my new ride.
    Is that the drive side shock mound where it's welded to the seat tube? Pretty certain my frame has just cracked right there. I wanted to make sure I was seeing what I think I am as far as what's cracked there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I raced and trail rode my 2010 x3 for over 1,000 miles and no problems. And i weigh 175+ lbs but i do keep my pivots greased!

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by rlucky82 View Post
    I raced and trail rode my 2010 x3 for over 1,000 miles and no problems.
    That's it? I've had my 13 Advanced 0 since September, put over 1600 miles on it and I weigh 200lbs. I don't see your point I guess.

Sometimes things break. It doesn't seem like there is a single contributing factor to these broken frames.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post

Sometimes things break. It doesn't seem like there is a single contributing factor to these broken frames.
    Yeah, there's certainly no point I can put my finger on where I feel like "oh, that's what did it" - in fact, I've had my bike less than a year, have somewhere around 900 miles on it, and oddly, two weeks ago sent it to the shop to have the suspension serviced. I've ridden it 3 times since then, and the mechanic who did the suspension service was riding with me when I found the break. So I'm going to say it's a pretty solid case, given the location of the break (right along the front edge of a weld) that there was a manufacturing issue with the frame.

When you build so many of something, no matter how high your quality standards are, no matter what your inspection process is, it's possible for some variation - perhaps it was a drop in current from the electrical provider at the factory? - to cause a weld that LOOKS fine to have some problem. That's why Giant chooses to put lifetime warranties on their frames, and why they inspect this stuff for crash damage, abuse, etc. It would be very easy to try to abuse the warranty, but it's designed to allow for occasional manufacturing problems.

Team Velveeta™

Heat Treating?

... So I'm going to say it's a pretty solid case, given the location of the break (right along the front edge of a weld) that there was a manufacturing issue with the frame.

When you build so many of something, no matter how high your quality standards are, no matter what your inspection process is, it's possible for some variation - perhaps it was a drop in current from the electrical provider at the factory? ...
    I broke my 2013 Aluxx X 1 after 1200-1400 relatively easy miles between January and April when I'm not able to get into the mountains to ride the really punishing stuff. They replaced it with a 2012, and I've got almost 2000 quite intense miles on that one now with no trouble (knock wood).

One idea I had: heat treating. When aluminum frames are welded up, the places where the tubing got heated up have a different molecular structure than the places that didn't get hot. So after the frames have been stuck together and before they are painted, they are put into an oven and heated up to anneal the stresses from welding.

They probably do this with a very large oven. What if the temperature near the door to the oven is lower temperature or not as consistent as in the center? What if your frame was hanging on a hook near the door rather than in the middle? What if for some reason during the time your frame was being heat treated, the oven didn't get quite hot enough, or the frame wasn't left in there for quite long enough?

That said, I still contend that the design of the Anthem main triangle is flawed. Design is more than just a blueprint: it's a production plan. What weight of tubing, what method of welding, what heat and duration of heat treatment, etc. When the finished product gets pooped out at the end of the production process, if it has a relatively high failure rate, and a relatively consistent failure mode, something has been missed along the way.

For my part, I'm really pleased that my replacement frame is holding up. The bike really suits my needs right now. It fits me well, it performs very well. I like it. I really hope that mine now is one of the ones that's going to last.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    All I've seen are spy pics and unlabelled giant pics , but they are consistent for the junction on the 27.5, the xtc and the carbon. I'm extrapolating , but what we need is a confirmed 2014 colour way in Aluxx in a 29 er. All pictures point to a change, confirmation requires a specific from giant - a week or 2 perhaps?

More to the point I haven't seen any pics of a 2014 colour way with the current design.
    The 2014's are on the Giant US website:

Anthem X 29er 1 (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

I found this thread as I am considering a 2013 Anthem X 29er 1 on closeout.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    ]

I'd go for it. I like last years specs and price points much better than the 14s.

Deere Rider
    Wanted to report a very pleasant warranty experience with Giant. I had an '11 polished AX29 in XL that developed a crack in the lower shock cradle.

At first Giant said my options were a '12 grey front triangle with my polished rear or an '11 polished front triangle. I was pretty happy that they still had some polished '11 fronts as I really like the polished frame.

However, I was concerned that, at my size, the new frame would just do the same thing. I had ridden the bike very little over the past two years...less than 200 miles. I expressed this concern through my dealer.

Giant came back with an offer to exchange my entire '11 aluminum frame with a '13 Advanced 0 (blue/black) entire frame minus shock (I keep my shock). The good part...the exchange only cost me $300. $300 to upgrade to a 2 year newer carbon frame? Yes, please.

This seems almost too good to be true but I have the Advanced frame in hand and only $300 left my bank account. Good stuff!

Your Best Friend

Re: Anthem X cracked frames.

Nice! Let's see some pics.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    The 2014's are on the Giant US website:

Anthem X 29er 1 (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

If you've tested one and like the bike, as Cotharyus said, go for it. The warranty is excellent, so although it's annoying that you're out the bike for a bit if it happens, you'll get a new frame back at that time.

My own experience with a 2011 X1 26'er that just went through the process was pretty decent. It took 3 weeks, but at the end, I went from the alloy frame (with a number of scratches and rock dents) to a brand new SL0 full carbon frame (still a 26'er, think it's a 2012 model, last of the line), for zero cost. Not everyone is that lucky, but it can happen.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast