Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    So I might be the first to have cracked an advanced 29er showing a 3" vertical line in the carbon with a spider on one side. It's between the bottom bracket and the upper pivot on the seat tube.

davidcarson48
    Pics, please!

mtbr member
    Do you think that running a seat dropper post would help prevent these cracks in the seat tube/down tube junction? I figure that running a regular seatpost, I'd be more likely to make a higher force contacts than if I lowered the seatpost. I have a 6" AM bike that I ride in tougher terrain, and I am planning on building up this new Anthem 29er for XC races, so it won't be ridden in techy terrain. I was thinking about the 4 LEV.

Your Best Friend

Re: Anthem X cracked frames.

@smirniotisice, I too would like some good pics.

...and no, a dropper post will most likely not help in preventing a cracked frame.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

davidcarson48

Silentfoe...have you seen any cracked Anthem Advanced frames at your shop yet?

Your Best Friend

Nope. This is actually the very first one I've ever heard of. One of the main reasons I'm interested in pics.

what a joke
    Cracked Advance frame on ebay.com.au

Giant Anthem X29 Advanced Frame Used | eBay
    blah blah blah

Your Best Friend

Well, I guess that goes to show that Giant is good on warranty replacements. All of the damage on the Advanced 1 frame on ebay looks like user damage and not a manufacturer defect.

mtbr member
    Anthem X cracked frames.-photo-2.jpg
    Hope giant replaces the frame. I've only been riding it for 6 month and was hoping to ride the PMBAR on it had to rent a bike last year I am running a dropper post.

Your Best Friend
    That is a very strange place for a crack. Not a lot of stresses right there I'd think.

mtbr member
    That's my perspective think it might be torsion but I have no idea.

Team Velveeta™

2013 Anthem X 29 1, size Large

Anthem X cracked frames.-p1020796.jpgAnthem X cracked frames.-p1020798.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Well, I guess that goes to show that Giant is good on warranty replacements...
    Discovered this Sunday. Had 20 miles left including a 3,000 vert feet dirt road descent to get home. Held together, could see it gapping (perhaps 1mm) when I was seated climbing. Giant is replacing the whole frame minus shock with a 2012. They don't have 2013 replacement frames in stock yet.

FYI. Thought it ought to be out as a data point. I'm 190-200 lbs 6'1" often ride with a fairly heavy pack (100oz water, clothing, etc). I've put between 1200 and 1500 miles on it since getting it December 28, including 24 solo at Old Pueblo. I do ride tech trails but have been pretty cautious after getting hurt a couple times late last season. Definitely no hucking... Have not crashed it.

Seems like Giant is responding quite quickly, although I don't know what the eta of the replacement is yet.
    Last edited by TomP; 05-02-2013 at 01:50 PM.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member

Anthem X cracked frames.

Giant was quite good with the frame replacement for me (although they refused to change the Anthem 29 frameset for a Trance 29, even if I was willing to pay a price difference).
    In less than a week a 2012 X0Anthem X cracked frames.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1367526222.985940.jpgAnthem X cracked frames.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1367526281.252353.jpg whole frameset arrived with a brand new shock. They rear shock mount seems to be the same design as my 2011 frame; I hope that this one doesn’t break.
    Here are photos of the crack and my new ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    can see that in this design the seattube will want to bow in due to combination of force on the rocker pivot and rider on saddle - ie both making the seat tube wanting to bow towards the headtube..

flattened top tube will be doing little to help support the seat tube from flexing and looks like a rather nice hinge..

this would explain the position of the cracks at seat tube/ top tube, centre of seat tube and a lower end..

perhaps in the quest to save weight the seat tube is a bit thin..

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have a Giant Anthem X2 replacement frame waiting for me and I have a few questions.
    Long story long, my father in laW cracked his anthem. After a a bit a back and forth, Giant agreed to replace the entire frameset included the shock due to the fact that the design changed quite a bit since 2007 and the front and rear triangles wouldn't be compatible. One huge point for giant in my book. Pops in law didnt want To wait for the replacement frame, so I have been given the new frame. Pretty nice of pops in law. However, nowhere can I find the specs off an anthem x2 frameset only. The colors are red and blue and then od2 headsetnis imcluded. I'm thinking maybema European orcas Asian markets frame. Or perhaps, giants follow treks example and painted replacement frames differently. ie treks raw alum replacents for black and blue and gray fuels.

Thoughts ?

mtbr member
    There's no such thing as an X2 frame set. If it's an X2 it came as a complete bike, and you want to look at the X2 bike spec. They're simply replacing the frame like for like in terms of the shock included if it's spec'd as an X2.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Well my post was quite full of typos! Thats what 24 hours shift do to your mind! I am thinking its the Anthem X frameset as sold overseas as a frameset only. I'm more curious about the color of the frame. I haven't seen a red and blue anthem anywhere on my internet searches. If its something out of the ordinary, I'll post a picture when I get it built up. It will most likely end up as back up bike. I can't imagine a full suspension will replace my beloved 853 steel hard tail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

2011 x1

Well went for a short ride yesterday, and my 2011 26er decided enough was enough (not like I'm and aggressive rider or anything, might be why it's lasted 3 years).

Anthem X cracked frames.-crack.jpg

Going in today to see about a warrenty replacement (going to be fun, as they haven't had any 26ers here for the last 2 years)

Deere Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by enfig View Post
    Giant was quite good with the frame replacement for me (although they refused to change the Anthem 29 frameset for a Trance 29, even if I was willing to pay a price difference).
    In less than a week a 2012 X0Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367526222.985940.jpg 
Views:	813 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	795582Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367526281.252353.jpg 
Views:	635 
Size:	341.9 KB 
ID:	795583 whole frameset arrived with a brand new shock. They rear shock mount seems to be the same design as my 2011 frame; I hope that this one doesn’t break.
    Here are photos of the crack and my new ride.
    I just found an identical crack in my 2011 AX29. I really, really liked the polished frame and I'm guessing I won't get that finish replaced. Sigh...

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    I just found an identical crack in my 2011 AX29. I really, really liked the polished frame and I'm guessing I won't get that finish replaced. Sigh...
    This is what they were passing out as replacements as of May 1, (for a 2013 Anthem X 29 Size L that I broke):

It's a 2012. Came to me with a new Fox RP23, but I had the CTD that came with my 2013 installed. I think it's actually better looking than the 2013 colorz. But that's just me.

I'm in Colorado, USA. I assume you're in the states as well, given your John Deere motif.
    Last edited by TomP; 07-08-2013 at 03:16 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The frame I received is blue black and white. Its a 26er. I'm assuming its from 2010. Threaded bottom bracket and non tapered headtube. The suppiled shock is a Fox Float rp2.

Deere Rider
    Anthem X cracked frames.-20130708_090410-copy.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    This is what they were passing out as replacements as of May 1, (for a 2013 Anthem X 29 Size L that I broke):

It's a 2012. Came to me with a new Fox RP23, but I had the CTD that came with my 2013 installed. I think it's actually better looking than the 2013 colorz. But that's just me.

I'm in Colorado, USA. I assume you're in the states as well, given your John Deere motif.
    Thanks for the "heads up". I am about 4-5 hours away from Salida just over the border into Kansas. I get to Colorado Springs to ride with friends a few times a year and we are hoping to be in Salida for a weekend some time this summer. Small world with the internet, eh?

I bought the frame from Colorado Cyclist and requested they ask Giant if the crack is of any real concern. That's how bad I want to keep the polished frame. I'm guessing they will want to replace the frame. I just can't see how a crack on that little bridge to the seat tube in the lower shock "cradle" will have any real effect on the bike's safety and longevity...but I know nothing.

My other thought is, won't it just happen to a replacement. I have ridden the 2011 very little since I bought it...and I mean very little. I thought I was going to do some racing but never had the time.

I have no idea how long it's been there. I just saw another post in this thread with a break in that spot and decided to check. I also checked the top tube/ seat tube spot but it is still good...I have an XL.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Here is my 2012 x29er 2. Mine is just shy of a year old. No warning or indication of slight cracking before, just a clean snap. Shop had another model with the same problem although it was a 2010. Just hoping there was an improvement somewhere. I dont want a replacement that will knowingly break.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...43654723_n.jpg

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    ...I bought the frame from Colorado Cyclist and requested they ask Giant if the crack is of any real concern. That's how bad I want to keep the polished frame. I'm guessing they will want to replace the frame. I just can't see how a crack on that little bridge to the seat tube in the lower shock "cradle" will have any real effect on the bike's safety and longevity...but I know nothing.

My other thought is, won't it just happen to a replacement. I have ridden the 2011 very little since I bought it...and I mean very little. I thought I was going to do some racing but never had the time...
    They are going to want to replace it. They definitely don't want people out there riding damaged frames--their lawyers advise against that

Quote Originally Posted by mtnrider1009 View Post
    Here is my 2012 x29er 2. Mine is just shy of a year old. No warning or indication of slight cracking before, just a clean snap. Shop had another model with the same problem although it was a 2010. Just hoping there was an improvement somewhere. I dont want a replacement that will knowingly break.

Mine broke after 4 months of riding. I ride lots, and there was a 24 solo in there, but I was amazed at how little time it took.

I definitely am worried about it breaking again. I have almost as many miles on my replacement frame as I had on the oridinal, and now our high country is opened up so I'm riding more technical stuff... I check the top tube at the seat tube weld after almost every ride.

If this one breaks, I am going to ask what it would cost to just throw the warranty replacement at an upgrade to the advanced. I have been leery of carbon fiber for mountain frames, but willing to take a chance that it would be stronger at least in terms of flex cycles. And of course lighter.

The saddest thing for me is that I love the way this bike rides. For the endurance rides I do it is perfect. Light, efficient, comfortable, near perfect fit for me. But if another one breaks and I can't justify whatever it takes to upgrade to the CF frame, I'll be forced to cut my losses, sell the replacement and look for something else.

mtbr member
    Is this an issue with Carbon or Aluxx frames? Think the 2014 will address these issues?

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast