Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 301 to 385 of 385
  1. #301
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    459
    Silentfoe,

    There is 4 cracks in my frame. The rock caused 1. Check the picture above, there is 2 in the downtube on the side.

    The only one I dont have a picture of is the bottom bracket one under the link, had a pic but destroyed that phone.

    They are not warranting it for the impact damage, but the 3 other cracks. I took it in when I found the first one on the bottom bracket. They wanted to do nothing. I took it again when I found the two on the downtube and they wanted to do nothing again. When I took it in to get the downtube checked for structural they again wanted to do nothing.

    I took it to another shop that sent in pictures of the downtube and bottom bracket cracks and giant justified the replacement.

    Dont understand why you're hellbent on me putting giant out of business and you didnt even look at the pictures or read the story. The lbs I bought the bike at was lazy.

    I'm getting a new frame and im happy as a clam. I'll remain a happy customer and still recomend giants. This is my 3rd anthem and i've only had an issue with 1 that was handled.

  2. #302
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rakuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by Utahbikemike View Post
    Silentfoe,

    There is 4 cracks in my frame. The rock caused 1. Check the picture above, there is 2 in the downtube on the side.

    The only one I dont have a picture of is the bottom bracket one under the link, had a pic but destroyed that phone.

    They are not warranting it for the impact damage, but the 3 other cracks. I took it in when I found the first one on the bottom bracket. They wanted to do nothing. I took it again when I found the two on the downtube and they wanted to do nothing again. When I took it in to get the downtube checked for structural they again wanted to do nothing.

    I took it to another shop that sent in pictures of the downtube and bottom bracket cracks and giant justified the replacement.

    Dont understand why you're hellbent on me putting giant out of business and you didnt even look at the pictures or read the story. The lbs I bought the bike at was lazy.

    I'm getting a new frame and im happy as a clam. I'll remain a happy customer and still recomend giants. This is my 3rd anthem and i've only had an issue with 1 that was handled.
    Ya if my frame had those cracks in the bottom tube near the head tube as you pictured Id be pitching a fit also, Sure the rock damage doesn't warrant a free replacement but I can see where you are coming from on those other cracks, Glad they took care of you Giant rocks
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking


  3. #303
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2

    My Frame just cracked too 2014 29er X 2

    Anthem X cracked frames.-wp_20141220_10_13_39_pro.jpg

    Oh of course it would break 5 days before XMAS. arrrggghhhhh

    Lets see how this plays out

  4. #304
    WillWorkForTrail
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,799
    The timing sucks, but I'm sure they'll take care of you. Too many other people here with breaks that have been handled very well in a timely way for them to screw up very much. If it happens as quickly for you as it did me, you'll be on a new frame before the new year.

  5. #305
    rubber side down
    Reputation: TAOS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    510
    Quote Originally Posted by Utahbikemike View Post
    Well, an update.

    It had everything to do with my lbs.

    I understand the impact damage was not warranty. The only reason I was mad about it was the sheer size of the rock that did it. It was about the size of a quarter. I've taken rocks bigger than potatoes to the downtube with no issues.

    My biggest concern was the 4 other paint cracks forming on the frame. My first one appeared 3 months into my ownership. I've had this frame 9 months, I cringed thinking about what it will look like in a couple years. I'd never be able to resell it, ever.

    I took it to another shop, they sent in pictures and they're warranting it under the giant 1yr paint clause. Giant stepped up for me and I'll be a loyal lifetime giant customer now.

    Only bad thing is that large frames are on backorder until march or so, but they ordered me one and are letting me ride this frame until it gets in. Can't be happier and will be ordering a defy advanced 2 come springtime.
    Buy one of these for your new frame;
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anthem X cracked frames.-rockgardz.jpg  

    Quote Originally Posted by misterbill View Post
    You must be really bored if you have read this entire post.

  6. #306
    rubber side down
    Reputation: TAOS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    510
    Quote Originally Posted by ryrager View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20141220_10_13_39_Pro.jpg 
Views:	1406 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	948239

    Oh of course it would break 5 days before XMAS. arrrggghhhhh

    Lets see how this plays out
    Ouch, how'd you do this?
    Quote Originally Posted by misterbill View Post
    You must be really bored if you have read this entire post.

  7. #307
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3

    Same.....

    Xmas morning ride through the forest and BANG. Anthem 2013 29er X1 with less then 500k's on it. (Im mainly a roadie). Pretty disappointing to say the least! Went on a smooth forest trail.




    Anthem X cracked frames.-image1.jpg

  8. #308
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3
    Did mine yesterday
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anthem X cracked frames.-image.jpg  


  9. #309
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3
    Took mine in to get the paperwork started and the shop was very unsurprised. They had 2 others on the go at the same time! Apparently the current model has reinforcing to avoid this very problem. FWIW.

  10. #310
    Don't Tread on Me
    Reputation: Lopaka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    730
    Anthem X cracked frames.-20150213_094305.jpg


    My riding buddy and I have been riding and racing Anthem 29ers since 2011 without a single issue other than rear suspension bolts loosening with new bikes. I still haven't broken one but last week my buddy broke his 2012 XL during an XC race. Needless to say, a DNF.


    Kudos to Giant for an immediate shipment of a replacement frame. Great model and a great company.

    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

  11. #311
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    5

    Third Cracked Frame - Eau Claire Bike and Sport is amazing.

    Been riding this mostly on single track trails with no drop-offs more than a double curb...this is my third cracked frame. I'm 225# and this is 75 miles on this frame. This is also the second time it's cracked next to the Maestro pivot on the down tube. My LBS (Eau Claire Bike and Sport, Eau Claire WI) has been monumental at getting me replacement frames quickly and free. Zero problems with Terry and Ryan...highly recommend.

    Giant did not offer a replacement for this frame, simply a credit to purchase another Giant product....unfortunately they are heavy into 27.5's now. Probably getting another Anthem X 29er because I thought the 27.5's seemed like a kids bike when I was at the local demo ride. Got back on my Anthem and it was like getting on the right bike after riding the 27.5.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anthem X cracked frames.-20150416_180543.jpg  

    Anthem X cracked frames.-20150416_180706.jpg  


  12. #312
    rubber side down
    Reputation: TAOS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    510
    What year is that? Do you "sit heavy" when riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by misterbill View Post
    You must be really bored if you have read this entire post.

  13. #313
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    5
    The frame is a pre-2015 frame. I didn't ask when the frame was replaced. I believe it's a 2013/2014 paint scheme....if that gets you close

    I don't understand 'sit heavy'....I weigh 225 pounds and stay in the saddle as long as possible on flats and uphills and am out of the saddle (almost all the time) on downhills. If the trail gets undulating, I don't stand, I hover......

    I also don't understand 'XC' vs 'Trail' bikes. My riding buddy has a Trance X 29er that cracked the frame in the same spot...I think that's a 'Trail' bike? Aren't we crossing the country when we are on the trails? I was told by my LBS that the Trance X would be a better match for the type of riding I do.

    I ride his bike thinking the front tire is waaaaaay out there and the geometry, although acceptable on the Trance, isn't as comfortable to me as the Anthem. I won't ride an uncomfortable bike because it suits my riding terrain...I'm going to ride what's comfortable regardless of what's under the tires.

    Regardless, we ride the same terrain, same thing happened to his bike...so that point is moot.

    P.S. The Trance X is MUCH better equipped (Amazing Guide RS brakes, Tubeless, Carbon Bars/Seat Post, Mavic superlight rims, etc..etc...etc...) than my relatively stock Anthem X and I still prefer my geometry.

  14. #314
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MarinCRO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    865
    Maybe try getting carbon frame replacement. It's definitely stronger than aluminium.

  15. #315
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    5
    If the 2015 doesn't hold up...it's something to pursue.

  16. #316
    rubber side down
    Reputation: TAOS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    510
    Quote Originally Posted by OntheRedline View Post

    I don't understand 'sit heavy'....I weigh 225 pounds and stay in the saddle as long as possible on flats and uphills and am out of the saddle (almost all the time) on downhills. If the trail gets undulating, I don't stand, I hover......
    .
    Hard to explain, but meaning do you 'unweight' your body while in the saddle when the trail gets rough?
    Quote Originally Posted by misterbill View Post
    You must be really bored if you have read this entire post.

  17. #317
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    5
    If I take your meaning....my answer would be yes and no.

    If I have the chance to hover or push down with both feet when the trail gets rough, I do. If I am going down the trail and am fully weighted in the seat and a few roots or bumps (even 1.5" high) come up, that's what I use my suspension for...to soak them up. If I'm pedaling, then no, I do not unweight my body, even if the trail is rough. I can't imagine doing that and still having any power in my legs after a mile or so.

  18. #318
    rubber side down
    Reputation: TAOS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    510
    I was asking because I'm a bigger dude (215lbs) and I ride fairly hard. I check my 2014 Anthem for cracking almost after every ride.

    My 2014 seems to have a beefier section where the seat and top tube meet
    Quote Originally Posted by misterbill View Post
    You must be really bored if you have read this entire post.

  19. #319
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    5
    I just got down to 216 pounds.....so I'm with you. I 'think' my last frame was a 2014 because it did have a much larger weld than the previous two frames. The 2015 I am riding now not only has a larger weld, but the top tube is larger where it meets the seat tube.

    I am gun shy as well, full inspection after every ride. Thanks for all the help.

  20. #320
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    2

    2 cracked Anthem frames

    I had a 2013 Anthem 29er, cracked the frame 2 months ago, and then cracked the second, newer frame yesterday. 2 cracked Anthems in 2 months. I think there is a design flaw for sure.Anthem X cracked frames.-img_4190.jpg

  21. #321
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    2
    I cracked my 2013 two months ago, Giant replaced it with a 2015 frame, which I cracked that one yesterday. Two broken Anthem frames in 2 short months. Very unhappy.

  22. #322
    WillWorkForTrail
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,799
    Quote Originally Posted by adamjkeller View Post
    I cracked my 2013 two months ago, Giant replaced it with a 2015 frame, which I cracked that one yesterday. Two broken Anthem frames in 2 short months. Very unhappy.
    Did they both break in the same place? What sort of riding do you do?

  23. #323
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,844
    Any reports on cracks/failures on 2014/2015 27.5 Anthems?
    Thanks!
    Check my Site

  24. #324
    WillWorkForTrail
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Any reports on cracks/failures on 2014/2015 27.5 Anthems?
    Thanks!
    I haven't heard any. Keep in mind, that's a completely different frame, my notion, looking at it, is that it's a much more heavily built frame than the 29er, it seems thicker in all the areas that have been problems.

  25. #325
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    40
    I just bought my 2015 Anthem X and I will confess its sad reading these posts. I weigh 255lbs, I guess I should just plan on the day coming when it will break and pray im not to far away from home. The fact they will give me a new frame to break does not make me feel much better. Perhaps the 2015s are stronger. I don't see as many broken 2015s in this thread. Regardless, im starting to feel buyers remorse creep in based soley on breaking potential. The bike itself rides incredibly well and it comes with a great gearing and suspension system.

  26. #326
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rakuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMc2006 View Post
    I just bought my 2015 Anthem X and I will confess its sad reading these posts. I weigh 255lbs, I guess I should just plan on the day coming when it will break and pray im not to far away from home. The fact they will give me a new frame to break does not make me feel much better. Perhaps the 2015s are stronger. I don't see as many broken 2015s in this thread. Regardless, im starting to feel buyers remorse creep in based soley on breaking potential. The bike itself rides incredibly well and it comes with a great gearing and suspension system.
    If its a X29er ya I would be a little worried they are basiclly the older frames with a different paintjob i have one also, but if its a 27 no worries! Im 215lb all kitted out and we have had 5 Anthem Xs beat the crap out of them and no cracks.. ride light in the saddle as much as you can...
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking


  27. #327
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman View Post
    If its a X29er ya I would be a little worried they are basiclly the older frames with a different paintjob i have one also, but if its a 27 no worries! Im 215lb all kitted out and we have had 5 Anthem Xs beat the crap out of them and no cracks.. ride light in the saddle as much as you can...
    Its a 29er, I am wondering if there is a correlation between frames braking and the strength of the wheelset. If I had a stronger/more durable wheelset would that reduce the risk of the frame braking.

  28. #328
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rakuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMc2006 View Post
    Its a 29er, I am wondering if there is a correlation between frames braking and the strength of the wheelset. If I had a stronger/more durable wheelset would that reduce the risk of the frame braking.

    No the 26ers broke the same, On the 2015 29ers they just used the same frame design that can break. that said they have sold 10s of thousands frames that didn't break I truly think alot of breakage depends on weight and riding style, if these are so fragile I should of broke one buy now being a Clydesdale but I grew up riding hard tails and am really light in the saddle, and I treat my bikes like they are Xc rigs not AM no seated pushes in the rough or hucks and jumps..
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking


  29. #329
    WillWorkForTrail
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,799
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMc2006 View Post
    I just bought my 2015 Anthem X and I will confess its sad reading these posts. I weigh 255lbs, I guess I should just plan on the day coming when it will break and pray im not to far away from home. The fact they will give me a new frame to break does not make me feel much better. Perhaps the 2015s are stronger. I don't see as many broken 2015s in this thread. Regardless, im starting to feel buyers remorse creep in based soley on breaking potential. The bike itself rides incredibly well and it comes with a great gearing and suspension system.
    I wouldn't sweat it. I was looking at a new Anthem 29er frame in a shop the other day. They've beefed up the two areas that broke all the time. As long as you use the bike like a cross country bike, and don't go jumping it, you'll likely be fine. Plus, the frames listed as broken in this thread are a very, very small fraction of a percentage of all the Anthem frames sold. Don't let this get you down. You bought a fantastic bike.

  30. #330
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    I wouldn't sweat it. I was looking at a new Anthem 29er frame in a shop the other day. They've beefed up the two areas that broke all the time. As long as you use the bike like a cross country bike, and don't go jumping it, you'll likely be fine. Plus, the frames listed as broken in this thread are a very, very small fraction of a percentage of all the Anthem frames sold. Don't let this get you down. You bought a fantastic bike.
    Thanks, i am still fairly new to mtn biking and I don't ride super fast and the wheels stay on the ground. I'm 51, my healthy fear of crashing keeps me from getting to brave. However I do use knee and elbow pads ""just in case". Also thanks for the encouragement regarding the frame breaking it was starting to mess with my head.

  31. #331
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pharmaboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    509
    V
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    I wouldn't sweat it. I was looking at a new Anthem 29er frame in a shop the other day. They've beefed up the two areas that broke all the time. As long as you use the bike like a cross country bike, and don't go jumping it, you'll likely be fine. Plus, the frames listed as broken in this thread are a very, very small fraction of a percentage of all the Anthem frames sold. Don't let this get you down. You bought a fantastic bike.
    I don't think it has anything to do with jumping or hucking - it does have to do with a marathon type riding style, and decent miles. When I broke mine I had been doing a solid minimum of 7 hours a week and max 11 hours a week 100% off-road for 2 years - that was 3 times the previous bikes kms and and about 5 times more than the bike before that.
    If you ride 5 times a week every week, then sure , choose another bike, but any clysdale that Breaks an anthem won't be a Clydesdale by the time they break it

  32. #332
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rakuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    838
    Anthem X cracked frames.-img_20150627_071953790.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    I wouldn't sweat it. I was looking at a new Anthem 29er frame in a shop the other day. They've beefed up the two areas that broke all the time. As long as you use the bike like a cross country bike, and don't go jumping it, you'll likely be fine. Plus, the frames listed as broken in this thread are a very, very small fraction of a percentage of all the Anthem frames sold. Don't let this get you down. You bought a fantastic bike.
    What year were you looking at My 2015 X 29 is exactly like my 2012 at the seatpost to toptube joint ? go back to post #320 thats a picture of a cracked 2015
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking


  33. #333
    WillWorkForTrail
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150627_071953790.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	998282

    What year were you looking at My 2015 X 29 is exactly like my 2012 at the seatpost to toptube joint ? go back to post #320 thats a picture of a cracked 2015
    Looking at a 2013 vs a new 2015. Now, they weren't sitting side by side, so maybe the top tube is the same. But the area around the lower shock mount is very, very different.

    Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy View Post
    V

    I don't think it has anything to do with jumping or hucking - it does have to do with a marathon type riding style, and decent miles. When I broke mine I had been doing a solid minimum of 7 hours a week and max 11 hours a week 100% off-road for 2 years - that was 3 times the previous bikes kms and and about 5 times more than the bike before that.
    If you ride 5 times a week every week, then sure , choose another bike, but any clysdale that Breaks an anthem won't be a Clydesdale by the time they break it
    To be sure, overall fatigue of the frame can be a huge factor. It's aluminum after all. Aluminum frames DO have a finite lifetime. But the Anthem frame in particular is a VERY light weight frame, and you only get a frame that light by taking material off the frame. That's going to weaken it. So, the design and intended purpose of the frame is XC, and XC is not hucking stuff, it's wheels on the ground pedaling hard and going fast. These are two very different kinds of stress to put on a frame. So yes, I broke my frame in one year without jumping/hucking stuff. But I'm a clyde, and not because I'm fat. I'm 6'4" and if I had 8% body fat, I'd weigh 185 at best, but I'm more of a normal guy, and weigh 215. I'm just a big guy. Riding more isn't going to make me less big. A strict diet of rabbit food might, but it's not like I eat junk food, I don't drink soda at all, and on the whole, I'm pretty healthy. But I'm still a clyde, and I'd be willing to be I could break a brand new Anthem frame in one day by jumping it. My current frame is 2 years old. It's in the shop right now having the BB, all pivot bearings, fork lowers (don't ask) replaced and everything else gone over and tuned up - because it goes a lot of miles. And it stays on the ground.

    So I'm not disagreeing that milage can be a huge factor in a frame breaking, but I object to the idea that if I, or another clyde, rides enough we won't be clydes anymore. I'm not fat, and I'm not going to shrink because I ride a bike, or I'd have bought a medium, not a large. And jumping a bike that isn't intended to be jumped will break it, especially if a muff the landing.

  34. #334
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MarinCRO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    865
    It's really weird how that some people tend to break frames.
    Personally, I know only 1 person who had broken an xc bike (alu ht) and a lot of people have them.
    It's either manufacturing defect or poor structural design, otherwise you'd have to break several wheelsets before the frame and that would give you a clue you are perhaps riding your bike with a finesse compared to that of a bear.

  35. #335
    WillWorkForTrail
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,799
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinCRO View Post
    It's really weird how that some people tend to break frames.
    Personally, I know only 1 person who had broken an xc bike (alu ht) and a lot of people have them.
    It's either manufacturing defect or poor structural design, otherwise you'd have to break several wheelsets before the frame and that would give you a clue you are perhaps riding your bike with a finesse compared to that of a bear.
    I've noticed too that some people are "prone" to breaking frames, while others aren't. Personally, I'm one of those who IS prone to breaking frames. It's why I bought a bike with a lifetime frame warranty. I've also broken chains on single speeds, and my last SS frame that I broke, I took the wheels off that, and put them on my new SS frame without having to true them (I checked - they were still true). On my Anthem frame, one of the guys at my LBS put the break down to me making huge power in bigger gears rather than shifting down into an easier gear. I think it's very possible to break frames without breaking wheels, but yes, I think if you're constantly folding wheels, that's a sign your technique needs a little work.

  36. #336
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2
    They have finally 'admitted' it was poor design that caused so many frames to crack; just have a look at the 2016 Anthem X Aluxx frame and yuo clearly see the difference. The 2016 top tube has been redesigned and instead of slimming down where connected to the seat tube the added 'extra' tube. Also in 2016 they let go of the quick release at the back wheel.

  37. #337
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5
    An update to this forum turned up in my inbox, so 17 months later I thought I'd have a look.
    My 2009 X1 26er (That looks rather like a 2014 X1 27.5) is still going strong and Cotharyus is still telling you all to buy one, ride the crap out of it and take it back under warranty smile as you receive your upgrade and go and ride the crap out of it.
    My 2009 was 5.6 years old when I waved goodbye at the bike shop. With most other brands I'd have been waving bye to a few $k at the bikeshop as the warranty would have been expired from between 0.6 & 2.6 years. I'm still smiling.
    Friends with Anthems are offering me their bikes to ride in the hope I can crack theirs to and get a nice upgrade. At this rate though, I wont have to ride mine for a while.

    Why do they crack? (I'm an engineer by the way) They are a fatigue failure (riding the crap out of it), not an overload failure (Jumping etc). I'm a bit of a tractor. Reasonably heavy and a lot of torque (not to mention talk). I like playing in the hills and tend to twist the bars hammering up the hills (so I don't bob on the forks. If you've ever been on a bike trainer with the rear triangle locked down and do a big sprint or grind, you'll see how much the frame actually flexes. For whatever reason (and as an example it could be the frames are flexible somewhere else (like in the downtube again as an example. (I say this as the 09 frames downtubes are almost a square section and square sections are far less torsionally stiff than round sections)) and even stiff somewhere else (top tube in lateral bending lets say) and that produces a lot of stress on the seatpost joint, and its just not big enough to take it. Add some heat affected zone for the weld and away we go.

    (I.E. The seatpost joint design may be fine on a frame of different design elsewhere on the frame)

    Again.
    No. of frames cracked globally 1000's *
    No of frames sold globally. 1,000,000's
    Therefore overall probability of an anthem frame cracking .001 0.1%
    Overall probability of me recommending giant due to the awesome warranty 1.0 (100%)

    *(Not forgetting that the probability of finding people talking about cracked frames on a forum about cracked frames is 1 (100%) so stop worrying, get out there and ride the crap out of it)
    Ride it like you stole it, and the owner is chasing you.

  38. #338
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Brambo67 View Post
    They have finally 'admitted' it was poor design that caused so many frames to crack; just have a look at the 2016 Anthem X Aluxx frame and yuo clearly see the difference. The 2016 top tube has been redesigned and instead of slimming down where connected to the seat tube the added 'extra' tube. Also in 2016 they let go of the quick release at the back wheel.
    So, a little over a month after the previous post it happened to me as well. My frame is starting to crack. Contacted my LBS and put in a warranty claim. I told them not to accept a frame older than the 2016 models as they all have the same faulty design. The 2016 top tube - horizontal tube is different, much stronger. Does mean not biking for a while....

  39. #339
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by Brambo67 View Post
    So, a little over a month after the previous post it happened to me as well. My frame is starting to crack. Contacted my LBS and put in a warranty claim. I told them not to accept a frame older than the 2016 models as they all have the same faulty design. The 2016 top tube - horizontal tube is different, much stronger. Does mean not biking for a while....
    Having downtime for bike repairs or suspension servicing is super annoying, perfect justification then to have more than one bike

  40. #340
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3
    My 2008 Giant Anthem also cracked at same juncture, but I am unsure they will cover the frame due to the year. If they send me a 27.5 frame, no problem, as I have a wheelset. I Broke Quit a few Specialized frames, and they told me to take a hike. Ended up sending me a down hill frame in place of a Stumpy Pro frame. I am thinking with all the problems they are having with frame breakage, that Giant also will go the same route. And I really liked that bike, but glad I have a backup.

  41. #341
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by stu8975 View Post
    Never heard of any regular Anthems with cracked frames. As for lifetime warranty??? 5 years for giant suspension frames (taken from owners manual version 8.0), 10 years for hardtails.
    I was told they have life on all frames, from 2 dealers

  42. #342
    WillWorkForTrail
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,799
    They have a new version of the Anthem 29er frame that has been built a little stronger in the problem areas. There's no reason they shouldn't send you a new frame, I wouldn't sweat it. Warranty is lifetime on all Giant frames, it's one of the reasons I bought one.

  43. #343
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    16
    Piling on an old thread...Giant just replaced my 2014 Anthem X29er 1 frame with a new 2016 Anthem 29er frame. The 2014 frame developed a crack in the webbing of the lower shock mount in the BB area. It was quick with no questions asked. About 10 days to get the new frame. Converted to 12x142 thru axle on rear since the frame came that way. Dropped in a new PF BB, and had to have the upper headset bearing race punched out of new frame and replaced with one from old frame. Giant switched from Overdrive 2 (2014) to Overdrive (2016). Plus the 2016 frame has internal shifter cable routing. Giant did right by me.

  44. #344
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1

    same model cracked too (Athens Greece)

    Quote Originally Posted by ryrager View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20141220_10_13_39_Pro.jpg 
Views:	1406 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	948239

    Oh of course it would break 5 days before XMAS. arrrggghhhhh

    Lets see how this plays out
    Too sad:

    Anthem X cracked frames.-anthem-cracked.jpg

  45. #345
    WillWorkForTrail
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,799
    It's looking like you can chalk me up for a second one, appears broken in exactly the same place as my first frame, drive side lower shock mount. First frame was a 2013 X2, second is a 2013 X1. When I talk to the shop, I'm going to see if I can get them to pull for a newer year frame with the updated top tube junction and shock mount. My only question is, it looks like they went back to regular tapered forks when they changed up the frames - will an OD2 headset still fit the newer frames, or will I need a new fork? Anyone?

  46. #346
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,754
    They did go back but you won't need to change a thing. The frames are standard taper but the steerer and upper headset bearing were 1.25. They both fit in the standard frame.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  47. #347
    WillWorkForTrail
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    They did go back but you won't need to change a thing. The frames are standard taper but the steerer and upper headset bearing were 1.25. They both fit in the standard frame.
    Thanks, that's good to know. I dropped my bike off a little before lunch yesterday, and the shop called me before 2 - a 2017 frame is being shipped out no later than today for me. The shop and Giant are really on their game, I specifically asked the shop if they could try to get one of the re-designed frames that fixed the shock mount and top tube problem areas.

  48. #348
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MarinCRO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    865
    I think you will need 142x12 rear hub. New anthems have through axle rear end.

  49. #349
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,754
    Yes, they do have that axle.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  50. #350
    WillWorkForTrail
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,799
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinCRO View Post
    I think you will need 142x12 rear hub. New anthems have through axle rear end.
    Handled. I snagged a set of Rolf wheels last year when my stock hub started to show signs of being done (you couldn't tighten the play out of it without it starting to drag badly) and went for the model with SRAM xD support and a convertible hub to future proof it (thanks boost?) so I'm confirm with rolf the kit I need and getting that on the way as well.

  51. #351
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    5
    Hi guys.
    I have a 2013 anthem x 29 0 and I have noticed a hairline crack on the weld for the seat tube/top tube junction, the typical failure place.

    I've also notice the when riding hard, some times with no weight on the saddle I get loud cracking noises. I get the same noise when I also put my weight back down on the saddle occasionally.

    Bike shop says I have to wait for it to break, but I think the cracking noise is sure thing that it will give way soon. This has got worse recently. I only weight 70kgs.

    Did anyone else notice any noises before their frames cracked and did it show up as a hairline crack before breaking?

    Thanks

    Nathan

  52. #352
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,002
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoskurner View Post
    Hi guys.
    I have a 2013 anthem x 29 0 and I have noticed a hairline crack on the weld for the seat tube/top tube junction, the typical failure place.

    I've also notice the when riding hard, some times with no weight on the saddle I get loud cracking noises. I get the same noise when I also put my weight back down on the saddle occasionally.

    Bike shop says I have to wait for it to break, but I think the cracking noise is sure thing that it will give way soon. This has got worse recently. I only weight 70kgs.

    Did anyone else notice any noises before their frames cracked and did it show up as a hairline crack before breaking?

    Thanks

    Nathan
    If there is a hairline crack that you can see you are being given poor advice from the bike shop and I would even go as far to say advice that could get them in legal trouble. A crack is a crack whether it is just starting and you can feel it with your fingernail or you can slip a quarter through it. If the frame is under warranty they should start the warranty process immediately. I would go back and demand they address it.

  53. #353
    WillWorkForTrail
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoskurner View Post
    Hi guys.
    I have a 2013 anthem x 29 0 and I have noticed a hairline crack on the weld for the seat tube/top tube junction, the typical failure place.

    I've also notice the when riding hard, some times with no weight on the saddle I get loud cracking noises. I get the same noise when I also put my weight back down on the saddle occasionally.

    Bike shop says I have to wait for it to break, but I think the cracking noise is sure thing that it will give way soon. This has got worse recently. I only weight 70kgs.

    Did anyone else notice any noises before their frames cracked and did it show up as a hairline crack before breaking?

    Thanks

    Nathan
    Two things here. First, if it's cracked, it's cracked. I've had two frames replaced because they were cracked. It's a warranty. You shouldn't have to risk personal injury to have it honored. That's the first thing.

    The second thing is, it sounds like you may already HAVE a break. Take a good, long, careful look at the drive side lower shock mount in your downtube. It's probably cracked through just forward of the weld. This is also a common mode of failure for these frames. I broke TWO 2013 frames in that exact same place. I'm now on a brand new 2017 frame that didn't cost me a cent, except the $80 I had to spend to buy the 12x142 through axle conversion kit for the wheel set I put on the bike.

    In short, you may have two cracks, and if that shop won't take care of you, take it to another Giant dealer, and then never darken the doorway of the first shop again. The clearly don't value their customers in the least if they won't take care of this for you.

  54. #354
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,754
    I agree that your current Giant dealer sucks and their counsel is dangerous, at best.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  55. #355
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    5
    Thanks guys.

  56. #356
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    5
    Thanks for the replies.

    Dealer reckons its just a paint crack because giant use thick paint, which is the complete opposite to my experiences with giant paint previously. It started out small and has now gone the whole length of the weld...

    The fact the paint is cracked across the weld and the noises im getting to me suggests a weakness in that area, which is a known point of weakness.

    I may give them another try and see what they say.

    Thanks

    Nathan

  57. #357
    mtbr member
    Reputation: screamingbunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    722
    pull the seatpost, clean the inside and see if you can see or feel a crack on the inside

  58. #358
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcanius View Post
    Developed a small crack on my 2012 Anthem X 29er 1 near the rear shock mounts. Took it to my Giant LBS and got a call the next day to let me know they were sending me a replacement frame and to ask if the new color scheme would be alright. I also had some minor hairline cracking occur around the top tube and seat post junction but not to the extent others have seen.

    My riding style is usually described as extremely aggressive but I live in the low country of South Carolina so the average elevation change on a trail is maybe 30 feet; a few small table tops and doubles but that's it. No significant wrecks with it.

    My 2013 anthem X 29 has the same hairline cracking on the top tube and lots of clicking noises when riding quite hard. Has anyone else had their frame warrantied for the same cracking as my dealer says its just the paint, but with the clicking noises im hearing I'm guessing it may be something more especially with the noises im getting.

    Picture is from a previous post as my blue frame is hard to get a good photo of.

    http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/gia...ramecrack2.jpg

  59. #359
    WillWorkForTrail
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoskurner View Post
    My 2013 anthem X 29 has the same hairline cracking on the top tube and lots of clicking noises when riding quite hard. Has anyone else had their frame warrantied for the same cracking as my dealer says its just the paint, but with the clicking noises im hearing I'm guessing it may be something more especially with the noises im getting.

    Picture is from a previous post as my blue frame is hard to get a good photo of.

    http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/gia...ramecrack2.jpg
    If you have loud creaking or grinding noises when you're riding, and you've made sure your cranks/BB aren't the culprit, I'll say it again: Check the drive side lower shock mount for cracks. I can see a paint crack in your picture, but I honestly can't tell from the picture if that's all it is or not - that's one of my biggest issues, people post pictures of a frame and ask if it's a scratch or cracked paint or if the frame is breaking - it's hard to tell from a picture. But if you have a lot of noise, it's a break somewhere if you've ruled everything else out.

  60. #360
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rakuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by Koen View Post
    I wouldn't buy this garbage at all (unfortunately I have). It's hard to find another frame that fails so often. Says a lot about Giant's attitude towards testers, sorry, customers..
    I have 5 anthems in my Garage ridden by 2 racers and one Clydesdale and zero breakage if these were that shitty I know I would of broke one for sure!
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking


  61. #361
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    5
    Just an update.

    I have a brand new 2016 frame waiting to be built up in the shop. I took it in and they called giant who accepted it as a warranty claim straight away.

    Hopefully the 2016 frame with the revised top tube is longer lasting than before!!

    Thanks for the advice regarding pushing to get a replacement.

  62. #362
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    275
    Might be a little early to tell but has anyone had (or heard of) these type of breakage problems with the 2017 Anthem 29er AL?

  63. #363
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,002
    i have the 2017 and they definitely beefed up the top tube/seat tube junction.

  64. #364
    WillWorkForTrail
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,799
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyChap View Post
    Might be a little early to tell but has anyone had (or heard of) these type of breakage problems with the 2017 Anthem 29er AL?
    I don't have enough milage on mine to be able to say much about it. As Ranger observed, they beefed up the top tube/seat tube junction, but that's not where I've broken the past two frames anyhow. There's not really a lot of change in the lower shock mount, so I figure eventually I'll be getting another frame warrantied.

  65. #365
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    160
    Hey guys quick question how many with the cracks at the top tube transport their bikes via a trunk rack like this

    https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Sports-.../dp/B000ELUXFC

    where the top tube is subject to more load?

  66. #366
    WillWorkForTrail
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,799
    Quote Originally Posted by ReturnOfTheMTB View Post
    Hey guys quick question how many with the cracks at the top tube transport their bikes via a trunk rack like this

    https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Sports-.../dp/B000ELUXFC

    where the top tube is subject to more load?
    While my frames have not broken in that place, I'll make a few observations here:

    1) I have transported my Anthems on a rack like that - on long vacation drives, the family car gets a hitch rack where my bikes travel. Admittedly, most of the time they are in the wheel mount rack in the bed of my truck when riding locally. But, I have a Feedback Sports Velocache that my bikes hang buy the top tube from in my garage.

    2. The forces - even going down a bumpy road - exerted on the frame due to the bike's own weight while hanging on a rack like that are going to be minimal compared to something as simple as riding through a ditch with your weight on the saddle. Being in the saddle when you should be standing up is probably a more likely cause of the frame breaking, especially if you run the seat post pretty far out but still, it shouldn't break.

  67. #367
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    21
    Here again.

    I was washing my bike after today's ride and noticed a black line around BB on drive side. I have previously broken two 2013 alu frames around the same area (can be found from this thread) and now this with a 2013 carbon frame. 2013 seems to be a bad year for Giant.

    Quickly going through this thread I didn't find anything similar, so is this just a crack in the paint or something more serious. I'll contact my LBS anyway.

    Anthem X cracked frames.-2017-08-12-15.00.45-hdr.jpg

  68. #368
    WillWorkForTrail
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,799
    That certainly looks conspicuous. Let us know how it turns out. I asked about a carbon frame after cracking AL frames, and was told they weren't convinced there was any benefit to the change. So, yeah, that could be a crack....

  69. #369
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Steel Calf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,683
    don't be a coward. Keep on riding

  70. #370
    Any given singletrack!
    Reputation: blue_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    82
    So i converted to single speed yesterday and was thinking to post in SS forum how I'm delighted that i did it... I just love it, I rediscovered love for my 2010 Anthem X. And today I noticed cracks at the top tube-seat tube joint. Both outside and inside. Here are pics... damn

    I just found original papers from this bike, it appears it has 5 years frame warranty (bough it in 2011). So what can I do?

    Anthem X cracked frames.-20171014_145832.jpg
    Anthem X cracked frames.-20171014_145900.jpg
    Anthem X cracked frames.-20171014_150115.jpg

  71. #371
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,707
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_dragon View Post
    So i converted to single speed yesterday and was thinking to post in SS forum how I'm delighted that i did it... I just love it, I rediscovered love for my 2010 Anthem X. And today I noticed cracks at the top tube-seat tube joint. Both outside and inside. Here are pics... damn

    I just found original papers from this bike, it appears it has 5 years frame warranty (bough it in 2011). So what can I do?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171014_145832.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	1162347
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171014_145900.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	1162348
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171014_150115.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	1162349
    go to the Giant dealer and explain, who knows maybe Giant has since change some warranty terms that apply, or maybe something can be worked out?

    that looks pretty bad, so you don't have many options, why not ask?

    these types of situations are opportunities to build customer loyalty for a brand or a shop, but be very positive and straightforward in discussing with them.

    at the end of the day you have options as other brands offer longer warranties if that is important for your next purchase.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  72. #372
    Any given singletrack!
    Reputation: blue_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    82
    I'll try on monday with local dealership, who knows. I really love this frame and intended to ride it for years to come.

  73. #373
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,707
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_dragon View Post
    I'll try on monday with local dealership, who knows. I really love this frame and intended to ride it for years to come.
    that's all you can do.

    Not to give you false hope, just handicapping what may help:

    Giant is the largest mfg of bikes in the world, so they are not surviving on a thread.

    IF the shop has a good relationship with Giant warranty staff then that is a plus. You should read into this that it is important that you be polite, courteous, straightforward in discussing with shop. If you have been a loyal patron of the shop the discuss in a positive way.

    This frame has apparently had sordid history with cracking according to this thread, so maybe Giant has responded accordingly? If so,perhaps a little unfair to deny you for being a little late on the issue.

    I would not necessarily ring this last point up because the terms are terms, but if needed I personally would think of a way to politely point out that competitors like Trek and Santa Cruz have lifetime warranties, or that Trek frame warranty treatment is legendary on this site (I cannot believe some the frames they have warrantied that MTBR users have posted)

    The above is overkill but you need both low expectations and positive strategy.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  74. #374
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,754
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    that's all you can do.

    Not to give you false hope, just handicapping what may help:

    Giant is the largest mfg of bikes in the world, so they are not surviving on a thread.

    IF the shop has a good relationship with Giant warranty staff then that is a plus. You should read into this that it is important that you be polite, courteous, straightforward in discussing with shop. If you have been a loyal patron of the shop the discuss in a positive way.

    This frame has apparently had sordid history with cracking according to this thread, so maybe Giant has responded accordingly? If so,perhaps a little unfair to deny you for being a little late on the issue.

    I would not necessarily ring this last point up because the terms are terms, but if needed I personally would think of a way to politely point out that competitors like Trek and Santa Cruz have lifetime warranties, or that Trek frame warranty treatment is legendary on this site (I cannot believe some the frames they have warrantied that MTBR users have posted)

    The above is overkill but you need both low expectations and positive strategy.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Giant also has a lifetime warranty.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  75. #375
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,707
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Giant also has a lifetime warranty.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    That's great! I was responding to his earlier post where he indicated that his original documents stated a 5 year warranty on the frame.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  76. #376
    Any given singletrack!
    Reputation: blue_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    82
    Here's a quick update after I've talked to my local Giant rep. Giant introduced lifetime frame warranty in 2012 so mine is not covered. They took images of the crack nonetheless and sent them to Giant - maybe they come forward with some solution. I will let you know what happens.

  77. #377
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,707
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_dragon View Post
    Here's a quick update after I've talked to my local Giant rep. Giant introduced lifetime frame warranty in 2012 so mine is not covered. They took images of the crack nonetheless and sent them to Giant - maybe they come forward with some solution. I will let you know what happens.
    Hope for the best now...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  78. #378
    Any given singletrack!
    Reputation: blue_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    82
    Well, that was quick. Got a call from LBS this morning - Giant will not replace the frame since it is out of warranty. They offered me new frame without rear shock for 670 EUR (around 790 USD) and that's more than I am willing to pay. I won't make a fuss out of it (warranty is clearly 5 years and my broke after 6 1/2) but I was kinda hoping they would offer me new frame for a cheap price or at least front triangle.

    I will probably order On One Inbred 26er steel hardtail for half the mentioned price (with shipping and appropriate diameter seatpost) to migrate my 26" parts and keep riding.

  79. #379
    WillWorkForTrail
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,799
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_dragon View Post
    Well, that was quick. Got a call from LBS this morning - Giant will not replace the frame since it is out of warranty. They offered me new frame without rear shock for 670 EUR (around 790 USD) and that's more than I am willing to pay. I won't make a fuss out of it (warranty is clearly 5 years and my broke after 6 1/2) but I was kinda hoping they would offer me new frame for a cheap price or at least front triangle.

    I will probably order On One Inbred 26er steel hardtail for half the mentioned price (with shipping and appropriate diameter seatpost) to migrate my 26" parts and keep riding.
    It's not a bad price on the frame, but I understand your stance on the money situation, and applaud your decision to move on. Thanks for following up with us.

  80. #380
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    254
    That's a better price than I could find on any Anthem frame when mine cracked, so a new one for that price would have been great. I just got a 2017 Anthem and I hope I don't have to go through this again. That area is definitely stronger on the new frame. Wish you well with the On One. That bike was on my list too but I just can't go back to a hardtail.

  81. #381
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,707
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_dragon View Post
    Well, that was quick. Got a call from LBS this morning - Giant will not replace the frame since it is out of warranty. They offered me new frame without rear shock for 670 EUR (around 790 USD) and that's more than I am willing to pay. I won't make a fuss out of it (warranty is clearly 5 years and my broke after 6 1/2) but I was kinda hoping they would offer me new frame for a cheap price or at least front triangle.

    I will probably order On One Inbred 26er steel hardtail for half the mentioned price (with shipping and appropriate diameter seatpost) to migrate my 26" parts and keep riding.
    will your current shock fit the new Giant frame?

    also, did you counter with something lower or their price with shock included given that you are otherwise moving on to On One? I suspect they will say “nope” but sometimes they surprise you.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  82. #382
    Any given singletrack!
    Reputation: blue_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    82
    Why wouldn't the shock fit? They offered me the same frame, just in different color. I'm surprised they even have 7 years old frame sitting in some warehouse. But since this is identical frame, there's a significant probability the new one would crack also at some point and for €670 this is not an option for me.

    Anyway, sometime this morning Inbred went on sale - €177 for the frame. At this price it's a no brainer, I always wanted to have steel hardtail. I've also added a bunch of other stuff to the basket - new chainring, sprocket, chain (mine are worn out - would need to replace them anyway), some tools I still don't have, winter gloves and I still need to send my FOX fork for regular service. All of it together will cost me less than Anthem X frame alone.

    I had lovely rides on this bike and am sad it cracked but the story is over and I'm moving on. If I decide I can't live without full squisher there's plenty of options for the years to come.

  83. #383
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,707
    i missed that it is the exact same frame. you are better off with On One, and especially at lower sale price


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  84. #384
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by koedi View Post
    I'll contact my LBS anyway.
    Update.

    LBS had gone bankrupt. Contacted local importer who made warranty reclaim in August and I tried to get update on the situation and it seems that importer has gone bankrupt as well.

    Nice.

    Posted on Giant's facebook and tweeted with Giant tagged. Let's see what happens.

  85. #385
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by koedi View Post
    Let's see what happens.
    Found and got hold of new importer who will take a look at this. No attention from Giant's social media.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234