Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    ~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBox View Post
    They don't make the carbon version in XL though (well they didn't when I was looking to buy one), do you think that is to limit the size of the riders or because they didn't think they'd sell enough?
    Probably a financial decision for Giant not to invest in an XL mold...

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBox View Post
    I did mention to the guys in the bikeshop that I was probably too big for the bike, they said that's crap, the bike should be fine. They said that they had sold them to bigger guys than me who hadn't experienced any problems.
    The bikeshop guys have their heads up their butts (no offense) Most of the time they are just short term hired hands there to sell sell sell for the owner, and can almost guarantee you they don't jack about how various manufacturers design frames, and what type of riders and style of riders those frames are designed for.

Just because "Solo" the 320lb Samoan they sold an Anthem to last week hasn't been in for repair yet, they think are the experts. Meanwhile Solo's 9 year old child was the real recipient of the Anthem...

Anyway... Not saying your gonna have issues with your replacement and I sure hope you don't! But the Anthem is a very light weight frame, it is what it is
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    To be fair, this is a very good shop. The guys who work there are all riders and have been working there for a long time. Obviously they have an objective to sell bikes, but they do always offer good advice and I've personally been disuaded from buying an expensive carbon road bike in favour of something more sensible (but still for the road ).

~Reformed Mechanic~
    No matter, but it seems you should be okay, 250lb is within reasonable rider weight limits and if Giant didn't plan for at least 250lbs of rider on their XL frames than thats their bad...

btx
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You can add me to the list of folks with a cracked anthem. Mine is a 2011 L, cracked at the seatpost to top tube junction. The dealer has been great to work with so far, so hopefully it has a happy ending. I'm not an extreme rider at all. Surprised to have this issue.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Another one to the list, this just happened today on my 2012 anthem 29er 2. just 7 months old....such an unusual spot eh? i ride XC down in south florida and don't push it too hard. My previous bike was a 2011 spec enduro that cracked at the seat tube/top bar weld last summer. My LBS has been awesome, i hope it'll turn out right in the end.

Epic rider
    Looks like it originated from the weld of the cable stop. Bad welding. (running downstairs to check my AX29 ;-)

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9100 met Tapatalk
    12 Anthem X29
    13 XTC 29

07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    2012 Anthem X 29er 0, less than 6 months old. Missed one month of riding already from previous issues with the rear shock until it got serviced.

Love the ride of a FS-29er (26" HT last year when I started with mtb) and instantly felt at home on the Anthem, but it irks me off not being able to ride. Many are the times I wish I picked the other option that was available at the time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anthem X cracked frames.-dsc_0888.jpg  

~Reformed Mechanic~
    endurorider, Sox - Do you mind me asking what you guys weight? Im surprised to be seeing the 2012's as I thought Giant had addressed cracking and welding issues... Mine is a 2012 also and I dont consider myself a "lightweight"...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm 210lbs/95kg ready to ride with camelback on my back so nothing out of the ordinary for my 6'3"/190cm.
    Funny thing is I saw it when cleaning the bike for a race, didn't notice anything on the 60km ride the day before on all sorts of trails/roads. Felt a bit sick when I spotted it, my first ever race a couple days later which was my only goal this year and also by the fact that we were sprinting quite fast on some gravel parts with that crack already there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I weight 175, with gear and camel back maybe 185? I noticed the crack inbetween a trail while taking a breather. Was shocked it was breaking there at that point. Interesting enough was that at the lbs we pushed down on the seat and noticed that it flexed at that spot before being compressed by the rear suspension, bad welding at a critical stress point?

Thank goodness I have a backup bike ( a 2010 enduro pro, my 2001 enduro fsr also cracked at the weld by the top tube. Got frustrated waiting for a warranty replacement (5 month wait), so I bought this one)

Will keep you all updated on what happens next

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Dang fella's tough break... literally ... Good luck to you both

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Giant is sending me a new frame, unfortunately the ETA is week 38 so still two more weeks. Best case scenario is early in the week so the LBS can rebuild it and I get two weekends of riding in september, not getting my hopes up though.

bike wisperer
    Are you guys landing jumps while seated? I am 6'2" and 220 on the bike with my pack. I raced, rode hard, crashed and abused my 2011 Anthem 29er for 2 years. The frame is perfect. My riding buddy is 6" 3" and 5 or 10 pounds heavier and rides his 2012 Anthem 29er harder than I do. Over 1,000 miles this year alone. No problems.
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It all depends where you rode those 1000 miles. The last version of the frame has not broken which was the tapered frame. All others I broke within 6 months. You also have to realize that if a frame keeps breaking in the same place the manufacturer can change the way he has been building the frame to make it stronger.
    Myrtle Beach Mountain Biker YMCA 62nd Avenue
    http://www.facebook.com/mtbriding

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka View Post
    Are you guys landing jumps while seated? I am 6'2" and 220 on the bike with my pack. I raced, rode hard, crashed and abused my 2011 Anthem 29er for 2 years. The frame is perfect. My riding buddy is 6" 3" and 5 or 10 pounds heavier and rides his 2012 Anthem 29er harder than I do. Over 1,000 miles this year alone. No problems.
    my 2012 just cracked - 10 months old, somewhere abouts 2800km, all offroad.

When I think about it, I certainly stay seated to maximize efficiency- the most stressful thing for that part of the frame i would guess is being seated over dipping undulations - big ones and jumps you are always out of the saddle, but not the smaller ones.

Its unlikely to be how hard you go down hill or how you corner, and its not the kind of spot for crashes either. i think high seatpost position might well be a risk, road bike height for seating tends to make you stand a little less and put more weight on your seat

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

2012 Anthem X 29er 1 cracks.

Developed a small crack on my 2012 Anthem X 29er 1 near the rear shock mounts. Took it to my Giant LBS and got a call the next day to let me know they were sending me a replacement frame and to ask if the new color scheme would be alright. I also had some minor hairline cracking occur around the top tube and seat post junction but not to the extent others have seen.

My riding style is usually described as extremely aggressive but I live in the low country of South Carolina so the average elevation change on a trail is maybe 30 feet; a few small table tops and doubles but that's it. No significant wrecks with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anthem X cracked frames.-2012anthemx29er1framecrack.jpg  

Anthem X cracked frames.-2012anthemx29er1framecrack2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    Do you mind me asking what you guys weight?
    I was wondering the same thing, but I am actually only about 150lbs. I was also interested if any of the frames that have cracked have been small frames, or mostly medium and large size frames.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mevadus View Post
    I was wondering the same thing, but I am actually only about 150lbs. I was also interested if any of the frames that have cracked have been small frames, or mostly medium and large size frames.
    I'm 85kg or 187lbs, 6'1.5". Std seat post gives me enough height with 15mm from minimum insertion point.

As an update, got my new 2013 frame/shock over the weekend, but also bought a specialized camber for my general trail riding as well. When you look at other bike frames you can definitely see that the anthems seatube top tube junction is its weakest point - most other frames have a small triangle at that junction or much larger toptubes

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy View Post
    When you look at other bike frames you can definitely see that the anthems seatube top tube junction is its weakest point - most other frames have a small triangle at that junction or much larger toptubes
    Thats not true at all, a couple manufacturers use a triangles, most in this class dont. One needs to distinguish between a tough "trail bike" and a "racing bike".

I blame the bike shop sales personally, heres why...

Guy walks into LBS - "Hi Id like a good FS 29er mountain bike at the best price"

Sales - "Oh you need an Anthem X, its the best priced mountain bike on the market"

Guy - "Great gimmie six of them"... Yadda Yadda... This is whats wrong with LBS's approach...

This is what SHOULD be happening that is NOT happening in our LBS...

Guy walks into LBS - "Hi Id like a good FS 29er mountain bike at the best price"

Sales - "How long have you been riding, whats your expertise level and which trails do you intend to use it?"

Guy - "I dunno... I had a huffy when I was 12... Im like 220lbs.. and need to ride the Colorado Rockies Next week with it"...

Sales - "Stay away from the Anthem X, you'll crack that sucker just looking at it. So lets get you setup on the WFO or Perhaps a nice RIP 9"

Guy - "Cool boss, im so glad I didn't buy a 5lb racing aluminum framed FS 29er and crack that sucker after 2 rides... My life is now complete"

mtbr member

Anthem X cracked frames.

Quote Originally Posted by enfig View Post
    I've been using my Anthem X29 1 frame for more than a year and more than 2000 miles,during all I haven't had any issues at all.
    I'm 6'1" tall, my weight is 202 pounds and I'm using a large frame size.
    I really like the bike I hope it will last many years more.
    After nine months of my previous post, my bike broke. The crack happened in the lower shock mount, near the intersection of the seat tube and the down tube. It happened on the right mount, near the chainring. By reading this posts I realized I'm not the only one with this kind of crack.
    Last edited by enfig; 02-19-2013 at 10:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy View Post
    I'm 85kg or 187lbs, 6'1.5". Std seat post gives me enough height with 15mm from minimum insertion point.

As an update, got my new 2013 frame/shock over the weekend, but also bought a specialized camber for my general trail riding as well. When you look at other bike frames you can definitely see that the anthems seatube top tube junction is its weakest point - most other frames have a small triangle at that junction or much larger toptubes
    Well, I can somewhat see that being true on my Anthem. I currently ride a 2009 Anthem X1, that has 26" wheels. I havent had any problems, yet, and Ive been riding it pretty hard in Florida, Colorado, and now here in Alaska. I am not hoping it breaks, but wouldnt mind an excuse to pickup a Norco Killer B. Going back through the posts, it appears more owners with 29" wheels are having this problem, vice those with 26". Is there any truth to this? I do enjoy the heck out of this bike, though...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mevadus View Post
    it appears more owners with 29" wheels are having this problem, vice those with 26". Is there any truth to this? I do enjoy the heck out of this bike, though...
    I will say the earlier version of the anthem, non-tapered, was a lot weaker on the 26". I kept braking those frames every 6 months. I have not broken the replacement which is a 2011 X1 tapered frameset. However, I am not to sure if it is because it got better. I moved away from Florida which believe it or not can really mess up bikes real fast.
    Myrtle Beach Mountain Biker YMCA 62nd Avenue
    http://www.facebook.com/mtbriding

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ehidalgo01 View Post
    I will say the earlier version of the anthem, non-tapered, was a lot weaker on the 26". I kept braking those frames every 6 months. I have not broken the replacement which is a 2011 X1 tapered frameset. However, I am not to sure if it is because it got better. I moved away from Florida which believe it or not can really mess up bikes real fast.
    Hmmm... So I might actually be riding a ticking time bomb, ehh..? Well, if I do end up breaking it, it will definitely be here in Alaska. The trails here are a lot of fun, and a bike with 5" of front suspension travel here is optimal over one with only 4". Funny thing is, I just swapped the spacer in my Fox Vanilla fork to give it about 5" of travel. So far the Anthem frame has held up, but if and when it goes, I will be looking forward to picking up a new frame/bike.

mtbr member
    I am looking at a 2011 Anthem X3 XL that is in excellent condition that has upgrades for a good price. I have been reading some about the frames cracking, I'm 6"1" and about 230 right now(i took a year off with back and knee issues) I will get back down to 210 maybe lower once i start riding again. Should i be concerned about the frame cracking and looking for a different model of bike?

mtbr member
    I just got my Anthem X2 2011 and I have been reading a lot on these cracked frames. Kinda scary but I am confident in Giants customer service since my friend is the original owner. I am 220lbs, 5'09". I am planning to take 4lbs off a month till I get to my ideal weight of 185-190.
    Should I worry about any kind of cracking on this bike. Thank you guys. I love these forums.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast