Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have a 2011 X1 frame that i have ridden hard for more than 10 months now. Previously I had cracked about three other frames. I think is worth every penny. The only thing they are going to replace is the front triangle. So in that regards I don't think it should be very expensive. I say try to replace it.
    Quote Originally Posted by andreitor View Post
    Hi everybody. I just joined this thread. I have an 2011 anthem X1. Yesterday after 3 days cross country training trip I found a huge crack on my top tube. I am very worried since I bought this bike in the USA and I bought it to mu home country (Argentina). I am not very pleased with the comments I found in this forum and I am afraid of spending a lot of money with international delivery services to receive a new frame which is going to develop the same problem...
    What is your experience with 2012 frames ? Did giant address this problem in new frame sets? Any suggestions or ideas?
    TNX
    Myrtle Beach Mountain Biker YMCA 62nd Avenue
    http://www.facebook.com/mtbriding

mtbr member
    Cracked my 11 X1 once last season, now it's making noises like it might be cracked again. Hopefully not though...

mtbr member
    Any stories of 2011-12 cracked Trance X?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    My 2012 Anthem X0 cracked last weekend. Warranty replacement is on the way and hope to be riding by this weekend. So far I would say the support from Giant has been very good.

mtbr member
    I've been using my Anthem X29 1 frame for more than a year and more than 2000 miles,during all I haven't had any issues at all.
    I'm 6'1" tall, my weight is 202 pounds and I'm using a large frame size.
    I really like the bike I hope it will last many years more.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    strange that some guys have had several frames break and many of us have never had an issue? My '09 X1 frame is still going strong. I am 90kg and love small jumps and drops, and the bike still going strong....maybe its time to crack the frame for an upgrade (joking...am saving up in anticipation of the Trance 29er!)

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by wpodriver View Post
    My 2012 Anthem X0 cracked last weekend. Warranty replacement is on the way and hope to be riding by this weekend. So far I would say the support from Giant has been very good.
    That stinks... I thought Giant recalled and fixed the issues in 2011... Guess not?
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

what a joke
    I have cracked my 2011 X1 Anthem 29er. Found the crack a few weeks ago. Giant were straight on to it. LBS now has the replacement frame, parts should be swapped over early next week Bike is still rideable

Mine is cracked down near the intersection of lower shock mount and the down tube to seat tube. 2 hair line cracks on either side of the mount.

My frame is an XL, the LBS has seen the same crack on a medium frame that was replaced.

Got to say, I'm a HUGE fan of Giant's warranty service!
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I would rather prefer to have a lifetime frame than a lifetime warranty... It is not funny to wait for a frame replacement and I hate to be afraid of having the same problem in the future!!!!!!

Tactical Nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by andreitor View Post
    I would rather prefer to have a lifetime frame than a lifetime warranty... It is not funny to wait for a frame replacement and I hate to be afraid of having the same problem in the future!!!!!!
    That's the thing bud, don't worry about it and ride. If it happens, then deal with it. Yes, this thread makes it seem like there are a lot of cracked frames out there, but think about how many Anthems that are out there with no issues. I would guess, thousands. Probably even tens of thousands, with no crack issues at all. Ride it like you love it, and if it cracks, deal with it then, and as this thread also shows, Giant is there to step up and take care of you. I will be riding my Anthem this weekend, just like I did before I came across this thread, as I will not let it bother me.
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - http://teamdirt.org/

~Reformed Mechanic~

Yep you said it...

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    That's the thing bud, don't worry about it and ride. If it happens, then deal with it. Yes, this thread makes it seem like there are a lot of cracked frames out there, but think about how many Anthems that are out there with no issues. I would guess, thousands. Probably even tens of thousands, with no crack issues at all. Ride it like you love it, and if it cracks, deal with it then, and as this thread also shows, Giant is there to step up and take care of you. I will be riding my Anthem this weekend, just like I did before I came across this thread, as I will not let it bother me.
    This is true, you must figure most of the posts on here are likely the majority of all the breakage issues. Based on how much we all love to talk and post about the negative things as soon as we have an issue like this (myself included).

Besides there is no such thing as a "lifetime frame" anyway. There is no frame not susceptible to breakage or failure, but I can tell you there are many companies that do not offer lifetime warranties, so if I HAD to choose I would take the warranty over hoping for something unrealistic

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I just wanted to share with you guys my sadness...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anthem X cracked frames.-img_1051.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    ^ sorry to see that...looks an odd place to break though...I always figured the breaks would be really close to the welds, if not in the welds as that is were the most stress would be, rather than out in tube like that? Was that JRA or after a crash?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    No crash, I am not an aggressive rider. It started a couple of months ago... A little scratch appeared.. At that time I thought it was paint damage. Two weeks ago after a long ride the scratch grew up as you can see...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    No crash, I am not an aggressive rider. It started a couple of months ago... A little scratch appeared.. At that time I thought it was paint damage. Two weeks ago after a long ride the scratch grew up as you can see...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Anthem 29er X1 bottom crack

Just found a crack in a gusset at the down tube/seat tube/shock junction of my 11 month old Anthem 29er X1

I knew I shouldn't have washed it (would have been blissfully unaware otherwise)

What's the going rate for a change over or do some dealers/Giant throw that in? (bought from the LBS who is doing the warranty claim).

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CRogge View Post
    Update on the warranty: I received a new 2011 Anthem X2 frame within less than a week of finding the break! It took a little while to get in the lower headset and press fit BB, but it was well worth it! I picked up a new, tapered Sid fork to make the most of the frame. I've put about 30 miles on it since I finished the rebuild on Friday and I have to say that the new frame is a great improvement. I never thought the old frame had too much flex, but the new one definitely seems to track better and inspire more confidence, even with a 9mm QR in the front.
    Hi.

GIANT local seller is going to replace my 2011' cracked frame-set for a new 2012'. I am worried about 2011 overdrive -2012 overdrive 2 and other components compatibility. Any warnings/suggestions about this????

Epic rider
    Only diff is top part of headset, frames are equal.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9100 met Tapatalk
    12 Anthem X29
    07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Gutted, washing my bike down yesterday after a nice local loop and discovered a crack in the usual spot…

This is my second frame, original bike was a 2010 Anthem X2, that cracked within a year and frame was replaced under warranty for the 2010 X0 (the brushed aluminium version).

Have fired off some photos to my dealer who was fantastic last time round, hope they haven’t grown fed up with these claims since then. Last time I had a full frame and shock replaced but it took a few weeks. I have a mtb’ing trip booked and paid for next weekend, think I might be losing my deposit Was really looking forward to it…

I am a big guy 6’4” 250lbs, ride an XL frame with the seat out a long way, but within the limit (original post). I don’t like my wheels to come off the floor any more than they absolutely have to and tend to ride a lot slower on the downhill sections than I used to.

If the opportunity arises to get a different Giant frame what would you guys suggest? I don’t want to lose too much of the xc ability, but would be willing to make a compromise for something a little sturdier than the Anthem. I suppose the problem then would that I have 100mm from the Anthem and the other frames would need something a little longer to match up with the rear end.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hi everybody,

GIANT seller is going to replace my 2011' cracked frame. He said that GIANT factory is going to replace only the front triangle, but he is not sure about how is going to be the replacement part (2011? 2012? / color scheme)

I have some questions:

- I would like to go for a L size frame instead of the M I am currently using. Is it possible to use the rear triangle in the new L frame? are they compatible? (GIANT size chart indicates chain stay length is the same for all sizes but I am not sure about the rest of the rear triangle geometry).

- Any news about 2013 new frame geometry / color scheme? Would you guys to wait for a couple of weeks in order to get a bran new 2013 frame?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hi everybody,

GIANT seller is going to replace my 2011' cracked frame. He said that GIANT factory is going to replace only the front triangle, but he is not sure about how is going to be the replacement part (2011? 2012? / color scheme)

I have some questions:

- I would like to go for a L size frame instead of the M I am currently using. Is it possible to use the rear triangle in the new L frame? are they compatible? (GIANT size chart indicates chain stay length is the same for all sizes but I am not sure about the rest of the rear triangle geometry).

- Any news about 2013 new frame geometry / color scheme? Would you guys to wait for a couple of weeks in order to get a bran new 2013 frame?

~Reformed Mechanic~
    I don't mean this in response to anyone in particular who might have posted but I have seen a common theme with the cracked frames...

It would seem Gaint might do well to have a weight limit on the Anthem X

Im not being a wiseass btw... Think about it, what does an Anthem X Alu frame weigh? Something like 5 lbs?? Pretty sure my AX frame is as light as my last lightweight Carbon Frame. I mean they did a great job cutting weight on the Anthem X but your average consumer doesn't think about weight limits of a frame or what type of riding its designed for, they just like the feel and want to ride the thing.

If Giant had built a 6+ lb Anthem X frame we likely would not hear about so much breakage. On the other hand, I myself would probably not have bought the bike if it weighted that much... And on another side, if I weighed 200+ I would probably be more comfortable riding a RIP9 or something with some beef to it ya know?

Maybe Giant needs to put a disclaimer or weight limit on the Anthem X? What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    sort of... they may give you a crash replacement deal, which will be cheaper. That's the risk you take with buying any used bike. I'm not aware of any companies honoring a warranty for a 2nd owner.
    What if the bike is new, never registered but was not purchased at a local LBS? Will i be able to register it for warranty without proof of purchase from a Giant dealer?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    To close out on mine, Giant supplied a new 2012 Anthem X frame and shock based on the photos I sent to my dealer. Dealer swapped everything over for me free of charge. The only thing they did try to charge me for was a replacement bottom bracket which is press fit on the 2012 frame, when the guy serving me asked if I'd agreed to pay for it up front and I said no, he simply removed the charge.

The replacement frame came with a reducer for the headset as the newer frame is tapered, I thought there would be a new headset to pay for so that was a nice surprise.

I also managed to get a Yeti SB66 speced and built in time for my mtb'ing weekend away, so I didn't lose my deposit and am now the proud owner of two shiney new mtb's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    I don't mean this in response to anyone in particular who might have posted but I have seen a common theme with the cracked frames...

It would seem Gaint might do well to have a weight limit on the Anthem X

Im not being a wiseass btw... Think about it, what does an Anthem X Alu frame weigh? Something like 5 lbs?? Pretty sure my AX frame is as light as my last lightweight Carbon Frame. I mean they did a great job cutting weight on the Anthem X but your average consumer doesn't think about weight limits of a frame or what type of riding its designed for, they just like the feel and want to ride the thing.

If Giant had built a 6+ lb Anthem X frame we likely would not hear about so much breakage. On the other hand, I myself would probably not have bought the bike if it weighted that much... And on another side, if I weighed 200+ I would probably be more comfortable riding a RIP9 or something with some beef to it ya know?

Maybe Giant needs to put a disclaimer or weight limit on the Anthem X? What do you guys think?
    It is a tough call and I was thinking along the same lines, the Anthem is designed to be what it is, a lightweight XC bike, which is why we all bought them. A heavyweight XC bike for fat blokes isn't quite as appealing is it... They don't make the carbon version in XL though (well they didn't when I was looking to buy one), do you think that is to limit the size of the riders or because they didn't think they'd sell enough?

I did mention to the guys in the bikeshop that I was probably too big for the bike, they said that's crap, the bike should be fine. They said that they had sold them to bigger guys than me who hadn't experienced any problems.

The top tube on the 2012 frame actually seems to be thinner where it meets the seat tube than the 2010 was, but there is definitely more welding going on there.

Fingers crossed!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast