Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    I just let one RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan55 View Post
    dont need a new fork. just need a lower reducer cup, and possibly upper reducer cup if you get a 2012 frame with the 1.25 upper.

dont need new cranks, just a press in BB.

should be less than $100 for both parts and the lbs should do the work for free along with swapping your parts over

pretty sweet deal for getting a newer lighter stiffer frame for just $100
    All good info except the highlighted parts. Last I had checked, Giant only comps the labor for the first 60 days. Per Giant's website: "Unless within the free 60-day repair labor period, you will be responsible for labor costs associated with warranty replacements."

So the shop may charge to swap parts over. However, some shops do swap parts for free, in which case you're getting a bonus because they're eating the labor (50-100 bucks depending on the shop to swap parts, generally.)

At any rate, there are only a few Anthem X's around here, but none have needed warranty, yet.
    A ride a day keeps the therapist away.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for the photo, thats clear, thats cracked ...

I run a smaller dia post, and it flexes a lot, hopes this helps.
    I do a kind of rough riding in the Alps, an I am not light.
    If this for me great fitting frame survive 5 yrs, I am happy to buy a new one.

mtbr member
    sort of... they may give you a crash replacement deal, which will be cheaper. That's the risk you take with buying any used bike. I'm not aware of any companies honoring a warranty for a 2nd owner.
    I would be happy with a crash replacement deal. It just discouraging, before I bought my 2009 Anthem X frame I Googled and searched the forums for frame problems with the Anthems and found none...except with the 29er models. So I pulled the trigger and bought it, then this post shows up and now it seems my frame is developing the same crack as illustrated by CRogge.

Guess I'll be flushing $700 dollars down the drain after having it for a whole 2 months and I'll be back on my hardtail

mtbr member
    Update on the warranty: I received a new 2011 Anthem X2 frame within less than a week of finding the break! It took a little while to get in the lower headset and press fit BB, but it was well worth it! I picked up a new, tapered Sid fork to make the most of the frame. I've put about 30 miles on it since I finished the rebuild on Friday and I have to say that the new frame is a great improvement. I never thought the old frame had too much flex, but the new one definitely seems to track better and inspire more confidence, even with a 9mm QR in the front.
    Ride More

mtbr member

No deal for me.....new bike

No deal for me from Giant....so I'm moving on. Pivot Mach 4 frame on it's way, brand new with warranty

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by anesthesia-matt View Post
    No deal for me from Giant....so I'm moving on. Pivot Mach 4 frame on it's way, brand new with warranty
    how so? did you buy the frame used?
    The mountains are calling and I must go

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan55 View Post
    how so? did you buy the frame used?
    Yep, I was the second owner, so I knew the warranty was out of the picture. I went to the LBS to see if Giant would cut me a deal with a "crash replacement" frame at a reduced cost....but no dice.

So, after reading all the rave reviews about the Pivot Mach 4 and the sudden increase of cracking Anthem X frames I decided to go with the Pivot. Brand new this time, original owner, full warranty.......lesson learned

EDIT: Heard over the weekend from a Pivot dealer that the 2011 frames are going on a closeout sale....can't pass it up.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Ok. I've cracked two Anthem X frames. The first one was a a black and gray 2009 frame and the second one was an all white 2010 frame. It was in the same spot that all giants break. Another local rider broke the frame the same way. It has been six months since they replaced my frame for a 2011 and the frame is still intact. I replaced my seat post for a longer Thompson one. So far so good. The new frame is a lot stiffer!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    So, your a X cracker for sure...
    Damn, now I am wondering...
    Keep using my 27,9 seatpost with shim (10 cm long shim, 350mm long post thats is on the min insert length)
    This flexes nicely, so I think loads will be dispersed nicely. It has served well over a year, in a 09 frame, in AM trips in the alps...

Or get a 30.9 400mm new seatpost.. that will fit rigid... hmmmm doubts..

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Are you high?
    Quote Originally Posted by leov View Post
    So, your a X cracker for sure...
    Damn, now I am wondering...
    Keep using my 27,9 seatpost with shim (10 cm long shim, 350mm long post thats is on the min insert length)
    This flexes nicely, so I think loads will be dispersed nicely. It has served well over a year, in a 09 frame, in AM trips in the alps...

Or get a 30.9 400mm new seatpost.. that will fit rigid... hmmmm doubts..

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    know of a bloke that broke his 2011 anthem X1 medium at the seat post top tube junction, frame was replaced asap. reckon he is 75kg wringing wet. Giant replaced at asap. i have 3 giant mtb, have had several never had one break myself... yet

mtbr member
    Does Giant offer upgrades to the carbon version for warranty replacement for an additional fee?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CRogge View Post
    I found a crack at the seat tube-top tube junction on my '09 Anthem X today. I stopped by the shop where I bought it and I should be getting a new one soon. I'm just wondering what replacement options I'll be getting. If they offer me a current frame, I'm not sure how I'll go about adapting my fork to the newer, tapered head tube or the cranks to the newer press-fit BB.
    Just found out my 11 AX1 has the exact same crack. I heard it pop some time ago but didn't realize what it was until I was cleaning it up today.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Update on the New 2011 frame: Broke it!!!! It is so disappointing to keep breaking frames left and right. Right now this is my fourth frame.

I'm loving how it feels but it gets tiring not to mention the downtime.

Dicatorsauraurus I asked the rep and he said they don't offered that plus he mentioned that the carbon might break easily from a fall.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Carbon

Considering a 2012 Anthem X Advanced SL0. Have there been any reports of earlier carbon frames failing?

mtbr member
    I'm planning on purchasing an anthem at the end of the year and I WAS going to buy used until I came across this thread. I'll gladly pay more $$ to get the lifetime warranty though. Thanks everyone.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I wouldn't buy this garbage at all (unfortunately I have). It's hard to find another frame that fails so often. Says a lot about Giant's attitude towards testers, sorry, customers.
    At least in USA you have good customer service.
    In Poland, where I come from, no matter how well you treat your Giant, if it fails, it's always owner's fault (it has been mentioned here already). And you are left with 1000$ worth of junk.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Koen View Post
    I wouldn't buy this garbage at all (unfortunately I have). It's hard to find another frame that fails so often. Says a lot about Giant's attitude towards testers, sorry, customers.
    At least in USA you have good customer service.
    In Poland, where I come from, no matter how well you treat your Giant, if it fails, it's always owner's fault (it has been mentioned here already). And you are left with 1000$ worth of junk.
    Its not the wrong bike, its the wrong country.

lurking no more
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
    its not the wrong country, its the wrong polish dealer

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
    Nah, **** bikes. 4 frames in 12 months.

MTB B'dos
    No stakes in this game, but just curious how much post the guys who broke frames had out/exposed? Are any of you buy chance down sizing to a smaller frame to make it maybe more nimble, but then running loads of exposed post? Just happened across this thread today, but had never heard of this issue before, had heard of the recall on the 29er version though. Always found Giant to provide good bang for buck and recommend them often, so like to keep up on stuff like this. There's actually a heavier guy riding with our group who just bought one, so I guess slightly vested in this since he's new to MTBing and wouldn't have a clue about this, so won't mention it, but will check on the frame periodically for him.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    I had my seat post way past the minimum insertion point and the frame still cracked. I believe it was double the recommended minimum. I have a small frame but there is no way I could have went a medium due to clearance issues.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    No stakes in this game, but just curious how much post the guys who broke frames had out/exposed? Are any of you buy chance down sizing to a smaller frame to make it maybe more nimble, but then running loads of exposed post? Just happened across this thread today, but had never heard of this issue before, had heard of the recall on the 29er version though. Always found Giant to provide good bang for buck and recommend them often, so like to keep up on stuff like this. There's actually a heavier guy riding with our group who just bought one, so I guess slightly vested in this since he's new to MTBing and wouldn't have a clue about this, so won't mention it, but will check on the frame periodically for him.
    I'm a fairly hefty guy (230), and I've been putting my 09 Ax through it's paces for a couple of years now, with no problems [knocks on wood]..... and I don't ride "light" either. Not doing any big drops, but I'll get airborne every chance I get. Maybe it's just luck of the draw, when it comes to these frames breaking??

Tactical Nightmare
    I heard about this prior to committing to purchase my 2011 Anthem X 29er 2, and I still went through with the purchase, based on Giant's customer service reputation. Am I worried? Sure. Is it enough to stop me from buying the bike? No. I'll risk it, and if something happens, I'll contact Giant and go from there. I put a lot of weight into customer service, and to me, it sounds like Giant may be at the top of the list when it comes to that factor. At the same time, I did have my bike sized for me by a professional, which is another reason I like Giant......You have to buy through an authorized dealer, making sure they pair you to the right bike for your size and riding style. I shouldn't run into any issues with the seat tube because of that, but if I do, warranty here I come.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hi everybody. I just joined this thread. I have an 2011 anthem X1. Yesterday after 3 days cross country training trip I found a huge crack on my top tube. I am very worried since I bought this bike in the USA and I bought it to mu home country (Argentina). I am not very pleased with the comments I found in this forum and I am afraid of spending a lot of money with international delivery services to receive a new frame which is going to develop the same problem...
    What is your experience with 2012 frames ? Did giant address this problem in new frame sets? Any suggestions or ideas?
    TNX

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast