Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11
    mtbr member
    I could get behind being sent Carbon, but I don't know about 27.5 - I'm not sure I want to buy new wheels. I did finally get a look, up close and in person, at a 27.5 Anthem frame. It's much more stout in the areas it needs to be stronger in, based on the break locations in this thread.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Another cracked frame

It looks like I am in the same situation as the rest of you. Here is my dilemma and opinions are welcome.
    I bought my 2011 Anthem 29er x3 from my LBS. I went with the x3 because it was in my budget (barely) and I really digged the color scheme white. So fast forward. The small brace by the lower shock mount is cracked. I took it to the shop and the owner was very helpful as he always is. He took a couple of pics, talked to Giant and they were on board for giving me a new frame.
    Here is the problem. The only frame available at this point is 2014 x29er1. Great looking frame but they have to swap all of my components over. White brake lines, calipers, shock, seat, etc. I don't wanna sound shallow, but does anyone else think it's gonna look funky? I spent the money on the bike bc of the way it rode and the way it looked. Dunno. Tell me what you think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anthem X cracked frames.-anthem_x_3_29er_wht_blue_72dpiwide.jpg  

Anthem X cracked frames.-anthem_x_29er_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Not really I think it will look fine. Better than solid black "murdered out" look - at least you will have some color contrast going on.

mtbr member
    White bits on black will look good . Now if you had blue hoses going on a green bike, that would be a problem!

How are the hoses anyway? On my basic spec giant reign a couple of years ago, the white hoses were cracking after a year ( just the outside of course), though I did leave it in the sun a lot.

It's about showing up.
    Sell the new seat, put your old one on, go ride. I think you'll be pretty happy.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    The way I see it your options are either accept the (free) warranty frame and change your parts over, or go buy a new bike that it sounds like maybe you don't want to spend the money for. I once had an ugly bird dog, but he could hunt circles around much prettier dogs. A lot of guys made fun of my ugly bird dog, but a lot of them went home with empty game pockets, and I didn't. Ask yourself this: Is that ugly dog of yours going to hunt, or not?

rubber side down
    Yours is a 2011? Get the new frame and upgrade some parts and go rip!
    TAOS on pinkbike

mtbr member
    Ive got 2 black anthems and changed out all my hoses to white it looks killer!
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Who cares, get the new frame and ride man!
    2013 Anthem Advanced 29er
    1999 Turner 02
    Raced for Mongoose Bikes from Alum,Carbon to TI.
    1987 Redline Mountain bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri View Post
    Good news! New bike (almost) day soon!
    My replacement frame just cracked in the same spot as my original frame. XL, top tube/seat tube junction, just in front of the weld. This time, the break was almost clean through, throwing my rear end out and sucking my rear derailleur through a few spokes. Chain, front derailleur, rear derailleur, rear wheel (spokes only, rim is still good) and rear derailleur cable break were all casualties of this break. Crack happened on smooth gravel, so I was able to stop (versus crash) with no bodily injuries! Bike at shop for warranty purposes. Hope they come through again like last time!

XL frame, no jumps, wheels on ground most of the time (biggest drop is curb size stuff, so pretty tame), all XC riding, no gravity stuff, overbuild wheels (36 spoke count), rider 255lbs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I appreciate all the replies. Final decision is to go with the new frame but my LBS is going to try to get me a new seat, and a new headset. The anodized blue was a bit to much for me on the hs. Maybe I am a bit old school, but I really appreciate what the shop is trying to do for me. All of this haggle, and they're not charging me a dime. Big thanks to West Liberty Cycles in Pittsburgh!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri View Post
    My replacement frame just cracked in the same spot as my original frame. XL, top tube/seat tube junction, just in front of the weld. This time, the break was almost clean through, throwing my rear end out and sucking my rear derailleur through a few spokes. Chain, front derailleur, rear derailleur, rear wheel (spokes only, rim is still good) and rear derailleur cable break were all casualties of this break. Crack happened on smooth gravel, so I was able to stop (versus crash) with no bodily injuries! Bike at shop for warranty purposes. Hope they come through again like last time!

XL frame, no jumps, wheels on ground most of the time (biggest drop is curb size stuff, so pretty tame), all XC riding, no gravity stuff, overbuild wheels (36 spoke count), rider 255lbs.
    Well crap. Let us know how this turns out. I have a sneaking suspicion you'll be offered a carbon frame. I think they're starting to run out of AL frames. Probably because they're replacing so many of them.

mtbr member
    Yeah, it's a bummer. First frame was almost two years, replacement frame was less than six months (of actual riding). Turner Czar is on my list for spring 2015 so I'll probably sell the Giant at the end of the year.

mtbr member
    Replacement frame should be at the LBS tomorrow, making that a two business day turnaround. LBS will have bike put together by Saturday. Delay due to backorder on new chain ring, so not the shop's or Giant's fault. Again, superb warranty promptness!

mtbr member
    Replacement frame and bike build received last Friday. Eight day turnaround with three of those days waiting on parts other than the frame set. Excellent customer service from both the LBS and Giant.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11