mtbr member
    May 2006

Anthem X Advanced vs. Anthem X Frameset

What do I lose/gain performance and weight wise if I buy one over the other?

I'm currently thinking of buying the Anthem X Adavanced 1 bike with the XT build or buying the Anthem X frameset and building it how I want. The shock is the same from what I can tell, so basically I gain a carbon front triangle by getting the Anthem X Advanced 1.

Is that going to make much difference out on the trail?

Your Best Friend
    Does the Anthem X frameset come with the same rear shock? I can't check right now so I'm just wondering. The carbon frame will be lighter and stiffer, which is pretty much the advantage of carbon. If those two features don't mean anything to you, then skip it.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    They both have the Monarch RL rear shock.

davidcarson48
    I demo'd both. There is a noticeable different in stiffness between the AL and CF frames. Is it a must-have? No way. I have the Advanced 1 and my riding buddy has the AL 1. We both thoroughly enjoy our bikes and mine is only about a pound lighter than his (he is running Stans Arch EX wheelset). The biggest difference between the bikes is the feel of the suspension. My RS stuff rides much more firmly than his Fox bits.

Come on, dare me!
    I agree with David. I have a Giant Trance X Advanced SL and you can definitely feel the difference in stiffness, especially in the rear triangle when cornering. The weight difference is nominal, since you can always set up your (AL) bike with lightweight components to offset that difference. I'd say rigidity is the point, here.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Some good info to consider, especially since I weigh 220lbs. Stiffness would probably be the better way to go.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I am in the process of building up an advaced frame. The advantage to me is the ability to spec the bike exactly how I want it for close to what I would pay for the off the shelf bike.