mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Anthem X Advanced SL vs. Anthem X Advanced vs. Anthem X

Although I would really like to get the Anthem X Advanced SL I just don't think it's in the cards. It's not economical to purchase the frame alone and I can't justify, or afford, purchasing the entire bike since I have a complete XX group sitting in my basement from another bike.

Therefore I'm considering purchasing the Anthem X Advanced and selling the take-off parts and putting the XX on it. Is the Advanced frame worth the extra cost over the aluminum Anthem. How much lighter is the Advanced over the Aluminum or is it even lighter at all? I would assume that the Advanced SL is lighter than both.

I'm only interested in frame comparisons as I will be stripping most of the parts of whatever complete bike I purchase to make room for the XX.

mtbr member
    While the weight savings of the higher end frame is nice, the real advantage is going to be the extra stiffness of the carbon frame. I'm hoping for a carbon Anthem 29er frame this year for that very reason. You can feel the frame flexing a bit much in the rear end of the current aluminum version. Hoping the carbon version will be a bit stiffer.

Just my thoughts.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR1 View Post
    While the weight savings of the higher end frame is nice, the real advantage is going to be the extra stiffness of the carbon frame. I'm hoping for a carbon Anthem 29er frame this year for that very reason. You can feel the frame flexing a bit much in the rear end of the current aluminum version. Hoping the carbon version will be a bit stiffer.

Just my thoughts.
    The Anthem Advanced and Anthem both share aluminum rear ends so this may be a moot point. Unless you are saying its the front triangle that is allowing the rear to flex.

The Advanced SL has a carbon rear swingarm as well.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by DekerfTeamST View Post
    The Anthem Advanced and Anthem both share aluminum rear ends so this may be a moot point. Unless you are saying its the front triangle that is allowing the rear to flex.

I had an aluminum NRS (the Anthem's successor) and then later, a carbon front, aluminum rear NRS C1. I honestly did not notice much of a difference in stiffness, as most of the flex came from the rear end anyway.

Take from that what you want.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DekerfTeamST View Post

I think you would have to ride both and figure out where the flex is coming from and if you can tolerate it. I'm looking at a 29er so the frames will clearly be different, I felt the flex of the rear triangle and am hoping a carbon version will eliminate some of this flex.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Does anyone have the actual weights of the Anthem Alum X1 frame and the Anthem Advanced frame.

Apart from any stiffness advantage, I would like to know actual weight differences between the two frames (only Advanced carbon frame, can't afford Advanced SL)

Thanks.
    Ride Safe.

www.lighttouchchiropractic.com.au Manly Sydney

mtbr member
    My 2010 Anthem X in a medium (before tapper HT/press fit BB) was 2280 grams. No idea on the carbon. Not that this will help but just to show the minimal difference I can see the Tapper HT and press fit BB making, my new 2012 Anthem X 29er in a medium is only 200 grams heavier!
    2012 Anthem X 29er in the build process
    2010 Diamondback Mission

mtbr member
    Thanks Pock,
    All good info. Yes i'm wondering if the carbon/alum difference would be any more than about 150g.
    Ride Safe.

www.lighttouchchiropractic.com.au Manly Sydney

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by purdyboy View Post
    Thanks Pock,
    All good info. Yes i'm wondering if the carbon/alum difference would be any more than about 150g.
    Try this >>>>. 2010 Giant Mountain Bikes…New Full Carbon Anthem and Trance! - Bike Rumor
    2012 Anthem X 29er in the build process
    2010 Diamondback Mission

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    I had the very same thoughts also, but the 2010 Anthem X2 I have now weighs only 22.9 pounds and rides nearly IDENTICAL to the equivalent year Anthem X SLO:

It has since been upgraded to full SRAM XX and Stan's ZTR Crest wheelset...coming in at 22.1 pounds...
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"