mtbr member

Anthem X Advanced 1 (complete) or build up an Anthem X 2 alloy frame 29er

I can get the Advanced version (2013 year model with XT) for $3500. I also found an Anthem 2 allow frame for $800 that I could build up for less than than and probably lighter/similar weight complete, but without the carbon front frame. Any opinions on which way to go? Separate question: I like Shimano and what's the best way to get an XT (or XTR) groupset? Thanks!

Your Best Friend

Re: Anthem X Advanced 1 (complete) or build up an Anthem X 2 alloy frame 29er

If you can get the Advanced 1 for $3500, you should jump on it. The carbon frame is stiffer and lighter than the Aluxx frame. The XT components are great and the 1 comes with cool wheels. You'll also be getting a nice warranty as well. I think you'd be hard pressed to build a similar bike for less. That's about $1000 less than msrp for a brand new bike.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Actually, it's a brand new Anthem X 29er frame (not a stripped down 2) with warranty. With Stan's wheels, full XT kit, 'nice' fork, I would say it would run $2500-$3000 to fully build it. The carbon is worth the extra $500-$1000?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Anthem X Advanced 1 (complete) or build up an Anthem X 2 alloy frame 29er

I have the Advanced 1. It's a great bike. The XT gear is flawless. I like the way the carbon frame is finished with internal cables. Even the stock wheels are good. I would rather buy the complete bike.
    Is the carbon worth $500-1000? I think 500 yes, 1000 no.

Your Best Friend

Re: Anthem X Advanced 1 (complete) or build up an Anthem X 2 alloy frame 29er

Yes for the extra $500.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides