Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anthem x.......

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Anthem x.......

Hey, just picked up a copy of Mountain biking australia. They have a small photo of the new anthem x. Shock now seems to be mounted vertically like the trance / reign, but no swoopy hydoformed tubes. Unlike the new trance / reign frames, all the tubes seem fairly straight.

Its only a small photo, but Giant seem to have some weird arse colour coordinating thing going on with the fork lowers and crown being a light blue colour, as well as the front half of the steerer tube in the same colour. Oh and a white seat and grips.

The small write up mentions the frame is a little over 100 grams lighter than the previous model. Looks like they will also be doing a full review in the next issue, Nov / Dec / Jan.

Sorry dont have a scanner, so cant show you the photo.

Cheers

bi-winning
    Don't worry about the colours. It's not a production bike (yet.)

The fork pictures sounds like the latest Rock Shox SID world cup.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

X-Ray Guy
    ugh just a tease without pictures...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sicwombat
    Hey, just picked up a copy of Mountain biking australia. They have a small photo of the new anthem x. Shock now seems to be mounted vertically like the trance / reign, but no swoopy hydoformed tubes. Unlike the new trance / reign frames, all the tubes seem fairly straight.

Its only a small photo, but Giant seem to have some weird arse colour coordinating thing going on with the fork lowers and crown being a light blue colour, as well as the front half of the steerer tube in the same colour. Oh and a white seat and grips.

The small write up mentions the frame is a little over 100 grams lighter than the previous model. Looks like they will also be doing a full review in the next issue, Nov / Dec / Jan.

Sorry dont have a scanner, so cant show you the photo.

Cheers
    Did you check on here before posting, what you describe has already been posted here.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=434137

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Oh yeah, didnt see that. Although the picture in the magazine, although small, shows the whole bike.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Benno
    Try my above link, there are a few shots but not the whole bikeÖ

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by got beer?
    SWEET! I like it.

When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    What's on the front end of that orange thing?

bi-winning

The new...

Quote Originally Posted by Notahammer
    What's on the front end of that orange thing?
    ...Rock Shox SID.

mtbr member
    Wow, it looks great! I was worried. The black with blue looks killer. I think the orange would have looked better with a white bottom instead of the gray. Or maybe a richer gray. But I think i like it on the XO. sweet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I think it is Orange and Brushed Aluminum

X-Ray Guy
    the black and blue is on my shopping list for next year

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawz
    the black and blue is on my shopping list for next year
    We might not get those colors in the US. Shame, the black/blue kicks ass.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Mont St. Anne

Anyone get pictures of Craig's bike there?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Nice paint jobs, but they bike looks the same as last yr in terms of frame etc

Pretty disappointing to me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    09 stumpjumper isnt getting much upgrades this year.lucky giant anthem is...as it pretty much justify with the 15% hike.but i still find the current model nicer

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I love my '07 anthem frame. I don't see a need to change so soon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hi there - good work on the 09 Anthem X pics.

Does any one know if the maestro suspension design is the same between current and new 09 anthem - ie the only real difference between the current and 09 frame the 09 vertical shock design and travel increase and no change to the suspension dynamics/wheel path with possble weight reductions.

I am nervous I may need to trade my 07 white anthem 0 on the new 09 if the maestro system has been improved.

Thanks

B

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwibert
    Hi there - good work on the 09 Anthem X pics.

Does any one know if the maestro suspension design is the same between current and new 09 anthem - ie the only real difference between the current and 09 frame the 09 vertical shock design and travel increase and no change to the suspension dynamics/wheel path with possble weight reductions.

I am nervous I may need to trade my 07 white anthem 0 on the new 09 if the maestro system has been improved.

Thanks

B
    i dont really think there is any change in the masetro suspension system.i might be wrong.but from what i see....it remains the same

mtbr member
    I'm sure it has been changed slightly now that they are using the lower shock mount and lower pivot as the same mounting point (for weight savings). Whether or not it is an improvement is probably a matter of opinion.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hi All,

I have seen the Oz bike magazine as well, but the question is why did Giant do a 90 degrees turn on the Anthem and flip the horizontal rear sus to vertical?

Did the Giant designers wake up one day and realised that the world is not flat, but round and threw the original horizontal sus design into the rubbish bin and say, hey folks we made a mistake, vertical sus is the way to go......but what about the previous years of Anthems that we are riding? Is there any design fault in them? less efficient then the vertical sus? why the sudden about turn?

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by lattner
    Hi All,

I have seen the Oz bike magazine as well, but the question is why did Giant do a 90 degrees turn on the Anthem and flip the horizontal rear sus to vertical?

Did the Giant designers wake up one day and realised that the world is not flat, but round and threw the original horizontal sus design into the rubbish bin and say, hey folks we made a mistake, vertical sus is the way to go......but what about the previous years of Anthems that we are riding? Is there any design fault in them? less efficient then the vertical sus? why the sudden about turn?
    I don't know if the leverage ratio curve is much different, or if it is the same, but the change might just be for "style" or simply "change" to keep the line "fresh." There will be magazines which will review the new design, and bring more attention to the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    I don't know if the leverage ratio curve is much different, or if it is the same, but the change might just be for "style" or simply "change" to keep the line "fresh." There will be magazines which will review the new design, and bring more attention to the bike.
    The co-pivot presumably reduces weight (It did on the Trance and Reign.) as Benno mentioned, and the repositioning of the shock was probably necessary to eke out that extra 1/2" of travel, and potentially to tweak leverages.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I am interested to see what the rear shock positioning change does to the travel but one thing I notice is I will be able to get my water bottle in and out easier.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoloSteve
    I am interested to see what the rear shock positioning change does to the travel but one thing I notice is I will be able to get my water bottle in and out easier.
    And shoulder the bike easier which is useful in races and where I live.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    ......but what about the previous years of Anthems that we are riding? Is there any design fault in them? less efficient then the vertical sus? why the sudden about turn?
    There's absolutely no problem with the current anthem. I find it to be a perfect combination of plushness and efficiency. Mine weighs about 23.5 lbs and will be at 23 lbs with a few more tweaks. It makes a great xc and endurance bike. No problems here.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hi All,

Don't get me wrong, I love my Anthem bike as well, but when the Anthem bike 1st came out it was to replace the NRS. The NRS itself has a vertical shock, so we have a vertical replace by a horizontal, no idea whats going on there either and now it seems that Giant has done another U-turn.

There has been comparison done in this forum between the Anthem and NRS and now it seems that Giant has made the decision which shock position is preferred.

If this is a marketing ploy, why break the Anthem line? Can't there just give it a new series, rather then Anthem 09?

bi-winning
    i think people are getting too hung up on the vertical vs. horizontal orientation of the shock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    And shoulder the bike easier which is useful in races and where I live.

I dunno the Anthem is pretty good for this. Just grab the shock with your hand and rest the nose of the saddle on your shoulder. Only problem is it doesnt lift the bike up super high but it's perfect for girly men such as myself.

mtbr member
    General shock orientation has absolutely nothing to do with suspension behavior. It is all in the linkage and pivot point geometry and how they activate the shock.
    Ride More

mtbr member
    Is anybody else hoping that the Anthem X colors we are seeing on the Russian website aren't the colors we will be getting here in the US? I was planning on buying and Anthem X at the 1 or 0 level, but I just don't know about the orange or the baby blue.
    Ride More

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    How does the new cable routing on the down tube affect placing water bottle holders?

Can't remember ever seeing that kind of routing on a bike before but to my mind a holder would interfere unless it was designed specially??

Or am I way off?

Personally I could care less about shock position as long as the bikes goes fast and looks like it goes fast so can't wait to see these guys in the flesh.

Although the new SID does not look very cool. Give me a white FOX RLC anyday.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hi All,

Don't get me wrong, I love my Anthem bike as well, but when the Anthem bike 1st came out it was to replace the NRS. The NRS itself has a vertical shock, so we have a vertical replace by a horizontal, no idea whats going on there either and now it seems that Giant has done another U-turn.

There has been comparison done in this forum between the Anthem and NRS and now it seems that Giant has made the decision which shock position is preferred.

If this is a marketing ploy, why break the Anthem line? Can't there just give it a new series, rather then Anthem 09?

bi-winning
    Hi All,

dude, you made the same post an hour ago.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CRogge
    General shock orientation has absolutely nothing to do with suspension behavior. It is all in the linkage and pivot point geometry and how they activate the shock.

good knowledge

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gixer7
    How does the new cable routing on the down tube affect placing water bottle holders?

Can't remember ever seeing that kind of routing on a bike before but to my mind a holder would interfere unless it was designed specially??
    They must have designed the cable routing so you can get a bottle cage in between the RD and brake cable, otherwise it wouldnít be there. Thereís also a second bottle cage mount nr the BB on the down tube as well as the top of the down tube, somehow I donít see the onboard beverage system being a problem.

As far as cable routing goes, I think Giant has some of the best, they seal some positions where mud/water would run down and generally keep them out of the way unlike Specialized and others who run them on the down tube and under the BB so they get covered in mud, the cables only last 4 weeks if not properly sealed and it really scratches up the down tube.

mtbr member
    Giant have been using that cable routing on all of their bikes since 2007. As for the similarities between the Anthem X and NRS............are you kidding?

bi-winning
    As for the similarities between the Anthem X and NRS............are you kidding?
    Yeah, saying they made the X more like the NRS is hardly an accurate statement.

mtbr member
    I dunno the Anthem is pretty good for this. Just grab the shock with your hand and rest the nose of the saddle on your shoulder. Only problem is it doesnt lift the bike up super high but it's perfect for girly men such as myself.
    Really? I hadnít tried it that way on the Anthem, with my (size LG) Trance I put my arm through the front triangle and shoulder the top tube using my hand to take a bit of the weight off which is something that is not possible on most other bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    Really? I hadnít tried it that way on the Anthem, with my (size LG) Trance I put my arm through the front triangle and shoulder the top tube using my hand to take a bit of the weight off which is something that is not possible on most other bikes.
    Hey EGF168, just curious, what does your Trance weigh the way it's built?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by farmertan
    Hey EGF168, just curious, what does your Trance weigh the way it's built?
    About 27lbs with heavy flat pedals, sadly I have 2 weighing scales, one says 29lbs the other says 23lbs so I need to get some new digital scales but it feels pretty light to me.

The stock Trance 1 weighs 26.41 in size M.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Anthem X is all about streamlining the mtb line up. Most riders are not hard core XC racers. They want a light, plush XC bike with 100mm travel front and rear....thats what the Anthem X is. You get 20mm more travel and a more plush feel with no increase in weight.

I bought a Trance X2 and now I wish I had waited for the AnthemX since it will certianly be quicker handling and be almost as plush.

mtbr member

I think I'll build mine...

Like this (except with XT brakes on the front too! Sorry, lame photoshop attempt)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ride More

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by formulaone33
    Anthem X is all about streamlining the mtb line up. Most riders are not hard core XC racers. They want a light, plush XC bike with 100mm travel front and rear....thats what the Anthem X is. You get 20mm more travel and a more plush feel with no increase in weight.

I bought a Trance X2 and now I wish I had waited for the AnthemX since it will certianly be quicker handling and be almost as plush.

i got my ANTHEM team w/ rp23 shock with float 100rlc in the front.its much better feel this way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'm more than slightly embarrassed to post this video I found in another thread--it (and it's music) is terrible--but it contains some shots of the Anthem X.

http://www.kmtb.com/bbs/zboard.php?i...egory=1&no=218

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by perioeci
    I'm more than slightly embarrassed to post this video I found in another thread--it (and it's music) is terrible--but it contains some shots of the Anthem X.

In all fairness the video is actually pretty good quality, it was just the idiot in charge of backing music.

I heard Craig was doing wheelies everywhere on the Anthem X at that race, sounds like heís having fun on it.

Closeburn
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by perioeci

Thanks Mate great viid, old school style not current world cup golf course groomed, no personailty.....I was waiting for Jonny T and Ned to start doing battle
    "While I breath I attack'
    Eddy Merckx

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast