Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ed
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Anthem X 29er sizing

I'm thinking of picking up an Anthem X 29er frameset and wondering about size. I'm 5'-9" and currently ride a 17.5" GF 29r HT. Seems like a 18" Medium AX would be the right fit, but they seem to run big. I was wondering what others have chosen that are similar height?

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    I don't have the Anthem X29-er, but I have ridden the XTC 29-er Composite quite extensively. On paper the Small size of both AX29 and XTC29 is the same except the chainstay length. I feel comfortable on the Small XTC (with short inverted stem), and I'm only 5'3" FWIW.
    So your 5'9" posture may fit with the medium.
    What is the top tube length of your GF compare to AX? Start from that if you fell fine with the GF fit.
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

mtbr member
    I'm 5'10 with shorter legs! I went the M. Fits good!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    5'11 and medium is ok...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    5'10' and just ordered M

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    5'-8" Medium.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    5'-10", 30"-31" inseam, medium fits good.

mtbr member
    5-8 or (171-172cm) with a long torso.
    Size small with seat rails pushed back approx 12-15mm and 90mm stem, (soon to be 100mm stem as it was offered free).

Medium was OK in cockpit length but gave (less than) zero stand-over clearance
    For me it just felt like a big bike.

Size small rides really well for my personal taste.
    Good stability, all the benefits of 29" but also very agile.
    I would probably be the upper limit of the size small.

With 90mm stem the bike fits great, almost didn't bother getting 100mm.
    100mm stem will make it perfect for my physical size / bike balance preferences.

You might want to try the medium.
    The LBS often sets them up with all the spacers under the stem.
    Make sure you have the right suspension sag when you test ride.
    Set the seat height/setback and then see if they will let you play around with spacer height/stem lengths (Giant do overdrive 2 stems in 70/90/100mm, maybe also 110mm?).
    Ride Safe.

www.lighttouchchiropractic.com.au Manly Sydney

Tactical Nightmare
    I can totally relate to where you are coming from. I have a 2011 Giant Anthem X 29er 2 sitting at my LBS on layaway. It is a size large, and I am 6 and 170lbs. I was borderline between a medium and a large, and I ended with the large. I think I will be ok with it myself, as I tend to be on lanky side of things, and the stand over height seemed fine. But it is tough to know exactly, especially when you are buying a frameset, not a complete bike. What I figured is that when I am ready to take delivery of my bike, the LBS will take the time to fit me the right way, making needed adjustments and changes before I walk out the door, for me to fine tune later on my own.

Good luck to you with your purchase!
    "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    *2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    http://teamdirt.org/

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by purdyboy View Post
    5-8 or (171-172cm) with a long torso.
    Size small with seat rails pushed back approx 12-15mm and 90mm stem, (soon to be 100mm stem as it was offered free).

Medium was OK in cockpit length but gave (less than) zero stand-over clearance
    For me it just felt like a big bike.

Size small rides really well for my personal taste.
    Good stability, all the benefits of 29" but also very agile.
    I would probably be the upper limit of the size small.

With 90mm stem the bike fits great, almost didn't bother getting 100mm.
    100mm stem will make it perfect for my physical size / bike balance preferences.

You might want to try the medium.
    The LBS often sets them up with all the spacers under the stem.
    Make sure you have the right suspension sag when you test ride.
    Set the seat height/setback and then see if they will let you play around with spacer height/stem lengths (Giant do overdrive 2 stems in 70/90/100mm, maybe also 110mm?).
    Exactly my experience.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    6' and have a large. Love it. :-)

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Resurrect a few week old thread. We have fit my wife (5'7"&1/2) on a Trek Superfly 100, Specialized Epic comp, and Giant Anthem X2. At the Giant shop, they fit her on a small, at the specialized shop they fit her on a medium, and the Trek shop they fit her on a medium. She's in the in-between. I want to go with the Giant Anthem X for a few different reasons, but am wondering if she should get a medium instead....? Any thoughts? It is hard to tell from a trip around the parking lot how she'll feel in the field. She has longer legs and medium torso, basically.

I'm 6'2" and when i sat on the trek medium, i felt like it could fit me...? Advice is welcomed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm 5'8" - I recently rented an Anthem X 29er, size Medium (my personal bike is a Medium Trance X). A few shops have told me a small may work better on an Anthem 29er, they told me that for 29ers if you're close to in-between on sizes, go smaller. But man I gotta say the Medium worked perfect - even with the stock stem. I'm now considering one of these Anthems after that ride, and if I got one it'd be a Medium for sure. I thought it was plenty nimble and manageable - rode it for 4 hours on flowy trails, tight technical trails, and a pump track. Never felt big at all in any way in any of these conditions.

Tactical Nightmare
    After about 8 rides on my new Anthem (large) it really fits me well. I will most likely put a shorter stem on soon, but overall it feels great. For size reference, see my post above. But I really am getting used to this bike now and it is amazing. I can really throw it around and it feels really controllable under me. No feeling that it is too big or that I am "riding on top of it" as some have mentioned. The good thing is that frame size is only one fit aspect. There are different bars, stems, seat positions, etc. that can be adjusted to fit you. One test ride in the parking lot is not much of a test session either. If you can, demo or rent a couple first and actually adjust them as you need. Then, let us know what you ended up with.
    "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    *2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    http://teamdirt.org/

Epic rider
    Although a real world fit and test is leading, have a look at this table. Perhaps it helps.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9100 met Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anthem X 29er sizing-uploadfromtaptalk1336718340510.jpg  

12 Anthem X29
    07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

carbon classic
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for posting this sizing table Rapsac.

Wish I knew about it when I originally got my Anthem x29.

Just recently test rode a Specialized S-works Camber 29 & Stumpjumper 29 and felt completely at home on the large frames, medium just didn't feel right (too cramped after riding the large frames).

That got me thinking that maybe I would've been better getting a large size Anthem x29. I have a medium. (didn't test ride large - was told medium was right for my height) I'm 6ft and 34 inch inseam. This table seems to confirm my thoughts after riding the Spec bikes.

Never knew anything about inseam sizing or had it mentioned to me by LBS when I bought the Anthem.

Anyway, good to know for next time.

Have to say though, still Love riding my Anthem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Interesting chart, wonder why it's not posted right next to the geometry page on the website, would make it easier to pick the right size. Everything including the bikefit calculator on competetive cyclist suggested I should have an XL so I ordered one but somehow (lucky for me) they sent a size Large frame to the LBS. Felt instantly home on that so a L is what I ride. It's a darned big bike anyway

My 95cm inside leg length is off the chart, but I'm 190cm so the chart is right there, I can even raise my saddle another cm before needing to swap to a longer seatpost.

Epic rider
    The chart originates from the Giant UK website.
    12 Anthem X29
    07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm 5'9" and have a 2011 medium. Fits me pefect with the stock 90mm stem and the stock 5 degree bend bar. Needed a 100mm stem when I went to a 10 degree bend low rise bar. I recently tried a large XTC 1 29er and felt a little stretched out. Sorrry, I realize that this is kind of late, but since the thread got resurrected....

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nmarolf View Post
    Resurrect a few week old thread. We have fit my wife (5'7"&1/2) on a Trek Superfly 100, Specialized Epic comp, and Giant Anthem X2. At the Giant shop, they fit her on a small, at the specialized shop they fit her on a medium, and the Trek shop they fit her on a medium. She's in the in-between. I want to go with the Giant Anthem X for a few different reasons, but am wondering if she should get a medium instead....? Any thoughts? It is hard to tell from a trip around the parking lot how she'll feel in the field. She has longer legs and medium torso, basically.

I'm 6'2" and when i sat on the trek medium, i felt like it could fit me...? Advice is welcomed.
    Small is probably OK for her, I'm 5'7" too but shorter legs, longer torso. The medium fits me good but stand-over clearance was zero (think about that next time you do a emergency stop on unfamiliar terrain) so I picked the small.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rapsac View Post
    The chart originates from the Giant UK website.
    They clearly advice smaller at in between sizes...

According to that list, I would need a medium. On that size I would need a 120mm stem, instead of the more practical 100mm I have on my L. My measurements are nothing out of the ordinary. Although a bit on the racey side, my fit is not either.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but anyone 6' ride a medium? I don't like to ride stretched out. I've had two shoulder surgeries and like to ride a bite more upright. My current bike it a 19", 90mm stem with a 23.6" ETT, which is just .2" longer than the medium Anthem. I've ridden a large in a parking lot, felt okay, but like the smallest frame possible. Thanks for any help.

carbon classic
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but anyone 6' ride a medium? I don't like to ride stretched out. I've had two shoulder surgeries and like to ride a bite more upright. My current bike it a 19", 90mm stem with a 23.6" ETT, which is just .2" longer than the medium Anthem. I've ridden a large in a parking lot, felt okay, but like the smallest frame possible. Thanks for any help.
    Hi Lenny7,

I'm 6' tall with a 34" inseam. According to the sizing chart in this thread, I should be on a large.

My AX29er is a medium and I've been riding it for more than a year now. Have to say that it has always felt great to ride. I didn't do a back to back test with the large size frame, so I don't have a direct comparison between the two. However, my M size frame works for me.

As sizing and comfort is a personal thing, you may want to try and get a decent test ride both sizes & just go with what feels right.

Whichever way you go, Enjoy the new ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks Sunday,
    There is only one Giant dealer close, I may try to make it on Saturday and see how a medium feels.

mtbr member
    First, I'm 5'7" to 5'8"ish and I have a 2012 medium. I tried both a small and medium at the shop and I felt crunched on the small.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    I've had two shoulder surgeries and like to ride a bite more upright.
    However, due to your injury history would a 2013 Trance 29er be a better choice? I love my Anthem, but the slacker head angle on the Trance might work better in your situation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast