mtbr member

Anthem X 29er size QUESTION? I am 5'7" Size small or medium?

I am 5'7", with a 30 - 30.5" inseam and my arms are a little long. The small fits up to 5'7" and the medium starts at 5'7"-5'10". I rode them both in the parking lot of my local shop. The small comes stock with a 70mm stem and the medium with a 90mm stem. The stand over on the small is better, the meduim is close, I don't plan on doing a lot of standing over the bike. Just wanted to get the thoughts from any of you that have ridden them on the trail or own a small or meduim andare my size? The small was a little tight/compact, will need to run and 80 or 90 mm stem, the medium was long, I will need to run a 60, 70 or 80mm stem...Not sure what direction to go ??? Is it better to get a small and stretch it out or a medium and make it more compact?

Thank you in advance for any input...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm approximately your height at 5'8 but with somewhat different body proportions 27 inch inseam,long torso. For me the medium is a comfortable fit however since my legs are shorter than yours my torso is probably somewhat longer by the same or even greater amount. You may want to go with a small and simply add a larger stem.

I also have a small XTC Advanced and run it with a 100mm stem and it works for me.

I would suggest going with the smaller bike and running a longer stem. Personally I think it's easier to deal with a bike being too small versus being too large.

I also think smaller bikes in general are more agile. I rode my friend's medium XTC 2 and even though I was able to ride it felt comparatively sluggish compared to my own small XTC advanced.

However oddly enough I prefer riding medium sized 29er's. It feels easier to "cruise" on a medium 29er ,however my small 26 inch bikes feel much more agile.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'8" , ~29" inseam, longer torso. Ride a Medium with the stock 90mm stem. If its close I typically go larger on a MTB, and run a shorter stem for snapper steering. I go smaller on a road bike , personal preferance....

If your serious about buying, swap the stem and ride them in the lot, its only takes a few minutes. Cant imagine the shop not willing to close a $$$$ deal....

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I would go with the small. I was between medium and large and when riding the large it just felt like too much bike. Went with the medium and couldn't be happier. A 50, 60 or 70 stem is darn short for a cross country type mountain bike...downhill you would want that, but not cross country.

bikes, bikes, bikes!
    Apr 2009
    medium for sure! Giant's top tubes are super short on their 29s. I'm 5'6" and I ride a medium and it feels great!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I just read this thread and I'm little bit confused

I'm also 5'7" with sorter legs (about 30") and have NEGATIVE clearance at the boys with the M size. The store didn't have a S so I didn't try that. Good the demo day is only 3 weeks away. But I'll get the chance to do one to one comparison with the regular anthem

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Finally managed to test both the medium and the small. I'm comfortable in the medium but my standover is zero as I mentioned before. The small feels a little bit more compact and more agile (maybe because the shorter stem) and the standover is just a little better. I'm debating between the small with and 90mm stem and the medium, that will bring the reach difference to only 20mm. The deciding factor may be the crank length 170mm in the small (same as my road bike) vs 175mm in the medium; definitively my bad need could tell the difference.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I debated this to and this past weekend was able to get a medium demo bike I am 5-7 or 5-8 with a 29" inseam. Going in I thought for sure I would end up on the small but once I set on it at the shop top tube felt pefect on the Medium and I had a about a inch of standover, which I thought I would have none. If that would have been the case I wouldnt bought the bike.

I also want my saddle and bars level (or saddle slighlty higher) which is a challenge on 29ers but looks like I will able to accompish this but might end up getting a new stem at some point. I think Giant must measure the standover higher up the top tube then some other mfr maybe (just a hunch). Also seems like the bb is low so the seat tube measurement really doesnt mean much as I should still have plenty showing.

Will continue to dial it in when My bikes gets here I am so psyched about about it.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I demoed both the medium and the small but I guess my inseam is less than 29"

I ended up with the small

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by HEMIjer
    I debated this to and this past weekend was able to get a medium demo bike I am 5-7 or 5-8 with a 29" inseam. Going in I thought for sure I would end up on the small but once I set on it at the shop top tube felt pefect on the Medium and I had a about a inch of standover, which I thought I would have none. If that would have been the case I wouldnt bought the bike.

I also want my saddle and bars level (or saddle slighlty higher) which is a challenge on 29ers but looks like I will able to accompish this but might end up getting a new stem at some point. I think Giant must measure the standover higher up the top tube then some other mfr maybe (just a hunch). Also seems like the bb is low so the seat tube measurement really doesnt mean much as I should still have plenty showing.

Will continue to dial it in when My bikes gets here I am so psyched about about it.
    Seems odd that you would have that much standover on the medium, I have a ~32" inseam and I don't have much to spare...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I had this same debate, 5-7 30" inseam & rode both Anthem S & M 29ers at a demo day & liked the Medium, I have almost no stand over on the medium but just felt more comfortable when riding the bike. I think a lot depends on personal preference & the way you like the bike to feel, but going into it I thought for sure I'd want a small after reading everyones reviews but bought a med anthem x1 29er the next day & love it! The bike shop I bought thru (Cal Coast in San Diego) offered to order me a 70 stem that I can try out & see what I like more. I'm going to try out the new stem when I take the bike in for the first tune up this week & will give my thoughts on a medium with 70 stem but if you have the chance or a demo day near you I'd deff ride both bikes & see what you like for yourself.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I am 5' 6.5". 29" inseam - short to med torso, 32' (ish) sleeve length

Small fits perfect - still tight on standover, but M afforded none - with some very minor fore/aft saddle adjust (had a light touch fit at the shop, but the owners been fitting for 30 yrs) the bike fits perfect with stock stem and have been enjoying it since last august... least amount of fit issues of any bike I've ridden in the past 5 yrs for me

If the shop is good at fit - they should be able to put on a rear stand, and quickly look at the reach from the seat - to headset or bars(some do this differently) lengths and determine the best option to dial you in ...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I am 5 foot 11, with a 32 inch inseam, what size should I go with.
    I'll be taking these huggies, and whatever cash you have in the drawer

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    5'6" with a 29" inseam, got to ride the S at a demo day last year. The bike felt perfect.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

small size weight

Do you know what's the weight of a small sized 2012 Anthem x29 0, stock/no upgrades?