Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Anthem x 29er Chainstay hit

So...

I was packing my bike into my car yesterday when I noticed a dent on my non-drive side chainstay. I'll try and post a picture later, but for now, I would describe it as a a dent maybe an inch long, and a mm or two deep. The paint has been scratched off a little.

My question is this: is my bike compromised? I thought I read somewhere that Aluminium can take a dent and keep on ticking.

Any thoughts you might have on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    If you bought it from a shop, I'd take it up there for an opinion... better view than an internet pic.

It doesn't sound too bad. It will be a weak spot, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will fail. I'm not suggesting that you keep riding it, but I probably would , unless there's a crack, or it's bent out of alignment. Is it still shifting/braking OK?

mtbr member
    Thanks d365.

I will take it into the shop where I bought it, but they're sort of hit or miss (more miss) on customer service to be honest. Typically, if there's something I can't do myself, I take it to a different (non-Giant) shop which has excellent service. I'm just trying to avoid the PIA of going and talking to those numpties but I realize I must at some point.

It does not appear to be cracked and the shifting and braking do not appear to have been affected.

Has anyone on here had to replace the rear triangle? What am I looking at cost wise?

~Reformed Mechanic~
    We need a pic to be of any help to you man.
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have almost the same situation, noticed a dent in the drive-side chainstay a couple of weeks ago.

Don't have a clue how this might have happened since I haven't crashed or anything like that.

I have asked about this from Giant UK, but they have not responded yet. Nevertheless I've been riding quite a lot after I noticed this and seems to be holding ok.

BTW does anybody have an idea what would a new rear triangle cost? Just in case...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anthem x 29er Chainstay hit-csdent.jpg  

mtbr member

Pictures

Ok, I tried to take some pics, but my camera phone doesn't really pick it up well.

but for what it's worth, take a look:

and

I'm going to take it into the shop today to get their opinion.

mtbr member
    your fine, no cracks no problems. unless something is bent and getting in the way of a working part.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    I don't know dude... that's a little worse than I was picturing. that crease along the top would be my concern... could just be paint, hard to tell from the pic. I would definitely take it to a shop for closer inspection (by someone who knows a thing or two). I'm totally guessing... a rear triangle around $300?

mtbr member
    I just took it to he shop I bought it from and was dismissed almost immediately. They said "ah that's just a battle scar, you're fine." I was in and out in less than 5 minutes. So I guess that's good news, although it wasn't the most thorough investigation and sort of par for the course for that shop. lame.

The crease along the top appears to be just paint but I won't know for sure unless I peel the paint back.

I dunno. What am I suppose to do, just ride it until it fails? Or maybe it is fine. Who knows?

mtbr member
    well, it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion from a shop you trust, if you're still concerned.

I would chip back the paint, and see if you can feel / see a crack or sharp ridge. If it's good, get some auto touch up paint, and put a few coats over it. If the paint cracks again, you'll know somethings up. .02

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    I would chip back the paint, and see if you can feel / see a crack or sharp ridge. If it's good, get some auto touch up paint, and put a few coats over it. If the paint cracks again, you'll know somethings up. .02
    I was thinking about doing exactly this. thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    well, it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion from a shop you trust, if you're still concerned.

This is sound advise, touch up paint to monitor the situation.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    The first posters pic is an example of something that "Should" be a non issue. The second set of pics however is a lil questionable, hard to tell by those pics...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    The first posters pic is an example of something that "Should" be a non issue. The second set of pics however is a lil questionable, hard to tell by those pics...
    I think the first poster's pic is in fact a non-issue, if the proposed issue is the indent directly after the chain rings on the face of the chainstay. My bike has that same indent. I think it's there to give clearance for the chainrings as the suspension moves through its cycle.

I was able to chip away that cracked paint and the aluminium is dented but not cracked or creased. So... fingers crossed, I'm good to go. I'm going to cover it up with fresh paint and monitor as suggested.

Thanks again all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xizor1 View Post
    I have almost the same situation, noticed a dent in the drive-side chainstay a couple of weeks ago.

Don't have a clue how this might have happened since I haven't crashed or anything like that.

I have asked about this from Giant UK, but they have not responded yet. Nevertheless I've been riding quite a lot after I noticed this and seems to be holding ok.

BTW does anybody have an idea what would a new rear triangle cost? Just in case...
    That's not a dent, that's just the way the chainstay on that side of the bike is supposed to be. My bike looks exactly the same, I guess if for chain clearance, but I admit it looks just like a dent. The OP photo is a dent,

mtbr member
    You know, I was thinking about the new anthem X 29er advance and how some folks disapproved of the fact that the rear triangle was still Al and not CF. I suppose anyone who purchases the advance model who is unlucky enough to bang their chainstay as I have done will be glad to have AL back there...

I get it that if you're paying $9K for a bike, you want the best of the best, and perhaps can afford to replace a frame, but still...

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by enfig View Post
    That's not a dent, that's just the way the chainstay on that side of the bike is supposed to be. My bike looks exactly the same, I guess if for chain clearance, but I admit it looks just like a dent. The OP photo is a dent,
    I checked mine also and it is indeed suppose to be there, Non issue like I said

Quote Originally Posted by thewake View Post
    You know, I was thinking about the new anthem X 29er advance and how some folks disapproved of the fact that the rear triangle was still Al and not CF. I suppose anyone who purchases the advance model who is unlucky enough to bang their chainstay as I have done will be glad to have AL back there...

I get it that if you're paying $9K for a bike, you want the best of the best, and perhaps can afford to replace a frame, but still...
    I ride both CF and Alloy, and in my experience the CF is more resistant to hits that would dent AL. The reason Giant kept the Alloy is because the cost for them to create a whole new rear triangle mold and the additional cost to customers was not worth the couple of grams it would shave... The good news is that rear triangle should be a lot cheaper to replace in the event of crash as Alloy vs if it were carbon...

btw - the advanced frameset is only $2500 which is cheaper than most 29er FS carbon framesets, its not necessarily a 9k bike...
    Last edited by Ace5high; 08-14-2012 at 02:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by enfig View Post
    Thanks, now I feel silly. I was absolutely sure it was a dent and not something that had been there all along...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Xizor1 View Post
    Thanks, now I feel silly. I was absolutely sure it was a dent and not something that had been there all along...
    This is a dent (or dents)!!!!!! :-(
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anthem x 29er Chainstay hit-anthem_dents.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oh man, that sucks.

Please keep us posted as to what, if anything, Giant does for you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Oh man, that sucks.

Please keep us posted as to what, if anything, Giant does for you.
    I got a replacement rear triangle under some crash replacement deal - not free, but a really good deal.

All my fault, wrapped it a round a tree going too fast on an unfamiliar descent on a new bike I wasn't completely used to. It's all fixed up now and ready for my North Carolina trip next month :-)

mtbr member
    To the OP, Everyone is guessing like me but it looks a bit more severe than I pictured as well. I'd keep a close eye on it and not to try to set any downhill speed records or sketchy drops until you are sure it fine. Probably OK

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Ok, I tried to take some pics, but my camera phone doesn't really pick it up well.

but for what it's worth, take a look:

and

I'm going to take it into the shop today to get their opinion.
    nvm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    nvm.
    nvm?

Sorry, I can be fairly internet dumb (among many other kinds of dumb). What does this mean?

In other news, I sanded it down and repainted (GM Arctic White matched pretty well) and so far so good.

mtbr member

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast